“All trees grow in the forest but the oha tree singles itself out”- Igbo proverb.
Each year, on every March 29th, I normally write a piece to celebrate my Leader, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu whose birthday falls on that day. Asiwaju has become a huge institution and a working history of sorts. It would have been different for me to do this yearly ritual for any other person because one would be bereft of words to do this. But not for the great Asiwaju whose greatness and ceasele
- All Progressives Congress (APC) stalwart Asiwaju Bola Tinubu is 65 today. Group Political Editor EMMANUEL OLADESU revisits the epic struggle for power shift coordinated by the former governor of Lagos State, which culminated into the enthronement of a progressive administration at the centre.Lagos will be aglow with festivities today. Guests will come from far and near to honour Asiwaju Ahmed Bola Tinubu, former governor of Lagos State and stalwart of the All Progressives Congress (APC), who is
- In this piece, Prince Kunle Oyewunmi, a lawyer, reflects on the giant strides of the All Progressives Congress (APC) stalwart, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, in the transformation of Lagos State.
During the historic regime of Asiwaju as Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu is fondly referred to, as the Governor of Lagos State, many people who were familiar with the managerial acumen and political sagacity of the renowned guru of inestimable value were not surprised with the relentless efforts and visionary leadershi
- The Rivers State All Progressives Congress (APC) Councillors Forum of the 8th Legislative Assembly has stated that none of its members has defected to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and not planning to do so, describing the claim as mere propaganda to cause confusion.
The councillors, who were elected in 2015, during the Rotimi Amaechi’s administration, declared that they were intact and still pursuing their suit at the Court of Appeal, Port Harcourt against the Rivers government and w
- A group of senators pushing for the release of detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra,(IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu and former National Security Adviser Sambo Dasuki may have concluded arrangements to invoke relevant Senate rules to compel the Attorney General of the Federation, Mallam Abubakar Malami to effect immediate release of the duo.
Leader of the concerned senators, Chief Mao Ohuabunwa, has already drawn the attention of the Senate to the continued detention Kanu and D
- Okey Ezea, a lawyer, was the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship candidate in Enugu State during the 2015 elections. He spoke with EMMANUEL OLADESU on the gale of defections from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the Southeast, the challenges facing the APC in the region, the Buhari administration and other partisan issues.What is the situation of the All Progressives Congress in Enugu State?
The APC is doing pretty well in Enugu State. We are consolidating on our membership drive a
- The South East Youth leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Sir Paul Chukwuma, has joined the governorship race in Anambra State.
Chukwuka’s declaration for the plum job brought the number of governorship hopefuls in the APC to 10.
Members of the Anambra Traders Stakeholders Forum have endorsed him for the position. The decision, according to the traders, was taken after a critical studying of the contestants for the election.
The leader of the group, Chief Clement Ilo, said: &ldqu
- Group Political Editor EMMANUEL OLADESU highlights the ideas and struggles of the All Progressives Congress (APC) stalwart, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, as he celebrates his 65th birthday in Lagos this week.Courage, determination, resilience, devotion to principles and commitment to the high ideals of democracy are the virtues that have defined and shaped the character of Senator Bola Tinubu in almost thirty years of his sojourn in politics.
In post-Bola Ige era, no other politician has bestrode the pol
- The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has described the petition of the Civil Societies Coalition for the Emancipation of Osun State against Governor Rauf Aregbesola as baseless and unsubstantiated.
The ICPC, in a letter with reference number ICPC/INV/NGB/T.E2/003, addressed to the petitioner, Chairman, Civil Society Coalition for the Emancipation of Osun State, with a copy sent to the Osun Secretary to the State Government, stated that it’s in
- As the All Progressives Congress (APC) stalwart, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, celebrates his 65th birthday this week, Group Political Editor EMMANUEL OLADESU revisits his legendary welfarist legacy as governor of Lagos State between 1999 and 2007, which his successors have continued to build on in the Centre of Excellence.
