Few months after joining Don Jazzy’s Mavin Records, former Triple MG front man, Iyanya, is currently working on his Extended Play (EP) which he is expected to drop this month. The multiple-award winning artiste speaks with ADEWOYIN ADENIYI on why he left his former label which he co-owned, his decision to join Mavin Records, past relationship, among other issues. Excerpts.
Our music sounds different nowadays, what’s happening?
Yeah the sound is different; shout out to Don Jazzy. I&rs
- As Omoni Oboli insists on ownership Following a court injunction compelling filmmaker, Omoni Oboli to suspend the premiere and nationwide release of her latest movie, Okafor’s Law, FilmOne Distribution, Friday night, suspended the premiere and subsequent release of the movie.
Its Group Executive Director, Moses Babatope, however said the company is solidly behind the producer and director of the controversial movie.
Reacting to the injunction, Oboli insisted that the movie,&
- “Sometime in September”, an advocacy movie that seeks to rally support and care for patients of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) is set for premiere in Abuja, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
ASD, popularly known as “Autism”, is a developmental mental disorder characterised by social-communication challenges and restricted repetitive behaviour, activities and interests.
The Director of the movie, Mr Yaba Emmanuel, told NAN on Saturday in Abuja that the p
- Says Actor’s Legs Won’t Be Amputated
News that veteran Nollywood actor Victor Olaotan, may have his legs amputated following a motor accident he had in October 2016, has been debunked.
Reacting to an online publication which said the actor’s legs may be amputated, Olaotan’s publicisy, Demola Sanyaolu, rubbished the report in a telephone interview with The Nation on Friday night. He said the actor is ‘recovering’.
‘It is unfounded, baseless
- Here’s How A Colleague Describes His Passing In A TributeI never knew we could be close; never expected to weep for a friend who turned out to be a buddy. A guy who held no grudge, malice or hate in his good heart against another.
Today, he’s no more. His bit is done here on earth. I will always remember him. A guy I have worked so closely with in almost 10 months. Suddenly he disappear from my life. Death, O death, why?
He woke up this morning hale and hearty. He had breakfast at a
- Big Brother Naija housemate, Tony Offiong, aka ThinTallTony is the latest evictee on the show. In this interview with VICTOR AKANDE, the professional dancer who became controversial for concealing his marital status and claiming is ‘family’ were dead, noted that his denials were all about the game. He also insisted that nothing erotic happened between him and female housemate, Bisola, under the duvet.
HOW do you feel, not winning the N25million prize money?
To be honest I went into t
- Going by his financial status and the influence he wields, friends of Tope Shonubi had expected a grand celebration as his 50th birthday approached. But they got the exact opposite of their expectations as Shonubi, a founding member of the Sahara Group, the energy firm which has its tentacles spread all over the oil and gas sector, opted for a simple ceremony this time.
First came a simple thanksgiving service at Syrian Mosque located in Ikoyi, followed by a pool party at his Lagos home on Banan
- Erelu Tola Solomon is a popular name in the Lagos and Abuja social circles, and for good reason too. She is the life of any party, the star attraction at any event she decides to grace with her stylish presence. The woman of means is always on hand to honour invitations, and this has made her the toast of party hosts in Abuja and Lagos.
One look at the warm and charming woman would clear any lingering doubts about her top notch sense of fashion and style. Never would she be seen sporting mismatc
- PAY TV service provider, StarTimes, has lined up new exciting series on its ST Novela, Fox and AMC channels this month. This, its management says, is in a bid to further enrich entertainment and viewing pleasure for subscribers.
According to management, ST Novela begins Season 1 of Legendary Love, the story of a young lady who was unjustly accused of a clergyman’s murder. With that horrible crime, she was arrested and spent 23 years in prison. In the present day, a young lady must figure o
- If you think that being born as heiress to a billionaire means you have to live the rest of your life on autopilot, spending your parents’ money and not bothering to make a name for yourself or stand on your own feet at some point, you obviously have much to learn from Temi Otedola.
