The age old question of whether jam or cream should be put on a scone first leaves the country divided over one of its favourite pastimes. The Devonshire method dictates that you should smother a scone in cream before adding jam, while the Cornish method suggests jam should be applied first.
Below, Executive Head Chef at Sopwell House, Gopi Chandran, aims to help this debate by giving his top tips for how to serve, eat and enjoy your scones.
While plain scones are delicious served
- Tom Kerridge, chef-owner of the two star Michelin pub, The Hand and Flowers in Marlow and Jumeirah Carlton Tower, the renowned Knightsbridge luxury hotel, have announced that they will be working together in 2017.
Located off Sloane Street, The Rib Room Bar and Restaurant will close early in 2017 for a complete renovation and will re-open as a stand-alone restaurant under the creative leadership of Kerridge and his team. This will be Kerridge’s first foray in London and marks a new era for
- The Coaching Inn Group has secured a further £10 million investment from BGF (Business Growth Fund) to support a planned £50 million expansion across the UK. The Boston, Lincolnshire headquartered business, which this weekend was named one of The Sunday Times Virgin Fast Track 100 ‘Ones To Watch’, currently operates 12 coaching inns and will use the capital to increase the size of its portfolio to 25 properties by March 2019.
The £10 million injection follows
- Notting Hill restaurant Kensington Place has launched a brand new brunch menu. Created by Head Chef Ian Waghorn, the menu will feature light and revitalising dishes, with an emphasis on fresh seafood from The Fish Shop, the on-site fishmongers.
Available every Saturday and Sunday, from 12pm – 3.30pm, new menu will feature KP soft shell crab sandwich, gem lettuce, chilli jam and crushed avocado, poached egg, chilli, lime, charred dill and buckwheat loaf. Sweet dishes and brunch cocktails w
- Hotels across the UK enjoyed increased visitor numbers off the back of the Brexit vote, according to the latest data from the Expedia group.
The findings drawn from Q3 2016* (July, August, September) show that, unsurprisingly, London continues to be the top destination for travellers, but other top regional cities across the UK also experienced double digit growth in demand.
The regional powerhouses of Manchester, Birmingham, and Leeds all recorded a year-on-year increase in travel demand of mo
- Forget stuffing the turkey, peeling the potatoes and chopping the carrots, this year let someone else take care of the festive faff and enjoy a decadent four-course Christmas feast with all the trimmings at your local Young’s or Geronimo Inn’s pub. We’ve shortlisted just a few pubs, but check out your local and make it your home from home, ensuring you make the most of the big day.Alternatively, if you’re cooking up a treat at home, pop into the pub and treat yourself to
- Jamie Stevens, Regional General Manager of The Village Hotels in Scotland
Building upon recent successes enjoyed by the organisation, including its highest ever membership rate and undisputed role as the voice of its sector, Greater Glasgow Hoteliers Association is set to embark upon the next phase of its evolution.
Jamie Stevens, Regional General Manager of the Village Hotels in Scotland, and Janice Fisher, General Manager of Ibis Glasgow City Centre Hotel have been appointed Joint Chairs of Gr
- Shepherd Neame, the Kent-based brewer, pub and hotel operator has acquired Village Green Restaurants Limited from Alex and Helen Bensley for a total consideration of £11.85m.
Village Green Restaurants Limited operates five freehold pub restaurants in and around Maidstone and Ashford in the company’s Kent heartland. All the pub restaurants will be operated under Shepherd Neame’s managed pub division. The last audited accounts for the year ending 31 October 2015 for the co
- Kew Green Group Ltd has announced a new brand identity with the reveal of a revitalised logo and revolutionized website as they embark on the next stage of company growth. This coincides with the opening of the first Kew Green branded hotel in Hong Kong by HK CTS Hotels Co ltd.
The overhaul of the existing visual identity has been designed to embody the bold spirit of Kew Green and the team behind it. The new website will showcase a fantastic suite of assets that cater perfectly to the needs of
- On Tuesday 6 December, the Musicians’ Union, the UK Live Music Group, and the Music Venue Trust will all give evidence to the Lords committee examining licensing legislation.
The Lords Committee on the Licensing Act 2003 is exploring the effectiveness of the Act, how it serves local communities, commerce and entertainment, and its wider impact on society.
