Delta State Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftain Kris Oputa spoke with OKUNGBOWA AIWERIE on the effects of the protracted crisis on the electoral chances of the party.
The PDP is factionalised. which faction do you belong?
My allegiance is to the Ali Modu Sheriff Camp .He is the authentic chairman of the PDP. The PDP has only one chairman. I belong firmly in his camp.
In Ndokwa East, there appears to be a standoff between you and some powerful elements in the PDP who are sponsoring another c
- Elder statesman and Chairman of the Igbo Leaders of Thought (ILT) Prof. Ben Nwabueze has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to allow the constitution to guide his policies and action, adding that the agitations across the country are for restructuring of the federation.
The call, which was contained in the communiqué issued by the ILT at the end of its recent meeting in Enugu, the State capital, said it is disappointing that after one and half years in office, the government is yet to f
- The Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Lagos State, Chief Moshood Salvador, has promised to unite the warring factions and make the party a formidable opposition. In this interview with Assistant Editor LEKE SALAUDEEN, he speaks about the proposed local government poll, reconciliation moves by the national leaders and other issues.
Observers say the money spent by former President Goodluck Jonathan enabled the Lagos PDP to win some seats in the Lagos State House of Assembly and Na
- The governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the Ondo State, Eyitayo Jegede (SAN ), has promised to create jobs for youths. He said his economic blue print will salvage the state.
Jegede promised to attract investors to Ondo State to boost its economy.
Fielding questions from reporters in Akure, the state capital, the legal luminary said the challenges of the time demanded great leadership.
The former Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice said the legacies of previ
- In this piece, Edo State All Progressives Congress (APC) chieftain Imma Ekpeneru urges President Muhammadu Buhari to halt the marginalisation of Edo Central District by considering the indigenes for appointments.
The Edo State governorship election has come and gone and the outcome has left sweet and bitter memories. For those of us in the All Progressives Congress (APC), the outcome of the election has surely consolidated the hold of the party in the state, nay the country.
It has helped to rev
- Niger State Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has zoned the governorship to the Niger North Senatorial Zone, ahead of the 2019 elections.
The chairman of PDP, Mr. Tanko Beji, told leaders of the party from the senatorial zone, who visited him. The delegation was led by the Zonal Vice Chairman, Alhaji Yahaya Ability.
According to Beji, the decision to zone the governorship seat to the zone was in the “interest of fairness, equity and justice”.
Governor Abubakar Sani Bello is
- The Chief Whip of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Hon. Rotimi Abiru, has called on the people to make inputs into next year’s budget.
The lawmaker, who spoke during a parley with stakeholders at the Bariga Local Council Development Area (LCDA) Secretariat, enjoined residents to support the government.
He explained that the fundamental objectives of the meeting was to brief constituents on the activities of the House in the last one year, stressing that information from participants on t
- No fewer than 28 governorship candidates are eyeing the Alagbaka House, the seat of Ondo State Government. The poll holds in November 26. Correspondent DAMISI OJO examines the contest for power in the Sunshine state.
In less than 40 days, the governorship election will be conducted in Ondo State. The winner will succeed Governor Olusegun Mimiko on February 24, next year.
No fewer than 28 candidates are participating in the exercise.
According to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INE
- SIX weeks to the November 26, 2016 Ondo Governorship Election, all is not well with and within the contesting parties. From the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the main opposition All Progressive Congress (APC) and the third force, Alliance for Democracy(AD), the major parties are dogged by one crisis or the other.
Disagreements and internal wrangling are not unexpected within parties towards an election as important as a governorship poll. But the situations within the major parties in
- THE Whistle Blowers Bill pending in the Senate promises to be landmark legislation in the country. The consensus appears to be that Whistle Blowers Protection Law has become imperative for the survival of the country.
The bill failed to fly in the sixth and seventh Senate. Senators of the two sessions blocked the bill on the resolution that it could be used as a tool for witch-hunt. It was also the understanding of some of the lawmakers in the sixth and seventh Senate that the country was not ri
- Adesoji Akanbi represents Oyo South Senatorial District at the Senate. In this interview with Bisi Oladele, the lawmaker listed 13 simple steps the federal government can take to rebuild the economy and put the country on a higher rung of the development ladder. Excerpts
YOU were one of those who opposed sale of national assets to shore up the nation’s foreign reserve. What informed your opposition?