The youngest in a line of celebrity sisters born to billionaire oil and gas tycoon Femi Otedola, Temi is not resting in the knowledge that her father’s wealth is always there for her. She has gone out to
- Like a child who buries himself in his room after he was flogged for failing his school exam, Olumide Osoba, son of respected elder statesman, Aremo Segun Osoba, has kept far, far away from the klieg lights of politics. Since he lost his bid to retain his seat as the House of Representatives member for Abeokuta North/Obafemi-Owode/Odeda Federal Constituency in Ogun State, Olumide has recoiled into his shell.
After his stint in the National Assembly, a position he assumed by leveraging on his fat
- FANS of American fantasy drama and television series, Game of Thrones are up for a good time, as the 7thinstalment of the highly acclaimed series will air on Monday, July 17 on M-Net 101, at 2am with the Prime Time airing at 8:30pm.
Last week, HBO released a titillating teaser of the new season, from which one thing was certainly very clear: the Great War is here.
Based on the popular book series, ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’, by George R.R. Martin, this hit Emmy and Golden Globe-winning
- Many elder statesmen are faced with the conflict between love for the country and love for their reputation. They have to decide on whether they would stay on and keep contributing their quota to national development while risking overstaying their welcome or simply retire into the long night, leaving the stage for the younger ones to try their luck.
Former military administrator of Lagos State, Brig-Gen. Buba Marwa (rtd), seems to have settled for the latter option. Having failed several times
- ONE of the myths of the Big Brother show is the voice of the chief voyeur and instructor called Biggie. He is to be heard, not seen; neither by the housemates nor the fans of the show – only by his clients who would do anything to conceal his identity.
The curious case of this stern and sometimes genial personality, one could say is similar to that of Nigeria’s mask styled Afrocentric singer, Bisade Ologunde, aka Lagbaja, who separates his career personality from his person.
- Those who insist on taking paracetamol for Abby Kuku’s headache can continue to do so as far as the young man is concerned. The son of Ogbeni Oja Bayo Kuku is not interested in entertaining sycophants in their display of second-hand sympathy over his marital status.
Abby, who was catapulted to fame when he married celebrity fashionista Funke Fowler, daughter of Nigerian Inland Revenue boss, Tunde Fowler, has been chilling in relative obscurity since the union ended, although he has not tot
- …Says hosting event in Lagos will boost state’s tourism potentials
Lagos State Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode on Thursday said his administration has concluded plans to begin a total revamping of the National Arts Theatre in Iganmu, Lagos by next month in time for the 2017 Africa Movies Academic Awards (AMAA) ceremony holding in the State later in the year.
Ambode, who spoke when he played host to officials of AMAA led by its President, Mrs. Peace Anyiam-Osigwe at the Lagos H
- After being evicted from the Big Brother Naija house on Sunday, Tony Offiong, who is more popular as TTT, will be celebrated in the second eviction party which holds by 10pm today at No Chill in Lekki, Lagos.
The party, an initiative of Big Brother Naija will also have appearances by other ex-housemates as well as celebrities.
During the week, TTT had thanked fans and supporters who voted for him all through his stay in the house.
Taking to his Instagram account on Wednesday, TTT, a professional
- Following his 2009 release of the track, ‘Gbadun U Die’, budding Afropop artiste, Abiodun Akinpelu, aka Teebee, has returned with a new song titled ‘Alagbon’.
Described as a feel good tune, the artiste says that ‘Alagbon’ is a track that is out to create a necessary escape for music lovers, especially given all the chaos that has been taking place in our beloved country.
“Alagbon is an area in Lagos and the song has nothing to do with the popular police
- It was accolades by all and sundry, at the launch of the new National Museum by the government of Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State on March 6, 2017.
The event which took place at the Grand Ball Room, Eko Hotel & Suites, Victoria Island, witnessed the crème of art and culture industry, royal fathers and representatives from the three tiers of government.
This happened only few weeks after the governor announced his state’s partnership with the federal government to revamp the
- Universal Digital, an international record label and online promo outfit has concluded plans to hold a special talent competition in Lagos and other major cities in the country.
Tagged Mega Talent Show, the event, according to its management, is a platform created to offer young talented Nigerian singers a rare opportunity to showcase their creativity before a blend of international and local professional judges.
Initiator of the programme, Germany-based pop act, Marc Wilson revealed that &ldquo
- Multi-award winning singer, Waje, has kicked off her ‘Mountain Project’ shortly after dropping the video to her latest single ‘Mountain’ featuring popular South African singer, Lira.
