Hospitality & Catering News (press release) (subscription)
Strong London tourism growth supports record UK inbound tourism
Hospitality & Catering News (press release) (subscription)
London's retail tourism industry saw strong growth in 2016 as international tax free shopping spend in the capital increased +15% compared with 2015. These figures support VisitBritain's announcement today that more overseas visitors came to the UK ...en meer »
- London’s retail tourism industry saw strong growth in 2016 as international tax free shopping spend in the capital increased +15% compared with 2015. These figures support VisitBritain’s announcement today that more overseas visitors came to the UK last year than ever before.
Ros Morgan, Chief Executive of Heart of London Business Alliance says: “London, and the West End, is a huge contributor to the UK’s tourist economy and last year’s positive growth shows the im
- We are pleased to report on more strong economic growth figures for London that in part will have had a positive impact across the hospitality and catering sector, but…London’s retail tourism industry saw strong growth in 2016 as international tax free shopping spend in the capital increased by 15% compared with 2015. These figures support VisitBritain’s announcement that more overseas visitors came to the UK in 2016 than ever before.
Ros Morgan, CEO, Heart of London Business
- Es Saadi Marrakech Resort is pleased to announce its inclusion in the latest edition of the US Condé Nast Traveler’s Gold List.
The Palace features as one of only five mentioned hotels in Morocco. A leading voice in luxury travel the Gold List recognises Condé Nast Traveler’s best and most favourite hotels in the world, where uniqueness and authenticity are paramount and the hotels offer you an unforgettable experience.
Es Saadi Marrakech Resort boasts the most e
- Heston Blumenthal’s Michelin star restaurant The Hinds Head in Bray will close its doors temporarily on March 27th, when it starts to undergo a major transformation.
The Hinds Head, whose origins date back to Tudor England, boasts a celebrated past with former patrons including the British Royal Family. The Grade II listed building has been offering locals and visitors to the village of Bray, hospitality and refreshment for over six centuries. The acclaimed chef Heston Blumenthal took own
- Olympic silver medallists to represent Wales in top culinary contestTalented young Welsh chefs, who covered themselves in glory by winning two silver medals at the Culinary Olympics in Germany last October, have been chosen to represent Wales in a major competition on home soil next week.
The Culinary Association of Wales’ (CAW’s) junior team will take on teams from Italy and Austria in the Battle for the Dragon contest at the Welsh International Culinary Championships (WICC) at Cole
- Award-winning catering provider, c, has announced that it has earned a place as an approved catering supplier at iconic London concert venue – the Roundhouse. This new three year listing covers all catering at the venue; including canapés, bowl food and seated dinners.
The Roundhouse is a performing arts and concert venue situated at the Grade II listed former railway engine shed in Chalk Farm, London. Originally built in 1847 by the London and North Western Railway as a roundhouse
- This February 28th the team at Viet Grill and Cây Tre will be getting into the spirit of Shrove Tuesday and flipping some Vietnamese pancakes for one day only. Founder Hieu Bui has designed a ‘Banh Xèo’ pancake, a take on the traditional Vietnamese dish. A sizzling coconut and turmeric rice pancake will be filled to the brim with Red Sea Prawns, Pork belly, Mung bean sprouts and Button mushroom, packing a fresh and flavoursome punch.
‘When I opened the first
- Giggling Squid can confirm they have recently acquired a site in Cheltenham, which will open early 2018. The 3000 sq. ft site, boasting a prime location with great frontage in the Montpellier district, will have an estimated 110 covers with 50 extra external covers front and back.Following the news that Giggling Squid will open their first London site in Wimbledon this summer, the acquisition of Cheltenham shows that growth is set to continue well beyond 2017.
Giggling Squid co-founder, Andy La
- It is not every week that we get invited to go to one of the 5 AA Star Dorchester Collection. So when asked to have a chat with the Head Sommelier and Director of Restaurant Jonathan Ellson, we jumped at it.
Set in 240 acres of prime Berkshire parkland on the borders of Windsor Great Park this Country House Hotel has an eccentric spirit which sets to ‘re-write the rules’. As you drive in that eccentricity is immediately visible as the speed limit sign dictates 9.5MPH – 9.5 not
- Office and events caterer, Kudos Delivered, has secured preferred caterer status in all 17 London branches of the well-known cocktail bar chain, Be At One.
