As the war of words between Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El- Rufai and Senator Shehu Sani continues unabated, Abdulgafar Alabelewe in Kaduna reports that the quest for Kaduna State’s governorship seat is behind the battle
With the new twists to the feud between Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai and the Senator representing Kaduna Central in the upper legislative chamber, Senator Shehu Sani, the battle line may have been drawn between the duo, even though they are from the same pa
- It smacks on the impossible: The House of Representatives has set up an ad hoc committee to probe revenue losses in crude oil and gas sales. The House even gave a time span: 2011 to 2014. And who is saddled with this seemingly herculean task? It’s Abdulrasak Namdas, the Chairman, House Committee on Media and Public Affairs. He is the one chairing the Ad Hoc committee meant to unravel what only men with links to the fourth dimension can probably accomplish. And without wasting much time, th
- It was the Senate ad hoc committee on the Humanitarian Crisis in the North East, headed by Senator Shehu Sani that unearthed the contract scam involving the suspended Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Mr. Babachir David Lawal in October 2016. Unlike many investigative panels before it, the Sani committee did a thorough job. Some of its findings was the over N200 million contract for the removal of invasive weeds (otherwise known as grass cutting contract) in Yobe State. The co
- The senator representing Niger East District, David Umaru, has said that the feud between the National Assembly and the Presidency is a figment of the imagination of the enemies of the nation.
Umaru said some Nigerians, due to their vested interests, were spreading falsehood, adding that the senators have no reason to fight the Presidency.
The senator told reporters after a protest by youths, who called for the recalling of senators in the state, alleging that they were not being ade
- A year has passed since the demise of Chief Rafiu Jafojo, former deputy governor of Lagos State. Associates and friends of the deceased politician will join his family and other relations for a remembrance anniversary at Ikeja on Sunday. His son, Adewale, an aide of House of Assembly Speaker Mudashiru Obasa, said the event is being organised to honour the memory of the humble politician, who demonstrated loyalty to Awoism and the progressive bloc.
“We want to celebrate his virtues, includi
- An All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship aspirant in Ekiti State, Mr. Yinka Akerele, has advised political office holders to address the growing youth unemployment in the country, before it gets out of hand.
Akerele made the remark while speaking with reporters after visiting the APC office in Ado Ekiti, the state capital, to declare his intention.
The aspirant said the number of graduates, artisans and skilled workers out of job is alarming. He also suggested the inclusion of youths in l
- The United Progressive Party (UPP) has said Southeast governors are afraid of the rising influence of the party, ahead of the governorship election in Anambra state.
The reason, according to the party, is their sudden interest in the leader of Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Mazi Nnamdi kanu after many months of nonchalant attitude by them.
In a statement in Awka, the Publicity Secretary of the party, Uche Amaku, described the governors as rudderless.
He said the governors were frighte
- All Progressives Congress (APC) National Chairman Chief John Odigie-Oyegun spoke with reporters in Benin City, Edo State capital, on the crisis rocking the ruling party and why President Muhammadu Buhari should seek re-election in 2019. Excerpts:
APC chieftain, Tony Momoh has said the party is in dire need of funds because governors are not funding the party. What do you think is responsible for this?
I am not quite clear what he meant by governors donating or funding the party. What the governo
- In this piece, Ahiafor Mez justifies the entry of Senator Andy Uba into the Anambra State governorship race.
The media attacks on Senator Andy Uba since his declaration of intention to vie for office as Anambra State governor again have been sustained and I want to register my disapproval of it. The situation reminds me of the principled stand Wole Soyinka had to take against cruelty to Igbos during the 1967-1970 Nigerian Crisis. He did take that stand: “the man died who kept silent in the
- The Oodua People’s Congress (OPC) has condemned the rejection of regionalism, by some northern elders, as agreed at the 2014 National Conference organised by the last administration.
Rising from an emergency meeting in Lagos, OPC described the pronouncement of the northern elders as an affront on the collective psyche of Nigerians and a deliberate breach to a collective agreement.
