Will Macpherson, General Manager, Marriott Edinburgh West hotelA General Manager has been appointed to lead the team at the brand new Courtyard by Marriott Edinburgh West hotel, when it opens in summer 2017.
Experienced hotelier Will Macpherson will be tasked with overseeing the launch and management of the new 160 bedroom modular build hotel, sited on the Heriot Watt University Campus in Edinburgh, as well as ensuring its ongoing success.
The new hotel, located to the west of Edinburgh city cen
- Co-head chefs Andy Oliver and Mark Dobbie of som saaFor the month of April, Som Saa will be collaborating with their neighbours Pitt Cue, combining the flavours of regional Thailand with Pitt Cue’s bold and punchy barbecue cooking. Available throughout the month, the kitchens have teamed up to create a brand new dish especially for one another’s restaurant.
Co-head chefs Andy Oliver and Mark Dobbie of som saa, have worked with Pitt Cue founder, Tom Adams and Head Chef, Oscar Holgado
- Today is World Water Day, with the theme of wastewater, something close to the heart of each luxury property belonging to Corinthia Hotels.
Corinthia’s environmental sustainability is championed through its Premier Partnership with international water-aid charity Just A Drop. Over the last three years Corinthia has brought life-changing clean water to a total of 43,325 children and families across five Just A Drop projects, the most recent in Zambia and Tanzania.
As a collection of luxury
- Smashburger, one of the fastest growing restaurant concepts in the US, is heading to the South West this May to open its fourth UK restaurant in Bath City Centre on Southgate Street.
What makes this burger different? The secret’s in the “smash” – a unique method of cooking whereby 100% British Red Tractor Assured beef is hand-formed into a meatball and then smashed onto a hot buttered grill, searing in all the juices and flavour, producing a burger unlike any other. Comb
- As we all know Spring is here so I wanted to convey this with my Image of the Month.Again collaborating with the fantastic Dave Pigram from the Harbour + Jones team. I love working with Dave. His passion and excitement in the kitchen is contagious and he never fails to produce dishes that I simply can’t wait to photograph.The collaboration this time, is with the lovely Maham Anjum. I have worked with Maham in the past. She’s such a lovely lady and makes all her own creations from the
- The iconic glass and steel cube Seafood Restaurant, which overlooks the North Sea on Saint Andrews’ Bruce Embankment, has been acquired by young entrepreneur, Stefano Pieraccini.
A graduate in marketing and commercial management, Stefano, 22, will be mentored by his father, Adrian Pieraccini, a distinguished restauranteur who previously owned the Rocca restaurant in the Fife town and, before that, the 5 star Rocpool hotel and restaurants in Inverness.
With a new name, the Seafood Ristoran
- Pantheon has just launched a trio of sector-specific blade packs for its popular VPM Vegetable Preparation Machine to simplify the options for the various types of user whilst also bringing down the cost.
The plug-in VPM is exceptionally durable with an all metal hopper and base and will withstand continuous use across a wide variety of foods from nuts and hard fruits and vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, celery and apples, through to softer items like breads, cheeses and even chocolate, wi
- Undercounter with integral RO and water softener saves space, too
Winterhalter’s new undercounter warewashers, the UC Excellence iPlus, uses a new hybrid technology that combines reverse osmosis (RO) and a water softener. This offers a variety of benefits, including preventing blockages of the RO membrane, extending membrane life and ensuring perfect wash results from first wash to last.
It is generally understood that a reverse osmosis system coupled with a top quality warewasher i
- Neil Manhas, General Manager of Pizza Hut Delivery and Express UKPizza Hut International today announced a restructuring of its European business to further accelerate growth across the region. This involves the consolidation of two separate teams, Pizza Hut Europe and Pizza Hut UK & Ireland into one central entity, Pizza Hut Europe & UK, that will lead the European business through a period of expansion and development.
Raphael Miolane, previously CEO of Pizza Hut UK & Ireland, will
- Shezan Aslam and Nick Taplin at Buckingham PalaceThe owner of Cadbury House in North Somerset and boss of one of the country’s fastest growing hospitality businesses was a special guest at Buckingham Palace where he met the Duke of Edinburgh.
Nick Taplin, who was accompanied by Shezan Aslam his fellow director at Black & White Hospitality, were invited to the palace on the back of efforts to raise £60,000 for Action Medical Research for Children of which the Duke is patron.
