Prince Anthony Olatujoye, lawyer and former Director of Legal Services, Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), is a commentator on national affairs. In this interview with reporters in Lagos on what should be the priorities of the incoming administration in Ondo State, Olatujoye says the new helmsman, Rotimi Akeredolu (SAN), must deliver on his campaign promises, if he wants to make a difference. Deputy Political Editor RAYMOND MORDI was there.
Some people have expressed fears that Akeredolu will have s
- Ondo State was created on February 3, 1976 by the former Military Head of State, the late Gen. Murtala Muhammed. Between then and now, the state has been governed by 11 military administrators and five elected governors. Governor Rotimi Akeredolu is the sixth elected governor of the state. Deputy Political Editor RAYMOND MORDI profiles the governors; from pioneer military governor Ita Ikpeme, to Akeredolu.Ita David Ikpeme, an airforce officer, served as the first Governor of Ondo State, Ondo Sta
- Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State and Senator Shehu Sani (Kaduna Central District) are locked in a supremacy tussle. The fight is over who controls the soul of the party, ahead of the 2019 general elections. Assistant Editor LEKE SALAUDEEN examines the issues that must be addressed for peace to prevail in the troubled All Progressives Congress (APC) chapter.
The rivalry between Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State and Senator Shehu Sani (Kaduna Central) has polarised the All Progressive
- Ondo State Commissioner for Culture, Toursim and Special Duties Femi Adekanmbi, in this interview with LEKE AKEREDOLU, explains why the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) lost last year’s governorship election. He also sheds light on why crisis broke out in Owo, two days before the governorship poll, and those responsible for the mayhem.
What are your achievements as the Commissioner for Culture, Tourism and Special duties?
I want to thank God that I have been able to offer my serv
- A monarch, the Jagunmolu of Somolu-Bariga, Oba Gbolahan Timson, has described the All Progressives Congress (APC) stalwart and former Lagos State Governor Bola Tinubu as a national asset, who has made invaluable contributions to the growth of democracy.
He prased the eminent politician for laying a solid foundation for the prosperity of Lagos State.
Oba Timson said Asiwaju Tinubu discovered Mr. Babatunde Fashola (SAN), Governor Akinwunmi Ambode and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo (SAN),
- The Independent Democrat Party (IDP) is set for its congress in Anambra State, ahead of the governorship election.
Its Chairman, Mazi Omife Omife, told reporters in Awka, the state capital, that three chieftains have indicated interest in the governorship race in the party.
He said the party will conduct a credible primary for the aspirants.
Omife assured that the contestants would be given a level playing ground to avoid a post-primary crisis.
He said the primary would be witn
- A member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the House of Representatives, Rep. Emmanuel Ukoette, representing Ukanafun/Oruk Anam Federal Constituency of Akwa Ibom on Wednesday, defected to the All Progressives Congress (APC).
In a letter to the Speaker, Yakubu Dogara, read on the floor of the House, Ukoette notified the House of his defection.
He said he was leaving the PDP because of the inability of factions within the party to reconcile their differences.
“It is clear to Nig
- Kwara Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chairman Akogun Iyiola Oyedepo has described as unfounded and malicious the claim that former governorship aspirant Mohamed Dele Belgore (SAN) and former minister Prof Abubakar Suleiman diverted the party’s 2015 campaign fund for their personal use.Speaking with reporters in Ilorin, the state capital, Oyedepo said Belgore, the Kwara coordinator for the reelection campaign of former President Goodluck Jonathan, and the minister only received the money on
- Former Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) National Deputy Chairman Chief Olabode George has said that he may not play an active role in the party, if Senator Modu Sheriff is sustained as its national chairman.He lamented the Apeal Court judgment, which affirmed the former Borno State governor as chairman, describing it as a colossal disaster. However, he ruled out defection from the PDP, saying: “I will not jump to the All Progressives Congress (APC).”George told reporters in Lagos that
- A chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ondo State, Alhaji Kazeem Falodun, in this interview with reporters in Lagos, speaks on the challenges that will confront the Rotimi Akeredolu administration. Excerpts:
What do you think the incoming administration in Ondo State will do differently, compared to the outgoing one?Yes, I know many things that would have been done differently if Arakunrin Akeredolu had been in charge years back. Now that he is in, a lot will be done differently.