The group said regionalism was the minimum option for a united Nigeria, failure of which the country would be
- The inability of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) to broker a truce in the face-off between the Presidency and the National Assembly has impeded the administration’s resolve to work towards fulfilling some of its campaign promises. As a party that has control of the two arms of government, the APC’s failure to rein them into accepting its authority has put a question mark on its cohesiveness. This was the focus of a recent seminar at the National Institute for Policy and St
- Hon Samson Osagie is a former Minority Whip of the House of Representatives. The All Progressives Congress (APC) chieftain spoke with Osagie Otabor on the face-off between the Presidency and the National Assembly and the crisis rocking the ruling party in Edo State.
What is your opinion on the face-off between the National Assembly and the Executive?
The face-off between the National Assembly and the Presidency is not unusual. The public and the media will like to call it a face-off, but we rega
- The National Vice Chairman (Southwest) of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Makanjuola Ogundipe, has described Ekiti State Governor Ayo Fayose and other chieftains supporting the National Caretaker Committee as lawless people. He said nobody in the party, no matter how highly placed, can hold the hand of justice for impunity to thrive.
Ogundipe, who spoke in Ado Ekiti, said Fayose and other chieftains supporting Makarfi are “lawless individuals whose stock in trade is impunity.&rd
- Hon. Jude Idimogu, an Igbo, is a member of the Lagos State House of Assembly from Oshodi- Isolo 2 Constituency. In this interview with Oziegbe Okoeki, he explains why he defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the All Progressives Congress (APC).
You left the PDP for the APC recently. what is the mood in your constituency after your defection?Of course, a lot of my people followed me. Also, there is a process to be followed, when you decamp. We have done the first one on the floor of
- Brigadier-General Mobolaji Johnson (rtd) was the first military governor of Lagos State. In this interview with Group Political Editor EMMANUEL OLADESU and MUSA ODOSHIMOKHE, he explains how he set up the first administration in the state and the challenges that confronted his government.
Lagos is celebrating 50 years. Has the goal of the founding fathers been achieved?There were agitations that Lagos State should be created. And don’t forget that Lagos used to be the Federal Capital of Nig
- Associates and friends joined the relations of former Ondo State Governor Adebayo Adefarati for the 10th year anniversary of his demise in Akure, the state capital. Correspondent DAMISI OJO reports.
The memory of good governance and humility lingers. Many people had a lot of good things to say about him. His virtues were re-echoed recently when people from all walks of life converged to celebrate the 10th anniversary of his passage. To the people of Ondo State, former Governor Adebayo Adeferati
- Lagos State will clock 50 on May 27. The state has over the years become the template for others and the Federal government in economic planning, revenue generation and budget performance. Assistant Editor LEKE SALAUDEEN writes.
Lagos is in a celebration mood. The state government has lined up a 50-day programme to celebrate its 50th anniversary. The state, which was created on May 27, 1967, by the military administration of General Yakubu Gowon, when Nigeria was carved into a federation o
- Hon. Bimbo Daramola is a former member of the House of Representatives and Director-General of the Kayode Fayemi Campaign Organisation for the 2014 election in Ekiti State. The governorship aspirant spoke with EMMANUEL OLADESU in Lagos on his ambition, the cracks in the Ekiti State All Progressives Congress (APC) and how the opposition party can bounce back to power in the Fountain of Knowledge.Why do you want to be governor of Ekiti State?Why do I want to be governor? I give you an illustration
- The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mr Yakubu Dogara, says political interests may mar the proposed 2018 population census.
Dogara, therefore, called on the people clamouring for the conduct of the census in 2018 to exercise patience until after the 2019 elections.
He said this was necessary as there would likely be mounting pressure to manipulate the outcome of the exercise.
Dogara, in a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Public Affairs, Mr Turaki Hassan, on Monday in A
- Former Kano state Governor, Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau has applauded the President Muhammadu Buhari’s anti graft war, saying that “it is what most Nigerians have been yearning for.”
According to him “Anyone who acquired wealth through illegal or fraudulent means should be investigated and brought to justice.”
He noted that it takes a true and honest individual to right track a nation like Nigeria against corruption, pointing out that” we will join hands prov
- The Lagos State Independent Electoral Commission (LASIEC) has finally has given the nod for parties to start warming up for local government elections. The polls, scheduled to take place on July 22, will give the parties an opportunity for a popularity test. Deputy Political Editor RAYMOND MORDI examines the preparations of the various parties and their winning strategies.