The Clink Charity awarded â€˜Social Enterprise Awardâ€™ and Â£10,000 prize by the Centre for Social JusticeInnovative rehabilitation initiative The Clink Charity was presented with the Centre for Social Justice’s (CSJ) ‘Social Enterprise Award’ at the CSJ Awards, held at Central Hall in Westminster on Tuesday 21 March 2017.
Celebrating the work of grassroots charities, the award recognises The Clink’s effective and innovative approach to reducing reoffending rates of ex-offenders through accredited hospitality training and education, with award sponsors Deutsche Bank’s
- Hospitality & Catering News
The UK's first Crackling menu, with lashings of beer
Hospitality & Catering News
The George pub at the Andaz London Liverpool Street, is launching the UK's first crackling menu, designed to complement the venue's extensive craft beer list. This new offering includes classic crackling, Pork and Chicken, along with more innovative ...
- Leading hospitality management company Focus Hotels Management has expanded its ownership of hotel properties with the acquisition of the freehold of the Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel in Hatfield, Hertfordshire from Aviva Investors. Focus has for the last seven years operated the hotel under a lease.
The company has immediately started a major programme of refurbishment at this modern three-star hotel covering all guest areas, creating additional capacity and upgrading its rating to four star.
- The George pub at the Andaz London Liverpool Street, is launching the UK’s first crackling menu, designed to complement the venue’s extensive craft beer list.This new offering includes classic crackling, Pork and Chicken, along with more innovative varieties, Parma Ham and Parmesan & Polenta.
Each one has been perfectly paired with a complementing craft beer:
Pork Crackling with Lemongrass Saison
Chicken Crackling with Shoreditch Blonde
Parmesan and Polenta Crackling (Choice of
- Lord’s Cricket Ground, owned by MCC, has been voted the No.1 Sporting Venue by BDRC Continental, based on customer feedback for the sixth year running.
The award by the UK’s largest independent research consultancy recognises excellent meetings hospitality based entirely on event feedback from business event hosts.
Venues that consistently provide an excellent customer service experience are awarded a range of group and individual accreditations.
In BDRC Continental’s Venue Aw
- Guinness’s plan to become the world’s biggest beer brand is big and bold, given that the global beer market is forecast to be worth circa $700 billion by 2020.Guinness has appointed marketing agency R/GA London to help them achieve their goal. The strategy is that social and digital channels will get the beer brand to the top, not traditional media and not more TV campaigns.
A spokesman for R/GA said: “R/GA London can confirm it has been appointed digital agency of record for t
- Gary Neville has dispelled rumours that plans for his 700,000 sq ft development, St. Michael’s, have been ‘pulled’.
Following his talk at international property exhibition, MIPIM, Gary said that proposals for the development will be refined, to ensure the final design is ‘perfect’ for Manchester. This will result in a short-term planning delay while designs are amended, but not a full withdrawal of the initial submission.
During a 15-minute presentation at MIPIM (c
- For those who believe a balanced diet is a cookie in each hand, DoubleTree by Hilton, one of Hilton’s 14 market-leading brands, has perfected the recipe … make that recipes.
To celebrate reaching a milestone of 500 hotels worldwide, the upscale brand known for its signature welcome and warm DoubleTree Cookie, unveils its first-ever cookbook – aptly titled “We Have Cookies: Taste the World of DoubleTree by Hilton.” As a new way to welcome guests around the world, th
- Ayrshire College – winnersAfter a gripping live theatre final at ScotHot 2017 on the 15th March, Iona Duncan, Agnieska Dudko and Katarazyna Hospodarewska from Ayrshire College were crowned Country Range Student Chef Challenge champions of 2017.
Competing against college teams from around the UK including Blackpool and Fylde College, City College Norwich, City of Liverpool College, Glasgow Clyde College, Henley College, Hopwood Hall College and Loughborough College, the Ayrshire College sta
Pierre-FrÃ©dÃ©ric Roulot, CEO of Louvre Hotels Group, has been handed the management of the Metropolo platform in ChinaBolstered by the growing trust of his shareholder Jin Jiang International, Pierre-Frédéric Roulot has taken over as head of the Metropolo structure for the management and development of Jin Jiang hotels in Asia.
From the strategic headquarters of La Défense, Pierre-Frédéric Roulot now heads the Louvre Hotels Group as well as the Métropolo structure based in Shanghai.
