The Delta state chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) hascondemned the celebration of the return of former governor of the state, Chief James Ibori, from the United Kingdom after serving a jail term.
The party, in a statement made available to the Nation in Warri on Sundayby its acting Publicity Secretary, Leonard Obibi, also dissociated itselffrom the party-like reception accorded the former governor, saying it wasnot affiliated with in any way.
The APC said it was repulsed by the huge
- CONTRARY to general public perception of the ambience of the National Assembly (NASS), workers and visitors to the expansive complex and especially the House of Representatives wing have not been having it all rosy for quite a while. While the workers and the legislators may have resigned themselves to the limits of the environment, visitors were often left hugely disappointed over the state of the facilities in the complex. While it will be incorrect to say that all the facilities are in a stat
- THE challenges facing the health sector in the country and the way forward were the focus of the Senate on Wednesday. Chairman, Senate Committee on Health, Senator Lanre Tejuosho, reviewed the sector to highlight why it should be urgently rescued.
The Ogun Central lawmaker painted some depressing pictures about the country’s health sector. To say that the statistics of the rot in the system provided are worrisome may be an understatement.
How best to deal with the issues of access and qual
- Leaders of Ogun State Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) are worried over the continuous defection of close associates influential party leaders to the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), reports Assistant Editor, Dare Odufowokan
SIGNS of panic and disappointment are visible within the circles of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Ogun State, as chieftains and members of the troubled party continue to defect in droves into the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), just as the two
- There is fear in Akwa Ibom State All Progressives Congress (APC) that the face-off between former governorship candidate of the party, Obong Umana Okon Umana, and former Minister of State for the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Senator John James Akpan Udo-Edehe, may worsen the fortunes of the party in the state ahead 2019 elections, reports Associate Editor, Sam Egburonu
MEMBERS of All Progressives Congress (APC) in Akwa Ibom State and their supporters are expressing concern over the lingering
- Sunday Oguntola reports on what has become of the class of 1999 governors several years after they left office
THEY had the honour of being the first elected governors in the fourth republic. From 1999-2003, they held the sway in their respective states. Some of them were reelected for a second term, which terminated in 2007.
Some of them lost reelection bid and moved on to other things in life. Some of them stayed put and relaunched their political careers. A few have remained politically relev
- A Chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Mr Victor Akande, on Saturday said that any further litigation would ruin the chances of the party in 2019 General Elections as many followers would have left.
Akande, representing Ojo Constituency I at the Lagos State House of Assembly made the plea in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos, following an Appeal Court verdict in favour of Sen. Ali Modu Sheriff.
He appealed to the Alhaji Ahmed Makarfi-led faction of the
- Edo State Deputy Governor Philip Shaibu has said he earned the nickname, ‘Mr Constituency Projects,’ because of projects he executed in his constituency when he was a member of the House of Assembly.
Shaibu, who represented Estako West Constituency II between 2007 and 2015, urged the people to elect good representatives.
He said the secret behind the electoral victories of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Edo was due to its developmental projects.
Shaibu disclosed that N36m con
- Sokoto State Governor Aminu Tambuwal spoke with reporters in Sokoto, the state capital, on the economic recession and challenges of governance in the Northwest state. ADAMU SULEIMON was there.
The last administration promised to improve the welfare of religious and traditional rulers in the state. Why haven’t you done much in that regard?
First of all, this government respects traditional institutions and since we came on board, we have accorded them the respect they deserve. They play imp
- The Chairman of the Environment Committee of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Hon. Saka Fafunmi, spoke with OZIEGBE OKOEKI on why the House is considering an executive bill seeking to merge eight laws on the environment and what the state will benefit from the amendment.
Why are you merging the eight environmental laws in Lagos State?
The intendement of the state for choosing to have a compendium of all the laws stems from the fact that there is need for the state to embrace the challenges tha
- The pan-Yoruba socio-political group, Afenifere, has derailed from the philosophy and the ideals of its founding fathers, with most of its members now fraternising with strange bedfellows. Assistant Editor LEKE SALAUDEEN, who has been following this development, reports.