AFTER a long wait, preparations for local government elections in Lagos State are finally underway. For over two years, it w
- The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Edo State has explained why it rejected Friday’s ruling of the Election Petitions Tribunal which affirmed the election of Governor Godwin Obaseki.
Chairman of the tribunal, Justice Ahmed Badamasi, had in a unanimous judgment thrown out the petition of the PDP and its governorship candidate, Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu for failing to support their pleadings with evidence as well as abandoning some pleadings in their petition.
State Chairman of the PDP, Chie
- Major actors in the impeachment drama in Anambra State House of Assembly have retired to the rural communities to perfect their final plans in the battle to either save or impeach the embattled Speaker, report Associate Editor, Sam Egburonu and Assistant Editor, Dare Odufowokan
For about a month before the Thursday, April 6, 2017 report of the impeachment drama in Anambra State House of Assembly, there were clear indications that all was no longer well in the House which used to pride itself as
- Edo people escaped the invading and importuning clutches of severe misrule and diabolic maladministration by the whiskers when the spirits of the ancestors and the provisions of the law booted out the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) to usher in good governance under Comrade Adams Oshiomhole. PDP had been in power for 10 excruciating years and had bled the soul of the heartbeat state dry, looted the exchequer, and done enough damage to undo the exemplary works of the late Dr. Samuel Osaigbo
- Olaoluwa Adeyeye is an international trade and investment lawyer who recently contested the governorship elections in Ondo State under the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC). In this interview with Ibrahim Apekhade Yusuf, he speaks on the prospects of Governor Rotimi Akeredolu’s government in Ondo State, among other sundry issues. Excerpts:
You sought your party’s nomination in the 2016 governorship elections in Ondo State which Rotimi Akeredolu won. Does APC victory in
- All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), Board of Trustees member, Dr. David Onuoha-Bourdex, has expressed surprise that the Senate did not go the whole hog to strengthen the Electoral Act by prescribing stiffer punishment for poll offenders.
While commending the 8th Senate for the bold and timely review of the 2010 Electoral Act, he noted that apart from legislating fines for electoral officers that may engage in tampering and manipulation of votes, there is need for an electoral offences tribun
- Though desirous of a deep legislative relationships with South-Africa, the House of Representatives is upbeat about Nigeria exploring the doctrine of reciprocity if all diplomatic options fail to curb attacks on its citizens living in South Africa. The House arrived at the decision following the outcome of its ad hoc Committee on the attacks on Nigerians and looting of their property in South Africa.
The committee, headed by the Majority Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila, went to South Africa where seve
- The Senate is gearing up to upgrade two first class polytechnics in the country to universities of technology.
On Thursday, April 6th, 2017, the Federal University of Technology, Ilaro, Establishment Bill 2017 and Federal University of Technology, Yaba Establishment Bill 2017, passed the first reading in the Senate.
Essentially, the bills seek the upgrade of two prominent tertiary educational institutions, Yaba College of Technology, Lagos State and Federal Polytechnic, Ilaro, Ogun State into un
- The Peoples Democratic Party and its governorship candidate, Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu, have rejected the ruling of the Election Petitions Tribunal which upheld the election of Governor Godwin Obaseki.
Pastor Ize-Iyamu described the judgment dismissing his petition as porous and one that cannot stand at the higher courts.
Addressing PDP elders, leaders and party supporters at his campaign office , Pastor Ize-Iyamu described the judgment as unacceptable.
Ize-Iyamu expressed gratitude to his support
- The All Progressives Congress (APC) and the Peoples Democratic (PDP) in Kwara State are at dagger’s drawn over a purported plot to unseat Senate President Bukola Saraki.
The spokesman for the APC, Sulyman Buhari, said in a statement that the party was confident that the renewed plot against the Senate President will crash, just as previous ones were defeated.
He said: “Few days ago, some aggrieved party leaders took their desperation a notch higher, by co-opting, inducing and bribing
- The Chairman of the Governing Board of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), Senator Victor Ndoma-Egba, has described the defection of the erstwhile Presidential Adviser on National Assembly Matters, Senator Florence Ita-Giwa, to the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) as welcome development.