It will turn its attention next week to live music venues, and look at the role the Licensing Act currently plays in this area.
- This January, The Blues Kitchen will share its kitchen with New York’s cult dining institution, Extra Fancy for an extra special collaboration lasting just three nights: Monday 30th January to Wednesday 1st February.Extra Fancy vs The Blues Kitchen, will see the feverishly adored American clam shack’s chefs fly over to serve their ‘Surf’. Six of their iconic New England inspired seafood dishes will be available in London for the first time as part of an epic ‘Surf
- Luxury London based serviced apartment specialist Cheval Residences came home with two coveted awards on Wednesday from the ASAP Serviced Apartment Industry Awards 2016. Cheval Residences won the much sought after accolade of ‘Guest Experience Award’ and George Westwell, director of Cheval Residences, won the ‘Outstanding Individual Award’.
After such a successful evening, George Westwell says: “I am delighted that the hard work of all at Cheval Residences ha
- Live At Zédel, Soho’s unique live entertainment concept, has announced its second season of live music, musical theatre, cabaret and comedy, launching in January 2017. Following on from the huge success of its launch in September 2016, Live At Zedel’s new season will feature a programme jam-packed with themed festivals, one-off specials, brand new talent, its first self-produced musical and well-loved residencies.
Produced in partnership with United Agents, Live At Zedel&rsqu
- American restaurant chain, Jackson + Rye, is delighted to open its latest branch in Guildford, Surrey. This will be its sixth restaurant serving up delicious home-cooked east coast American food. Inspired by New York designers, Roman + Williams, this new restaurant will be opening its doors on Thursday 8th December at 219 High Street, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 3BJ.
Sarah Gale, Manager at Jackson + Rye in Guildford says: “It’s been a busy few months for Jackson + Rye as we launche
- Radio Alice is to launch in Hoxton Square on Monday. Second things second: Radio Alice is not a radio station but a pizzeria (although you can tune in to the restaurant’s playlist on their web site). Except, to call it a pizzeria doesn’t really do it justice. And calling it a gastronomic revolution in pizza-based entertainment might be taking it a little too seriously.
The truth is perhaps somewhere in between. It all began with brothers Salvatore and Matteo Aloe, who, skint out of
- In the first partnership of its kind at England’s rugby headquarters, Engage and Gaucho created the perfect culinary accompaniment to the day’s main event, England’s Old Mutual Wealth Series match against Argentina which was held on Saturday 26th November at Twickenham.
Hosted by ex-England and Harlequins winger Ugo Monye, guests enjoyed the chance of dining with current England Internationals, including Marland Yarde and Jack Clifford.
Andrew Hodgkins, Engage’s managing
- Ricardo Costa, Executive Chef at the The Yeatman Hotel
Ricardo Costa, Executive Chef at the The Yeatman Hotel, was awarded the ‘Rising Chef’ trophy at the annual Relais & Châteaux Trophies Awards Gala in Tokyo yesterday. It’s been a week of culinary achievements for the luxury Portuguese hotel, as on Thursday, the Gastronomic Restaurant at The Yeatman became the first restaurant ever in Porto to be awarded two Michelin Stars.
The Relais & Châteaux Trophies r
- Belambra Hotels & Resorts in France has announced the expansion of its winter portfolio, welcoming four new resort hotels in Tignes, La Plagne, Les Arcs and Morzine for guests to enjoy in the forthcoming winter season. Belambra now offers 14 locations across the French Alps, and 58 sites in total across the most beautiful areas of France and Corsica.
In keeping with Belambra’s ethos, the new resort hotels will cater to holidaymakers looking for affordable, family-friendly accommodatio
- Coco di Mama, London’s first quick service Italian, will be opening a new outlet on Coleman Street, EC2, in mid-December. This will be the 15th store, and the 7th new opening this calendar year.Coco di Mama’s co-founder, Daniel Land, said, “Jeremy and I are so proud of how Coco di Mama is growing and evolving. We’re still at the stores every day to make sure our team and our customers are experiencing Coco exactly as we first intended – to support their success and
- This coming January, Brasserie Zédel will be transformed into a breath-taking concert hall for a one night only collaboration with The Philharmonia Orchestra. Having already played a series of intimate shows at Crazy Coqs, this is the first time the full Philharmonia Orchestra will perform at the venue surrounded by diners.Partnering with Live At Zédel, The Philharmonia Orchestra has added accessible and varied evenings of musical entertainment to the already very diverse Autumn/W
- The ALMR has responded to the Government’s review of gaming machines and social responsibility measures calling for a more attractive offer for customers using Category C machines.
