Wayne Rooney is still rated highly by Jose Mourinho (Picture: Getty)Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has stated firmly that he has no intention of selling unsettled captain Wayne Rooney.
Rumour Mill: our round-up of football gossip, rumours and speculation
The England international has had one of the toughest seasons of his career so far this term, recently finding himself out of favour in the Red Devils’ starting line up.
Rooney no longer looks at the peak of his powers and is
- • Manager says rebuilding job at Old Trafford is significant
• Wayne Rooney will not be leaving, insists PortugueseJosé Mourinho has said the rebuilding job at Manchester United requires more than a sprinkle of salt and pepper as he claimed demand for immediate success is greater on him and at Old Trafford than their Premier League rivals.Mourinho – who insists the United captain, Wayne Rooney, is “going nowhere” – is still seeking consistent results, sel
- • Manager says he respects player’s situation at Manchester United
• Merseysiders face West Ham looking for first win in six matchesEverton’s manager Ronald Koeman will be “very pleased” should the opportunity come about for him to bring Wayne Rooney back to the club.There has been plenty of talk of late about the prospect of Manchester United captain Rooney leaving Old Trafford, with him having been dropped to the Red Devils’ bench last month. Related: Ev
- Wayne Rooney could return to Everton accorindg to a former Toffees teammate. (Picture: Getty)Manchester United skipper Wayne Rooney has been tipped for a return to boyhood club Everton by former teammate Leon Osman.
Rooney, 31, has lost his starting place in both the Manchester United and England teams this season and has been linked with moves… Read the full story
- Captain Wayne Rooney of Manchester United sits on the bench. (Picture: Getty)Everton manager Ronald Koeman has told Wayne Rooney that the door of Goodison Park is always open.
Rooney, who began his career at Everton after emerging from the club’s youth academy at the age of 16, made a record £25million transfer to Manchester United in 2004.
A devout Evertonian, Dutch manager Koeman was forced to admit he’d love to bring the 31-year-old England captain back to the club
- Wayne Rooney was playing football at the time of the incident (Picture: James Baylis – AMA/Getty)An ex-serviceman has admitted attempting to break into the home of Wayne Rooney.
Robert McNamara from Scarborough, North Yorkshire, pleaded guilty at Chester Crown Court following the trespassing incident, which took place while the footballer played in his club testimonial match.
Read the full story
Manchester United star Wayne Rooney needs to accept he can’t play three times a week, claims Barcelona legend XaviWayne Rooney has been out of form this season (Picture: Getty)Barcelona legend Xavi believes Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney can still play at the highest level if he lessens his playing time.
According to the Spaniard, the 31-year-old still has the ability to impress, but he needs to stop aiming to play in every game for the Red Devils.
Man Utd mysteriously omit FA Cup trophy from 2016/2017 squad photo
Manager Jose Mourinho has dropped his captain in recent weeks after a dismal run of fo
- • Interim manager says Rooney remains influential despite being dropped
• Rashford could play at 2017 European U21 Championship, says SouthgateGareth Southgate has suggested Wayne Rooney’s status as England captain is not under threat despite him being dropped by Manchester United and has left the door open for Marcus Rashford to play at the European Under-21 Championship next summer.Rooney has not started any of United’s past four Premier League games. He missed the 4-0 de
- Wayne Rooney has been dropped by club and country (Picture: Getty)Manchester United legend Steve Bruce thinks that captain Wayne Rooney is world class.
Now Aston Villa manager, the former defender believes that the 31-year-old guarantees goals if he is played up front.
Rumour Mill: our round-up of football gossip, rumours and speculation
United have scored only once in their last three Premier League matches, with Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s goals appearing to dry up.
However, Rooney has only hit
- Read the full story
- Today’s fluff does not like chasing wasps in the darkJust who does José Mourinho think he is? Coming over here, winning all those medals he’s so bashful about, taking charge of Manchester United and … wait for it … adopting a “distant, hands-off approach” to training. If work-experience’s Rui Faria is going to be left to look after proceedings on the training pitch, no wonder his side proved as useful as a blow-up dartboard at the Bridge on Sund
- Wayne Rooney was back in the Man United starting lineup against Fenerbahce in midweek (Getty)Wayne Rooney must stay at Manchester United ‘until he dies’ because he’s a ‘club icon’, Red Devils loanee Andreas Pereira has said.