The delivered-in caterer’s first opportunity to impress came in the form of a networking event hosted by London-based organiser UrbanoNetwork this week, which was held at the Be At One in Charterhouse Street, Farringdon.
Kudos Delivered created a bespoke menu for the event which showcased a range of cuisines – including British,
- (l to r) Johnny Pugsley and Damion FarahThe ever growing Oxfordshire based House of Jacob group, founded by Damion Farah and Johnny Pugsley, have officially taken over the lease on Bicester based hotel, The Plough, on North Street road.
The foodie duo already have four venues under their belts, consisting of Wolvercote based Jacobs Inn, their original venue Jacobs & Field in Headington with the soon to be revamped Jacobs Chop House up the road, and their other hotel, The Woodstock Arms. The
- This was the gig that every Black Sabbath fan wanted to attend. The last ever show before the curtain closed on what had been an illustrious, nearly five-decade career for the pioneers of Heavy Metal. Hosted by the Genting Arena on 2 and 4 February, the shows proved a winner with food and beverage sales from the venue’s caterer, Amadeus, exceeding £255,000.
As anticipated, beer and cider sales were at a high, with over 34,600 sold by the venue’s Forum Live beverage
- Casual Dining show, which returns to the Business Design Centre, in London, next week on 22-23 February, has announced a record 40 entries for its Innovation Challenge Awards, which recognises the best products and solutions launched in the casual dining sector over the last twelve months.
Reflecting the highly competitive nature of the casual dining sector, the number of new product entries – including food, drink, equipment and technology – has almost doubled for the 2017 awards.
- Now firmly recognised as one of Europe’s premier gastronomic events, Obsession celebrated its 17th year recently, presenting 23 outstanding chefs sharing 16 Michelin stars between them. Held at Northcote the AA Hotel of the year 2016/17, a renowned country house hotel situated on the edge of the Ribble Valley.This year Obsession’s incredible line-up of chefs travelled from across the world and included chefs from Italy, Australia, Portugal, China, USA, Japan, and Slovenia as well as
- Global report shows connectivity, innovations and uncertainty are rewriting the rules of the workplace; next-generation working styles are being defined by individuality, inclusiveness and techno-literacy; and we can expect to see more robots as colleagues.
A workplace where people and robots collaborate, employees’ personal brands are bigger than their employers’ and the office is a destination for wellness. These emerging trends and others are set to transform the way we work and
- Join our experts on 22nd February at 13:25 in Hospitality Theatre at TTE
We live in the world where reliable WiFi is a must in every hotel. WiFi is no longer a commodity and IT based cost. Real-time business intelligence from external customers on or near your network can now be harnessed globally to deliver value far beyond connectivity. Aerohive and Hoist Group deliver the business insight directly into your existing or future infrastructure. Join our seminar if you wish to know how
- Marking 40 years as the West-End canteen, Joe Allen will continue its year of celebrations with a dedicated Birthday menu. Having stood the test of time amongst the ever-changing face of London’s restaurant scene, the historic theatreland stalwart in Covent Garden will, for the first time ever, put a burger on its menu.
“The secret burger is synonymous with Joe Allen and we wanted to celebrate its tenure as much as the memories, the team and the iconic posters and wooden panels on t
- Hotel owner, developer and operator Starboard Hotels has further expanded its growing portfolio of UK-wide properties, with the announcement of its latest acquisitions, the Holiday Inn Express Tamworth and the Holiday Inn Express Ramsgate.
Starboard has now completed on the two hotels, which were marketed by Christie and Co. for offers in excess of £11,450,000. This latest purchase sees Starboard’s portfolio rise to 13 hotels and brings the number of Holiday Inn Express branded prop
- Grosvenor Europe has announced that Five Guys, the authentic American burger brand, is to open at Liverpool ONE. Taking a prominent 4,822 sq ft site on The Terrace, the new 175 cover restaurant is due to open this Summer.