It is true that Nigeria is in recession at this point of our lives but should this necessit
- IT is no gainsaying that Nigerians home and abroad are not too keen on extreme patriotism for the country, except military and security men (probably because of their calling). The reason is not far-fetched; they believe the Nigerian government is also not eager on taking extreme measures to protect the interest of its citizens in distress, especially those abroad.
The case of recent and not too recent tragedies confronting Nigerians abroad supported the sad reality if we are to cite the case of
- With this week’s failure to inaugurate the PDP Reconciliation Committee, there is fear that the much celebrated peace in the party may remain a mere illusion if the stakeholders fail to resolve fresh complaints, reports Associate Editor, Sam Egburonu
TUESDAY, October 18, 2016 was touted as the terminal date of the prolonged leadership crisis and the resultant factionalisation of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). It was the day the two factions at the centre agreed to meet and inaugurate
- The dissolution of the Akwa Ibom State Executive Council by Governor Udom Emmanuel has dominated the political space. Since the sacked Executive Council was mainly made up of the so-called ‘Senator Godswil Akpabio’s Boys’, observers are of the view that it will no longer be business as usual between the political godfather, now at the National Assembly and the political son, the current governor, reports Kazeem Ibrahym
LET me pay tribute to our immediate past Governor, Hi
- The PDP recently initiated a fresh process to reconcile it warring factions ahead of 2019 elections. MUSA ODOSHIMOKHE examines issues that have militated against the efforts to attain unity in the party.
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has been engulfed in crisis since it lost last year presidential election. Since the March 28 election, the division in the party has grown from the ward level to the national level. The challenges facing the party, stakeholders believe, may difficult to overco
- The Ondo State Executive Committee of the Alliance for Democracy (AD) has defended the party’s choice of Chief Olusola Oke as its flag bearer in the November 26 governorship election, saying the former All Progressives Congress (APC) chieftain has met the requirements stipulated by the party’s constitution.
Speaking at a press conference in Akure, the Ondo State capital, its Chairman, Seriki Adebobola, debunked the report by some youths under the aegis of Akin Olowookere Youth Vangua
- Following the Abuja Federal High Court ruling that went in favour of the candidate of the Senator Ali Modu-Sheriff-led faction of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Mr. Jimoh Ibrahim, the flag bearer of the party in the November 26 governorship election in Ondo State, Mr. Eyitayo Jegede, at a fund-raising event in Lagos, has insisted that he remains the candidate because he was not a party to the suit.
The governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Ondo State, Mr. Ey
- Worried by the rising incidents of abuse of rights of Nigerians by the state, a pro-democracy coalition has advised the Presidency to stop instilling fear into Nigerians.
The Co-Convener, the Coalition in Defence of Nigerian Democracy and Constitution (CDNDC), Mr Ariyo-Dare Atoye, said in a statement that the people would not be cowed by “some misguided actions” of the state to “silence critics, infringe on people’s fundamental human rights and undermine the right to
- A Socio-Cultural organization, the Akoko Consultative Forum (ACF), has pledged to support the flag bearer of the Social Democratic Party (SDP), Dr Olu Agunloye, during the November 26 governorship election in Ondo State.
A statement by its Chairman, Chief Festus Obaude, Secretary, R.A. Ajayi, and Welfare/Education Committee Chairman, Christopher Olorunfemi, described Agunloye as an illustrious son of Akokoland, who has the capacity to uplift the area and the state in general.
The group lamented
- The crisis threatening the Ogun State Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) is far from being over. In spite of the frantic efforts to bury their differences, the warring chieftains remain implacable. Assistant Editor LEKE SALAUDEEN examines the root of the crisis and why it has defied solution.
There seems to be no solution in sight to the crisis rocking the Ogun State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). Since its defeat in 2011 by the defunct Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), the PDP has n
- The Peoples Democratic party (PDP) in Ondo State has raised the alarm over the illegal Army uniforms allegedly sowed by the opposition party All Progressives Congress (APC) as part of its election rigging plots.