- The forum of former PDP Ministers, has declared that the Ahmed Makarfi-led caretaker committee is still the organ of the party legally charged to handle the affairs of the party.
Mr Saminu Turaki (SAN) ex-minister of Special Duties, made the announcement on Tuesday in Abuja while speaking with newsmen after members of the forum met with former President Goodluck Jonathan on the crisis rocking the party.
Responding to question posed to him by newsmen, Turaki said: “I am aware that an appeal
- The President Donald Trump led-administration is planning to roll out a revised executive order on immigration that the President says will “protect our people” while at the same time pass muster with courts that halted an earlier version.
The President intends to make this known as early as this week.
According to the CNN Politics, the new order will clarify a point that caused confusion the first time around: The executive order will not impact green card holders.
- • Aspirant says APGA is fraud
All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship aspirant in Anambra State Chief Bart Nwibe has unfolded his plan for the state, promising to make it an oil and gas state.He highlighted the urgent challenges confronting the state, including lack of industries, lack of investment, youth unemployment and bad leadership, assuring that the state will bounce back under an APC administration.Nwibe told reporters in Lagos that charlatans were scheming to hijack the party,
- Despite political differences, the relationship between Governor Willie Obiano of Anambra State and his Imo State counterpart, Rochas Okorocha, used to be cordial. Not anymore. Observers believe there is more to the recent face-off between them than meets the eye. Deputy Political Editor RAYMOND MORDI looks at the development and the growing political prostitution in the Southeast, ahead of elections.
IT is more easily understandable, within the context of Nigerian politics, when governors quarr
- No fewer than 15 chieftains of the All Progressives Congress (APC) are warming up for the governorship primary in Anambra State. EMMANUEL OLADESU writes on the battle for the ticket.
Politics is in the air in Anambra State. Ahead of the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship primary, aspirants are intensifying their consultations with stakeholders in their bid to secure the ticket.Governor Willie Obiano of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) is serving his first tenure.But, there ar
- The Ekiti State All Progressives Congress (APC) Elders’ Forum has appealed to the governorship aspirants to conduct themselves within the ambit of the party’s constitution by shunning desperation and uncouth statements.The elders said they will not support any aspirant who will win election and abandon them as witnessed in the past.The Chairman of the Forum, Chief George Akosile, spoke in Igbara Odo Ekiti, Ekiti South West Local Government Area, while playing host to a former member
- Bayelsa State Governor Seriake Dickson’s media aide Daniel Iworiso-Markson highlights the achievements of his boss in the last five years and his action plan for the remaining part of his second term in office.
In Bayelsa State, February 14 is celebrated as the ‘Restoration Day.’ Since February 14, 2012, it as been celebrated as the begining of a new dawn when Hon. Henry Seriake Dickson was sworn-in alongside his deputy, Rear Admiral Gboribiogha John Jonah (rtd), as governor an
- The Delta state chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) hascondemned the celebration of the return of former governor of the state, Chief James Ibori, from the United Kingdom after serving a jail term.
The party, in a statement made available to the Nation in Warri on Sundayby its acting Publicity Secretary, Leonard Obibi, also dissociated itselffrom the party-like reception accorded the former governor, saying it wasnot affiliated with in any way.
The APC said it was repulsed by the huge
- There is fear in Akwa Ibom State All Progressives Congress (APC) that the face-off between former governorship candidate of the party, Obong Umana Okon Umana, and former Minister of State for the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Senator John James Akpan Udo-Edehe, may worsen the fortunes of the party in the state ahead 2019 elections, reports Associate Editor, Sam Egburonu
MEMBERS of All Progressives Congress (APC) in Akwa Ibom State and their supporters are expressing concern over the lingering
- THE challenges facing the health sector in the country and the way forward were the focus of the Senate on Wednesday. Chairman, Senate Committee on Health, Senator Lanre Tejuosho, reviewed the sector to highlight why it should be urgently rescued.