Five Guys will join a range of family dining restaurants on The Terrace, including Wagamama, Pizza Express, and GBK, as well as Liverpool ONE’s 18-screen Odeon cinema.Commenting on the news, Miles Dunnett from Grosvenor Europe, said: “The signing of Five Guys
- Chelsea Football Club has announced a price freeze of its annual hospitality memberships for the 2017/18 season. The freeze comes at a time when demand for hospitality at Stamford Bridge is at an all-time high as a result of the venue’s on-going development of its world-class hospitality offering.
Simon Hunter, Head of Venue & Brand at Chelsea Football Club, commented: “With a changing economic climate, the price freeze for next season demonstrates our commitment to providing th
- Two lucky chef apprentices from Mitchells & Butlers plc, the company behind leading pub and restaurant brands such as All Bar One, Harvester, Miller & Carter and Toby Carvery, were given an amazing opportunity to showcase their skills last night by cooking a three course meal for European delegates visiting Birmingham.Apprentices Luke Taylor and Ellen Keeling were cooking for delegates from Eurocities, who were visiting Birmingham as part of a two-day food focused seminar. The Eurocitie
- The Indian Hotels Company Limited (IHCL) is pleased to announce that all hotels in the current portfolio globally will now be grouped under a single branded house identity: Taj Hotels Palaces Resorts Safaris.
This aligning of brand architecture is driven by the strong legacy of Taj across decades and reinforces the deep resonance of brand Taj with its guests, and embodies the vision of its founder Jamsetji Tata. It also connects back to the recently unveiled Tajness philosophy which takes the b
- Giuseppe and Pamela Turi, owners of Italian neighbourhood restaurant Enoteca Turi, have appointed Francesco Sodano as Head Chef. With a wealth of international experience and Michelin-starred training behind him, the Naples native brings a modern approach to the regional Italian cuisine at the restaurant.
Francesco was born into a family of chefs and began his career as a child alongside his father, in an area where good food is part of everyday life. His passion for food and dedication t
- Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group has announced its intention to open a new luxury hotel and branded residences in Honolulu on the Hawaiian island of Oahu. The project, which has a target opening date in early 2020, will enable Mandarin Oriental to introduce its hospitality to this important tourism and business destination.
Mandarin Oriental, Honolulu will be the anchor of Mana`olana Place, a 36-story mixed-use tower with gardens and public plazas, currently being developed by Los Angeles-based Sa
- Sheffield Hallam University has teamed up with the historic Stanley Hotel, which inspired horror novelist Stephen King to write The Shining, to launch an international internship programme.
The unique ‘live-learn-earn’ partnership between the University’s Sheffield Business School and the hotel in Estes Park, Colorado got underway this week.
Sixteen International Hospitality Management and International Hotel and Resort Management students from Hallam flew out to America this
- For a colourful and delicious culinary tour of India, look no further than the South-West of England. Leave your passport at home and let The Mint Room, Bath take you on an extensive gastronomic journey, thanks to their speciality created “Tour of India Tasting Menu”.
Having introduced a new style of Indian cuisine to the South-West, with dishes that showcase the heritage of Indian food, whilst putting a modern spin on presentation, the Rahman brothers are taking things one step fur
- Le Pressoir d’Argent Gordon Ramsay, which opened in September 2015, was awarded a one-star rating in the Michelin Guide for France 2016, just four months after opening. Earlier this week Le Pressoir d’Argent Gordon Ramsay was awarded a two star Michelin rating.
Born in Scotland, Ramsay grew up in Stratford-upon-Avon. His restaurants have been awarded 16 Michelin stars in total. His signature restaurant, Restaurant Gordon Ramsay in Chelsea, London, has held 3 Michelin stars since 200
- The deadline zoomed into focus at midnight on Sunday 5 February for the sixth Pink Lady Food Photographer of the Year, the world’s leading celebration of the art of food photography and film.
“The entries were pouring in until the last moment,” says Caroline Kenyon, Director of Pink Lady Food Photographer of the Year. “We are absolutely delighted to announce our greatest ever number, with over 8400 images and films coming from sixty countries across the globe.”
Being fuelled by coffee is now a reality thanks to a new, recycling partnership between CaffĂ¨ Nero and First MileJoe Allen, Chief Commercial Officer of First Mile (left) & Matt Spencer, Commercial Director of Caffè Nero (right)218 tonnes of coffee grounds to be converted into fuel for 453 homes each year – and Biodiesel for cars in the near future…
Caffè Nero and award-winning recycling company First Mile are successfully transforming waste coffee grounds into pellets that can be used in wood burners to heat buildings and, in the near future, Bio Diesel to fuel cars. By July
- The Peak Health Club & Spa at Jumeirah Carlton Tower in London’s chic Knightsbridge district has appointed spa and beauty industry expert Ceri Silk as its new Spa Manager.
