- In both your news report (UK schools failing to climb global league table, December 7) and your editorial (Slicing up the Pisa results) you make the mistake, common throughout the media and across many commentators, of assuming that the results from the OECD Programme for International Student Assessment, tell us anything useful about the relative performance of different educational systems.Each of the 70 or so countries taking part in Pisa has a unique educational curriculum, structure an
- Spectator.co.uk (blog)
Tony Blair's IRA amnesty should also apply to British soldiers
This morning's Sun carries the story that all British soldiers involved in killings in Northern Ireland during the three decades of the Troubles now face investigation. More than 1,000 ex-service personnel 'will be viewed as manslaughter or murder ...and more »
- Like another poster boy for trickle-down economics – Tony Blair – the New Zealand prime minister had the Teflon gene. Even while presiding over record levels of child poverty, his popularity remained highJohn Key’s legacy will not be defined by great policy achievements; it’s his success as the model of a neoliberal leader – a poster boy for trickle-down economics – that he will be remembered for. Key presided over increasing and gross social inequality with a
- Fox News
Former British PM Tony Blair warns Western democracy is in peril
Tony Blair, the former British prime minister, warned of what he saw to be “perilous” times for Western democracies after seismic events like like Brexit and the recent defeat of Italy's reform referendum that led to the country's premier to announce ...
Tony Blair and Nick Clegg risk damaging British business by seeking to block BrexitCity A.M.all 432 news articles »
- The OECD’s pupil survey is full of facts but not much enlightenmentTony Blair wanted to be remembered for his education reforms, and the latest results from the OECD’s Programme for International Student Assessment – Pisa – the triennial survey of the skills of 15-year-olds suggest that if only he had concentrated on his domestic agenda, he probably would have been. The Pisa scores are notorious for revealing no consistent message, but it is striking that England’s
George Galloway's Darlington visit broadcast to thousands as he predicts Tony Blair's political comeback - The Northern Echo (registration)The Northern Echo (registration)
George Galloway's Darlington visit broadcast to thousands as he predicts Tony Blair's political comeback
The Northern Echo (registration)
AN outspoken politician's visit to the region was viewed by thousands of people across the world. George Galloway was greeted by a packed house when he arrived in Darlington to host a screening of his film, The Killings of Tony Blair. A sold-out event ...and more »
- Press & Sun-Bulletin
Exclusive: Tony Blair sees dangerous times ahead for Western democracies
Press & Sun-Bulletin
WASHINGTON — Former British prime minister Tony Blair warns that political upheaval from Great Britain's Brexit vote in June to the collapse of the Italian government on Sunday signals the most dangerous time for Western democracies in decades. "It ...
Tony Blair warns the world is in 'peril' after election of Trump and shock anti-establishment vote in Italy - Daily MailDaily Mail
Tony Blair warns the world is in 'peril' after election of Trump and shock anti-establishment vote in Italy
Tony Blair has warned an 'immense amount of anger' is the 'common thread between political shocks that have left the world 'in peril'. The former prime minister said he was troubled by the succession of extraordinary upheavals at the ballot box during ...
- Daily Beast
Tony Blair: Social Media Transformed Global Politics
'The alternative to a strongman can't be a weak center,' the former prime minister said at a moment when faith in democracy appears to be in decline. Eleanor Clift. 12.05.16 8:20 PM ET. With Donald Trump's upset win foreshadowed by the U.K. referendum ...
- PBS NewsHour
Tony Blair on why he's advocating for a global policy 'center ground ...
Tony Blair, former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, believes the populist wave coursing across the globe is dangerous -- and likely to exacerbate, rather ...and more »
- The Guardian
Tony Blair calls for 'strong and vibrant' centrist voices during Washington visit
Tony Blair highlighted the 'revolutionary phenomenon' of social media and its effect on politics. Photograph: Ben Stansall/AFP/Getty Images. David Smith in Washington. Monday 5 December 2016 18.14 EST. Share on Facebook · Share on Twitter · Share via ...
Tony Blair sees dangerous times ahead for Western democraciesCNBCall 4 news articles »
- Former British prime minister warns ‘weak centre’ in politics cannot prevent the rise of authoritarian figures but avoids pessimism over Donald TrumpTony Blair brought his crusade to revitalise the political centre ground to Washington on Monday, warning that the rise of strongmen such as Russia’s Vladimir Putin and Rodrigo Duterte of the Philippines threatened the foundations of liberal democracy. The former British prime minister told a gathering of politicians and businesspe
Tony Blair sees dangerous times ahead for Western democracies
Former British prime minister Tony Blair warns that political upheaval from Great Britain's Brexit vote in June to the collapse of the Italian government on Sunday signals the most dangerous time for Western democracies in decades. "It does feel ...