The Ogun Central lawmaker painted some depressing pictures about the country’s health sector. To say that the statistics of the rot in the system provided are worrisome may be an understatement.
How best to deal with the issues of access and qual
- Leaders of Ogun State Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) are worried over the continuous defection of close associates influential party leaders to the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), reports Assistant Editor, Dare Odufowokan
SIGNS of panic and disappointment are visible within the circles of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Ogun State, as chieftains and members of the troubled party continue to defect in droves into the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), just as the two
- CONTRARY to general public perception of the ambience of the National Assembly (NASS), workers and visitors to the expansive complex and especially the House of Representatives wing have not been having it all rosy for quite a while. While the workers and the legislators may have resigned themselves to the limits of the environment, visitors were often left hugely disappointed over the state of the facilities in the complex. While it will be incorrect to say that all the facilities are in a stat
- Sunday Oguntola reports on what has become of the class of 1999 governors several years after they left office
THEY had the honour of being the first elected governors in the fourth republic. From 1999-2003, they held the sway in their respective states. Some of them were reelected for a second term, which terminated in 2007.
Some of them lost reelection bid and moved on to other things in life. Some of them stayed put and relaunched their political careers. A few have remained politically relev
- A Chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Mr Victor Akande, on Saturday said that any further litigation would ruin the chances of the party in 2019 General Elections as many followers would have left.
Akande, representing Ojo Constituency I at the Lagos State House of Assembly made the plea in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos, following an Appeal Court verdict in favour of Sen. Ali Modu Sheriff.
He appealed to the Alhaji Ahmed Makarfi-led faction of the
- Edo State Deputy Governor Philip Shaibu has said he earned the nickname, ‘Mr Constituency Projects,’ because of projects he executed in his constituency when he was a member of the House of Assembly.
Shaibu, who represented Estako West Constituency II between 2007 and 2015, urged the people to elect good representatives.
He said the secret behind the electoral victories of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Edo was due to its developmental projects.
Shaibu disclosed that N36m con
- Sokoto State Governor Aminu Tambuwal spoke with reporters in Sokoto, the state capital, on the economic recession and challenges of governance in the Northwest state. ADAMU SULEIMON was there.
The last administration promised to improve the welfare of religious and traditional rulers in the state. Why haven’t you done much in that regard?
First of all, this government respects traditional institutions and since we came on board, we have accorded them the respect they deserve. They play imp
- The Chairman of the Environment Committee of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Hon. Saka Fafunmi, spoke with OZIEGBE OKOEKI on why the House is considering an executive bill seeking to merge eight laws on the environment and what the state will benefit from the amendment.
Why are you merging the eight environmental laws in Lagos State?
The intendement of the state for choosing to have a compendium of all the laws stems from the fact that there is need for the state to embrace the challenges tha
- The pan-Yoruba socio-political group, Afenifere, has derailed from the philosophy and the ideals of its founding fathers, with most of its members now fraternising with strange bedfellows. Assistant Editor LEKE SALAUDEEN, who has been following this development, reports.
The socio-cultural and political group was formed by the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo as a rallying point for the Yoruba people, Afenifere, appears to have deviated from the ideals of its founding fathers. In its heyday
- Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai spoke with reporters in Lagos on his style of governance, the rift between him and Senator Shehu Sani, the violence in Southern Kaduna and how to end the crisis. EMMANUEL OLADESU was there.
Could you shed light on the protracted Southern Kaduna crisis?The crisis would start with a dispute between two people; as long as those two people are from different ethnic groups, different religious persuasions, they don’t get resolved by community leaders or law
- Hon. Jide Jimoh represents Lagos Mainland Constituency in the House of Representatives on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC). He spoke with EMMANUEL OLADESU on partisan issues.