With 30 years’ experience in the industry, Ceri began her spa and beauty career in her local salon in Newcastle before moving to London in 1989 to study for her professional beauty qualifications at the London College of Fashion. Her first role on qualifying was as Account Executive for Clarins in Selfridges.
- The spectacular 17th century De Vere Wotton House, located in Dorking, Surrey, has been restored back to its country house mansion charms following a £6 million refurbishment. Nestled in 13 acres of stunning Grade II listed grounds, it boasts the first Italian garden designed by famous botanist John Evelyn (the inspiration for Crabtree & Evelynn) who lived at Wotton House in the 17th century.
The renovation added an extra 16 suites to the Mansion House, bringing the total number
- If you’re contemplating spending Valentine’s Day at home this year, why not romance your other half with some spectacular cocktails? The mixologists at Bohemia Restaurant and Bar in Jersey have lent their top tips for creating home-made romantic refreshments, certain to tempt you towards a night in. Whichever cocktail you chose to create, learn from the professionals with these six top tips:
If you’re out to impress, it’s worth investing in good quality
- Luxardo Bitter Bianco launches in the UK this Spring. The distilled infusion of bitter herbs, aromatic plants and citrus fruits is made to a recipe created by the Luxardo family who have re-imagined the classic Italian aperitivo. At 30 percent abv. it has a transparent ivory colour, which makes it ideal for mixing in a White Negroni. Luxardo global brand ambassador Gareth Franklin will be creating further adventurous new serves, with an individual take on Margarita and Daiqui
- Hopeless romantics and dirty devils alike will enjoy K West Hotel & Spa’s tailored offerings for Valentine’s 2017. So whether you’re sweet or saucy, K West has created a mix-tape of perfect packages, available from Friday 10 until Sunday 19 February 2017.
‘One Love’: Saints PackageJust as Bob Marley sang it, K West’s Saints Valentine’s Package will be perfect for couples with ‘one love, one heart’. A romantic welcome to the hotel awaits;
- Sopwell House’s wide choice of dining options will ensure couples have a romantic and indulgent Valentine’s this February 2017.
The BrasserieA menu exclusively created for Valentine’s Day will be available in The Brasserie at Sopwell House. The Brasserie is the perfect backdrop for enjoying an intimate dinner in a contemporary setting.
Diners can choose from a selection of mouth-watering dishes including Tempura of Tiger Prawns, with Gazpacho Shots; Roast Barbary Duck Breast,
- Elite World Hotels chain, which has been operating in the Turkish tourism industry for over 15 years, announced the opening of Elite World Europe, the largest hotel of the chain. This five-star hotel will open its doors on February 2, 2017. This new signing will accompany the existing five properties: Elite World Prestige, Elite World Istanbul and Elite World Business in Istanbul, Elite World Van in Van and Elite World Marmaris in Marmaris.Elite World Hotels is part of Worldhotels, a global bra
Girbau UK introduces Agua Smart Wet Cleaning System - Hospitality & Catering News (press release) (subscription)Hospitality & Catering News (press release) (subscription)
Girbau UK introduces Agua Smart Wet Cleaning System
Hospitality & Catering News (press release) (subscription)
Girbau UK has launched Agua Smart, its complete professional wet cleaning system for dry cleaners, laundry businesses and hoteliers. Agua Smart comprises all the equipment needed to start a wet cleaning service including expertly formulated spotters, ...
- After being present at the launch of The Nutty Italian pizza at Bunga Bunga, which was a collaboration of the team from the Nutbourne and Bunga Bunga, I thought I would pay a visit to the Nutbourne itself.
We arrived at the restaurant to find a light, relaxed atmosphere. The staff were friendly and I took great delight in the decorations above us, various and many forms of farming paraphernalia hanging from the ceiling by parachute.
