The people of Niger North Senatorial District have highlighted the conditions for re-election to their elected leaders , urging them to be more proactive in addressing issues affecting the zone.
Expressing disappointment over their attitude, they said visible projects and adequate representation will be used as yardsticks for the re-election.
The stakeholders made the resolution at the recent Legislative Outreach and Citizens Engagement for Niger North Senatorial District organised by the Commun
- The governorship candidate of the llied Congress of Nigeria (ACPN) in last year’s governorship election in Ondo State, Chief Adetunwo Ogunjumelo, has justified the expulsion of the party chairman, Bosun Omosule.
Ogunjumelo said the allegations against Omosule, particularly on anti-party behaviours and mismanagement of party funds, led to his expulsion from the party.
He said: “Leaders and party supporters across the state resolved to expel the chairmanhim based on his alleged a
- An Igbo group, the Izu-Umunna Cultural Association (IUCA), has congratulated the new President of the Ohaneze Ndigbo, Dr. John Nwodo, on his election.
A statement by its President, Dr. Ugo Ihekuna, and Secretary General Chief Elvis Chukwu, described Nwodo’s election as very apt, especially coming at a time the Igbo nation is facing a lot of challenges.
The statement said, “We are optimistic that your election will give Ohaneze Ndigbo a new sense of direction and purpose and lay to re
- There is disquiet in the Edo State All Progressive Congress (APC). Observers are watching with keen interest how Governor Godwin Obaseki will pilot the affairs of the party as the new leader of the party. His actions in the past two months have however, shown that it is no longer business as usual in terms of governance.
His body language from the first day he assumed office was a message to political associates as he shunned many who had stormed the government house to celebrate his electoral v
- Kwara State Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) is battling with multiple crises. The leadership squabble between National Caretaker Committee (NCC) Chairman Senator Ahmed Makarfi and factional Chairman Senator Modu Sheriff has polarised the troubled chapter. Two factions, led by Iyiola Oyedepo and Sunday Fagbemi, are struggling for the soul of the party. Correspondent ADEKUNLE JIMOH reports that the future of the divided platform is bleak.
The crisis rocking the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)
- The defection of the senator representing Akwa Ibom South, Senator Nelson Effiong, from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to All Progressives Congress (APC) threw the Senate into a rowdy session on Thursday.
Senator Effiong who announced his defection from the PDP to the ruling APC blamed what he called the intractable crisis in the PDP as the reason for his action.
The Akwa Ibom lawmaker noted that no reasonable politician worth his onions should remain in the PDP.
- Crisis has hit the Ondo State All Progressives Congress (APC) over the recent ambassadorial nomination by President Muhammadu Buhari.
A group within the party, the Movement Against Imposition (MAI), has called for the removal of the name of Mr. Igbekele Daodu Jacobs from the list.
Igbekele is a former Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development.
He defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), a week to the 2015 presidential elections. He was allegedly involved in an
- •’We ‘ll not relent in prosecuting electoral offenders’
The Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof. Mahmood Yakubu has spoken on the commission’s preparation for 2019 poll, saying the mistakes of the past elections will not be repeated.
Acknowledging that election is a collective enterprise involving the cooperation of stakeholders, he said the strict electoral duties that fall within with purview of the agency will be discharged with
- On January 28, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the All Progressive Congress (APC) will renew their battle for supremacy during the House of Representative by-election in Estako Constituency. The previous occupant, Hon Philip Shaibu, is now the Edo State deputy governor.
Politician who have represented Estako since 1999 are late Dr. Austin Obozuwa on the PDP from 1999 to 2003. Hon Abubakar Momoh between 2003-2007. Hon Abbas Braimah was at the National Assembly between 2007-2011. Hon Abubak
- A faction of the Ogun State Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has zoned the governorship to the Ogun East Senatorial District, ahead of the 2019 elections. Correspondent ERNEST NWOKOLO highlights the factors that may shape the party’s preparations for the poll.
Since May 28, 2011, Ogun State Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) has been left in the cold. Now, the troubled chapter is plotting to bounce back.