What is your mission in the National Assembly?Well, my mission in the National Assembly is majorly service to the people through my contribution into making laws that will benefit the generality of the citizenry. And luckily for me, it has been good and interesting. We thank God for that.First timers are
- Jackson Lekan Ojo, a security expert and member of the American Society of Industrial Experts (ASIS), is the National Coordinator of the Yoruba Youth Alliance (YYA). The chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Osun State, in this interview with GBENGA OMOKHUNU speaks on how government can further win the war against the Boko Haram sect, the health of President Muhammadu Buhari and other national issues.
What is your view on President Muhammadu Buhari’s health status ?Pres
- The Niger state House of Assembly has suspended the Chairman of Katcha Local Government Area, Alhaji Mohammed Dogo, for allegedly embezzling over N23.7 million meant for teachers, cooperative deduction and staff salaries.The allegations against Dogo include abuse of office, fraud and mismanagement of public fund.The suspension was based on the findings of a panel on financial misappropriation by the House Committee on Local government during its oversight functions to local government councils.T
- Prominent Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftains have defected to the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), ahead of the local government elections. Group Political Editor EMMANUEL OLADESU writes on the politics of defection and implications for the future of the opposition party.It was not a rented crowd. As from 7 am, the secretariat of the Lagos State All Progressives Congress (APC) on Acme Road, Ikeja, was aglow with festivities. The singing train of party women and youths were dancing
- The National Chairman of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), Dr. Victor Ike Oye, has said that the All Progressive Congress (APC) will not be a threat to the governorship election billed for November in Anambra State.He said in Amawbia, Awka South local government area, that those criticising APGA were doing it because of envy.Oye said those joining the APC in Anambra can not win elections, adding that those who win elections were the masses, who according to him, were with APGA.The poli
- The Supreme Court has dismissed the appeal filed by Mrs. Uche Ekwunife challenging the refusal of the Court of Appeal to set aside its earlier judgement of December 7, 2015, which sacked her as the senator representing Anambra Central District and ordered a rerun poll, thereby disqualifying her and the PDP from the exercise.Ekwunife had approached the apex court asking it to upturn the decision of the Appellate Court to stand by the ruling that sent her packing from the Senate, which was given c
- A member of the Lagos state House of Assembly representing Shomolu Constituency 2, Hon. Rotimi Abiru has appealed to Nigerians to be patient with the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari in efforts to take the country out of economic recession.
The Lawmaker, who spoke with reporters in Lagos was reacting to protests organised in Lagos and Abuja.
Abiru said: “There’s need for our youths to be patient with this present administration”.
“The sixteen years of mismanag
- Former Delta State Governor, James Ibori has returned home after a 13-year jail term in the United Kingdom. His return has already set in motion a chain of events. Assistant Editor LEKE SALAUDEEN examines the implication of his return for the Delta State politics.
The return of former Governor James Ibori of Delta State to the warm embrace of his kinsmen has shown that he is still loved by his people. Ibori returned to Nigeria penultimate Saturday, after serving a 13-year jail term in the United
- Lagos State All Progressives Congress (APC) chieftain Chief Lanre Razak, in this interview with MUSA ODOSHIMOKHE, explains why the party has not met some of its campaign promises to Nigerians. He also speaks on the Igbo’s quest for power shift in 2019 and other issues.The APC has not met the expectations of Nigerians, why?
I want to thank Nigerians for voting the APC, with much expectation at the back of their minds. But, if you have a bad scenario and you are unable to witness a worst sit
- The nine million naira poster fee imposed on governorship aspirants by the Anambra State government is generating ripples.
The All Progressive Congress (APC), the Progressive People’s Alliance (PPA) and The African Democratic Congress (ADC), said they will challenge the draconian guidline in court.
The Anambra Managing Director, Anambra State Signage and Advertisement Agency (ANSAA) and Chief campaigner of APGA, Sir, Jude Emecheta, had declared that anybody aspiring for governorship must p
- Former Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Emeka Ihedioha, in this interview with journalists in Abuja, spoke about the near mass movement of the south easterners to the All Progressives Congress (APC) and explored PDP crisis, offering the way forward. He also projected into 2019 general elections. Assistant Editor, Onyedi Ojiabor, was at the briefing and reports
THE APC is already celebrating that they are getting a foothold in the South-East that used to be a PDP stronghold, especi
- RECENTLY, members of the Senate Committee on State and Local Government Administration led by its Chairman, Senator Abdullahi Gumel, were in Enugu State on an oversight function on the utilization of bailout funds released to states by the federal government.