These two networks now represent over 2,500 hotels in 52 countries, 1,150 of which are
- Rational group customers now have access to the world’s most state-of-the-art networking solution for professional kitchens: ConnectedCooking. Networking is available for both Rational and Frima units and opens up numerous possibilities for making everyday kitchen work safer, simpler, and more convenient. Chain operations can also manage all connected units centrally and control production processes effectively.
With ConnectedCooking, Rational and Frima have expanded their
- Renowned chef and restaurateur, Marco Pierre White (MPW), is bringing his popular Steakhouse Bar & Grill to Southampton this May 2017.
Following the success of Marco’s annual pop-up restaurant housed at The Grand Harbour Hotel during the Southampton Boat Show, Marco Pierre White’s Steakhouse Bar & Grill will now become a permanent restaurant at the hotel located on West Quay Road.
The 146 capacity restaurant is to become a must-visit for local food lovers and hotel guests al
- VisitEngland, the national tourist board has announced the finalists for the Awards for Excellence 2017 with Northcote named as a finalist. The winners of this prestigious accolade will be announced at the Awards ceremony on Monday 24 April at the Hilton Waldorf, London.
Working collaboratively with industry, VisitEngland’s Awards for Excellence celebrate the best in English tourism.
Northcote announced as a finalist today, represents one of the three finalists in the Hotel of the Year in
- Technology has become very important in maintaining guest satisfaction. WiFi is no longer portrayed as a commodity or IT based cost. It is also no longer a perk for tech-savvy or business customers. It is a must-have for every hotel and your future depends on it.
According to TripAdvisor’s survey, 46% respondent said free in-room WiFi is a must-have amenity – meaning that, if an accommodation did not provide it, they would look elsewhere. Moreover, 26% of travellers said that they r
- Goode & Wright, an independent bistro and wine bar on London’s iconic Portobello Road, has undergone some exciting new changes seeing an entirely new management and food team take over, with owners Oren Goldfeld & Gabriel Muñuz Rodriguez at the helm.The bistro serves up both small and large plates from lunch to dinner and boasts an extensive drinks menu with a carefully curated choice of wines, cocktails and coffees. Come the weekend, the brunch crowd pours in from 10am to
- (L to R) Russell Holt of Reward Finance Group with Jo-Ann and Karl ElsworthThe Pack Italian Restaurant & Bar, which is located in Lancashire’s highest village, Belthorn near Blackburn, has seen turnover rise by 70% on like-for like sales following a £250,000 makeover.
The refurbishment of the former Pack Horse, which was majority funded by SME lender, Reward Finance Group, included the knocking through of internal walls to make it open plan and contemporary and enabling it to inc
- Chaat, India’s most-revered snack, is swiftly becoming one of London’s favourite dishes thanks to Vivek Singh’s latest restaurant Cinnamon Bazaar in Covent Garden. The savoury street food snack, consisting of small crisp bowls filled with a mix of tangy sauces, sweet chutneys and fresh veggies and spices, have been such a phenomenal hit at Cinnamon Bazaar that guests can now build their own or enjoy two of the most popular chaats at the brand-new Trader’s High Tea.
- Need a temporary kitchen to cater an event in the United Kingdom, Europe or elsewhere?On-Site Kitchen Rentals Ltd are skilled professionals with nearly two decades experience in supplying tailored solutions to events of all sizes.
They pride themselves on delivering on demand, on time and on budget – offering no nonsense rental agreements with no hidden costs.
Any Event, Any Size
With a wide range of temporary kitchen options, their approach is to listen carefully, ask the right questions
- (l to r) Eduard Xatruch, Mateu Casañas and Oriol CastroDisfrutar in Barcelona has been named this year’s Miele One To Watch by The World’s 50 Best Restaurants. Opened in December 2014, Disfrutar is a collaboration between chefs Mateu Casañas, Oriol Castro and Eduard Xatruch. The three met while cooking at former No.1 restaurant El Bulli, where they worked alongside legendary Spanish chef Ferran Adrià.
Disfrutar’s founders will be presented with the coveted
- Internationally acclaimed Chef, Ronni Kahn, Oz Harvest’s CEO, will host a once-in-a-lifetime dinner with OzHarvest at their Alexandria HQ on Sunday, 2 April 2017. Bottura is visiting Australia as part of the World’s 50 Best Restaurant Awards.