The NDDC chairman made the remark in a press statement signed by his Special Assistant on Communication, Mrs. Clara Braide.
Ndoma-Egba said Ita-Giwa’s decision to join the APC came at a ti
- A chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Edo State, Mr. Collins Idahosa, has called on the leadership of the party to step into the crisis between Hon. Sunday Aghedo and Mr. Sunday Adanomo in Ovia Southwest Constituency.
He said the opposition would take advantage of the division, if it was not properly managed, ahead of the 2019 general elections. He called on the National Chairman, Chief John Odigie-Oyegun, to intervene to prevent the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) from makin
- An All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship aspirant in Ekiti State, Dr. Adebayo Orire, has described his party as the hope of the people and the answer to their problems.
Orire made this assertion in an interview with The Nation in Ado Ekiti, the Ekiti State capital. He said the 2018 governorship poll will give the people of Ekiti an opportunity to change what he called “bad governance that has been going on for over two years now.”
The medical practitioner-turned politician sai
- The Kebbi State Independent Electoral Commission (KESIEC) has released the time-table for the next local government elections in the state.
The Chairman of the commission, Hon. Aliyu Muhammed Mera, who disclosed this to reporters in Birnin-Kebbi, the state capital, said the election will take place in the 21 local government areas in July.
He said this will enable the political parties, stake holders and the general public to make the necessary preparations for the exercise.
He said nomination f
- Former Information Minister and All Progressives Congress (APC) chieftain Prince Tony Momoh, in this interview with reporters in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), speaks on the Buhari administration, the crisis in ruling party and other partisan issues. Excerpts:
You allegedly said Nigerians should stone APC leaders, if the party failed to perform after two years. Did you actually make that statement?
Yes, I said so. I said if APC does not perform. In fact, the interview where I
- Alhaja Sikirat Abimbola Jakande, wife of former Lagos State Governor Lateef Jakande, is 70 today. In this interview with Group Political Editor EMMANUEL OLADESU and MUSA ODOSHIMOKHE, the former First Lady explains how she met the eminent politician, his style in office and his triumphs over political vicissitudes.How do you feel celebrating 70?
I feel great celebrating 70 years. I am so happy for the wonders God has done in my life. I cannot say anything other than thank God for His mercy upon m
- Eddy Osifo, a lawyer, is former Commissioner for Agriculture and Natural Resources in the defunct Bendel State. In this interview with Osagie Otabor in Benin, the Edo State capital, he speaks on the crisis in the All Progressives Congress (APC) and how President Muhammadu Buhari can succeed in office.
How do you see the current face off between the Executive and the Senate?
The APC as a party appears to be in government only and not in politics. If they are in politics, some of them who grew win
- Former Military Administrator of Katsina State, Senator Joseph Akaagerger, has said Alhaji Ali Modu Sheriff ought to be given due recognition as the National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in any gathering of party members.Akaagerger made the statement against the backdrop of the peace meeting organised by former President Goodluck Jonathan, where Sheriff walked out because he was not allowed to address the members in his capacity as the national chairman.Sheriff, who walked out
- The appointment of 57 politicians as chairmen of caretaker committees to administer 33 local governments and 24 Local Council Development Areas (LCDAs) in Oyo State has generated mixed feelings among the members of the All Progressives Congress (APC). BISI OLADELE traces the underlining factors behind the acceptance and rejection of the candidates by the public.
It was a list long awaited. Politicians prayed. Many lobbied to gain a place among the 57 ‘wise men’ that would s
- Fifty years ago, in 1967 to be precise, Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey and his Inter-Reformers Band waxed a record in praise of some major towns and ethnic groups in Southwestern Nigeria. Lagos led the groups followed by Ekiti. In the lyrics for Ekiti, Obey listed a number of prominent personalities who were led by Governor Adebayo and which included Colonels Ariyo and Babatola. The civilian names had Oriade Wellington and ended with, yours sincerely, Kunle Olasope.The lyrics ran thus: ‘&rs
- Former House of Representative member Hon. Bimbo Daramola is a governorship aspirant on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ekiti State. He spoke with reporters, shortly after his declaration for governor in Ado Ekiti, the state capital. ODUNAYO OGUNMOLA was there.