Tony Blair calls for 'strong and vibrant' centrist voices during ...The Guardianall 4 news articles »
- The Mancunion
The forging of Tony Blair
Everyone's favourite political figure (the one accused of war crimes) is back! Well, I say he is everyone's favourite, but then I have always had a soft spot for genocidal military leader Ratko Mladić — mainly for his stand-up comedy. Tony is not here ...
- City A.M.
Tony Blair and Nick Clegg risk damaging British business by seeking to block Brexit
Dr Peter Cruddas is chief executive of CMC Markets Group, a founding supporter o [..] Show more. 2016 Starkey Hearing Foundation So The World May Hear Awards Gala. Tony Blair is plotting to reverse the Brexit vote (Source: Getty). Peter Cruddas.and more »
'We should be proud of Tony Blair' - North East MP defends from Prime Minister over Iraq invasion - ChronicleLiveChronicleLive
'We should be proud of Tony Blair' - North East MP defends from Prime Minister over Iraq invasion
A North East MP has come to the defence of Tony Blair over the invasion of Iraq and insisted he doesn't deserve the abuse he currently receives. Phil Wilson, who replaced Mr Blair as Labour MP for Sedgefield in 2007, insisted: “We should be proud of ...
'Just GET ON with Brexit' Labour MP brands Tony Blair 'MISGUIDED' for disrupting democracy - Express.co.ukExpress.co.uk
'Just GET ON with Brexit' Labour MP brands Tony Blair 'MISGUIDED' for disrupting democracy
TONY BLAIR has been told to quit wasting his time attempting to delay Brexit and instead focus on helping Britain achieve a prosperous future outside the EU. By Joe Barnes, Exclusive. PUBLISHED: 08:00, Sat, Dec 3, 2016 | UPDATED: 11:00, Sat, Dec 3, ...
- Daily Beast
Tony Blairs Back! And He Wants To Block Brexit
The former British prime minister jumps back into the political game with a new organization to counter anti-EU populism. Tom Sykes. 12.02.16 9:01 PM ET. If all political careers end in failure, Tony Blair's political afterlife is a failure most of us ...
Tony Blair sets up institute to fight populismThe Straits Timesall 4 news articles »
- Tony Blair sets up institute to fight populism
The Straits Times
LONDON • Former British prime minister Tony Blair is launching a policy institute to provide "thought leadership" to politicians who are seeking to combat the rise of populism on the right and left in the aftermath of the Brexit vote. "This is not ...and more »
Tony Blair: the complete politician
His comeback will take the form of a new centre ground campaign. It is most welcome. by John McTernan / December 2, 2016 / Leave a comment. ©Stefan Rousseau/PA Wire/PA Images. Former Prime Minister Tony Blair ©Stefan Rousseau/PA Wire/PA ...
- Daily Mail
Roxy Jacenko's sister Ruby Davis weds Tony Blair aide Jackson Eisenpresser
Ruby Davis, the estranged little sister of the Sydney public relations identity, wed Jackson Eisenpresser at a secretive Los Angeles ceremony in March. The wealthy American has managed to so far avoid most of the spotlight that falls on the family ...
- Continue reading...
- Chip away, every day. This is a long game but, as harsh reality bites, time will be on the side of the remainersThose of us with only a smattering of knowledge about the ancient world know one thing about Cato the Elder. During Rome’s long wars against Hannibal, Cato ended every speech in the senate with the same words: “Carthage must be destroyed.”“Brexit must be stopped” is unlikely to last as long as Cato’s catchphrase has managed to. But it focuses the min
- Herald Scotland
May to snub Tony Blair's new group to fight forces of Brexit 'populism'
Tony Blair is to set up a new organisation to fight the forces he believes led to Brexit and the election of Donald Trump - but is likely to be snubbed by Theresa May. No 10 suggested that the Prime Minister would be too "busy" to look at the institute ...and more »
Tony Blair takes on populists
Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair on Thursday launched an initiative to combat right-wing populism and fight for the political center-ground. The Tony Blair Institute is not a think tank, Blair insisted, but a “policy unit” funded with around £8 ...