The PDP said the APC and another opposition party are busy collecting voters card from potential voters, with a promise of an imaginary palliative, ahead of the next month’s election.
In a statement in Akure by the Publicity Director, Mr Ayo Fadaka, the PDP said it has uncove
- The Coalition for Stable Democracy (CSD), an alliance of pro-democracy groups, has urged the National Judicial Council( NJC) to ensure that the interest of justice is served in the struggle for the governorship slot in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). The group said the judiciary should not allow itself to be used to subvert people’s will.
CSD said the ruling delivered by Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court Abuja was a miscarriage of justice.
Justice Abang had last Friday ruled
- Anambra State All Progressives Congress (APC) chieftain Nze Modestus Umenzekwe spoke with Nwanosike Onu on the Obiano administration and the prospects of the APC in the Southeast state.
The Buhari administration has been criticised by the opposition for not getting it right. As an APC chieftain, are you comfortable with the situation?When you look back to the time he was the governor of Borno, his record at the Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF) days and his military background, you know that he is dest
- The Edo State Council of Ex-Service Men has described the victory of the Governor-elect Godwin Obaseki in the September 28 election as an of God.
The group, in a congratulatory message to the Obaseki, said God’s intervention in the electoral process was meant to ensure a government of continuity to ensure that the good work already started by the Comrade Governor continues.
In a statement by the Chairman, Col. Osawaru Awanbor (RTD), the group said the All Progressives Congress (APC) g
- Chief Lanre Razak, a chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Lagos state and former governorship candidate, spoke with EMMANUEL OLADESU on the Buhari and Ambode administrations, the agitation for special status for Lagos and other issues.
What is your reaction to the rejection of the Lagos Status Bill by the Senate?
I felt very bad when I heard the news. It shows that our senators are not true Nigerians. They are behaving as if they don’t have the interest of the people at hear
- THE leader of the Edo Shall Rise Again (ESRA) Movement, Comrade Salihu Othman Isah, has described those alleging that the recent governorship election was rigged as clowns who are whipping up sentiments to discredit the September 28 contest to justify their failure.Isah described the election as one of the best organised in recent times, adding that it was free, fair and devoid of violence. He reiterated his earlier call that Muslims in the state should be adequately carried along in appointment
- The chances of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the November 26 governorship election in Ondo State has received a boost, as members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) dumped the party for the PDP in Idanre Local Government Area.
Speaking during a reception organized to welcome them to the fold, the defectors, who were led by Mr. Adebowale Olowoeye, and Bidemi Oladapo, attributed their action to what they described as the imposition of the governorship candidate, Mr. Rotimi Akeredolu.
- • Plan town hall meeting.
A group, the Ondo Professionals Coalition, has endorsed Mr. Eyitayo Jegede (SAN), the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) governorship flagbearer.
The Coalition said Jegede was the best option for the people.
In a communique at its meeting in Akure, the state capital, signed by Mr. Kunle Adedipe and Jide Atandeyi, the group said Jegede “has demonstrated the calmness, integrity and administrative acumen of a true professional. This we believe our dear state
- The campaigns of three leading governorship contenders in Ondo State have faced some hitches, which may affect their chances in the November 26 election in varied degrees. Deputy Political Editor RAYMOND MORDI examines the crises facing the three parties and how they may affect their chances.ABOUT five weeks to the Ondo State governorship election, all is not well with some of the major contenders in the race. The campaign of Mr. Eyitayo Jegede of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Mr. Rotimi A
- Lagos State All Progressives Congress (APC) Chairman Chief Henry Ajomale has predicted a broader power base for the party in the Southwest. In this interview with Assistant Editor LEKE SAAUDEEN, he speaks about the controversial Ondo APC governorship primary, the relationship between President Muhammadu Buhari and Asiwaju BolaTinubu as well as other partisan issues.How do you feel at 72?
I don’t feel anything special. It’s like every other day. I thank God for my life and for His gra
- Yoruba leaders gathered in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, recently to mark the 130th anniversary of the end of Kiriji War. One of the objectives of the event was to use lessons of the war to identify the pathway to greatness for the ethnic nationality in the new century. BISI OLADELE covered the conference.