The United and England skipper has endured a frustrating start to the season, losing his place in the first team after a string of poor performances prompted heavy criticism.
MoreDomestic abuse victim shares pictures of her i
- Wayne Rooney has missed Manchester United’s trip to Chelsea. (Getty Images)Jose Mourinho has confirmed that Wayne Rooney has missed Manchester United’s clash with Chelsea due to a thigh injury.
The England captain played the full 90 minutes in the win over Fenerbahce on Thursday but he did not make the bench for Sunday’s fixture at Stamford Bridge.
And the United boss has confirmed that… Read the full story
- Wayne Rooney has been linked with a big-money move to China. (Getty Images)Jose Mourinho insists Manchester United will never actively look to sell Wayne Rooney.
The 30-year-old’s last start in the Premier League was over a month ago in the 3-1 defeat to Watford, while he has been constantly linked with a move away from Old Trafford next summer.
Rooney is in… Read the full story
Manchester United or Liverpool? Wayne Rooney tells Michael Owen to make his mind up once and for allMichael Owen and Wayne Rooney were teammates for both Manchester United and England (Picture: Getty)Wayne Rooney might not be as perceptive on the pitch as he once was but he doesn’t miss a trick off it.
The Manchester United skipper, who is reported to be a doubt for his side’s match against Chelsea on Sunday, couldn’t resist taking a pop at his former England and club colleague Michael Owen who was hoping for a convincing win for Liverpool against West Brom at
- Jose Mourinho is making his first return to Stamford Bridge since joining Man United (Getty)Wayne Rooney and Henrikh Mkhitaryan were not in the Manchester United squad travelling to London for their clash with Chelsea, reports have claimed.
Jose Mourinho’s side face the Blues on Sunday afternoon, the Portuguese manager’s first return to his former club since taking the reigns at Old Trafford.
MoreRead the full story
Michael Owen cannot believe Wayne Rooney let Paul Pogba take Manchester United’s first penalty against FenerbahceWayne Rooney is Manchester United’s usual penalty taker (Picture: Getty)Michael Owen said it annoyed him to see Wayne Rooney give up his penalties duties to Paul Pogba during Manchester United’s 4-1 win against Fenerbahce on Thursday night.
Rooney has been the designated penalty taker at United for 12 years, but it was Pogba who… Read the full story
- They used to be the main men at Manchester United but time is catching up as Fenerbahce’s Europa League visit to Old Trafford showedThe presence of Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie revived memories of when Manchester United were last a force. Those halcyon days occurred three long years ago when a record 20th championship was claimed at Old Trafford on an April night. Van Persie’s hat-trick sank Aston Villa and Sir Alex Ferguson lauded the Dutchman’s second strike as the &ldqu
- Paul Pogba asked Wayne Rooney to take United’s first penalty against Fenerbahce (Getty Images)Paul Pogba has paid ‘big respect’ to Wayne Rooney for letting him take Manchester United’s… Read the full story
- Wayne Rooney will appreciate Jose Mourinho’s comments (Picture: Getty)Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney has nothing to prove, according to manager Jose Mourinho.
The 30-year-old has been dropped by the Portuguese and England in recent weeks, but returned to the Red Devils’ starting line up for their clash with Fenerbahce on Thursday night.
Rumour Mill: our round-up of football gossip, rumours and speculation
Despite questions being raised over the former Everton star’s rol
- Robin van Persie backs Wayne Rooney to get back to his best (Picture: Getty)Former Manchester United striker Robin van Persie has leaped to the defence of under-fire Red Devils captain Wayne Rooney.
Sir Philip Green should be stripped of his knighthood, rule MPs
The Dutchman, who returns to Old Trafford with Fenerbahce in the Europa League tonight, insists he cannot see what the fuss is about with Rooney being left out of the side in recent matches.