The ALMR’s submission has called for an increase in stakes to £2 and an increase in the maximum prize to £150.
The ALMR is also pushing for a modernisation of standards, incorporating cashless payments, along the lines of remote gaming to allow for innovation in the sector.
ALMR Chief Executive
- Paul Anstey, CEO Schools & Universities and executive sponsor of the disability work stream
Sodexo, the world’s largest services company, is marking tomorrow’s United Nations International Day for People with Disabilities by highlighting its partnership with Havering College.
Three young people from Havering College are now employed by Sodexo at Queen’s Hospital, Romford, having taken part in an intern partnership.
Sodexo has made a global commitment all of its workforce wi
- DrinkUp.London is pleased to welcome their newest recruit, Ali Dedianko, who joins the team as Festival Director for London Beer Week (13-19 March 2017).
Ali has made the move to beer from spirits, having spent the past 6 years at Belvedere Vodka, where she worked as Global Brand Ambassador before being promoted to Director of Education.
Although the jump from the world of premium vodka to that of all things hopped may seem unusual, beer has always been Ali’s personal passion and she has
- This week a select group of top influencers in some of the UK’s biggest national businesses came together to discuss the challenges of putting food provision at the heart of sustainability and staff wellbeing strategies.
The round table discussion was led by the Soil Association and held at the HQ of Pearson (FTSE 100) in London. Attendees included heads of CSR and forward thinking caterers from businesses including the Bank of England, the Environment Agency, Dixons Carphone, Harbour + J
Scottish Rugby extends Elior UK catering contract
Elior UK's contract to supply corporate hospitality, conference and event matchday catering at BT Murrayfield has been extended by another 10 years. The new contract continues a seven year relationship between the home of Scottish Rugby and Elior UK ...en meer »
- Ellenborough Park have been named as the UK winner of the Luxury Small Hotel award at the 10th Annual World Luxury Hotel Awards.The World Luxury Hotel Awards are the pinnacle of recognition of accomplishment by a hotel in the luxury hospitality industry, offering recognition to hotels for earning the respect of guests and industry players alike, by awarding hotels, as voted for by the public, in over 60 categories.
Ellenborough Park’s General Manager Oliver Williams commented: “We a
- Ember London is a new hidden bar, dining and late night destination in Monument. It has pooled the talents of top chefs, mixologists and sommeliers to create an innovative drinking and gastronomic experience, with every dish on the menu designed to be paired with items from the extensive cocktail, sake, rare spirits and wine list.Located at one of London’s most famous locations on Pudding Lane where the Great Fire of London started in 1666. The venue’s name references this event and
- Ben Gabbitas, Group Resourcing Manager, Malmaison Hotel du Vin
Malmaison Hotel du Vin, the iconic boutique hotel brand, strengthens its leadership team with the appointment of a new Group Resourcing Manager, Ben Gabbitas.
Ben will be responsible for the group’s talent and resourcing strategy, in line with the brands distinctive offering and people values. With extensive experience in the hospitality industry, Ben has held a number of senior roles at The Restaurant Group, Carluccios and Loc
- A new concept restaurant is combining a Michelin-recognised chef, Sardinian producers and more than 65 years of experience to bring Sardinian-influenced Italian food to North London.
The new restaurant, Bosa, is named after the owners’ town on the island of Sardinia and offers a wide range of typical Italian food alongside traditional Sardinian recipes.
Angelo Sanna, Managing Director of Bosa, said that he wanted to give people the opportunity to experience the delights of an Italian chil
- Next month from 2nd – 10th December Marrakesh will be filled with even more glamour than usual when internationally acclaimed film directors, film stars, cast and crew arrive for the 16th Annual International Film Festival of Marrakesh.Designed to create an intercultural bridge between nations, last year there were more than 94,000 guests in attendance with notables including Martin Scorsese, Gemma Arterton and Monica Bellucci. This year they pay tribute to the legendary French actress Is
- PizzaExpress has become one of the first casual dining brands to utilise the power of Facebook Messenger bots in their Christmas campaign.
