Hollywood actress, Tayo Sobola, better known as Sotayo, has announced plans to hold a 5-in-1 grand event tagged ‘December to Remember’.
An all-white affair, the actress disclosed that ‘December to Remember’ is designed to celebrate her production outfit, Sotee Entertainment’s 1st Anniversary, her birthday which is coming up on December 28, an exhibition of movies she produced in the last one year, the unveiling of her film academy as well as end-of-the-year party fo
- Stakeholders in the Nigerian motion picture industry will, this weekend, converge on Umuahia, Abia State, as this year’s edition of Best of Nollywood (BON) Awards takes the city by storm.
A pan-Nigerian award scheme, organisers have through the years, promoted the initiative as a Nigeria’s preeminent indigenous platform for rewarding and celebrating the movie industry’s best and most creative.
Last year’s edition of the show took place in Akure, the Ondo State Capital, wi
- Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, has asked other arms of government to complement Federal Government’s effort by providing an enabling environment for filmmakers in the country.
Since assuming office, Mohammed has spoken loudly about the potentials in the film sector, describing it as a viable alternative source of revenue to oil and a great employer of labour.
The Minister who, as part of his routine tour of the film industry, attended the premiere of film, titled
- Nigerian rapper, Vector tha Viper is set to wow music lovers with his much anticipated third studio album entitled, Lafiaji.
Planned for release on December 20, the singer sent out posts via his social media handles saying; “Everyone Will Raise That L this December In Lagos! Africa To The World! Lagos Island To The World!! Anticipate @vectorthaviper Album Drop. #ADifferentDecember#LagosIsland #team_yb #Viper #Lafiaji -#regrann”
Vector who was, on January 31, 2014 restrained from reco
- Kaduna State-born Afro pop artiste, Eze Franklin Chekwube, aka 4real Eze has a good story to tell about the outgoing year, being the period his music career hugged the limelight.
With a couple of singles and videos that are still rocking some of the popular radio and TV stations, .
However, as audio and video of ‘Power remix’ featuring the turntable Majesty, DJ Jimmy Jatt and shinning music star, Oritse Femi, continue to enjoy ample airplay, 4real Eze&rs
- It is right to say that honcho of Star Boy Records, Wizkid, is rounding off the year on a strong note.
Wizkid who took home top laurels at all the continental music awards that held this year, has been listed among the nominees for 2017 Grammy awards, which will hold at the Staples Center, Los Angeles, United States next February.
This is a feat yet to be attained by any Nigerian hip hop artiste.
His nomination stems from his contribution to Drake’s Views album in which he was featured in
- There is something to look forward to in the coming year as production house, Mindyard204 Entertainment, has wrapped up works on a new TV series, 90 Gogoro.Produced and directed by Seun Arowojolu, 90 Gogoro is described as a first-of-its-kind, era based TV series, designed to portray life as it was in the 1990s Nigeria.The drama, according to the producers, is a family sitcom that promises to bring back nostalgic feelings.“We painstakingly shot this particular drama series to bring back th
- With the Yuletide season noted for home-coming for most people, the thrill for Akwa Ibom indigenes who will be partaking at this year’s Carol Festival, taking place at the Uyo Township Stadium on December 17 will include a new experience.Planning for a great performance is U.S.-based singer, Perfecta Ekpo, who, with her dance crew will be treating revelers to an epic performance.Promoters say the Afrobeat and dancehall artiste is making frantic efforts to etch her name in the hearts of mus
- As the government and people of Cross River State prepare for this year’s edition of the popular Calabar Carnival, there are indications of a side attraction that will involve notable stars in the Nigerian film industry.Although actors are known to have participated in the show, this will be the first time they will be taking part in the dry run, being the last before the main show, tagged Africa’s biggest street party.Some of the actors expected at the dry run include, Desmond Ellio
- With only few days to the release of Opa Williams’ new comedy film, ‘Three Wise Men’, an indication of a box office success emerged, Sunday night, when the film was premiered in Lagos to a select audience.Celebrity stars, filmmakers, sponsors and the media stormed the Air Force Event Center on Kofo Abayomi, Victoria Island, with great enthusiasm that was soon to justify their time.It was a hilarious moment all through, as lead character of the film, Richard Mofe-Damijo, brought
- T-Records, a Nigerian record label with roots in the U.S., has signed a multi-million naira management deal with fast-rising music producer, songwriter and singer Daniel Tunde Adeosun better known as D’Tac. He is the first act to join the label.Introducing the new act, label boss, Mark-Anthony Opurum, better known as Ogologo Na Tallest, said that D’Tac was selected after a contest that required upcoming artistes in Nigeria to send in songs after which 10 finalists were called in for
