- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is recalling nearly 75,000 Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger vehicles from the 2014-2017 model years. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that the powertrains on some of those vehicles may not have been properly manufactured. Specifically, NHTSA says that the bolts on the cars' front driveshaft may...
- The 2017 GMC Sierra Heavy Duty truck lineup builds on the basic half-ton Sierra with a stronger frame, beefier axles, and the ability to tow significantly more thanks to its new-for-2017 optional turbodiesel engine. We've rated the Sierra 2500HD, the most popular version of the automaker's heavy-duty trucks, as a 7.0 overall thanks to its high...
- -The 2017 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 may be smaller and less powerful than the half-ton Ford F-150 Raptor, but these facts are unlikely to deter consumers (and automotive publications) from thinking together about the two off-road-oriented pickups. Priced at $40,995, the Colorado ZR2 undercuts the hulking Raptor’s base price by $9160. Those more interested in an apples-to-apples comparison can pit the ZR2 against the $41,930 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro instead.-Like the Tacoma TRD Pro
- -Get your checkbooks ready, because an extra-special version of the BMW M2 is coming to the United States in very limited quantities: the M2 M Performance Edition. It’s essentially an M2 with all available performance options and several comfort and convenience features removed—you know, so you can focus on the driving. Of the 150 that will be offered, half come with a six-speed manual—yes, we’re drooling, too—and the other half with a dual-clutch automati
- -An old proverb states that what the Hindenburg did to hydrogen, Oldsmobile did to diesels. Fortunately, humans are a forgiving, forgetful lot. Both hydrogen and diesel fuel are likely to play important roles in our transportation future—as the new Chevrolet Cruze diesel is about to show us—no matter what rash moves you expect of our new government administration.-Of course, Volkswagen’s diesel misdeeds picked open that old(smobile) scab. Some industry wizards, such as FCA CEO
- -There are a few automotive meccas every enthusiast should try to visit. Some, like the Nürburgring, are quite well known, while others, like the Adelaide Street Circuit, are less so. Right in the middle of that list are the amazing and famed roads of Monterey, California. These historic roads hosted one of the earliest sports-car races in the United States—a race that Jaguar dominated in 1950. Makes sense, then, that car enthusiasts Adrian Simpson and Bradley Hasemeyer visit the hist
- As we tumble headlong into the Era of the Connected Car, one thing engineers are struggling to address is the possibility that evildoers might hack our cars' burgeoning networks. Unfortunately, a new report suggests that automakers have left open a fairly large back door for the bad guys--a back door that could, quite literally, allow hackers into...
- All-new 2018 Hyundai Accent adds lots of safety tech An all-new version of Hyundai's smallest car sold in the United States has made its debut, with what the Korean automaker says is a leap forward in terms of refinement and available safety features. More data suggests that traffic deaths rose sharply in 2016 In January, the National Highway...
- -What It Is: A 2019 Ford Ranger test mule spied in action near Ford’s Dearborn headquarters. Despite wearing a black-and-white coating of wavy dots, the sheetmetal is very similar to that of the Ranger currently sold overseas. This is far from shocking, as we’ve long expected that when the Ranger returned to the United States it would be closely related to that vehicle. Yes, there is a small chance that the truck pictured here could just be using the global Ranger’s body for te
- -Cigarette Racing and AMG have been collaborating for 10 years and eight special editions now. They’ve paired multiple cars with boats, including but not limited to the SLS, the G-wagen, the Vision GT concept, and the GT S in years past. This year, in celebration of a decade of partnership and 50 years of AMG, the two companies blended elements from the hard-core GT R with a 50-foot Marauder SS and displayed the result at the Miami International Boat Show.-Although one of these machin
- -With the MSRP of several Jaguar models now ringing in below the vaunted $50,000 mark, there’s more reason than ever to cross-shop British wares or at least notice their presence amid a sea of American, German, and Asian competitors. For the 2018 model year, the automaker’s top seller, the F-Pace, continues its pricing assault on the compact-SUV segment with a new base inline-four-cylinder engine, a new Portfolio trim, and extra safety features. READ MORE ››-
- -Dodge’s latest Challenger Demon preview is here—the sixth of fourteen total. This time, it’s a peek at the Demon’s standard-fitment 315/40R-18 Nitto NT05R drag radials folding under the forces of a launch.-Today’s teaser includes the image you see above and an attendant video (below). Unless you’re some sort of rubber fetishist, the preview is not a particularly sexy image, and yet it and some tidbits Dodge also released&nbs
- -There’s a Ram 1500 for everyone—or so it seems, what with 11 different models and several class exclusives. It’s the only full-size pickup to offer an optional diesel engine for optimal fuel economy (for now) and an air suspension for carlike cruising. While the ride is faultless, the diesel comes at a premium and forgoes any semblance of performance. Nevertheless, the Ram 1500 has capable alternatives in an aging but reliable V-6 and a throaty V-8, and every model gets an eff
- An all-new version of Hyundai's smallest car sold in the United States has made its debut, with what the Korean automaker says is a leap forward in terms of refinement and available safety features. The 2018 Hyundai Accent that was unveiled at the Toronto auto show is incrementally larger than its predecessor thanks in part to a wheelbase that's...