The socio-cultural and political group was formed by the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo as a rallying point for the Yoruba people, Afenifere, appears to have deviated from the ideals of its founding fathers. In its heyday
- Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai spoke with reporters in Lagos on his style of governance, the rift between him and Senator Shehu Sani, the violence in Southern Kaduna and how to end the crisis. EMMANUEL OLADESU was there.
Could you shed light on the protracted Southern Kaduna crisis?The crisis would start with a dispute between two people; as long as those two people are from different ethnic groups, different religious persuasions, they don’t get resolved by community leaders or law
- Hon. Jide Jimoh represents Lagos Mainland Constituency in the House of Representatives on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC). He spoke with EMMANUEL OLADESU on partisan issues.
What is your mission in the National Assembly?Well, my mission in the National Assembly is majorly service to the people through my contribution into making laws that will benefit the generality of the citizenry. And luckily for me, it has been good and interesting. We thank God for that.First timers are
- Jackson Lekan Ojo, a security expert and member of the American Society of Industrial Experts (ASIS), is the National Coordinator of the Yoruba Youth Alliance (YYA). The chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Osun State, in this interview with GBENGA OMOKHUNU speaks on how government can further win the war against the Boko Haram sect, the health of President Muhammadu Buhari and other national issues.
What is your view on President Muhammadu Buhari’s health status ?Pres
- The Niger state House of Assembly has suspended the Chairman of Katcha Local Government Area, Alhaji Mohammed Dogo, for allegedly embezzling over N23.7 million meant for teachers, cooperative deduction and staff salaries.The allegations against Dogo include abuse of office, fraud and mismanagement of public fund.The suspension was based on the findings of a panel on financial misappropriation by the House Committee on Local government during its oversight functions to local government councils.T
- Prominent Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftains have defected to the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), ahead of the local government elections. Group Political Editor EMMANUEL OLADESU writes on the politics of defection and implications for the future of the opposition party.It was not a rented crowd. As from 7 am, the secretariat of the Lagos State All Progressives Congress (APC) on Acme Road, Ikeja, was aglow with festivities. The singing train of party women and youths were dancing
- The National Chairman of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), Dr. Victor Ike Oye, has said that the All Progressive Congress (APC) will not be a threat to the governorship election billed for November in Anambra State.He said in Amawbia, Awka South local government area, that those criticising APGA were doing it because of envy.Oye said those joining the APC in Anambra can not win elections, adding that those who win elections were the masses, who according to him, were with APGA.The poli
- The Supreme Court has dismissed the appeal filed by Mrs. Uche Ekwunife challenging the refusal of the Court of Appeal to set aside its earlier judgement of December 7, 2015, which sacked her as the senator representing Anambra Central District and ordered a rerun poll, thereby disqualifying her and the PDP from the exercise.Ekwunife had approached the apex court asking it to upturn the decision of the Appellate Court to stand by the ruling that sent her packing from the Senate, which was given c
- Former Delta State Governor, James Ibori has returned home after a 13-year jail term in the United Kingdom. His return has already set in motion a chain of events. Assistant Editor LEKE SALAUDEEN examines the implication of his return for the Delta State politics.
The return of former Governor James Ibori of Delta State to the warm embrace of his kinsmen has shown that he is still loved by his people. Ibori returned to Nigeria penultimate Saturday, after serving a 13-year jail term in the United
- Lagos State All Progressives Congress (APC) chieftain Chief Lanre Razak, in this interview with MUSA ODOSHIMOKHE, explains why the party has not met some of its campaign promises to Nigerians. He also speaks on the Igbo’s quest for power shift in 2019 and other issues.The APC has not met the expectations of Nigerians, why?
I want to thank Nigerians for voting the APC, with much expectation at the back of their minds. But, if you have a bad scenario and you are unable to witness a worst sit
- A member of the Lagos state House of Assembly representing Shomolu Constituency 2, Hon. Rotimi Abiru has appealed to Nigerians to be patient with the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari in efforts to take the country out of economic recession.