In restaurant marketing materials displayed across all 460 restaurants feature Facebook Messenger code which diners simply scan in, using their phones to access an exclusive ‘Shake The Tree’ game. The game gives diners the chance to win prizes including free pizzas, Dough Balls and much more.Every customer who plays the game will receive a person
- Shake Shack Leicester Square will open its doors on Thursday, December 8th at 11 AM. The Leicester Square Shack will be located in the bustling heart of the West End, on the corner of Wardour and Coventry Street, within close proximity to the capital’s celebrated cinemas and theatre district.
A critically acclaimed, modern day “roadside” burger stand, Shake Shack has earned a cult like following around the world. A fun and lively community gathering place, Shake Shack is known
- The new 146-apartment Aparthotels Adagio overlooking Edinburgh’s Royal Mile will open for business on December 19, completing the latest phase of the city’s New Waverley development. Linking the Royal Mile with the historic Canongate area at the heart of the city’s Old Town, the aparthotel overlooks a new football pitch-sized public square which officially opens in early December, becoming the first significant public space to open in the city centre for more than 50 year
- British seaside restaurant Bonnie Gull is delighted to announce the opening of its second Seafood Shack in Soho on Monday 12th December, offering Londoners the very best of daily fresh British fish and shellfish.
Following the success of its much-loved flagship site in Fitzrovia – now celebrating its fifth year – Bonnie Gull Soho will welcome customers from far and wide into its tiny but beautifully formed venue, tucked away in the heart of Soho on Bateman Street.
- Lexington Catering is launching a new range of healthy foods this Christmas to help customers get into the festive season without losing sight of their health goals.
The new lighter range will sit alongside our traditional Christmas offering and will be available from the 1st December 2016. It is not just about lighter options but the goodness within meals – customers can opt for a slightly healthier treat over the festive season, without compromising on flavour.
Most of the lighter range
- Florian Broemel, General Manager, K West Hotel & Spa in in Shepherd’s Bush
Florian Broemel returns to K West Hotel & Spa in Shepherd’s Bush as General Manager, following eight years perfecting his managerial skills in the wider industry.
In his new role at the helm of the fun and vibrant hotel, Florian will oversee the running of K West’s 219 guestrooms, as well as its popular K Spa, Studio Bar, Studio Kitchen. The hotel also has four versatile meeting spaces.
- Harris+Hoole is delighted to have won the Best Coffee Chain award (UK & IE) at the European Coffee Awards in Budapest for the third year running.This year the coffee retailer, which is part of the Caffè Nero family, defended its title versus high street giants Costa Coffee and Pret A Manger.
The European Coffee Awards are the most prestigious awards in the European coffee and food-to-go sector. Now in its ninth year, the awards recognise and promote company and individual excellence
- Young’s, the premium pub and hotel company, has launched a revolutionary new mobile app, ‘Young’s On Tap’, to transform the pub experience for all its customers, which is now available on the Apple App Store.Customers will now be able to find and book over 170 Young’s and Geronimo pubs as well as pay their bill – and even split it between friends – all from their mobile, using an integrated payment system on the Young’s app via QKR! with Masterpas
- Niall Keating, Executive Chef, Whatley Manor
Christian Landolt, Owner of Whatley Manor, and the hotel’s new General Manager, Sue Williams, have announced the appointment of Niall Keating as Executive Chef, following the recent departure of Martin Burge. Niall will join the hotel from 1 December 2016, and will oversee the entire food and beverage operation, including the two restaurants and all private dining functions. (He will introduce his own menus from 14 January 2017, following the fe
- Flock to the top of the capital’s hottest new rooftop destination, Aviary, opening with an exclusive 50% off food soft launch offer from Thursday 1st – Sunday 4th December (inclusive).
Perched on the 10th floor of the new Montcalm Royal London House Hotel in Finsbury Square with enviable views out over the City, leading restaurant and bar operator ETM Group has taken dining to new a whole new level with its first sky-high restaurant and terrace bar.