Fans and pundits alike have been cri
- José Mourinho says Manchester United have no ‘untouchables’ in their squad, unlike the Chelsea team that won two Premier League titles under him. Speaking at United’s training ground in Carrington on Wednesday, Mourinho doesn’t confirm if Wayne Rooney will play against Fenerbahçe and says he is happy with Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s start to his United career Continue reading...
- • Manager prepared to drop expensive signings Pogba and Ibrahimovic
• Coach refused to confirm if Rooney will start against FenerbahçeJosé Mourinho says he would be prepared to drop Paul Pogba and Zlatan Ibrahimovic as Manchester United have no “untouchables” in their squad, unlike the Chelsea team that won two Premier League titles under him.Instead, the manager pointed to the collective qualities of the team as being “non-negotiatable”. In Decemb
- Wayne Rooney has defended his Man United team-mate Paul Pogba (Picture: Getty)Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney has sent a message to Paul Pogba’s doubters, confidently predicting the midfielder will ‘shine’ this season.
Pogba has struggled to make an impact since returning to Old Trafford in a world-record £89million deal this summer and has only managed one goal in all competitions for the Red Devils.
The France star spent four years in Turin with Juventus, where h
- • José Mourinho’s side face Fenerbahce then go to former club Chelsea
• ‘It can be the start of something for us this season,’ says RooneyWayne Rooney has described Manchester United’s draw with Liverpool as the start of a defining period that could shape a Premier League title challenge.United became the first side to take a point from Anfield this season when they stifled Liverpool in a dour stalemate on Monday. José Mourinho’s team host Fe
Wayne Rooney sends heartfelt message to Robin van Persie ahead of striker’s Manchester United returnManchester United captain Wayne Rooney says he’s looking forward to welcoming his ‘friend’ Robin van Persie back to Old Trafford.
The Dutchman is expected to start for Fenerbahce when the Turkish side travel to the Theatre of Dreams on Thursday night.
The 33-year-old left United in 2015 after three years with the Red Devils.
Van Persie inspired United to a historic 20th league title in Sir Alex Ferguson’s final year at the club and he bagged 58 goals in 108 appearances i
- Wayne Rooney has been benched for Manchester United’s last three games. (Getty Images)Jose Mourinho insists Wayne Rooney has not lost his place at Manchester United and maintains the striker is still his first choice.
The England captain has been benched for United’s last three matches before the international break, while he was also dropped by Gareth Southgate for England’s World Cup qualifier against Slovenia.
But despite being overlooked, Mourinho maintains that Rooney is s
- • Portuguese says his captain can play everywhere and is ‘first-choice’
• Manchester United face Liverpool at Anfield on Monday nightJosé Mourinho says any confusion Wayne Rooney has about being a midfielder is not down to him after Manchester United’s captain indicated a desire to play there during the international break.On Monday night Mourinho takes United to Liverpool with his side trailing Jürgen Klopp’s team by three points and three positions
Manchester United eye transfer for Atletico Madrid’s Antoine Griezmann as replacement for Wayne RooneyAntoine Griezmann could leave Atletico Madrid (Picture: Getty)Manchester United are reportedly interested in the transfer of Atletico Madrid forward Antoine Griezmann.
According to the Sunday Mirror, the Red Devils are eyeing the France international as a replacement for floundering captain Wayne Rooney.
Man Utd’s Depay eyed for Wolfsburg transfer
30-year-old Rooney has been dropped by Jose Mourinho and England in recent weeks, with the former Everton man seemingly unable to lift himself o
- Wayne Rooney has been spending more time on the bench recently (Picture: Getty)Resident Sky Sports clown Paul Merson has been at it again, this time losing the plot over where to play Wayne Rooney.
Speaking on Gillette Soccer Saturday, Merson passionately announced where he would play the England skipper who has lost his place in both the Manchester United and England teams so far this… Read the full story
- Man United captain Wayne Rooney has received the backing of Marcus Rashford (Picture: Getty)Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney has received the support of Marcus Rashford after being dropped by both Jose Mourinho and England boss Gareth Southgate in recent weeks.