He had a vision for the city state. Thus, he planned well and laid a solid foundation for its future. He assumed the reins at a very challenging period. Therefore, he resolved to make
- The people of Iyin-Ekiti, Ekiti State, are still mourning the death of their illustrious son, the late Major-General Adeyinka Adebayo, former Military Governor of the defunct Western State, who died on March 8. The monarch, Oba John Ajakaye and his chiefs have been pouring encomiums on the deceased, saying his contributions to the development of the community will be indelible in their memory. ODUNAYO OGUNMOLA reports.
THE late Major-General Adeyinka Adebayo, the former Military Governor of the
- With about four factions, Lagos State chapter has emerged the most factionalized state chapter of the People’s Democratic Party, reports Assistant Editor, Dare Odufowokan
The leadership crisis that has bedeviled the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) following its nationwide defeat at the hand of the then new All Progressives Congress (APC) in 2015, has also affected the state chapters of the troubled party, leading to situations where the PDP is severally fictionalized in most of t
- Betty Apiafi is the Chairperson of the House of Representatives Committee on Health Institutions. The lawmaker, who represents Ahoada East/Abua/Odual Federal Constituency in Rivers State, speaks with Victor Oluwasegun on a new bill to regulate medical residency and other issues. Excerpts
As the chairperson on the Commit-tee on Health Institu-tions, what is your opinion on the 2017 Health budget; what are flaws and the strong points?
That is a very difficult question to answer because the budget
- Senator Mohammed Ali Ndume means so many things to so many people within and outside the National Assembly.
He was elected to the senate for Borno South in April 2011 and later cross-carpeted to the All Progressives Congress (APC) at the formation of the party. He was re-elected to the senate in style in the 2015 election.
When Ndume was announced Senate Leader in 2015, the announcement was greeted with fanfare.
‘Like Minds Senators’ saw the triumph of Ndume as another victory for th
- Following Ahmed Makarfi and Ali Modu Sheriff’s sudden resolve during the week to cooperate with the Governor Seriake Dickson’s Reconciliation Committee’s efforts, there is renewed hope that the prolonged leadership crisis in the Peoples Democratic Party may be resolved amicably. But Associate Editor, Sam Egburonu and Assistant Editor, Dare Odufowokan report that there are still many bumps on Dickson’s route. How far can he go to save PDP?
Most observers and top stakeholde
- Gov. Oluwarotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State on Saturday hailed the victory of former Deputy Governor of the state, Alhaji Ali Olanusi, at the Court of Appeal in Akure, saying it was great for democracy.
The commendation is in a statement in Akure by the Chief Press Secretary (CPS) to the Governor, Mr Segun Ajiboye.
Ajiboye quoted the governor as saying “the 79-page judgment delivered by Justice Muhammed Danjuma was well deserved, a triumph for democracy and light over darkness.’’
- A member of the House of Representatives, Mr Johnson Agbonayinma (Edo-PDP), said the crisis rocking the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) could be resolved if members dropped sentiments.
Agbonayinma said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday in Abuja.
He said that was no problem without solution and the ability to look beyond issues without being passionate would go a long way in bringing peace back to the party.
“So, I align with Gov. Seriake Dickson’s re
- Sen. Ahmed Makarfi, the Chairman of the National Caretaker Committee of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), has said that there is no vacancy at the party’s National Secretariat, Abuja.
Makari stated this in a statement by the committee’s Publicity Secretary, Mr Dayo Adeyeye, on Thursday in Abuja.
He said that the attention of the caretaker committee had been drawn to some newspaper publication “Vacancies in the PDP National Secretariat’’.
He said that the report was cr
- A life, fire safety and security risk management organisation, NFPAWA has partnered the Lagos State Safety Commission (LSSC), Commercial Risk Africa (CRA), Association of Enterprise Risk Management Professionals (AERMP) Nigeria and the Lagos Chamber of Commerce & Industry (LCCI) to organize its second annual life and fire conference in Lagos.
Other partners are Risk Managers Association of Nigeria (RIMAN), The Guardian Newspaper, Cross, Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty (AGCS) and man
- The lingering crisis in the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) has overstretched the stakeholders. The burden of finding solutions lies with the National Reconciliation Committee headed by Bayelsa State Governor Henry Seriake Dickson. In this interview with reporters in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Dickson speaks on the new template designed by his committee. YUSUF ALLI reports the encounter with the arbiter.