Its major priority is to recapture power in 2019, after two failed attempts –&nbs
- Lagos State Governor Akinwunmi Ambode has signed the 2017 Appropriation Bill into law. The budget has an array of projects planned to impact on the lives of Lagosians. Miriam Ekene-Okoro looks at the highlights of the budget and what it portends for residents.THERE are indications that 2017 holds so much promises for Lagosians. That was the consensus of observers, after going through the details of the 2017 budget, which was signed into law by Governor Akinwunmi Ambode.The signing of the budget
- The National Democratic Coalition (NADECO) has described the death of minority rights activist Mr. Alfred Ilenre as a huge loss to democracy and the human right community.NADECO Chairman Vice Admiral Ndubuisi Kanu, who led its members on a condolence visit to the family of Ilenre at Ikorodu, Lagos State, said the late activist and NADECO chieftain lived and died for humanity.He said the late Ilenre laundered the image and integrity of the country, noting that the activist travelled abroad to def
- The Samuel Ladoke Akintola Foundation was set up at the weekend by some youths to immortalise the former Premier of the defunct Western Region, who was killed by soldiers on January 15, 1966. Group Political Editor EMMANUEL OLADESU, who witnessed the ceremony, writes on the life and times of the lawyer, nationalist, wordsmith, and controversial leader of the reactionary Nigeria National Democratic Party (NNDP).
Fifty one years after the assassination of Chief Samuel Ladoke Akintola, historians h
- The Senate has removed Senator Mohammed Ali Ndume as the Senate Leader. Since Ndume’s removal, tongues have been wagging as many observers contemplate what went wrong. In this report, Assistant Editor ONYEDI OJIABOR traces the senator’s travails to the leadership tussle in the Upper Legislative Chamber.
The removal of Senator Mohammed Ali Ndume as the Senate Leader was dramatic.Senate President Bukola Saraki, who announced Ndume’s removal from his exalted numb
- Chief Ifeanyi Ubah, the former governorship candidate in Anambra State on the ticket of Labour Party (LP), who defected from Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to All Progressives Congress (APC) last week, with a pledge to pursue his governorship ambition on the new party’s ticket, has raised the bar for the APC’s ticket in the forthcoming governorship race, reports Associate Editor, Sam Egburonu
EVEN before Ifeanyi Ubah’s defection to All Progressives Congress (APC) and his declar
- PROBABLY disappointed by the controversies that trailed the 2016 Budget, the House of Representatives on resumption from the Christmas /New year break assured that the economy is going to be its central focus in 2017. The Speaker, Yakubu Dogara, in his welcome address on the first day of plenary of the year last Tuesday, said the consideration of 2017 Budget estimates would follow due process as prescribed by the law. His disposition may not be unconnected with the fact that past exercises
- IN line with the legislative agenda formulated by the Senate to guide its legislative business, Senate President, Abubakar Bukola Saraki, has unfolded the road map that will guide the activities of the upper chamber for the third quarter.
It appears a road map, if religiously followed, will go a long way to lift the country out of economic despondency.
Saraki used his welcome address at the resumption of plenary on Tuesday after the Christmas and New Year recess, to articulate the wa
- Kwaghngu Abrahams is the Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Special Duties. In this brief interaction with Uja Emmanuel in Makurdi, he said it’s challenging working with Governor Samuel Ortom. Excerpts
What is it like, working with Governor Ortom?
We have been working together since 1990 when he was contesting for Chairman of Guma Local Government Council and we have had a robust relationship. And now that he has appointed me to work with him as Governor of Benue State, it is quit
- Ahead of next year’s governorship poll in Ekiti State, the Peoples Redemption Party (PRP) has urged the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to deploy functional card readers to aid its smooth conduct.
The party said faulty card readers used for the governorship elections in Edo and Ondo State is gave the electorate concern and reduced their confidence in the machines.
In a statement by its Publicity Secretary, Gbenga Ogedengbe, the PRP said the coalition of opposition parties
- Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State has surpassed the expectations of Lagosians in the last 20 months in many respects. The security challenges he faced initially when he came on board had led many observers to dismiss the governor’s campaign promises as idle talk. But gradually he is transforming the state. MUSA ODOSHIMOKHE reports.
Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State has not left the people in doubt, about where the administration is heading. Lagos has witnessed tremendous
- Two months in the saddle, Edo State Governor Godwin Obaseki is living up to expectation through his pragmatic approach to governance, writes John Mayaki.
Prior to his election as governor of Edo State, people were fed with many stories about Godwin Nogheghase Godwin. But, two months after, voters are convinced that he is the best man for the job.
Many lies were told about him. These lies, however, were still not enough to truncate the people’s confidence in him. They therefore voted him in
- The Chief Judge of Yobe State Hon. Justice Garba Musa Nabaruma yesterday inaugurated chairmen and members of the Local Government Elections tribunal in the state.
This is sequel to the forth coming Local Government Elections in Yobe State slayed for Febuary 11, 2017,
According to the Chief Judge, three trial tribunals and three appeal panels, one each of either for each of the senatorial zones of the state in line with the Yobe State Independent Electoral Commission and Local
- Gambia’s outgoing President Yayah Jammeh will not step down when his mandate which ends on January. 18, in spite of his electoral defeat, the Information Ministry said on Thursday.
The autocrat, who ruled the small West African nation for 22 years, will remain in office until the Supreme Court decides on a petition filed by Jammeh.
According to the statement, Jammeh is challenging the result of the December. 1 presidential election.
President-elect Adama Barrow, a former real estate agent
- Ousted Senate Leader Mohammed Ali Ndume yesterday warned that the Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu might likely be the next target to be removed from his seat.
Ndume, who faulted the process of his removal, spoke under the cover of “personal explanation”.
Although the Borno South Senator seemed to have accepted the fate that befell him in good faith, he warned that Ekweremadu might be the next principal officer to be axed.
Senate President Bukola Saraki announced the removal of
- What is the place of the late General Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi in the history of Nigeria? Following the bloody coup masterminded by mostly young Igbo officers, there were lots of misunderstanding, suspicion and resentment against his administration, particularly in the defunct Northern and Western regions. As a leader who was obviously not prepared for the challenges of governance, the late Aguiyi-Ironsi displayed much naivety in the way he handled the demands of various stakeholders. Deputy Politi
- How economically viable is Ondo State? Why is it not living up to expectation as an oil-producing state? Does the state has a future? These were some of the questions a politician, Light Tunji Ariyomo, tried to proffer solutions to at the ‘Trace Annual Lecture’ held in Akure, the state capital, recently.
The theme of the lecture was: Ondo in 2017 and beyond: Building a strong economy driven by 21st century technology and innovations. The guest lecturer said for Ondo to become a
- The former Majority Leader, Sen. Ali Ndume has accepted his removal from the position, which he assumed on June 9, 2015.
Ndume accepted his fate in a point of order raised at plenary on Wednesday, a day after he was dramatically replaced by Sen. Ahmed Lawan(APC-Yobe).
Ndume, who quoted Order 43, said that the senate was an institution that must be protected by law makers.
He thanked his colleagues for the confidence reposed in him, while he served them as majority leader.
According to him, the s
- A former National Publicity Secretary of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Olisa Metuh, has asked the Federal High Court, Abuja, to subpoena former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, to testify in his trial.
At the resumed hearing on Wednesday, Counsel to Metuh, Mr Emeka Etiaba (SAN), reminded the judge, Justice Okon Abang, of a pending subpoena before the court to invite Dasuki as the next witness.
Abang, however, advised that both the defence and prosecuting counsel liaise with
- U.S. President Barack Obama returned to his adopted hometown of Chicago on Tuesday to defend his legacy.
Obama urged Americans to protect democracy from challenges both at home and abroad, in his final public speech before he leaves office.
“Yes we can; yes we did,’’ he said, echoing the slogan of his 2008 presidential campaign, as he was joined on stage at McCormick Place by first lady Michelle Obama and elder daughter, Malia.
He echoed the slogan after delivering his final pr
- U.S. President-elect Donald Trump was presented last week with classified documents containing allegations that Russian operatives claimed to have compromising information on him, U.S. news reports, said on Tuesday.