- Taking a lead in a Lagos party scene, Brian Munro Ltd continues to mesmerize fans with their premium vodka brand, creating more fun around the brand for the Yuletide season.At the Life in the Skyy party held at Lekki Coliseum, Lagos, the brand gave revelers more reasons to dance, mingle and unwind in an extremely fun atmosphere.‘Brian Munro is in tune with what excites our consumers and we’re delighted to provide it even before they crave it’, says Brian Munro General Manager A
- With the Xmas holiday fast approaching, the stage is set for a new family entertainment rendezvous, MandK Activity Center, which launches in Abuja this month, and situated within the popular Jabi Mall.Chief Executive Officer of the event place, Kemi Osinibi said the idea for the new entertainment center, which promises to be a fun and edutainment environment for families, was birthed in 2011.“MACL’s vision is to be the preferred provider of interactive family entertainment in Sub-Sah
- •As MultiChoice concludes audition
As preparations are in top gear for the second edition of social reality TV show, Big Brother Nigeria, organisers have revealed that there will be no broadcast of nude footage called ‘Shower Hour’, when the show returns on January 22, 2017.This comes to some fans as ‘decent’, following the controversies generated by that segment of the show, during the now rested continental edition, Big Brother Africa (BBA).MultiChoice is bringing
- V12 Music artiste, Ruffcoin, is in his best mood right now, as his much anticipated album Made In Aba finally dropped on December 1.The album, according to the artiste is a tribute to the much known productive spirit of the Aba people and Nigerians as a whole.Ruffcoin is certain that such music is what Nigerians need, going by need to patronize Nigerian products in the face of the present recession.Real name; Emelogu Muruako Fortune, Ruffcoin in his unique style plays around different genres of
- •As organisers shift film submission deadline to Dec. 9
Organisers of Lakecity Film Festival (LACIFF) have announced CJ Obasi’s ‘O’Town’ and Joe Brown’s ‘The Missing God’ as the opening and closing films of the festival respectively.Customary to film festival culture, the two films will headline the event, while about 50 other films have been selected as part of the official line-up for the festival, taking place in Oguta, Imo State, from December 1
- The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, has urged stakeholders in the culture sector to use the creativity in the industry to boost the country’s economy.
Mohammed gave the advice at the opening of the Boat regatta display as part of activities marking the ongoing Abuja National Carnival.
“While the country needs a lot of money and infrastructure to diversify other areas of the economy, we do not need so much in the creative industry to achieve that diversificat
- In partnership with Freedom Park Film Club, The directorate of the Lagos @50 Creative Task Force will be launching a new programme, Lagos under the Lens, the film component of the on-going celebration of LAGOS AT 50, tomorrow.Designed to provide opportunity for the motion picture industry to also celebrate Lagos State as hub and capital of the Nigerian film industry, the main focus of Lagos under the Lens will be a weekly screening of films on or about Lagos. The films will be sourced from archi
- For her contributions to the growth of the Nigerian movie industry, Nollywood actress and filmmaker, Judith Audu-Foght was, last weekend, presented with Award of Recognition in the ancient city of Benin by the EY Theatre Group.The members of the group made the presentation after staging a Theater Play titled A Walk in the Past at the Oba Akenzua Cultural Center l.Founder of EY Theater, Eddy Young, and his team awarded several key industry players.Making the presentation, Young described Judith A
- Like the previous years the 2016 edition of gospel concert, The Experience was a success having taken place at its usual Tafa Balewa Square, Lagos Island, last Friday.The show featured electrifying performances by leading Gospel musicians like Don Moen, Cice Winnans, Donnie McClaukin, Gabriel Ezenachi, Midnight crew, Travis Greene, Frank Edwards, Chioma Jesus, Tope Alabi and a host of others ministering with melodious voices despite cultural diffrences.The evening started with ministration by th
- Continuing with the Legends Wrestle for National Unity inter-state tour, Nollywood actress, Patience Ozokwor, last weekend arrived Lagos with the Unity TorchPresenting the torch last Friday at Terra Kulture, Lagos, Enugu State’s Commissioner for Youth and Sport, Hon. Ndukwe Charles Chuka called on all Nigerians to lend their support to the Unity Torch Tour of the Legends Wrestle for National Unity in honour of our heroes past and Living Legends.The Commissioner emphasized the importance of
- Wazobia FM On Air Personality, Isinguzo Uzor held the third edition of her charity project “Uzor goes to school” early in the week, which also coincide with also her birthday and the lucky school this year was St Martins Primary school, Mushin; a school that has been without a befitting toilet and sick bay.She renovated the school’s dilapidated eight unit toilet, converted an empty classroom to a sick bay and furnished the sick bay.Uzor who attended Ori-Ofe, primary school, Iko
- IT has been an eventful 70th birthday celebrations for Juju music maestro, King Sunny Ade, who clocked the iconic age on September 22, 2016, but the biggest of them all will be a grand concert put together by leading talent agency and event firm, Temple Management Company (TMC), scheduled to take place on December 11, at the at Federal Palace Hotel, Lagos.