How far have you gone in finding solutions to the crisis in the PDP?
- The National Caretaker Committee Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Senator Ahmed Makarfi, in this interview with reporters in Kaduna, the Kaduna State capital, speaks on why the committee rejected the report of the Reconciliation Committee headed by Bayelsa State Governor Seriake Dickson. ABDULGAFAR ALABELEWE was there.
Why did the PDP National Caretaker Committee headed by you reject the report of the Reconciliation Committee headed by Bayelsa State Governor Seriake Dickson?
- National Caretaker Committee of the Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP) said National Chairman, Sen. Ali Modu Sheriff, has no good intentions for the party.
Publicity Secretary of the committee, Mr Dayo Adeyeye, stated this in a news conference on Tuesday in Abuja.
Speaking at the backdrop of a statement credited to Sheriff on his 2019 presidential ambition, Adeyeye said that all efforts of the national chairman were geared towards his hidden ambition.
He said that Sheriff was holding PDP to r
- Public affairs analyst Victor Izekor writes on the contributions of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu to the cause of power shift in Borno State
There are some occasions in one’s life” French philosopher once posited, “which neither time nor circumstanced can change nor obliterate from one’s memory”. The liberation of Borno state and All Progressives Congress (APC) from the hatchet of a “tyrant” by Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, constitutes one of such occasions. This was
- For several reasons, the release of the time-table for the 2019 general elections by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has been greeted with mixed feelings. Assistant Editor LEKE SALAUDEEN examines some of the challenges that must be addressed, if the commission must conduct hitch-free elections.
THE release of the time-table for the 2019 general elections by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), two years ahead of the exercise, caught many Nigerians unawares.
- Oyo State Governor Abiola Ajimobi’s media aide Akin Oyedele highlighs the steps taken by the governor to woo investors, cut costs and promote good governance in the Pacesetter state.
That the country’s economy is currently experiencing a downturn, a situation largely precipitated by a reversal of oil fortunes, is no longer news. No thanks to decades of overreliance on a monolithic economy and the utter relegation of agriculture, once the country’s cash cow. Since thi
- The National Secretariat of the Allied Congress Party of Nigeria (ACPN)has appointed caretaker committee members to run the affairs of the party in Ondo State.Its former Chairman,Bosun Omosule,was suspended over allegations of corruption and anti party activities during the last governorship election.Also suspended with him were the Secretary, Oluwaseye Akintoye, and the Public Relations Officer(PRO), Alade Adeniyi.At a meeting in Akure,the Ondo state capital, which was attended by members of th
- THE All Progressives Congress (APC) has described the crisis rocking the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) as embarrassing, adding that the bickering was not in the interest of democracy.The party also said that the recent release of the 2019 general elections timetable by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) was a good innovation.The party said that it is in full support of the electoral umpire’s action.APC National Publicity Secretary Bolaji Abdullahi spoke in Ilorin, the Kw
- The Deputy Whip of the Senate and the senator representing Edo North, Francis Alimikhena, has described the late General Samuel Ogbemudia as a role model and strong political pillar. He said the governor of the defunct Bendel State was a courageous leader.Alimikhena said: “As a nation and as a state, we have lost a resourceful human resource, because no one did more over many years as Dr. Ogbemudia, both as a minister and as a governor, in building the existing infrastructure that form the
- Bayelsa State Governor Seriake Dickson spoke with reporters in Yenagoa, the state capital, on the challenges confronting his administration and efforts being made to tackle them. Excerpts:
What are the challenges facing Bayelsa State?The challenges are very obvious. The challenges of funding are clear as we are living in trying times and our country is officially in a recession. That immediately affects our capacity as a government to complete our programmes on schedule and that can sometimes be
- Former Ekiti State Deputy Governor Sikiru Lawal has said that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) will win next year’s governorship election.Dr. Lawal, who is a governorship aspirant said the PDP is on ground in all 2,195 polling units, 177 wards, 16 local government areas, six federal constituencies and three senatorial districts.He said the All Progressives Congress (APC) only existed on the pages of newspapers and lacks grassroots appeal, adding that, if the election be conducted today,
- Former Minister of Information Prof Jerry Gana has said over 15 political parties have indicated interest to join forces with the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for the 2019 general elections.He said these parties were not satisfied with the way the present government is leading the nation and have decided that PDP is the best party.Gana stated this while presenting the report of the strategy, intra and Inter Party committee of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to former Military President Gene
- The National Chairman of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Senator Ali Modu Sheriff has said he would soon set up a committee to work out modalities for the party’s national convention.