A synopsis of the allegations was attached to the end of a report by U.S. intelligence agencies on Russian interference in last year’s presidential election, said broadcaster CNN, which first reported on them.
The network based its story on information from multiple U.S. offici
- Gambia’s outgoing President Yayah Jammeh on Wednesday appointed a mediator to facilitate meetings between himself and president-elect Adama Barrow.
Jammeh, who ruled the small West African nation with an iron fist for more than two decades, refuses to accept the result of the Dec. 1 presidential polls, which saw him, lose power.
Barrow, a former real estate agent, who was little known before he announced his candidacy, is scheduled to take office on Jan. 19.
The ruling party’s secret
- Peace may return to the Southwest Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), following the decision of the party elders to reconcile aggrieved chieftains across the six states.A reconciliation team, led by the former National Deputy Chairman, Chief Olabode George, will commence the tour of the states on january 19, it was learnt yesterday.According to party sources, the founding fathers of the party in the region were taken aback by the electoral misfortune of the party and the protracted crisis that has h
- There have been repeated calls for local government elections in Oyo State. There have been no elections in the last 10 years. Stakeholders have been reacting since the Oyo State Independent Electoral Commission (OYSIEC) announced that the elections would take place on February 11 in the 33 local governments and 24 local council development areas. BISI OLADELE examines how political parties are preparing for the exercise.Political parties are warming up for the next local government elections in
- Lagos State All Progressives Congress (APC) chieftain Chief Taoreed Farombi has urged Nigerians to cooperate with President Muhammadu Buhari in his bid to reposition the country for excellence.He assured tha the president will build a better and prosperous society.In his new year message, the politician said better days ahead, urging Nigerians to be part of the process.He said the APC at the federal and state levels have put measures in place to achieve a glorious dawn.Farombi said smile will li
- Rivers State Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Chairman Felix Obuah spoke with reporters on the controversial legislative rerun, the violence that marred the polls and how to avert electoral malpractices. EMMANUEL OLADESU was there.
What is the state of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Rivers State?The PDP is on ground and very strong. It is the leading party in the state and there is no doubt that our choice of Nyesom Wike as governor was a good one. He is God-sent to liberate the people of R
- The Speaker, House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara, has assured Nigerians of the unwavering commitment of the House to enact legislation that would pull the country out of recession in 2017.
Dogara gave the assurance on Tuesday in Abuja in his address to welcome lawmakers from the Christmas and New Year break.
The Speaker said the legislature would implement reforms to the budgeting process that would make it more transparent and devoid of controversies.
He urged members to work assiduous
- The Publicity Secretary of the Ondo State All Progressives Congress (APC), Abayomi Adesanya, has alleged that Governor Olusegun Mimiko may create problems for his successor, Rotimi Akeredolu (SAN), by awarding questionable road contracts across the 18 local governments.He urged the governor to halt the plan to award the contracts, saying that his contributions to the state should now be limited to the transition process.Adesanya said in a statement that N450m has been earmarked for the emergency
- Former Lagos State House of Assembly Speaker Hon. Kolawole Taiwo has urged All Progressives Congress (APC) chieftains in Ifelodun Local Government Area to brace up for the next council polls.He said the APC will defeat the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) during the election, adding that the ruling party has learnt its lesons.Taiwo spoke on the preparations for the contest during its yearly get-together party.At the meeting were the APC Secretary, Alhaji Abdulhakeem Bamgbala,former council chairma
- Daniel Iworiso-Markson is the Chief Press Secretary to Bayelsa State Governor Seriake Dickson. In this interview with MIKE ODIEGWU in Yenagoa, the state capital, he speaks on the challenges confronting his boss and how he is tackling them.How is your boss trying to fulfill his campaign promises to the people of Bayelsa State?Election has now been won and lost. But, what next? If I get you correctly, that’s the thrust of your question. But it is important that we properly situate the philos
- Twists in the crisis rocking the Lagos State Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) have been attributed to external influences, particularly those that have left the fold, but are still interested in using it as a springboard for the 2019 general elections. MUSA ODOSHIMOKHE, who has been following the matter, reports.