The exclusive and exceptional degustation dinner for 130 guests will be prepared and cooked by a hand-selected crew of chefs with a conscience, including Rob Cockerill (Bennelong), Monty Koludrovic (Icebergs and The Dolphin), Josh Niland (Saint
- On Thursday 6th April, Chai Ki, the modern Indian restaurant and bar in Canary Wharf, will take to the water, bringing Indian soul food and colourful cocktails to the Alfred Le Roy– a lovingly restored canal boat moored at CRATE Brewery. The one-off Chai Ki night cruise will depart Hackney Wick at 7.30pm and head East down the River Lea and along the Limehouse Cut before docking at Limehouse Basin.
Revellers will be invited to arrive early on the evening to enjoy a drink at the bar in the
- David Hart, Chief Financial Officer, Redefine|BDL Hotels’Keeping calm and focusing on the job at hand whilst lobbying for change should be top of the agenda for hospitality businesses in the wake of increasing business rates, says Redefine|BDL Hotels’ (RBH) Chief Financial Officer, David Hart.
The UK’s leading independent hotel management company oversees a portfolio of more than 50 properties facing business rate hikes averaging 29% – with increases for individual hotels
- The Student Hotel group, pioneers of hybrid high-quality co-living, co-working hospitality and student accommodation to open in the Netherlands, Italy and Spain.
The Student Hotel will increase its European portfolio to 16 properties following the introduction of three new locations by 2019.
Hotels in Eindhoven (already open) and Delft will add to its business in the Netherlands, which includes two properties in Amsterdam and one in Rotterdam, The Hague, Groningen and Maastricht. Delft is due t
- While the buildings are all different, they share a mix of contemporary student rooms, hotel rooms and co-living studios. The ground floors are accessible to the public and house study areas, meeting rooms, TSH Collab – co-working space for start-ups and local business – restaurant, bar, games room, gym and garage to house guest bicycles.
Charlie MacGregor, The Student Hotel’s CEO and founder, says: “Wherever we are, The Student Hotel connects students and hotel guests w
- A former bank on the outskirts of Leeds has been acquired by branded pub/bar specialists The Potting Shed to create its fourth Yorkshire venue.
Previously an HSBC branch, the site in Guiseley will undergo a complete remodeling, transforming it into the company’s latest bar and gardens.
The concept was created by Potting Shed Trading, founded in 2015 by the Leeds-based BurningNight Group, the team behind city centre Bierkeller Entertainment Complexes across the country.
The project is bein
- Sally Owens, Special Adviser to the Global Pastry Chef Challenge and Arwyn Watkins, Culinary Association of Wales presidentTwo Welsh chefs have gained global recognition by being invited to serve on World Association of Chefs Societies’ Committees.
Culinary Association of Wales (CAW) president Arwyn Watkins will serve on the Feed the Planet and Sustainability Committee for three years.
Sally Owens, a cake decoration and patisserie lecturer at Coleg Llandrillo, Rhos-on-Sea, has been invited
- RACA AAE 2016 Winners (Alexander Macleod, Polly Chan, Joel Gueller)Following an extraordinary number of entries this year, the Royal Academy of Culinary Arts is proud to announce the names of the Annual Awards of Excellence 2017 semi-finalists.The AAE is not a competition, rather an examination; all or none of the candidates could achieve the Award, depending on their ability to attain the standard of excellence set by the judges. All those who successfully reach this standard will win the AAE.
- This spring, Revolution Bars Group is set to open a new site under the Revolution brand in Southend-on-Sea, increasing the portfolio to 67 across the UK. The bar will showcase a new look design, moving away from the current style trend of urban reclaimed materials. Approximately 100 new staff will be employed at the site.
Launching in late April, Revolution Southend-on-Sea will be located just moments from the seafront and walking distance to the town centre. The 206-cover bar and restaurant in
- Following the publication of Migration Watch UK’s report on the rights of EU Nationals in the UK post-Brexit, the ALMR has reminded the Government that it must act decisively and clearly to safeguard vital hospitality jobs and support UK businesses.
The report calls for the introduction of a temporary work permit for non-UK workers with a suggested length of two years to allow businesses to plan ahead.
ALMR Chief Executive Kate Nicholls said: “Pubs, bars, restaurants and nightclubs
- Pub operator and brewer Brakspear has invested in its managed estate with a major refurbishment of the Townhouse in Stratford-upon-Avon. The bar-restaurant with rooms reopened earlier this month.
The makeover at the Townhouse – previously called the Church Street townhouse – has been sympathetic to its heritage; it is a Grade II listed building dating back 400 years and located in the heart of Stratford, minutes from the Royal Shakespeare theatres and Shakespeare’s birthplace.