Nestled between the City and Shor
- Just yards from the Shard, Borough Market and London Bridge station stands a building that sums up why so many prized restauranteurs are making the move to SE1. St Thomas’s is a stunning, grade one listed church conversion with planning permission to turn it into a 6,500 square foot restaurant. So it’s not just that fierce competition and sky high rents make gaining a foothold in Mayfair and the West End such a difficult process. It’s also the fact that SE1 has so much t
- Park Regis CBSO Ellie Griffiths and Robin Ford
Park Regis has joined forces with the world-renowned City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra (CBSO) in a 12-month commercial agreement to become its exclusive hotel partner.
The partnership will see Park Regis provide valuable support to the CBSO by hosting a series of corporate and pre-concert events, as well as providing hotel clients with opportunities to enjoy the CBSO in action at Birmingham’s Symphony Hall.
Robin Ford, general manager at P
- The 2017 Mogford Short Story Prize is now officially open. The competition invites budding writers of all ages to pen an original short story focused on Food & Drink. With a lucrative top prize of £10,000 awarded to the winning author, this year’s competition sees star of the BBC’s Great British Bake Off and national treasure Mary Berry lead the judging panel alongside award winning English Novelist Phillip Pullman.
Food & Drink must be at the heart of the tale. Storie
- A nationwide search has been launched to find the luckiest person in Scotland to be the first-footer at a luxury Scottish castle hotel’s first ever Hogmanay celebration.
Inspired by the centuries-old Scots’ tradition, Crossbasket Castle near Glasgow is looking to welcome a tall, dark handsome stranger bearing gifts, who will bring with the midnight bells good fortune for the year ahead.
To help with their search, the castle has teamed up with Glasgow-based talent scout, All Talent A
- Shuang Shuang, Shaftesbury Avenue’s specialist hot pot restaurant, is to continue its’ collaboration series this month with som saa, who will bring the lesser known flavours of regional Thailand to the boil with their ‘Kuai Tiao Ruea’ noodle soup. Co-head Chefs Andy Oliver and Mark Dobbie will premier their limited edition hot pot from November 15th, which will run as a special on the Shuang Shuang menu for the month to follow.
Joining Chinese tradition with Thai ingredi
- This January, Bala Baya brings a day in the life of Tel Aviv to Southwark’s Union Street Arches. Bala Baya will bring the raw creativity of Tel Aviv’s hip, all-day eateries to London. A sleek Bauhaus-inspired restaurant, this is the first stand alone project from Israeli-born Head Chef Eran Tibi, formerly of Ottolenghi, Made in Camden and the critically acclaimed Zest@JW3.Eran, whose vibrantly progressive cuisine is rooted in his mother’s Middle Eastern home cooking and genera
- On November 15th, ASK Italian is launching its new Christmas menu range, so gather the good people around you and get ready to simply have a Super Festivo time!
ASK Italian are encouraging guests to take a step back from the daily grind and connect with loved ones this Christmas, like generations of Italians do. So why not enjoy Christmas like an Italian, by gathering all your friends, indulging in great food and immersing yourself in the Super Festivo cheer to truly embody the spirit of an Ita
- By choosing Hoist Group as your hospitality partner you simply get more. More expertise, wider product range and better service. But our customers also get less. Less stress, fewer contacts and less hassle.Better streaming. Less disruption.
We help you create a functional and reliable IT environment with the latest technology that makes your work easier and increases your revenue. We manage the whole process, from planning and installation to after-sales service and sup
- Shaun Cremins, Brand Director, Black and White Hospitality
Black and White Hospitality has appointed Shaun Cremins as Brand Director to support the company’s sustained growth.
Black and White owns the franchise rights to five Marco Pierre White restaurant brands, Wheeler’s of St. James’s, Steakhouse Bar & Grill, Mr. White’s English Chophouse, Marco’s New York Italian and Bardolino Pizzeria, Bellini & Espresso Bar. The company has experienced rapid expansion
- On 2nd December, one of the world’s leading gastronomic pioneers, Virgilio Martinez, will bring a taste of his internationally acclaimed restaurant, Central, to the UK for the first time. Located in the Peruvian capital, Central is ranked #4 in The World’s 50 Best Restaurants. Set to take place at the chef’s London outpost, Michelin-starred LIMA Fitzrovia, the evening will be a celebration of the upcoming launch of Virgilio’s monograph, Central (P
Follow @catering_uknews on Twitter!