- Former PM says the organisation will be a response to the growing global forces of right and leftwing populismTony Blair has announced that he is to launch a new institute for centre-ground politics in response to what he said were growing concerns about the global forces of right and leftwing populism. Related: Tony Blair wonders what’s gone wrong with politics. How sad he can’t see it | Owen Jones I care about my country and the world my children and grandchildren will grow up in.
- News & Star
Tony Blair sets up institute to develop 'policy agenda for centre ground'
News & Star
Tony Blair has announced the creation of a new institute which he will use to develop "a new policy agenda for the centre ground". The former prime minister insisted that the organisation would not be a think tank, and its establishment was not a step ...
Tony Blair sets up new institute to tackle Brexit 'populism'
Tony Blair has announced the creation of a new policy unit which will combat "populism" and seek to influence Britain's withdrawal from the European Union. The former Labour prime minister insisted he was not returning to the front line of politics and ...
Tony Blair to launch new institute for centre-ground politicsThe Guardian
Tony Blair Institute 'to focus on making globalisation work'BBC News
- Rolling coverage of all the day’s political developments as they happenBrexit questions in the Commons - SummaryLunchtime summary 1.17pm GMTThis new populism may differ in some respects between left and right – the left anti-business, the right anti-immigrant – but in others what is remarkable is the convergence between them, especially around isolationism and protectionism, in what is an essentially closed-minded approach to globalisation and its benefits and to international
- Evening Standard
Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron and Tony Blair meet to discuss ...
Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron is the latest political figure to sit down for talks with Tony Blair on Brexit and the future of “progressive” politics.and more »
- Evening Standard
Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron and Tony Blair meet to discuss Brexit
Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron is the latest political figure to sit down for talks with Tony Blair on Brexit and the future of “progressive” politics. The pair met at Mr Blair's central London offices on Monday where they discussed the EU ...and more »
- Steve Bell's If ... will Darth Tony Blair oust toady Farage?
Why is scientific study being wasted on finding reasons for humourless people to justify their Santa denial? Published: 1 Dec 2016. Santa Claus is a phenomenal imagination driver. Leave him alone ...
- Continue reading...
- Labour MPs turn out in force to defeat Alex Salmond’s motion, accusing him of attempt to ‘pillory and scapegoat one individual’Labour MPs turned out in force on Wednesday to help defeat a parliamentary motion calling for Tony Blair to be held to account for allegedly misleading parliament over the Iraq war by 439 votes to 70, after a sometimes angry debate. Related: MPs debate motion accusing Blair of 'misleading' them over Iraq - Politics liveContinue reading...
- The Guardian
MPs reject move to investigate Tony Blair over Iraq by 369 votes
Tony Blair should be held to account for what was 'very much a personal campaign', Alex Salmond said. Photograph: Stefan Rousseau/PA. Jessica Elgot and Heather Stewart. Wednesday 30 November 2016 14.41 EST First published on Wednesday 30 ...
MPs reject Tony Blair Iraq investigationBBC News
Labour MPs free to vote for motion accusing Tony Blair of misleading parliament over IraqTelegraph.co.uk
- Labour MPs turn out in force to defeat Alex Salmond’s motion, accusing him of ‘an attempt to pillory and scapegoat one individual’Labour MPs turned out in force to help defeat a parliamentary motion calling for Tony Blair to be held to account for allegedly misleading parliament over the Iraq war by 439 votes to 70 on Wednesday, after an occasionally angry debate. Related: MPs debate motion accusing Blair of 'misleading' them over Iraq - Politics liveContinue reading...
- Rolling coverage of all the day’s political developments as they happen, including Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn at PMQsSnap PMQs verdictOpening of the Iraq/Blair debate - SummaryAfternoon summary 4.43pm GMTI know Zac Goldsmith and I like the guy, but the plain fact is that Zac is a political failure. Worst of all of is that he’s not only failed but betrayed the people of Richmond, who like the rest of London, voted overwhelmingly to stay in Europe. How can Goldsmith represent the op
- Rolling coverage of all the day’s political developments as they happen, including Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn at PMQs 4.07pm GMTMPs are voting now on the SNP’s Iraq/Blair motion. (See 9.12am.) 4.02pm GMTThe Iraq/Blair debate has just finished.Mike Penning, the defence minister, concluded by saying the government did not see the need for a new inquiry and would not be backing the motion. 3.51pm GMTHere is the key exchange between Rachel Reeves and Robert Chote earlier where Chote s
- MPs attack Alex Salmond for trying ‘to turn collective failure in Iraq into an attempt to pillory and scapegoat one individual’Labour MPs have accused the SNP’s Alex Salmond of playing party political games over a cross-party motion calling for Tony Blair to be held to account for allegedly misleading parliament over the Iraq war. Related: MPs debate motion accusing Blair of 'misleading' them over Iraq - Politics liveContinue reading...