The Lawmaker, who spoke with reporters in Lagos was reacting to protests organised in Lagos and Abuja.
Abiru said: “There’s need for our youths to be patient with this present administration”.
“The sixteen years of mismanag
- The nine million naira poster fee imposed on governorship aspirants by the Anambra State government is generating ripples.
The All Progressive Congress (APC), the Progressive People’s Alliance (PPA) and The African Democratic Congress (ADC), said they will challenge the draconian guidline in court.
The Anambra Managing Director, Anambra State Signage and Advertisement Agency (ANSAA) and Chief campaigner of APGA, Sir, Jude Emecheta, had declared that anybody aspiring for governorship must p
- Former Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Emeka Ihedioha, in this interview with journalists in Abuja, spoke about the near mass movement of the south easterners to the All Progressives Congress (APC) and explored PDP crisis, offering the way forward. He also projected into 2019 general elections. Assistant Editor, Onyedi Ojiabor, was at the briefing and reports
THE APC is already celebrating that they are getting a foothold in the South-East that used to be a PDP stronghold, especi
- Governor Rochas Okorocha’s declaration of Senator Ken Nnamani, a former Senate President, as South-East Leader of All Progressives Congress (APC), after a controversial zonal party meeting in Imo State, is threatening to polarise the party in the zone, reports Assistant Editor, Dare Odufowokan
A proclamation by Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo State, announcing Senator Ken Nnamani, a former Senate President, as the leader of All Progressives Congress (APC) in the South-East geo-politi
- The return of former Governor James Ibori has initiated fresh re-alignments in Delta State’s political scene, reports Associate Editor, Sam Egburonu
WHEN it was first confirmed last year that former Governor James Onanefe Ibori of Delta State would be released from the London prison in December, members of his political family in the state were amongst the most excited Nigerians over the development. Their enthusiasm peaked when they learnt that their political leader would return home ear
- RECENTLY, members of the Senate Committee on State and Local Government Administration led by its Chairman, Senator Abdullahi Gumel, were in Enugu State on an oversight function on the utilization of bailout funds released to states by the federal government.
The senate committee, after scrutinizing the Enugu State’s record on the above subject matter, rated Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi as the best governor in the utilization of the federal government’s bailout funds in the country.
- The leadership of the People’s Democratic Party and several other political parties have agreed to constitute a broad based political opposition, known as United Forum of Democrats.
The group disclosed this in a resolution signed by Prof. Jerry Gana on Thursday in Abuja after its Wednesday’s meeting.
According to the resolution the forum is made up of the leadership of PDP, People’s Redemption Party (PRP), Social Democratic Party (SDP), Alliance for Democracy (AD), Accord Party
- Katsina State Governor Aminu Bello Masari spoke with reporters in Katsina, the state capital, on his administration’s achievements in the education, agriculture and health sectors. The governor also spoke on his predecessor, Ibrahim Shema, who is being investigated by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over allegations of corruption. KOLADE ADEYEMI was there.
How are you tacking the challenges of governance Katsina State?
I think education is one of the corners
- Former Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Anambra State and member representing Anambra East and West Constituency in the House of Representatives on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Hon. Tony Nwoye, has said the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) won elections in Anambra State through deceit.
He said the party used the name of the late Igbo icon, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, during elections.
Nwoye spoke in Nsugbe, Anambra East local government area, a
- Bayelsa State Commissioner for Information and Strategy Jonathan Obuebite spoke with EMMANUEL OLADESU in Lagos on the first year anniversary of Governor Seriake Dickson’s second term, the security agenda of the state, the management of government/labour relations and how the state is coping with the economic recession.
It is a year into Governor Seriake Dickson’s second term. How far has it been?
One year, how far? Ordinarily, because of the recession that we are into, governme
- THERE is need for women to get more slots in government, a stalwart of the All Progressives Party (APC) in Lagos, Chief Emmanuel Remi-Williams, has said.In an interview, the octogenarian said since independence women, have not be given their dues in the political arena. He said though some were elected into the National Assembly, and others appointed as either ministers or ambassadors, the number is small compared to their population and the significant roles that they have played in the country
- Constitutional lawyer and professor of law Ben Nwabueze (SAN) highlights the violations and abuses of due process of law in the tussle for the governorship of Abia State.