The senate committee, after scrutinizing the Enugu State’s record on the above subject matter, rated Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi as the best governor in the utilization of the federal government’s bailout funds in the country.
- The return of former Governor James Ibori has initiated fresh re-alignments in Delta State’s political scene, reports Associate Editor, Sam Egburonu
WHEN it was first confirmed last year that former Governor James Onanefe Ibori of Delta State would be released from the London prison in December, members of his political family in the state were amongst the most excited Nigerians over the development. Their enthusiasm peaked when they learnt that their political leader would return home ear
- Governor Rochas Okorocha’s declaration of Senator Ken Nnamani, a former Senate President, as South-East Leader of All Progressives Congress (APC), after a controversial zonal party meeting in Imo State, is threatening to polarise the party in the zone, reports Assistant Editor, Dare Odufowokan
A proclamation by Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo State, announcing Senator Ken Nnamani, a former Senate President, as the leader of All Progressives Congress (APC) in the South-East geo-politi
- The leadership of the People’s Democratic Party and several other political parties have agreed to constitute a broad based political opposition, known as United Forum of Democrats.
The group disclosed this in a resolution signed by Prof. Jerry Gana on Thursday in Abuja after its Wednesday’s meeting.
According to the resolution the forum is made up of the leadership of PDP, People’s Redemption Party (PRP), Social Democratic Party (SDP), Alliance for Democracy (AD), Accord Party
- Bayelsa State Commissioner for Information and Strategy Jonathan Obuebite spoke with EMMANUEL OLADESU in Lagos on the first year anniversary of Governor Seriake Dickson’s second term, the security agenda of the state, the management of government/labour relations and how the state is coping with the economic recession.
It is a year into Governor Seriake Dickson’s second term. How far has it been?
One year, how far? Ordinarily, because of the recession that we are into, governme
- Former Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Anambra State and member representing Anambra East and West Constituency in the House of Representatives on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Hon. Tony Nwoye, has said the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) won elections in Anambra State through deceit.
He said the party used the name of the late Igbo icon, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, during elections.
Nwoye spoke in Nsugbe, Anambra East local government area, a
- Katsina State Governor Aminu Bello Masari spoke with reporters in Katsina, the state capital, on his administration’s achievements in the education, agriculture and health sectors. The governor also spoke on his predecessor, Ibrahim Shema, who is being investigated by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over allegations of corruption. KOLADE ADEYEMI was there.
How are you tacking the challenges of governance Katsina State?
I think education is one of the corners
- Group Political Editor EMMANUEL OLADESU highlights the obstacles against the Igbo’s quest for power shift in 2019.
Ahead of the 2019 presidential election, some Igbo are agitating for power shift. The tonic was provided by former President Olusegun Obasanjo, who has urged them to try their luck. But, Obasanjo’s motivational speech was defective. The former leader gave his backing to power shift to Igbo, not the Southeast, thereby creating the impression that the formula for president
- Constitutional lawyer and professor of law Ben Nwabueze (SAN) highlights the violations and abuses of due process of law in the tussle for the governorship of Abia State.
On June 27, 2016 Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court (FHC), Abuja Division, removed Governor Okezie Ikpeazu from office as Governor of Abia State, after his election has been affirmed by the Supreme Court. He accompanied the removal with an order specifically directing the Independent National Electoral Commission (INE
- THERE is need for women to get more slots in government, a stalwart of the All Progressives Party (APC) in Lagos, Chief Emmanuel Remi-Williams, has said.In an interview, the octogenarian said since independence women, have not be given their dues in the political arena. He said though some were elected into the National Assembly, and others appointed as either ministers or ambassadors, the number is small compared to their population and the significant roles that they have played in the country