The singer said the project aims at celebrating everyone who seeks victory despite life’s trials.
“Everyone has a story but the underlying idea of this project is to make people see their stories as that of persistence and determination, of the will to keep striving even amidst st
- All the way from Silicon Valley in the united States, Geeks on a Plane, a tour for startups, investors, and executives to learn about high-growth technology markets worldwide have visited Nigeria on a tech tour.
One of its core areas of interest is the thriving Nigerian movie industry, better known as Nollywood.
Addressing a press conference, Monday at Eko Hotel and Towers, Lagos, Dave Mclure, Founder 500 Start-ups, organisers of the invite-only tour stated that his organisation is currently foc
- Telecom service provider, MTN Nigeria has launched a digital comedy platform tagged Comedy+.
According to its management, the platform, which aims to boost Nigeria’s comedy industry, will aggregate indigenous comedy content, serve as a source of income for comedians as well as ensure on-demand access to comedy content for subscribers.
Speaking during the launch of the unique platform, the General Manager, Brands and Communications, MTN Nigeria, Richard Iweanoge said that the introduction o
- Lovers of arts and entertainment in Enugu are set to experience a poetry production by Dike Chukwumerije, Made in Nigeria, on March 25 at the Oakland Centre.
Dike, a performance poet, won the Abuja Literary Society Poetry Slam 2011 and the National Poetry Slam 2012. He has done three Performance Poetry videos, a bi-annual live Poetry show now in its 5th year and the theatre production, Made in Nigeria, which tells Nigeria’s history over the last 120 years.
“It is a great joy for us i
- Nollywood legend, Chiwetalu Agu is set to release a music video album titled Mr. President.
The album reflects on the everyday activities of an average Nigerian and the actor who is stepping into the music industry is especially concerned about the hardship in the country.
In one of the tracks, Mr. President, the comic actor reflects on the blessings God bestowed on Nigeria as well as poor leadership that has destroyed it, adding that he would do better things if made the president.
- As her way of observing the International Women’s Day, Fallen-In-Love crooner, Chidinma Ekile, via her NMA charity organisation for visually-impaired kids, has celebrated with children in Togo.
During her recent trip to the West African country, the songstress gave a warm hearted performance at the Special Woman’s Night after which she decided to use the opportunity to visit the SOS Enfants Village with numerous gift items.
With a desire to help the needy, Chidinma founded the NMA ch
- Kene Mkparu, Managing Director, Film One Distribution, has commended the technology investors from overseas and Nollywood for engaging in “geek meet nollywood”, aimed to network and explore greater connections between both ecosystems.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the event which took place at Film-House, Lekki, Lagos, brought Silicon Valley technology investors, who are currently transforming the global film industry together with Nollywood’s finest creative an
- After two energetic performances by each of the five bands in the drumming contest at the Excellency Tour in Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State, Ayan-Gbayi emerged the overall best drum band, clinching the N250, 000 (Two Hundred and Fifty Thousand Naira) prize money.At the glamorous event which took place at the Prosperous Hotel and Bar on Friday, March 10, 2017, Ifesowapo Group also came second with the reward of N150, 000 (One Hundred and Fifty Thousand Naira), while Itesiwaju Group emerged the third best
- BBNaija housemate, ThinTallTony, has returned to the country after Sunday night’s eviction show. Apparently still in shock over his sudden removal from the show, the lanky contestant is being confronted with questions, bothering on his earlier claim that his family members are all dead.It started with Efe being told to stay back by Ebuka Obi-Uchendu, as he was saved from eviction and then the most underrated Debbie-Rise, coming second in the votes ranking.When the bomb was released, it hit
- Since releasing his third studio album, ‘Oba Orin’, in 2016, singer Iledare Oluwajuwonlo, aka Jaywon is not showing any sign of slowing down.This time, Jaywon who is also the boss of Next World Music has pitched his tent with music producer Puffy Tee, going by his social media posts at the weekend.“After so many years, I’m back in the studio with the legendary producer @officialpuffytee,” he wrote on his Instagram account on Sunday, posting a picture of himself and
- An Indian talent discovery firm, Dazzlr, has announced collaboration with an ace African talent management company, Ascend Talent Management, to stimulate co-productions between the two continents.Dazzlr is in the business of bringing together actors, casting professionals, directors and producers, for the purpose of creating international film projects.Speaking on the occasion, Mr. Vivek Bohra, Producer and Co-Founder, Dazzlr said, “Our aim is to promote talent from across the world. We a
- The March edition of the popular Elders Forum, jointly organised by O’jez Entertainment Group and Evergreen Musical Company Limited (EMCL) will, on Sunday, March 26, 2017 celebrate veteran highlife musician Dr. Victor Abimbola Olaiya (OON).Known as the ‘Evil Genius of Highlife Music’, Olaiya has contributed to the growth and promotion of highlife music in Nigeria and across the world.The event will also honour Kaiyero Rotibi (aka Tyro), a virtuoso guitarist who is the oldest an
- Four among the remaining seven housemates were on Monday put up for eviction in the ongoing reality TV show, Big Brother Naija, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
The housemates for possible eviction on Sunday are Tboss, Debie-Rise, Bally and Bassey.