What’s your comment on Governor Ayo Fayose’s recent assertion that the APC has no capacity to win in 2018?This is just an empty boast. Let me start by saying that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in th
- Crisis is brewing in the Ogun State All Progressives Congress (APC) the removal of some local government chairmen of the party from office.The chapter is being investigated by the national leadership over the alleged removal of the Chairman of Ijebu Ode council, Mr. Ladi Lekuti; Alhaji Azeez Mohammed of Ado Odo Ota council and Sunday Akinyemi of Yewa North Local Government.The chairmen were removed, following clashes between the camps of Governor Ibikunle Amosun and Chief Olusegun Oso
- Ahead of the 2019 general elections, the Senate has amended the Electoral Act and empowered the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to use electronic voting for the conduct of polls and the transmission of results. Assistant Editor LEKE SALAUDEEN examines the prospects and challenges of e-voting in an emerging democracy like Nigeria’s.THE Senate has amended the Electoral Act of 2010, legalising the use of Card Readers for authenticating the identity of voters in future electio
- Australia-based medical doctor and investor Dr. Wole Oluyede has joined the list of governorship aspirants in the Ekiti State All Progressives Congress (APC). He recently unfolded his development blueprint for the state at Ado-Ekiti, the state capital. ODUNAYO OGUNMOLA reports.
A MEDICAL practitioner, Dr Wole Oluyede, has joined the governorship race in Ekiti State on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC).He has visited the party office in Ado-Ekiti, the state capital, where he was
- A faction of the Lagos State Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has expressed its support for the Senator Ahmed Makarfi-led National Caretaker Committee.The members of the faction at its meeting held in Lagos adopted a motion affirming the leadership of Makarfi as the leader.The factional chairman, Hon. Moshood Salvador, said that the leader of the party, Chief Bode George, and other leaders were behind Senator Markarfi.He said: “The entire party structures in the state, including our leader,
- Almost 19 years after, the controversy over the sudden death of the winner of the June 12, 1993 presidential election, Chief Moshood Abiola, in detention has not resolved. The recent remark by former Chief of Staff Lt-Gen. Ishaya Bamaiyi that the eminent politician did not die of natural causes has further fueled the suspicion that he was murdered by unknown assassins. Group Political Editor EMMANUEL OLADESU reports.
Who killed Moshood Abiola? What killed the winner of the historic June 12, 1993
- The recent judgment of the Court of Appeal, which upturned the impeachment of former Ondo State Deputy Governor Ali Olanusi, has been described as a landmark for democracy. DAMISI OJO, who has been following Olanusi’s travails, reports.
It was victory at last for the astute politician and former deputy governor of Ondo State, Alhaji Ali Olanusi, who was impeached by the House of Assembly on April 25, 2015, over allegations of anti-party activities. It was a long-battle of courage and endur
- Senator Babafemi Ojudu is the Special Adviser on Political Matters to President Muhammadu Buhari. In this interview with reporters in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), he speaks on the face off between the executive and the legislature, particularly the refusal of the Senate to confirm Ibrahim Magu as the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the rift with the Comptroller-General of Customs, Col. Hameed Ali (rtd), among other issues.
What’s your comm
- THE Anambra State United Progressive Party (UPP) has inaugurated its Working Committee (SWC), ahead of the November 18, 2017 governorship election. Speaking during the inauguration, its Deputy National Chairman (South), Chief Chris Uche, urged the newly-constituted SWC to work for the victory of the party in the election.
He said the best way to address the growing agitations by the various ethnic nationalities is through fiscal responsibility and restructuring.
Uche condemned the continued inca
- Adeyinka Ajayi is the Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Aids, Loans and Debts Management. In this chat with Victor Oluwasegun, the lawmaker who represents Odo-Otin/Ifelodun/Boripe Federal Constituency in Osun State, speaks on the 2017 budget, Nigeria’s debt stock, the $29.6 billion 2017-2019 borrowing plan and the $500 million Eurobond approved for the Federal Government and other issues. Excerpts:
HON. Adeyinka Ajayi is the Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Aid