IT was a mix of the old, the young and the not-so-young generations of Yoruba leaders. Though it was a time to exchange banters and relive fond memories, prominent Yoruba leaders who gathered
- Hon. Tajudeen Ajide is the former past chairman of Surulere Local Government, in Lagos. The All Progressives Congress (APC) chieftain is one of the delegates from Lagos that voted for John Odigie-Oyegun during the APC convention Abuja, where he emerged as national chairman. In this interview with reporters in Lagos, he spoke on the face-off between Oyegun and the APC National Leader Asiwaju Bola Tinubu and other issues.Surulere is to home to a number of leading progressive politicians. But, it l
- Factional Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Ogun State, Hon. Sikirulai Ogundele, is worried about the future of the party. The former member of House of Assembly spoke on the protracted crisis, the reconciliation moves, and other partisan issues. Assistant Editor LEKE SALAUDEEN met him in Abeokuta.
What led to the factionalisation of the PDP in Ogun State?
You will recall the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) was in power in Ogun State for eight years under Otunba Gbenga Daniel. Dur
- Since the 2007 governorship election in Ondo State, there appears not to have been an election as anticipated as the forthcoming November guber poll in the Sunshine state. Dare Odufowokan, Assistant Editor, reports that in spite of the presence of nearly 30 candidates and political parties in the race, the election is actually a three horse race between candidates of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), All Progressives Congress (APC) and the newly revitalised Alliance for Democracy (AD).
- PROFESSOR Pat Utomi would not let go of a gathering of a Town Hall meeting hosted by a governor without observing the proceedings. So, on Tuesday, October 11, 2016, he set aside his school duties at Pan-African University, Lekki and headed for the Molade Okoya-Thomas Indoor Sports Hall, Teslim Balogun Stadium, Surulere, Lagos to peep into the entrails of popular democracy and governance.
At the event, the Lagos State Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode, flanked by members of his government, including
- Admiral Mike Onah (Rtd) is the National President, Ndokwa Political Leaders Forum, and the Onotu Uku of Isumpe quarters, Utagba, Uno, Ndokwa West Local Government. In this interview with Alaska Ekele, Dr. Onah, a frontline politician in Delta State, spoke on a number of national issues, even as he outlined alleged spate of marginalisation of Ndokwa nation. Excerpts
How do you see the security challenges facing the nation? It is very unfortunate that the nation is embroiled with security challeng
- WHEN on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 the senator representing Gombe South Senatorial District, Joshua Moltobok Lidani, presented his motion on the celebrated invasion of the private homes of top judicial officers by operatives of the Department of State Security, many Senate watchers were taken aback.
Those who expressed surprise did not do so because the issues raised in the motion were not important. No, far from it. It would have been a gross dereliction of duty if the upper legislative ch
- ON the 7th of October, 2016, the Vanguard Newspaper carried a front page banner headline, captioned, “Why We left Douglas Road Refuse Imo Government”. It was a news report credited to Samuel Onwuemeodo, the Press Secretary to the Governor of Imo State, Owelle Rochas Okorocha. Onwuemeodo was quoted as saying that, “Government deliberately abandoned the refuse along Douglas Road, Owerri to get back at Owerri people who have been battling the state government over the reloca
- A state does not become a failed state if only one of its legs buckles or fails. A nation with strong judiciary, a strong legislature, and a strong 4th estate will withstand a failed presidency. I venture to state that with a strong judiciary and a strong press that a failing nation could still survive. It is difficult for a nation with a failing judiciary to survive. When people lose confidence in the judiciary, they would seek other means to obtain justice. Such other means could include coup
- Chief Ade Adetimehin is the Deputy Chairman of the Ondo State Chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC). In this interview with a cross-section of journalists he speaks on the intrigues that led to the Ondo APC gubernatorial primary stalemate among other issues. Ibrahim Apekhade Yusuf was there
THERE are indications that before the primaries, the Ondo State Chapter of All Progressives Congress (APC) was embroiled with serious internal crisis which led to the suspension of its chairman, Isaa
- Following allegations that federal government’s continuous detention of Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), suggests a deliberate scheme to subdue the people of the former eastern region, about 52 groups met in Enugu this Friday and threatened to join IPOB. Sam Egburonu highlights some of the views of the participants in the tension-soaked meeting
THERE are fresh concerns following unending agitation of numerous groups protesting continuous detention o
- No one dislikes a good story. From time immemorial, a good drama had always held theatre goers by the jugular, keeping them enthralled with unexpected denouements and well crafted epiphanies. Enters the Theatre of the Absurd, where the conventional mores are jettisoned, and existential realities taper into stark hopelessness and despair.