They got the highest nominations for possible eviction this Sunday.
Efe, who is the current Head of House is immune from eviction and he confirmed the four housemates for possible eviction to Biggie in the Diary Room. Efe was firs
- Dr Olakunle Churchill, the estranged husband of Nollywood actress, Tonto Dikeh, has blasted the latter, saying she abuses alcohol, marijuana and is temperamental.Churchill, a Ghana-based businessman and owner of Big Church Group of companies said this in an interview with Media Room Hub TV published over the weekend.About a fortnight earlier, Tonto had granted the same station an interview where she lambasted Churchill for domestic violence among other things.Relaying the incident which happened
- Nigerian comedienne, Helen Paul, has inked another endorsement deal as the new ‘Face of the Telecom Consumer’ by the Nigerian Communications Commission.According to reports, the comedienne signed the deal last Wednesday at the commission’s head office in Abuja.With her new endorsement, the actress joins Kannywood actor, Ali Nuhu, as the face of the Nigerian Telecom Consumer Campaign.A statement issued by the commission reads: “Following their appointments, Ali and Helen w
- To celebrate Mothers Day this year, fans of Nollywood actress Chioma Akpotha have an opportunity to win two hundred and fifty thousand shopping voucher.The gesture which is courtesy of Dunes Abuja, requests fans to celebrate their mum ahead of Mothers’ Day which holds on Sunday and was shared by Akpotha on her Instagram page.“Those who know me well know my mother was my everything, my friend and my backbone,” said Akpotha who reminisced about her mother.“Referring to her
- Following the success of his latest single, ‘IF’, hip hop artiste and record label boss, Davido, is set to go on a tour. Though he is yet to give details of the proposed tour, the artiste announced via his social media handles that he would be ‘hitting the road soon’.In a Saturday tweet, Davido hinted at Abuja being on the itinerary. ‘ABJ WAY let’s f..k up the city’, he wrote, attaching his picture to the tweet. On Sunday, the DMW boss provided more clue
- As part of its annual programme of ensuring that its members are in tune with global trends and happenings, the Electronic Media Content Owners Association of Nigeria (EMCOAN), an umbrella body of Chief Executives Officers (CEOs) of Content Owners in Nigeria, has announced its 2017 EMCOAN CEO Business Seminar scheduled for Thursday, March 23, 2017 at ADNA Hotels, GRA, Ikeja, Lagos.The seminar aims to look at content and distribution and the legality involved in intellectual property-related matt
- After the initial frenzy that inundated the housemates as a result of the unprecedented visit of the ace music producer, Don Jazzy and the DNA twins, housemates have literally evolved and morphed from their rather psychedelic excited mode to more musically creative personas.
Their potential hit song tentatively titled “see gobe” by the writer, which is clearly the brainchild of the incredibly talented housemates, is one that will stick closely to your subconscious whether you like it
- It was a surprise package Monday when Don Jazzy and the duo of DNA twins visited the housemates at the ongoing Big Brother Naija show.
The housemates were overjoyed to see Don Baba J as he is popularly called, with Bisola and Efe standing on the couch and watch in surprise when he walked in.
Big Brother had earlier told the housemates that they will work with the DNA Twins on their Song task for the week’s first task.