- -Sometimes, despite all the rich adjectives and clever metaphors in the English language, the verbiage of a little boy best describes a car. This red car is super fast. It is a Ferrari. Ergo, it is called the Ferrari 812 Superfast.-For its 70th birthday, Ferrari is once again resurrecting the Superfast name, first seen on the 4.9 Superfast that was the quickest car we tested in the 1950s. Then as now, Ferrari’s most powerful 12-cylinder engine resides in this new 812 Superfast, a hairier e
- -As Volkswagen was preparing to launch its current top-of-the-line sedan for the U.S. market, it created a big mystery around its name. Slated to replace the Passat but designed specifically for Americans, the model was cryptically referred to as the NMS, which stood for “new mid-size sedan.” Just when the suspense had become almost unbearable, the name of the new car was revealed as . . . Passat. READ MORE ››-
- -Honda, of course, doesn’t just make automobiles and motorcycles. Need a lawnmower? Soichiro’s crew has you covered. How about a snowblower? Ditto. That mill for your go-fast boat? But of course! In the spirit of unifying its disparate product lines, Honda has ginned up an outboard with a design inspired by the Acura NSX, set to go on display at the Miami International Boat Show. Because of course Honda did. --Called—inventively—the Honda Marine Concept Engine,
- -Most people don’t look to crossovers and SUVs because they are interested in off-road prowess. Most people simply want a vehicle that can carry their crew and make them feel confident when the conditions get a little hairy. Luckily, with the Land Rover Discovery Sport, you don’t have to choose. As automotive journalists Adrian Simpson and Bradley Hasemeyer learn, the 240-hp Discovery Sport is just as comfortable scaling small hills and traversing muddy pathways as it is cruising hig
- -Fans of four-cylinder luxury cars, your Jaguar has arrived. The Jaguar XF sees its base price fall by $475 for the 2018 model year with the introduction of the new $48,770 25t trim powered by, you guessed it, a four-cylinder engine. With its all-new 247-hp turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four, the XF 25t bridges the performance gap that exists between the 180-hp diesel 20d and the 340-hp supercharged V-6 35t. Like the 20d and the 35t, the XF 25t is available with either rear- or all-wheel drive a
- -Now entering its fifth generation as a 2018 model, the new Hyundai Accent sedan looks more mature than ever, taking styling cues from larger Hyundais. A new chassis, a revised four-cylinder engine, and several new tech features look to make the redesigned Accent a more formidable competitor to other subcompacts such as the Toyota Yaris iA and the Ford Fiesta. READ MORE ››-
- BMW has announced a recall of nearly 9,000 vehicles from the 2011 and 2012 model years. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, a key driveshaft component on those cars may be prone to break. The component in question is the rear driveshaft constant-velocity joint (aka the CV joint), which was manufactured in Germany by...
- In January, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued some preliminary data on traffic fatalities for the first nine months of 2016. Now, the National Safety Council has released estimates of its own, providing more strong hints that the number of roadway deaths in America rose sharply last year. NHTSA vs the NSC Stats from NHTSA...
- Drop in driving and car ownership suggests that America's love affair with cars may be over With lots of wide-open spaces and a sprawling (though crumbling) system of roads, America has been an ideal country for cars. But a new study from the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute suggests that our long, national love affair with...