- Rolling coverage of all the day’s political developments as they happen, including Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn at PMQs 1.11pm GMTHere is the summary from Glen Rangwala’s report (pdf).From late 2001 to March 2003, Tony Blair made three inter-related statements repeatedly to the House of Commons: (1) that no decision had been taken to use military force against Iraq; (2) that military action could be avoided by Iraq’s disarmament of its nuclear, chemical and biological weapons;
- Rolling coverage of all the day’s political developments as they happen, including Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn at PMQs 10.33am GMTPolice investigating child sex abuse should have a licence to practise similar to the system for firearms officers, Amber Rudd, the home secretary, told the College of Policing this morning. She said:It is important that only those who are absolutely qualified to perform critical roles dealing with the vulnerable are deployed to those situations. And that is w
- The Guardian
Labour split expected over motion on Tony Blair's role in Iraq war
Labour only has a one-line whip on its MPs for Wednesday's vote on whether Tony Blair misled the Commons. Photograph: Stefan Rousseau/PA. Rowena Mason Deputy political editor. Wednesday 30 November 2016 05.08 EST. Share on Facebook · Share ...
MPs debate motion calling for new Iraq inquiry into Tony Blair 'misleading' parliamentTelegraph.co.uk
MPs to debate Tony Blair Iraq role investigation
- Jeremy Corbyn to stay away from debate called by SNP on whether former prime minister misled MPs in run-up to invasionLabour MPs are expected to be split on Wednesday over whether to back a cross-party motion calling for Tony Blair to be held to account for his role in the Iraq war after he was criticised by the Chilcot report.Jeremy Corbyn, the Labour leader and long-term critic of Blair, is expected to stay away from the debate called by the SNP but other Labour MPs are likely to turn up to fi
- Continue reading...
Regime change – Mahathir, George Soros, Tony Blair and Clare Brown - Malaysia Outlook (press release) (registration)Malaysia Outlook (press release) (registration)
Regime change – Mahathir, George Soros, Tony Blair and Clare Brown
Malaysia Outlook (press release) (registration)
This article constitutes the fourth part to an ongoing series, part one of which touched on a complicity involving Albert Arnold Al Gore, a former United States (US) vice-president, and George Soros, a Hungarian-American billionaire magnate, to ...
- Steve Bell's If ... Darth Tony Blair has a deal for Jez Bi Wan Corbyn
Allowing trans people to use gender-neutral facilities doesn't put women at risk. It's just a distraction from the very real violence we face every day. Published: 2 Dec 2016. Fears around gender-neutral toilets are all in the mind ...
- Continue reading...
- ‘Overwhelming majority’ of parliamentary party opposes re-examining alleged discrepancies in former PM’s statements A private meeting of Labour MPs has voted overwhelmingly to oppose an SNP motion to investigate Tony Blair for allegedly misleading parliament, with MPs calling for the leadership to impose a three-line whip against the motion on Wednesday.SNP MPs led by Alex Salmond will put down a motion at their opposition day debate, backed by MPs from six other parties, calli
Nick Clegg defends 'formidable' Tony Blair in fight against Hard Brexit
Nick Clegg today defended "formidable" Tony Blair as he teamed up with Labour and Tory MPs to fight a damaging 'Hard Brexit '. The former Deputy Prime Minister spoke out after Mr Blair faced criticism for saying Brexit "can be stopped" if the British ...
Tony Blair must be allowed a voice in Brexit debate, says Nick CleggThe Independentall 18 news articles »
Clegg and Soubry 'would work with Tony Blair' in campaign against hard Brexit
Senior Liberal Democrat Nick Clegg and Conservative former minister Anna Soubry have said they are willing to work with Tony Blair as they continue to campaign against a hard Brexit. 0. Share this. Facebook; Twitter; Google plus; Email; Share. 0.
Secret plots, court cases and 'treason' plague UK government as it works on Brexit dealNEWS.com.auall 537 news articles »
Follow @TonyBlairNews on Twitter!