Rooney found himself of the bench for United’s match against Leicester towards the end of September and has not started for the Premier League giants in any competition since.
The 30-year-old’s misery was compounded
- Wayne Rooney will grow increasingly frustrated, predicts Redknapp (Getty)Wayne Rooney has the capacity to turn around the fortunes of Arsenal or Chelsea if one the London clubs signed the troubled Manchester United striker.
That’s the view of former Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp who believes those sides should seriously consider a move for the England captain.
Rooney is currently out of both the Manchester United and England sides as he goes through what he himself called a ‘diffi
- Wayne Rooney was dropped by Gareth Southgate for the midweek World Cup qualifier against Slovenia (Picture: Getty)Jose Mourinho insists he’s not concerned by Gareth Southgate’s treatment of Wayne Rooney and claims the England skipper has not been affected either.
Rooney was dropped by England’s interim manager for the World Cup qualifier against Slovenia in midweek, following on from his demotion at club level.
MoreRead the full story
- Wayne Rooney has been out of form for club and country (Picture: Getty)Manchester United legend Gary Pallister has told Jose Mourinho to play Wayne Rooney against Liverpool.
The Red Devils face their fierce rivals on Monday evening, and the Old Trafford favourite believes the 30-year-old could be fired up after being dropped and booed on England duty.
Defoe reveals how Rooney can extend his Man Utd career
The Portuguese has left his skipper out in recent matches, but a disappointing draw with St
- Jermain Defoe has given Wayne Rooney some tips (Picture: Getty)Sunderland striker Jermain Defoe has given Manchester United star Wayne Rooney tips on how to extend his career.
The 30-year-old has been dropped by both United and England in recent weeks, with many claiming that he is no longer able to reach the heights he once did.
However, Defoe believes that the former Everton man can keep going long in to his 30s – much like Old Trafford favourite Ryan Giggs.
‘Is age an irrelevance?
- Wayne Rooney has started the last three Manchester United games on the bench (Picture: Getty)Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney must start against Liverpool on Monday night, according to former Red Didi Hamann.
The United skipper has been under immense pressure in recent weeks and was demoted to the England bench during the international break on the back of being dropped by Jose Mourinho.
MoreSon confronts double-glazing salesman who 'charged £6,000 for £50 job'Read the full sto
- Wayne Rooney has 20 months to run on his current deal (Picture: Getty)Manchester United are considering selling Wayne Rooney next summer to get the forward’s £300,000-a-week contract off the wage bill, according to reports.
Rooney, 31 this month, has been dropped from the United side in recent weeks and is expected to start on the bench when Jose Mourinho’s side face Liverpool at Anfield on Monday night.
Mourinho’s shown the ruthlessness that aluded David Moyes and Louis
- After a gloomy international break Rooney returns to Manchester United unsure how many chances to shine he will get before England reconvene next monthGlacial is the word that springs to mind when contemplating international breaks these days. Every few weeks the hurly burly of the Premier League gives way to a version of the same sport that operates at a snail’s pace. That is not just watching England either. Time seems to stand still for the whole of the process, making Wayne Rooney losi
- Manager’s new-muddled army show all the old failings and are fortunate to take a point off a well-drilled Slovenia in a difficult trip to Stadion StoziceLife without Wayne Rooney did not even extend into the last quarter of an hour at the Stozice Stadium. The board went up 18 minutes from time summoning Dele Alli from the fray, the substitute trotting on to receive the armband from Jordan Henderson before he settled into that pocket of space in front of Slovenia’s rearguard. The stor
- Gareth Southgate’s team were fortunate to take a point off a well-drilled Slovenia from a difficult trip to Stadion StoziceLife without Wayne Rooney did not even extend into the last quarter of an hour at the Stozice Stadium. The board went up 18 minutes from time summoning Dele Alli from the fray, the substitute trotting on to receive the armband from Jordan Henderson before he settled into that pocket of space in front of Slovenia’s rearguard. The story was there to be made his own
- Ryan Giggs insists Wayne… Read the full story
- Wayne Rooney could miss out on becoming England’s all-time record cap holder following his recent demotion (Picture: Getty)It’s been a pretty dismal couple of weeks for fallen hero Wayne Rooney, axed from both the Manchester United and England starting line-ups with a host of glittering records tantalisingly within his reach.