This seems to be the storyline of the $1.1billion Malabu oil deal. The plot and characterisation in the Malabu narrative exudes the finesse of a master craftsma
- Lagos Central All Progressives Congress (APC) leader Prince Tajudeen Olusi, who clocked 80 yesterday, spoke with EMMANUEL OLADESU and MUSA ODOSHIMOKHE on the journey so far, his political battles, the Buhari and Ambode administration, and other partisan issues.
How do you feel celebrating 80?
I feel very happy; I am grateful to the Almighty Allah. Life itself is a journey, embarking on a journey means travelling and coming across both pleasant and unpleasant things. For the Almighty God, who pre
- The Nigeria Labor Congress(NLC), on Wednesday, 12th October 2016, held a One day campaign walk and courtesy visit to the ministry of Finance, in Abuja.The campaign was a medium to call the attention of the Government to tax evasion by some multinationals and illicit financial flow from Africa.The NLC President, Ayuba Wabba, who spoke during ...
- Since the return of democracy in 1999, the security situation in Nigeria has been quite disturbing. Nigerians heaved a sigh of relief with the decisive manner the Muhammadu Buhari administration has been trying to decimate Boko Haram insurgents since it came to power 16 months ago. But, a fresh wave of insecurity from different quarters has enveloped the country, pushing Boko Haram into relative obscurity. Deputy Political Editor RAYMOND MORDI examines the challenges facing the country in this r
- A former deputy governor of Ondo State and one-time ambassador to Uganda, Chief Omolade Oluwateru, has described the candidature of Mr. Eyitayo Jegede (SAN) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) as a “God’s given project”. Also, the Olukare of Ikare, Oba Akadiri Momoh, said the PDP candidate was reliable and hardworking.
Oluwateru said Jegede is the most suitable candidate having worked in the governor’s cabinet for the past seven and half years.
The ex-deputy govern
- The Igbo Leaders of Thought (ILT) has urged the Federal Government to respect the rights of the people to agitate for a better society, saying the country can only survive in an atmosphere of the rule of law.
The President of the ILT, Prof. Ben Nwabueze, in a statement, said the agitation for self-determination being embarked upon by the Igbo does not mean secession. He said self-determination was guaranteed by the United Nations charter.
Nwabueze added that the extreme polarisation of the count
- A Group, the Akoko Consultative Forum (ACF), has pledged to support the flag bearer of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) in the November 26 governorship election in Ondo State, Dr Olu Agunloye, saying he is the best man for the job.
In a statement by its Chairman, Chief Festus Obaude, Secretary, R.A Ajayi and Welfare/Education Committee Chairman, Christopher Olorunfemi, the ACF described Agunloye as an illustrious son of Akokoland, who has the capacity to uplift the area and the whole state.
- The Ondo State chapter of the Alliance for Democracy( AD) has defended its choice of Chief Olusola Oke as its governorship candidate in the November 26 election, saying that the former All Progressives Congress (APC) chieftain is qualified, because he has met the requirements.
It debunked the report by some youth under the aegis of the Akin Olowookere Youth Vanguard (AOYV), claiming that they still recognised Olowoolere as the party’s flag bearer.
Speaking at press conference in Akure
- Customers are the core to any business. There is no way your entrepreneurial business can survive if you don rsquo;t keep or maintain a steady stream of customers. However, attracting new customers is important and may be more complex for small businesses. In recognition of this, Jumia Travel shares 5 tips on how to attract new customers to your ...