On June 27, 2016 Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court (FHC), Abuja Division, removed Governor Okezie Ikpeazu from office as Governor of Abia State, after his election has been affirmed by the Supreme Court. He accompanied the removal with an order specifically directing the Independent National Electoral Commission (INE
- Group Political Editor EMMANUEL OLADESU highlights the obstacles against the Igbo’s quest for power shift in 2019.
Ahead of the 2019 presidential election, some Igbo are agitating for power shift. The tonic was provided by former President Olusegun Obasanjo, who has urged them to try their luck. But, Obasanjo’s motivational speech was defective. The former leader gave his backing to power shift to Igbo, not the Southeast, thereby creating the impression that the formula for president
- Almost three years after it was conducted, the June 21, 2014 governorship election in Ekiti State has continued to elicit controversy. The latest is the allegation by Governor Ayo Fayose that the All Progressives Congress (APC) has hatched a plot to use the judiciary to remove him on the strength of some fresh revelations. ODUNAYO OGUNMOLA examines the thorny issues thrown up by the bedlam.
More than two years after assuming office as Ekiti State Governor, Ayodele Fayose is still afraid of his s
- Ogun West Senatorial District has renewed its agitation for power shift in 2019. MUSA ODOSHIMOKHE examines the profile of the aspirants and the factors that will aid their success.
The Ogun West Senatorial District, in its quest to clinch the governorship ticket in the 2019 general elections, has thrown up some aspirants.They have embarked on consultations with party chieftains and elders. They are seeking for endorsement at the local and state levels.The zone has complained about marginalisatio
- Newly registered Action Democratic Party (ADP) claims to have the magic wand to address the socio-political problems confronting the country. In a chat with reporters in Abuja, the party’s National Chairman, Mr. Yagbaji Sani, said the ADP has got what it takes to displace the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in 2019. Assistant Editor GBADE OGUNWALE was there.
Amid denials that there is no emerging mega party in the political space, a newly registered party, the Action Democratic Part
- Former President Olusegun Obasanjo stirred up a hornet’s nest recently when he canvassed for president of Igbo extraction in 2019. Mixed reactions have trailed the comment. Prominent Igbo politicians appear to have reservations over the idea, insisting that the challenges facing Nigeria have gone beyond who becomes president. They say the best approach is to restructure the country and allow each region to develop at its own pace. Deputy Political Editor RAYMOND MORDI and Assistant Editor
- Mr. Osita Okechukwu is a chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and the Director-General of Voice of Nigeria (VON). In this interview, he says the defection of eminent political leaders and PDP stalwarts in the South-East to APC is a strategic political move for the 2023 presidential aspiration of Ndigbo. Associate Editor, Sam Egburonu, reports
RECENTLY, former Senate President, Ken Nnamani, former governors Orji Uzor Kalu and Jim Nwobodo joined APC and there are signs that others will
- THE push to give full legal backing to the Maritime University of Nigeria, Okerenkoko, Delta State, got under way in the Senate on Tuesday.
The Senate Committee on Tertiary Education conducted public hearing on a bill for an Act to establish the Maritime University of Nigeria, Okerenkoko and a bill for an Act to establish the Maritime University of Nigeria, Oron, Cross-River State.
While the consideration of the Oron Maritime University passed legislative hurdles seamlessly, not so with delibera
- NIGERIANS are hungry, the economy is in shambles, inflation has wafted into space, many merely exist, hanging unto life sometimes with only one square meal a day, sometimes nothing; the price of kerosene is so high that citizens are considering cooking with petrol. Things are terrible, many are saying. Smile Nigerians, for the worst is yet to come. When evil is crafted, it comes in seemingly positive packages. That is what the National Roads Bill, 2017 is: a black package painted White.