The 30-year-old is closing in on Peter Shilton’s England caps record and should still, just about, make it, despite having been dropped by Gareth Southgat
- Chelsea defender John Terry has defended Manchester United and England captain Wayne Rooney after the forward was booed during the Three Lions’ win against Malta.
Rooney was subjected to boos from the home crowd as Gareth Southgate’s side ran out comfortable 2-0 winners at Wembley.
The 30-year-old’s lost his starting spot in Jose Mourinho’s starting XI and Southgate confirmed yesterday that Rooney will start tonight’s qualifier against Slovenia on the bench.
- • United captain left out of a competitive international for first time
• Rooney confident he can still overtake Peter Shilton’s 125-cap recordWayne Rooney has insisted he will not contemplate retiring from international football despite being dropped from a competitive England fixture for the first time in his career and a tacit admission from the Manchester United player that he was experiencing the most difficult period of his professional life.Rooney’s removal from Gare
- England captain Wayne Rooney appears alongside interim manager Gareth Southgate on Monday to explain the decision to drop Rooney from the starting lineup for Tuesday’s World Cup qualifying match against Slovenia. Southgate tells the media that the choice had been made after a close look at Slovenia’s strengths and weaknesses, while Rooney lends his support by saying he understands and respects the manager’s decisionEngland captain Wayne Rooney dropped by Gareth SouthgateContinu
- • Gareth Southgate happy with his choice of skipper
• Wayne Rooney praises his replacement in SloveniaJordan Henderson will lead England out against Slovenia on Tuesday with the interim manager, Gareth Southgate, having praised his impact and growing maturity at Liverpool since he took on the unenviable task of succeeding Steven Gerrard as captain at club level.The midfielder, who impressed against Malta on Saturday, will earn his 30th cap at the Stozice Stadium while the team’s
- English football loved the assassin‑faced baby but what we are left with now is a fading pro, approaching his 31st birthdayIt has all seemed so joyless at times, with so many long, difficult periods when it has seemed like a black drape could be placed over the entire team it might surprise you to learn that when Gareth Southgate took his seat in the Stadion Stozice and set out his reasons for dropping Wayne Rooney it was seven years to the day since England had lost a qualifying fixt
- English football loved the assassin‑faced baby but what we are left with now is a fading pro, approaching his 31st birthdayIt has all seemed so joyless at times, with so many long, difficult periods when it has seemed like a black drape could be placed over the entire team it might surprise you to learn that when Gareth Southgate took his seat in the Stadion Stozice and set out his reasons for dropping Wayne Rooney it was seven years to the day since England had lost a qualifying fixture.I
- Wayne Rooney has been dropped by England manager Gareth Southgate. (Picture: Getty)England captain Wayne Rooney claims he did not notice sections of England fans booing him during the 2-0 win over Malta.
The Manchester United skipper, who has been dropped by interim Three Lions boss Gareth Southgate for the World Cup qualifier on Tuesday night, addressed the media ahead of the game.
‘To be honest I wasn’t aware of it,’ Rooney answered when asked about the boos ringing
- Wayne Rooney backed Jordan Henderson in the England press conference. (Picture: Getty)England captain Wayne Rooney has backed stand-in skipper Jordan Henderson after being dropped by Gareth Southgate.
Rooney, dropped to the bench for England’s World Cup qualifier against Slovenia on Tuesday night, will hand over the captaincy to Liverpool midfielder Henderson.
‘I’m positive. Of course I want to play but I’m in a positive frame of mind and ready to come on
Follow @WayneRooneyNew1 on Twitter!