- -The once popular catchphrase for performance “There’s no replacement for displacement” has given way to a more-difficult-to-catchphrase phenomenon wherein smaller, turbocharged engines are replacing larger, naturally aspirated ones. Maybe “size doesn’t matter” is a good way to describe the trend, and either way, power figures are on the rise. So consider us surprised that the next-generation McLaren Super Series bucks the trend toward engine downsiz
- -If there’s one thing supercar builder Horacio Pagani wants everybody to know about his new Pagani Huayra roadster, it’s this: This is not just a Huayra with the roof removed. This is a brand-new car, even if it has the same name and general shape as the gullwing coupe that came before. Pagani says it applied lessons learned from creating the hard-core Huayra BC to every detail on the roadster. Although it uses the same Mercedes-AMG V-12 mounted amidship, the roadster is more powerfu
- With lots of wide-open spaces and a sprawling (though crumbling) system of roads, America has been an ideal country for cars. But a new study from the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute suggests that our long, national love affair with automobiles may be coming to an end. It wouldn't be the first time we've heard that. In...
- -Stops to the gas station are what they are. They add time to trips, they can sometimes make clothes smell weird (or good, if you’re like us), and oh, yeah, you spend money. Jaguar Land Rover, in conjunction with Shell gasoline, is taking a crack at streamlining the fill-up process with an in-car Shell gasoline app that allows consumers to pay for fuel right from their cars via Apple Pay and PayPal.-The new app arrives as part of Jaguar’s updates for the 2018
- -The Silverado is not our 2017 10Best Full-Size Pickup, but it made the Ford F-150 sweat for the win. The Silverado offers strong powertrains, serious hauling capability, good real-world fuel economy, and a plethora of features, but it comes up short on ride and seat comfort. Its top 6.2-liter V-8 tows the most in the class and wins our highway fuel-economy test. Its brawn is balanced by looks that mean business, handsome interior trim, user-friendly infotainment, and 4G LTE Wi-Fi connectivity.
- -What It Is: A much-needed expansion to Cadillac’s threadbare crossover and SUV lineup, which currently consists of a single crossover (the XT5) and a single SUV (the Escalade). As the number in the XT3’s name suggests, the new crossover is smaller than the mid-size XT5, which in turn is smaller than the land-crushing Escalade, a beast that might as well be called the XT1500. Seen here, the XT3 is still a prototype; in mid-2018, it will be ready to plunge into the ultra-hot-selling c
- -The 2017 Hyundai Ioniq is serious about upstaging the reigning king of green cars, the Toyota Prius. That hybrid icon has been without peer—until this year, when the Hyundai Ioniq sets its sights directly at the heart of the Prius market with its Ioniq hybrid, and beyond, with an all-electric Ioniq Electric variant.-First the Ioniq hybrid claimed the title of most fuel-efficient vehicle without a charging plug (58 mpg combined), while the Ioniq Electric nabbed most efficient electric vehi
- -The unprecedented vehicle buyback of Volkswagen TDIs has spawned a cottage industry in which some enterprising dealers and individuals have begun to acquire scandal-affected vehicles en masse. Technically, it is not illegal for someone to buy multiple TDI cars and sell them back to Volkswagen. What would raise some red flags for the Federal Trade Commission is if the vehicles were acquired deceptively.-Why are people trying to amass the diesel-powered VWs? Because Volkswagen is paying generousl
- Earlier this week, Chevrolet announced some impressive fuel economy figures for its newest Cruze Diesel sedan. Meanwhile, a federal court in Michigan has given nine owners of previous Cruze Diesels the green light to continue their joint lawsuit against Chevrolet and its parent company, General Motors. That suit was initially filed in June 2016...
- Volkswagen has announced a recall of more than 1,000 Passat vehicles from the 2017 model year. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that some of those vehicles may be losing brake fluid, which could reduce their braking power over time. The issue is rooted in brake-line components supplied by Sanoh America Inc., based in...
- Smart dropping gas models, to go all-electric In the future, you won't see one of Mercedes-Benz's diminutive Smart vehicles stopping at a gas station unless its driver has a craving for a bottle of Dr Pepper or a lottery ticket. GM in talks to sell European Opel division to French automaker Detroit-based General Motors has confirmed discussions...
- Jaguar and Shell Oil have teamed up to create a new in-car app that allows drivers to pay for fuel without ever swiping their credit card at a gas station. Instead, drivers can tap their cars' infotainment screens to finish the transaction using either PayPal or ApplePay. ALSO SEE: Drop in driving and car ownership suggests that America's love...
Engines au Naturel: An Unfettered Look Under the Hood at Some of History‚Äôs Most Significant Engines----------------------------------
- The 2017 Hyundai Ioniq hybrid hatchback will arrive in dealers next month for an aggressively low starting price that may raise some eyebrows in competitors' showrooms. The hybrid version of the Ioniq, which is available in three configurations, will start from $23,035 including a mandatory $835 destination charge. That's several thousand below...
Follow @Car_News_UK on Twitter!