Sheriff made this known while briefing newsmen on Monday in Abuja on the recommendations of the party’s Reconciliation Committee, chaired by Gov. Seriake Dickson of Bayelsa.
He said that the National Working Committee (NWC) of the party was already consulting with members and leaders of the party as par
- Senator Ali Modu Sheriff, the National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), has advised Mr Dayo Adeyeye, the Publicity Secretary of the party’s illegal National Caretaker Committee, to stop parading himself as spokesman of the PDP .
In a statement released by acting Publicity Secretary, Mr Benard Mikko, on Sunday in Abuja, Sheriff said Adeyeye could not speak for the PDP or use its logo and franchise without the authority and permission of the national leadership of the party.
- Correspondent SOJI ADENIYI examines the preparations for next year’s governorship election in Osun State, the issues that will shape the exercise, the contenders and their strengths and weaknesses
Politicians in Osun State are warming up for next year’s governorship election. No fewer than 17 aspirants want to succeed Governor Rauf Aregbesola, who will complete his two term in office in 2018. While some of them are making underground moves, others are building their structures across
- Chineyen Ezumoha is a management expert and founder of the Imo Network Group, (ING), which is agitating for power shift in Imo State. In this interview with reporters in Lagos, he highlights reasons why the state deserves a better leadership in 2019. Excerpts:
What do you think the 2019 elections protend for Nigeria?It offers them the opportunity to take their destiny into their own hands and effect changes in the leadership at different levels in different parts of the country. It is time for u
- Gov. Seriake Dickson, the Chairman of the PDP Reconciliation Committee, has called on the Sen. Ahmed Makarfi-led Caretaker Committee to step down in the interest of the party.
The Bayelsa governor made the call while speaking with newsmen on Sunday in Abuja.
Dickson said the stage was now set for all the chieftains and elders of the party to impress it on the caretaker committee to cede its authority to the Modu Sheriff-led leadership.
“When the idea of making Sheriff the National Chairman
- A former governor of Enugu State, Mr Sullivan Chime, says he is not aware of any case with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) as insinuated in some quarters.
Speaking with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Enugu, Chime however, agreed that he was invited once by the commission in respect of party funds spent during the 2015 general elections.
Chime was a two-term governor of Enugu State on the platform of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) between 2007 and 2015.
The former governo
- As the face-off between the Senate and the Comptroller-General of Nigerian Customs and Excise Service peaked at the senate, Assistant Editor, Onyedi Ojiabor, traces the origin of the face-off and reports on the politics and drama
The build-up started with the Senate Committee on Customs and Excise scolding the Comptroller-General of Nigerian Customs Service, Colonel Hameed Ali (rtd.), for refusing to wear service uniform.
In the estimation of the upper chamber, the recalcitrance of Ali in choosi
- The battle for Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu’s seat is not yet over as All Progressives Congress (APC) senators begin fresh moves to persuade him to defect to the party or face impeachment, reports Assistant Editor, Dare Odufowokan
Nearly two years after his controversial emergence as the Deputy President of the Nigerian Senate, strong indications emerged during the week that the controversies surrounding the continued stay in office of Senator Ike Ekweremadu of the opposition Peo
- Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) leaders in Akwa-Ibom State are making new moves to save party from continuous defection of its members to All Progressive Congress (APC), reports Associate Editor, Sam Egburonu
For the first time in over 16 years, Akwa Ibom State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) is facing what some observers described as ‘its biggest threat ever,’ following the continuous defection of its members to the All Progressive Congress (APC). Concerned members, who
- Despite Senate’s insistent rejection of the nomination of Ibrahim Magu as the substantive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) last week, the House of Representatives is seeking to make the agency financially and operationally independent of the executive and legislative arms of government.