The menu choices were the a-la-carte or the set lunch menu, an
- Girbau UK has launched Agua Smart, its complete professional wet cleaning system for dry cleaners, laundry businesses and hoteliers. Agua Smart comprises all the equipment needed to start a wet cleaning service including expertly formulated spotters, high tech washers and dryers, biodegradable detergents and specialist finishing equipment.
“There is a growing desire to offer customers more environmentally-sensitive cleaning options and wet cleaning is the green alternative to the traditio
- Sam Quigley of St Albans awarded £100 of Amazon vouchers
In a sign that the force is awakening in the new generation of foodservice workers, the winner of the Student Quiz run by CESA at the 2017 Great Hospitality Show is Star Wars fan Sam Quigley. Currently studying Hospitality & Catering at Oaklands College in St Albans, Sam is also working at Sopwell House as part of his course.
The quiz is designed to test student’s knowledge of catering equipment and includes questions rela
- Directly from those who know Naples best, Quartieri will be an authentic Napoletana pizzeria opening in Kilburn during spring 2017. Inspired by a family recipe dating back to 1923 from the guys who brought Naples the famous Pizzeria Trianon Vomero. Quartieri will be a brand new restaurant, bringing a true taste of Naples to London.
The pizzaioli Napoletani will be using flour and grain that has been milled in the traditional way, slow risen with minimal yeast creating truly authentic pizza from
- The Belle Epoque has started 2017 in fine form, by being awarded Four Silver Stars from the AA.
The Cheshire restaurant, now in its 44th year, has added this highly prestigious accolade to their existing Two AA Dining Rosettes.
The Silver Stars Award was introduced by the AA in 2015, as a way of adopting a more critical approach to those establishments featured within its recognition guides.
Only given to a select number of venues across the UK, the award recognises a superior level of quality,
- Brasserie Blanc, the French restaurant group led by acclaimed chef Raymond Blanc, will open its 19th site in Fulham Reach this May as part of the group’s 21st year of trading.
The brasserie will be located in the former Haig Distillery in the new St George residential and leisure development on the Thames waterfront, near Hammersmith Bridge. The classic and contemporary space, designed by Jordan Littler, will span 3,175 square feet offering 120 covers inside with an additional 50 covers o
- Following the success of Primeur, Jeremie Cometto-Lingenheim and David Gingell are to open their second restaurant in Lower Holloway this April. Westerns Laundry will be housed in the last remaining part of a 1950’s building, a stone’s throw away from Highbury and Islington. The restaurant will comprise of a textured, pared back aesthetic, reflecting the history of this practical space. The menu will focus on seafood and dishes made with the best possible produce, sourced from the B
- A new hotel, office block and a multi-storey car park could be built on Trinity Street following the completion of the £48 million transport interchange.
Bolton Council has revealed that it wants to develop the junction of Trinity Street and Bradshawgate and transform it into the ‘Trinity Gateway’.
Council chiefs are confident that there is demand for an office block in that area and are looking into hotel interest. There will also be a need for more car parking close to the t
- A new artisan bakery, offering authentic Italian street-style snacks, has launched in Cambridge at developer Downing Student’s The Railyard student accommodation development.
Zio Mario is the brainchild of a former corporate executive, Roberto Cavicchia, who left a successful 23-year corporate career to pursue his dream of opening a traditional bakery.
The café has opened at developer Downing’s The Railyard development – taking a ground floor corner unit in the complex,
- The new adults-only hotel Domes Noruz Chania opens its doors on 31st March 2017 for its first full season in the extraordinary destination of Chania.
Sister hotel to the legendary Domes of Elounda, the Domes Noruz Chania, Autograph Collection is an 83 room and suites, adults-only, beachfront boutique hotel. This brand new Exactly Like Nothing Else experiential hotel in Chania, complete with a buzzy atmosphere, is a must visit destination for all likeminded travellers, who crave relaxation, a fu
- Marketing manager of London’s QEII Centre, Roopi Woodall, has been named joint winner of Channel 4 television series ‘Spies’.
The four-part series saw 15 candidates put through a series of testing challenges to see if they had what it takes to be part of Britain’s elite Secret Intelligence Services.
Based on the ‘Intelligence Officer New Entry Course’, Roopi and her fellow would-be spies were tested on their ability to create convincing cover stories, carry o
Follow @catering_uknews on Twitter!