- Bimbo Daramola, a former member of the House of Representatives, was the Director-General of Dr Kayode Fayemi Campaign Organisation. In this encounter with Daniel Adeleye, he speaks on his ambition to contest as the governor of Ekiti State, his past achievements, what he would do differently as a governor and how his party, APC will defeat the incumbent governor, Ayo Fayose. Excerpts
YOU are aiming for the job of your former boss, former Governor Kayode Fayemi; what makes you think that yo
- The current move to change leadership of All Progressives Congress (APC) in the North-West zone is a fallout of alleged power game between the current leadership and some state governors in the zone, reports, Assistant Editor, Dare Odufowokan
THE lingering disquiet among the leaders and other prominent chieftains of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in the northwestern zone of the party is far from abating, following indications during the week that some governors of the party may have
- Far too often, the world views Africa through the prism of problems.When I look to Africa, I see a continent of hope, promise and vast potential.
I am committed to building on those strengths and establishing a higher platform of cooperation between the United Nations and the leaders and people of Africa.This is essential to advancing inclusive and sustainable development and deepening cooperation for peace and security.
That is the message I carried to the recent African Union Summit in Addis A
- Prince Innocent Ofordile is the President-General of Omambala Youth Forum. In this interview with NWANOSIKE ONU, he speaks on the preparations for the Anambra State governorship poll and the group’s support for Governor Willie Obiano.
What is your assessment of Governor Obiano’s performance in office?
Governor Obiano is God-sent to Ndi-Anambra. Hence, the reason why he is living up to the expectation of Ndi-Anambra. It is a known fact in the public domain that his administratio
- Anambra Central District stakeholders are protesting the refusal of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to conduct the senatorial by-election, almost two years after the 2015 general elections. Correspondent NWANOSIKE ONU examines the obstacles on the way of a new poll.
When the Anambra Central senatorial by-election was postponed by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in 2015, little did the stakeholders guess that the exercise will be inconclusive, almos
- A group, The Igbo Conscience (TIC), has urged Nigerians to support the Igbo’s quest for the presidency in 2023.
Its Protem Chairman, Monday Ubani, said the Igbo would vie for the presidency when the North exhausts its term in 2023.
Ubani said the debate on the Igbo presidency is healthy and inspiring.
He said: “We note the renewed debate for a President of Igbo extraction in Nigeria and welcome the debate as a healthy aspect of Nigerian democracy.
“We see nothing wrong in the d
- Prince Anthony Olatujoye, a lawyer and former Director, Legal Services Department, Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), is a banking and financial law expert. In this interview with reporters in Lagos, he talks about the current economic recession, the proposed $30 billion loan, the demand of workers for wage increase, the fight against corruption and other challenges facing the Muhammadu Buhari administration. Deputy Political Editor RAYMOND MORDI was there.
How can the Federal Government mitigate th
- Lagos State All Progressives Congress (APC) chieftain Akeem Omoyele has urged members of the party to choose trustworthy members to contest elections.
He said the party could only guarantee reliable leadership, when people of integrity where voted into offices as chairmen and leaders.
Omoyele, who advised the party loyalist during Mandate Group meeting in Bariga, said there was no division in the party.
He said the insinuation that the Mandate Group was divided was a figment of people’s im
- The crisis rocking the Ondo State House of Assembly has escalated, with two Speakers laying claim to its leadership. Efforts to resolve the logjam by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), which controls the majority in the House, have hit the rocks. Correspondent DAMISI OJO examines the implications of the crisis for parliamentary unity and decorum as the state eagerly awaits the inauguration of a new government.
There is no end in sight to the crisis rocking the Ondo State House of Assembly. The
- The challenges facing the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) are far from being over. The emergence of Governor Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti State as the Chairman of the PDP Governors’ Forum appears to have polarised stakeholders in the Southwest. MUSA ODOSHIMOKHE examines the development.
The recent appointment of Ekiti State Governor Ayodele Fayose as the Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Governors’ Forum has polarised the Southwest PDP. Stakeholders in the zone are agitating f