Northern Restaurant and Bar Show 2017 â€“ Rational presents the new generation SelfCookingCenter combi ovenAt this year’s show visitors will experience the NEW generation SelfCookingCenter 101 and XS models on stand B38, 21st – 22nd March 2017 at Manchester Central.
The new generation SelfCookingCenter combi oven is now available as the XS version in unit sizes 6 x 2/3 GN and in the familiar unit sizes 6 x 1/1 GN to 20 x 2/1 GN. Offering customers more optimisations with the same functionality and performance as previous models, the SelfCookingCenter is the first intelligent commercial c
- Shaftesbury has announced the signing of Boki, who will be launching its progressive coffee shop concept within a 1,300 sq ft space on 20 Earlham Street, Seven Dials.
Boki was founded by Kim Mahony Hargreaves and Boris Becker in 2014, combining their careers in hospitality and business management. They opened their first café in 2015, working with Allpress coffee, T2 tea, and London based food and drink producers to create a healthy and wholesome breakfast and lunch menu. The
- Leading event and venue caterer, Amadeus, has appointed a new Head of Marketing to join its award winning business.
Alison Kirk brings with her 20 years’ strategic experience across the marketing mix, with a wealth of knowledge in B2B and consumer marketing. With a strong background in visitor experience and tourism, Alison cut her teeth at leading attractions such as Alton Towers, Warwick Castle and London’s Science Museum where she was responsible for implementing a strategy to del
- Queensgate Investments Fund II LP, which is managed by Queensgate Investments, a private equity real estate fund manager, has agreed to purchase design-led hostel owner and operator Generator Hostels from Patron Capital, the pan-European institutional investor focused on property backed investments, and its co-investment partner, Invesco Real Estate, a global real estate manager.
The transaction has an enterprise value of circa €450m and is expected to complete in May.Generator Hostels, wh
- Ahead of this year’s MIPIM conference in Cannes, Hilton has announced new projects in France, following a franchise agreement with NAOS to introduce three hotels under three distinct brands.Following an active year of development in 2016, Hilton now has a total pipeline of nine projects across France, which are expected add more than 1,000 rooms to its portfolio in coming years. The confirmation of these three properties being developed with NAOS are expected to be the first of several an
- On Tuesday 14th March, Jason Atherton’s recently-launched British restaurant, Temple and Sons, will host the first in a series of supplier dinners, featuring a live Herdwick lamb butchery demonstration from Lake District Farmers. Guests will enjoy a four-course dinner prepared by the acclaimed chef and restaurateur, with lamb the star ingredient.An evening that aims to educate on nose to tail dining, the demonstration from Lake District Farmers, a supplier championed by Jason Atherton who
- Only a few months ago H&C News opened a new office in Penarth, Cardiff and once settled, it didn’t take long, we wanted to try as many local restaurants as possible.We visited Pier 64 restaurant recently – Penarth’s Pier 64 sets a high standard – and what a treat that was. The Clink Cardiff was a very special trip made only last Wednesday – a meal worth going behind bars for. What next?
Our head office is still in Ascot and our firm favourite meal out when in As
- On Sunday 9th of April, award-winning chef Mark Jarvis will be joined in the kitchen by Florence Knight for her first service back at the stoves since hanging up her apron as Head Chef of Polpetto. Having each worked under the tutelage of the legendary Raymond Blanc, at both the Diamond Club and Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons, Mark and Florence will collaborate for a one off Sunday service at Anglo, where together they have written a menu reflecting a shared enthusiasm for local ingredients a
- One of the great cuisines of the world, Morocco’s delectable culinary offering is a phenomenon known far and wide. Es Saadi Marrakech Resort, the stunning oasis of Moroccan splendour in the heart of Marrakech’s Golden Triangle, has appointed seminal Parisian chef, Fatéma Hal to helm ‘Cour des Lions’, the resort’s world-class destination restaurant. Her inspiring cuisine is abundant with subtle spices and intriguing flavour combinations including rich,
- Hua Hin’s most exciting new opening, Ananda Hua Hin Resort & Spa is to open on 1st April 2017, featuring a collection of elite private beachfront pool villas expected to set a new high watermark for privacy and exclusivity in the royal destination.
The new high-end brand by Compass Hospitality adds to its existing of three brands – Compass, Citrus, Citin – and marks its 42nd managed property across its operating markets in Thailand, Malaysia and the UK.
The eagerly awaited
Follow @catering_uknews on Twitter!