This much-awaited show follows the induction of the music veteran into the Hard Rock Hall of Fame, as the first African artiste to join the l
- AS the year 2016 winds down, it seems that Nollywood actress, Omotola Jolade-Ekeinde, may have decided to take her career to a new level. On Thursday, a controversial clip surfaced of the actress in a movie titled ‘Alter Ego’ and her role in the flick has been generating a lot of buzz in the cyberspace.
In the one minute-long clip, the actress portrays a character of a woman with identity crisis. Going by the video, Omotola plays the lawyer with a successful career but has an alter e
- Makinde Azeez may appear as your regular guy, but the 27-year-old Physics and Electronic graduate of Osun State University is the founder of one of Nigeria’s biggest music download websites, naijaloaded.com. Fresh out of the university, he speaks with OVWE MEDEME on his plans to reinvent the platform, challenges he has had to deal with and a whole lot of other issues.
HOW did Naijaloaded come to be?
I actually created it seven years ago, October 1, 2009 to be precise. It was on Indep
- The poor turnout of FCT residents to the Abuja Carnival which began on Saturday has been attributed to the economic hardship in the country.
Residents who spoke with journalists, said that the carnival should not be the priority of the Federal Government, adding that measures should be taken to alleviate the sufferings of Nigerians.
This year’s carnival was devoid of the usual fun fare that used to characterise the event.In the past, the streets used to be lined up with residents of the FC
- Three Nigerian companies, MOJEC Power, Solar Nigeria, and GVE Projects Limited, Nigeria made the country proud at the third edition of the West African Power Industry Convention (WAPIC) award held at Eko Hotel and Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos.
The award ceremony recognised and celebrated industry pioneers and in eight different categories.
The executive director of MOJEC Meter Company and MOJEC Power Chantelle Abdul, won the Outstanding Woman in Power Region
- Gbemisola Saraki has it all the brains, the name, the connections, and a stunning figure that can turn heads and break hearts. What is more, the sultry daughter of the late strongman of Kwara politics, Olusola Saraki, maintains a stunning figure and inviting curves as she ages. Gbemi is as free as a bird that perches on the top of the tallest tree, unshackled and unencumbered by the demands of political office or amorous advances. She carries herself with the aura of a graceful amazon whose hear
- Nollywood actor, Ajibade Omisade’s life suffered a set back at age 7 after he lost both parents. In spite of this, spending the rest of his growing years at the SOS Children’s Village home in Lagos didn’t stop him from achieving his dreams. In 2008, he emerged the first runner-up of Amstel Malta Box Office Reality show and has never looked back since. The ‘Tinsel’ star speaks to DUPE AYINLA-OLASUNKANMI, on his projects among other issues.
HOW are you able to balance
- Former Speaker of the House of Representatives, Patricia Etteh, is over the moon. After a lifetime of dreaming, she has finally achieved one of her dearest goals. On Tuesday, she and 4, 224 lucky others were called to the Nigerian Bar at an official ceremony presided over by the acting Chief Justice of Nigeria.