When the housemates were busy exchanging pleasantries with the DNA twins
- Triple MG artiste, Tekno Mile has dropped the video to his chat topping afro beat inspired song Rara.The Bauchi born singer dropped the video online on Friday March 17 after much sharing the behind the scene pictures on his instagram page.Rara which describes the hardship Nigerians are facing due to bad leadership captures some slums in Lagos from the third mainland bridge and how people are struggling to survive.The visuals also features some Afro Beat dancers .On October 5, 2013, he signed a m
- Nigerian-based record label, Tehila Records, has announced plans to host the fifth edition of its annual peace concert, the Alabanza Mega Gospel Concert, in South Africa.Supported by the South African High Commission, the concert, which is part of Tehila Records’ efforts to promote peace and unity on the African continent, is tagged South Africa meets Nigeria.The concert which will take place on Sunday, March 26, , at The Lyric Theatre, in Gold Riff, Johannesburg is described as a spiritua
- The latest movie by Nollywood actress and producer, Omoni Oboli, Okafor’s Law, is set to hot cinemas nationwide from March 31, 2017.Taking to her Instagram page on Friday, the actress wrote; “Hello…is it me you are looking for? It’s 14 days to #OkaforsLaw release! We are super excited. I thank God for his mercy and grace to see this day.”Okafor’s Law is a romantic comedy written, directed and produced by Omoni Oboli. The film stars Omoni Oboli, Ken Erics, Ufu
- Ayodeji Otis Kubeyinje aka DJ Timmy, an upcoming artiste, is working on a seven-track album he plans to drop later this year.DJ Timmy, an English Education graduate from Lead City University, is currently on his one-year national service in Lagos. DJ Timmy who sees music as a passion and has been a DJ for over 10 years also said he wants to use his talent to tackle societal ills such as violence against children and others.“I will try to use my talent to work on this,” sa
- AS part of the activities marking the UNICEF International Children’s day of Broadcasting, African Children of Peace Club, an affiliate with African Foundation for Peace and Love Initiative in partnership with WFM 91.7 has concluded plans to stage children interactive programme holding at the radio station, Arepo, Lagos-Ibadan Expressway on March 28, 2017.The Founding President of AFPLI, Rev Titus Oyeyemi said this in a release available to The Nation, said that the program tagged: the pow
- Budding artiste, Emmanuel Kalu, aka E Marshal has released a new single titled ‘One Call’. The artiste dropped the single alongside a video.According to the youngster who is signed to Destic World Entertainment; “One call is my message to you that I am here for you, take me”.Speaking recently during the unveiling of the song, Chief Dennis Okwu, Managing Director of Destic World Entertainment, a division of Sweet Apple Services Group, said that E Marshal is set to launch i
- …As underrated Debbie-Rise remains
It started with Efe being told to stay back by Ebuka Obi-Uchendu, as he was saved from eviction and then the most underrated Debbie-Rise, coming second in the votes ranking.
When the bomb was released, it hit straight into ThinTall Tony’s heart. It was a great shock. His eyes were laced with tears. His female ally, Bisola, cried out loud. Bally looked on with starry eyes.
ThinTallTony now has the outside world to contend with. He had claimed he had
- One of the housemates up for eviction this week, ThinTallTony, TTT has been evicted.
The post #BBNaija : ThinTallTony evicted appeared first on The Nation Nigeria.
- American musical legend Chuck Berry, 90, who helped define rock ‘n’ roll’s potential and attitude in its early years is dead.
According to New York Times, St. Charles County Police Department in Missouri confirmed his death on its Facebook page .
While Elvis Presley was rock’s first pop star and teenage heartthrob, Berry was its master theorist and conceptual genius, the songwriter who understood what the kids wanted before they knew themselves.
With songs like “Joh
- Nollywood actress cum politician, Funke Adesiyan, speaks with ADEWOYIN ADENIYI about her next step politically, passion for youths and new movie which is currently in the works, among other issues. Excerpts.
WHAT is happening with you currently?
A lot is happening currently. I am alive, I am real, that’s a whole lot happening and we are working on something that we hope will be out very soon. We are working on a film.
Can you tell us about the movie you are working on?
No let’s not k