The bill seeking to further empower the anti-graft scaled second reading with unanimous support despite a few dissenting voices to a proposal for a special court devoted
- Nwabueze Onwuneme is the Director-General, Buhari South-East Youth Movement (BUSEYM). In this interview, he speaks on variety of national issues and how his organisation has been championing and promoting the programmes and activities of President Muhammadu Buhari in the zone. Excerpts
Shortly before his return, your group, the Buhari South-East Youth Movement, held a prayer session for the quick recovery and return of President Muhammadu Buhari. Did you have privileged information on his return
- Former President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday visited Government House, Port Harcourt.
The Former President was received by Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike.
Also present during the visit were the Chief of Staff to Governor Wike, Engr Emeka Woke; the Secretary to the Rivers State Government, Hon Kenneth Kobani and the Edo State PDP Chairman, Chief Dan Orbih.
Jonathan and Governor Wike had a closed door meeting at the Government House, Port Harcourt before the former President left
- Sen. Shehu Sani (Kaduna-APC) has urged the party to penalise Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State for allegedly leaking to reporters a memo he wrote to President Muhammadu Buhari.
Sani, who is the Vice-Chairman, Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, called for the punitive measures in a statement he released in Abuja on Saturday in reaction to the alleged leakage.
It will be recalled that media reports had alleged that El-Rufai told Buhari in a memo, that he was losing the vision and the momentum
- A former Governor of Enugu State, Mr Sullivan Chime, has confirmed that he has left the PDP.
Speaking in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday in Enugu, Chime said that his decision to quit the PDP was because the party was “no longer in existence in the true sense of it’’.
Chime said, however, that he had yet to join another political party, contrary to speculations that he had defected to the APC.
He said that he was still making consultations to determ
- National Democratic Coalition (NADECO), has described the late General Adeyinka Adebayo as a gifted peace maker. Memebers of the coalition have paid a condolence visit to the deceased family in Lagos. The delegation was led by Rear Admiral Ndubuisi Kanu (rtd).
National Secretary of NADECO, Chief Ayo Opadokun, who spoke on behalf of the group, said the former military governor led a unique life, worthy of emulation.
He added that as the first Chief of Army Staff, ensured the military carried out
- All Progressives Congress (APC) members in Lagos State hace urged the party leadership to conduct free and fair primaries for chairmanship and councillorship aspirants to avoid defeat at the local government polls.
They urged the party chairman, Otunba Oladesle Ajomale, to provide a level playing ground for aspirants during the shadow polls.
Aggrieved party members from Ojodu Council chapter complained to reporters in Lagos certain leaders were planning to impose their cronies as chairmanship an
- Former Delta State Governor James Ibori has endorsed Governor Ifeanyi Okowa for a second term. He said his re-election in 2019 will enable him to complete the eight-year tenure of Delta North senatorial district in the spirit of the zoning within the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). Ibori said one good turn deserves another.
Ibori spoke at a rally organised to welcome him back to the country, after his release from jail in the United Kingdom where he was indicted for money laundering.
- The Inter-Party Advisory Council of Nigeria, (IPAC) has commended President Muhammdu Buhari for handing over power to Vice President, Yemi Osibanjo (SAN), to act on his behalf when he was on medical vacation abroad.
The decision, IPAC said, saved the nation from avoidable constitutional crisis, unlike in the past.
National Chairman of IPAC, Hon. Muhammad Nalado, gave the commendation at a meeting with political leader, in Abuja.
Nalado urged Nigerians to continue to pray for the speedy recovery
- A Chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and member of the House of Representatives, Ladi Adebutu-Kessington, has said that members of the party loyal to the Ahmed Makarfi-led Caretaker Committee may form a new party, if the National Chairman, Ali Modu Sheriff, wins at the Supreme Court.
Adebutu-Kessington, who spoke with reporters in Ado Ekiti, the Ekiti State capital, after a factional Southwest caucus meeting, said the anti-Sheriff elements in the PDP would wait for the determin