Patricia Olubunmi Foluke Etteh rose to fame when she became the first woman to ever hold the mantle as Speaker of the House of Representatives between June and October 2007 when the late
- Like a grizzly bear shaking the snow off its shaggy coat after hibernating from long winter, Dahiru Manga has resurfaced in public after years of absence from the limelight. Once numbered among the few Nigerians with access to former President Umaru Yar’Adua, Manga’s social star fell from the sky with the former president’s demise and little had been seen or heard of him ever since.
In his heyday, the billionaire owner of AFDIN Group and D.B Mangal Petroleum was never far from
- RADIO girl Toke Makinwa will have to deal with this pain for ever. ‘To everyone who is as lost and in pain as I was, choose to believe that the sun will rise again,’ she writes in her new book, detailing her childhood griefs, but mainly about her woes before and during her 18-month marriage to fitness coach Maje Ayida.
Even if she tries to forget this bitter part of her life story, the book, ‘On Becoming’, will be there to remind her. Who knows, in these times when new en
- Once upon a time, popular Lagos socialite, Muhammed Gobir, was a man about town, lending colour to every event he attended. These days, however, the Kwara-born dude wraps himself in robes of anonymity like an Egyptian mummy.
The businessman and beau of pretty Bolanle Gobir is in no end of trouble at the moment as he is facing charges of alleged fraud. The suit was brought against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, which is acccusing him of defrauding an outdoor advertising comp
- There were jitters in high society a few days ago with rumours of former Chief of Army Staff, Gen. Theophilus Danjuma, being flown abroad for treatment over an undisclosed ailment.
The billionaire elder statesman was reportedly ferried out in an air ambulance to a destination some people said was Germany and others said was the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
But the latest information about the retired general is that his rumoured ailment was after all not as serious as it was initially feared.
- A rose is precious because of its colour and its captivating aroma which sends those who smell it giddy in the clasp of unutterable joy. A rose is also tender, easily blown hither and yon by malignant winds bent on uprooting and laying it low in the dust, to become partner with dark and decaying things. If former Akwa-Ibom State governor Godswill Akpabio was hitherto ignorant of this, the experiences of few weeks may have educated him.
He recently experienced the ugly side of life as her beloved
- Proposed Zahra Buhari’s wedding to billionaire heir Ahmed Indimi was meant to be like a cute little play where the two main protagonists get married and live happily ever after. But it has morphed into a series of television drama with cliff hanger episodes.
The marriage, earlier set for December 4, was said to have been postponed on the orders of President Muhammadu Buhari, who was reportedly peeved by the media attention the event was generating.
According to well-placed sources, the Pre
- AS the Nigerian motion picture industry, otherwise called Nollywood, moves towards renaissance, there are occasional look backs to the pioneers of the industry who, though held sway through the travelling theatre model, have remained relevant despite today’s digital technology.
One of these legendary filmmakers is the late Adeyemi Josiah Afolayan, popularly called Ade Love, an astute filmmaker whose style of story-telling attracted a wide range of fan base, who cherished how romance and mu
- The `Calabar Municipal Garden’ which will serve as the 2016 Calabar Carnival village, has been inaugurated by Gov. Ben Ayade of Cross River on Thursday.
Ayade said that the village was chosen because it was central and accessible to residents and tourists.
The governor said the village would serve as the venue for funfair and market for Christmas shopping.
He said that adequate security measures had been taken to safeguard tourists and fun seekers at the village.
The governor said tha
- The, African Kids and Teens Fashion Week, an event created to showcase the best of African fashion for kids and teenagers, will, for three days, hold in the city of Lagos.
Set to take place from December 9 to 11, the event opens with a fashion summit at Ibis Hotel Ikeja, Lagos.
According to the organisers, the event will also feature a fashion show proper, an exhibition for designers and companies with products that centre on kids and teenagers alongside the fashion show.
Speaking on t
- Nollywood actress, Chika Ike, who was recently in London for the African Entrepreneur Awards where she was honoured with an Excellence Award, is in the news again. The actress was reported to have attended the event dressed in a gown by Amal Azhari worth $5,000; which amounts to about ¦ 1.5million, going by current exchange rate.
It will be recalled that the Nollywood actress, who also celebrated her 31st birthday some weeks back, got herself a birthday gift of a brand new G-wagon, also w
- The last one month in the fashion industry has witnessed class, colour and innovative fashion designs showcasing indigenous fabrics.