THE crisis rocking the Lagos State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) is far from abating. The chapter is under two factional leaders. Both factions have been fight
- There will be a change of baton in Ondo State next month. Governor Olusegun Mimiko will bow out of office after the expiration of his two terms of eight years. Correspondent DAMISI OJO highlights the challenges that will confront the Akeredolu administration and people’s expectations about the new dawn.Rotimi Akeredolu, lawyer and former President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), is warming up for the task of governance in Ondo State. On February 24, he will receive the mantle of lea
- Factional National Deputy Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Dr. Cairo Ojougboh spoke with EMMANUEL OLADESU in Lagos on the protracted crisis in the opposition party and how to halt the logjam.
What is the state of affairs in the PDP at the moment? Our party is very, very strong. The National Working Committee (NWC) set a committee on mobilisation and strategy and they went round the country and when they submitted that report, they said the party is very strong at the grassroots; th
- Former Ekiti State Commissioner for Works and All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship aspirant Chief Oladiran Adesua spoke with ODUNAYO OGUNMOLA in Ado Ekiti, the state capital, on his ambition to rule the Fountain of Knowledge.
Why do you want to govern Ekiti State?
I think I am not only good for the job, like others, I am better because unlike others there are four qualities a person aspiring for the post must have. You must know Ekiti like the palm of your hand. You must be knowledgeable
- EDO North leader in the All Progressives Congress (APC), Anamero Dekeri, has said the party will deliver the dividends of democracy to the people of the state.
He stated this during the thanksgiving service to mark the victory of the party in the last governorship election held in the state recently where Godwin Obaseki emerged winner under the banner of the party.
Organised by the party leader in the senatorial zone, Dekeri said it was also to appreciate the people for giving their total votes
- THE National Assembly will come alive on Tuesday. Members of the two chambers will once again take their seats as they resume for legislative business after the Christmas and New Year recess.
One major task before the lawmakers will be the annual ritual of working to pass the 2017 Appropriation Bill.
President Muhammadu Buhari presented the Appropriation Bill to a joint session of the Senate and House of Representatives on December 14, 2016, some clear two months behind schedule.
- Imo State Governor, Rochas Okorocha, is enmeshed in many battles, report Associate Editor, Sam Egburonu and Okodili Ndidi, in Owerri
SINCE the last months of 2016, there has been a running battle between Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo State and pensioners in the state over non-payment of their pension arrears.
The situation, which has been a source of disagreement between the pensioners and the state governments for many years, became further aggravated late last year when the state government
- The House of Representatives will be resuming from the Christmas Break this week for legislative activities. One does not have to be clairvoyant to guess correctly some of the activities that will take their time on resumption. But would things be done differently? Victor Oluwasegun and Dele Anofi take a look at possible events the lawmakers in the Green Chamber might concentrate on in 2017
One of the priority assignments of the House would be the consideration of the 2017 Budget pro
- Former Minister of Science and Technology, General Sam Momah, is back from a writing retreat. The writer who held numerous appointments including, Adjutant-General of the Army, Commander, Training and Doctrine Command, council member of University of Jos and Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka; Vice President, Third World Academy of Science with headquarters in Italy and the pioneer Director of the National War College, has returned with a book, Nigeria’s Break-Up: Consequences and Solutions,
- Mr Effiong Akpan, Head, Town Planning Department, Uyo City Capital Development Authority (UCCDA), has blamed the government of Akwa Ibom for not releasing funds for the demolition of Reigners Bible Church, Uyo.
The Church building collapsed on Dec. 10, 2016 during the ordination of its founder Apostle Akan Weeks leading to the death of some worshippers while several others sustained injuries.
Akpan made the statement on Friday in Uyo while testifying before the Commission of Inquiry set up by th
- U.S. President-in-waiting Donald Trump has insisted that Mexico would pay for the border wall and refuted reports to the contrary.
Trump, in a tweet on Friday, lashed out at the media for reports suggesting he was going back on a campaign vow to make Mexico pay for a border wall with the U.S.
In an early-morning Twitter response, Trump called the reports “dishonest” and suggested the U.S. would only be putting up money for the “sake of speed” — and vowed Mexico woul