Two weeks ago, the Lagos Fashion, organized by Merydian International, the 5th in the series, was staged at the prestigious Eko Hotel & Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos. The event was a competition that can be regarded as world class. The country leading and most popular designers gave the new kids on the block of fashion chance to showcase their talent.
- •As singer joins Hard Rock Hall of Fame
•Rotimi Akeredolu pays tribute
The Nigerian music industry stood still for Juju music maestro, Sunday Adegeye, aka King Sunny Ade who, yesterday, was inducted into the prestigious Hard Rock Hall of Fame, making him the first musician from Nigeria and Africa to be so honoured.
KSA, as he is simply called, joins the list of over 81,000 Hollywood celebrities whose souvenirs like guitars, dresses, hats, shoes, and other paraphernalia adorn the walls
- As a follow up to his song Jare, Swagga Records artiste, Minjin has released a new single in time for the end of the year. Titled Boogie, the song is produced by Chillings and is mixed and mastered by Suka sounds.
According to the artiste, Boogie is a dance track that is sure to get people hit dance floor during this festive period.
“It is expected to also be a listener’s delight on radio, and an extension to the hit jams that is offered this year. You know, we live in a country wher
- A movie production company,Virtues and Noble Touch Nigeria (VNT) has concluded plans to feature Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in its forthcoming Television Reality Show.
The Executive Producer, Mr Emmanuel Eyaba, who visited some IDPs camps in Abuja on Wednesday for auditions, said that the aim was to give them a new identity.
The audition was done in collaboration with the African Union (AU).
The talent programme tagged; “Unleash Your Creativity’’ also known as “UU
- The Federal Government has been urged to develop systems that will formalise businesses and harness potential in the creative industry to boost the nation’s economy.
This statement was made by Ojoma Ochai, The Director of Arts, British Council during an interview with the Journalists on Wednesday in Abuja.
According to her, so many businesses existed in the country but were under the informal sector including the creative arts industry.
“The issue of the informality of the
- Pay-TV provider, GOtv, has added two new channels; R2TV, a 24-hour entertainment channel broadcasting in English language and Tiwa n Tiwa, a Yoruba language music and lifestyle channel to its bouquets.Tiwa n Tiwa and R2TV are accessible to GOtv Plus and GOtv Value customers on GOtv channels 111 and channel 112 respectively. At launch, both channels will be available to GOtv subscribers in Benin, Ibadan, Lagos and Port Harcourt only.These additions, according to Managing Director, MultiChoice Nig
- An Anambra State youth association, Dynamic Minds League, has sued a recording artist, Douglas Jack Agu (alias Runtown) at the Lagos State High Court in Ikeja over an alleged breach of contract.It is claiming N14.3 million damages from the musician.The group, through its president Chizuo Anetoh, said it agreed with Runtown to perform at the popular state-wide harmattan carnival held last January 1 in Adazi-Nnukwu town.The claimant, through its lawyer Raphael Anagbado, said it contacted the music
- Budding saxophonist, TJ Emore, has released a brand new song, ‘Amen’; a song about thanksgiving and trusting in God for blessings yet to come.Produced by Mystro, ‘Amen’ is described as a mid-tempo aural delight, one that makes use of traditional drums, soothing vocals and the artiste’s signature superior saxophone melodies to drive in his message.As part of activities to mark his 15th birthday, Emore, better known as TJ Sax, visited the Oncology Ward of the Pediatri
- Pay-TV operator, StarTimes, has partnered One Championship for broadcast rights of its martial arts sports media property. The deal will see StarTimes screening the world-class MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) content to its various fans across Africa.Victor Cui, CEO of One Championship, stated that the programme continues to push the boundaries of mixed martial arts (MMA) in Asia by extending its reach to fans of the sport in Africa.“There is huge potential for growth in Africa and obviously in C
- Nollywood producer, Omoni Oboli, has hinted on featuring Sola Sobowale on her new movie, which might be coming after the premiere of her latest work, ‘Okafor’s Law’.The actress who took a picture with Sobowale during the premiere of ‘The Wedding Party’ which took place at the weekend said; “Can’t wait for our new movie together”.The Nigerian actress, scriptwriter, director and producer, who is a trained digital filmmaker at the New York Film Academ