Ibadan – A housewife and mother of four, Kafayat Moses, on Wednesday asked the Mapo Customary Court in Ibadan to dissolve her 15-year-old marriage to Moses Odeyemi over abandonment.
Kafayat informed the court that her husband, though a Pastor, had abandoned her for another woman, thereby, denying her all the rights of a wife.
“Things were going on smoothly between us until 2014 when Moses suddenly came to introduce to me a woman evangelist whomhe said was a perfect spiritual worker w
- A Karmo Grade 1 Area Court, Abuja, on Thursday sentenced 25-year-old Amos John to two months imprisonment for stealing church property.
The judge, Abubakar Sadiq, convicted John as he pleaded guilty to the count charge of theft levelled against him.
The judge, however, gave the convict an option of N7, 000 fine.
Sadiq said that the court was lenient on the convict because he saved the court from prolonged trial, and warned him to shun crime.
Earlier, the prosecutor, Mr Dalhatu Zannah, told the c
- The Anambra Government has denied allegations that it is selling land it acquired to build an airport in Oba in Idemili South Local Government Area.
Chief Willie ObianoThe Commissioner for Lands, Chief Okey Moka , made the denial in an interview in Awka on Thursday .
Moka said activities in some portion of the land, including the erection of residential buildings, were within the terms the land was acquired.
Some members of the community had petitioned Gov. Willie Obiano asking him to intervene
- The wife of a Chinese player gave her husband a red card Wednesday for playing away, claiming that spending too much time with his mistress led to his embarrassing gaffe in a crucial World Cup qualifier.
Jiang Zhipeng, a Guangzhou R&F club left-back, had a disastrous performance in Tehran against Iran Tuesday, where his header sent the ball to the opposing team, setting them up for the only point of the game.Jiang Zhipeng
Chinese newspapers called the 1-0 match, a FIFA World Cup Asian qualif
- Bayern Munich goalkeeper Manuel Neuer will be out for two matches after sustaining an injury in training, but should be fit for the Champions League showdown with Real Madrid, the Bundeliga giants said Thursday.Bayern Munich’s goalkeeper Manuel Neuer (R) stops a penalty kick from Real Madrid’s Portuguese forward Cristiano Ronaldo (L) during the UEFA Champions League second leg semi-final football match Real Madrid against Bayern Munich at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid on Ap
- The Nigerian Communication Commission (NCC) has established minimum Quality of Service (QoS) standards to ensure service delivery for the telecommunication industry across the country.
NCCAccording to a statement on Thursday, the QoS standards are to ensure that consumers enjoy consistent high quality telecommunications service.
“These QoS standards ensure that consumers continue to have access to high quality telecommunications service by setting basic minimum quality levels for all opera
- Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said his future was “not sorted completely” on Thursday as he ducked another opportunity to make an announcement about what he intends to do.
Arsene Wenger Photo: Arsenal.comWenger, Arsenal’s manager since 1996, has come under fire from fans after the club were humiliated by Bayern Munich in the Champions League and dropped out of the Premier League top four.
The Frenchman said recently that he would make an announcement on his future “very s
- South African President Jacob Zuma has vowed to sack his respected finance minister, a government coalition party confirmed Thursday, in a move which could split the African National Congress (ANC).
Pravin GordhanZuma has been at loggerheads with Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan for months, and this week abruptly ordered him to return home from a foreign investment trip as speculation rose of a dramatic political showdown.
Gordhan is supported by several senior ministers and many international in
- A Boko Haram faction led by the son of the group’s founder is trying to win over civilians by shunning the indiscriminate violence of its longtime figurehead that has alienated locals.
Eyewitnesses to a spate of recent raids attributed to Islamist fighters loyal to Abu Musab Al-Barnawi in northeast Nigeria have said they repeatedly told villagers they would not be harmed.
Others say mass violence has been reduced in parts of the northern Borno state around Lake Chad now controlled by Barna
- Stephanie Otobo, the Nigerian Canada-based singer and stripper who accused the General Overseer of the Omega Fire Ministries, Apostle Johnson Suleiman of having extra-marital affairs with her and others has, in a latest video, boasted that her god is greater than that of Apostle Suleman’s and that hers equally has more connections than his.
She added that Apostle Suleiman, upon all that has happened, chose to hide the truth from people instead of making it public.
- By: Chineneyeh OzorThe crisis rocking the Assemblies of God came to climax on Wednesday as the sacked General Superintendent of the Church has been chased out of the church’s national secretariat.
The Church’s national secretariat is located at the Independent Layout, Enugu State.
A Supreme Court judgement had early in February affirmed the sack of Rev. Paul Emeka by the Appeal Court as the General Superintendent of the Church.
Vanguard reports that the Supreme Court verdict was full
- Mr Taidi Jonathan, a former Chairman of the Nigeria Bar Association (NBA), Minna Branch, on Thursday said that the Senate has gone beyond its authority on its decision to suspend Sen. Ali Ndume.
Sen. NdumeJonathan said this in Minna that the resolution was clearly an abuse of the Constitution.
“The suspension of Sen. Ali Ndume is ultra vires under the powers of the legislature in the 1999 Constitution of Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended),” he contended.
According to him, Secti
- A Professor of Political Science, Femi Otubanjo, said on Thursday that the All Progressives Congress (APC) must mediate in the current face-off between the Senate and the Presidency.
Buhari and Bukola SarakiOtubanjo, who works with the National Open University of Nigeria, made the call in an interview in Lagos on Thursday.
According to him, APC, being the ruling party has a role to play in ensuring that the process of governance in the country is not thwarted by the face-off.
The don was reactin
- I WOULD like to start by congratulating Governor Seriake Dickson and his reconciliation team on the marvellous breakthrough they have achieved in their reconciliation assignment.
The news does actually get better every day as we receive reports of their efforts on a daily basis.At a time it seemed that certain forces in the Peoples Democratic Party , PDP,had written off the efforts of the Committee as having been overtaken by events, Governor Dickson held on to his mission as a truly impartial m
- Some residents of Borno on Thursday expressed shock over the six months suspension slammed on former Senate Leader, Alhaji Muhammad Ndume, by the leadership of the Senate.
Senator Mohammed Ali Ndume A cross section of those interviewed in Maiduguri said that the action was unfortunate.
Malam Musa Walama, an Iron- Bender, said that the suspension was undemocratic
“I was saddened by the news of Ndume’s suspension from the Senate, I kept thinking about the issue through out yesterd
- By Dayo Benson
Amid growing clamours for Judiciary independence, former President of the Nigeria Bar Association (NBA), Augustine Alegeh (SAN) has added his voice, urging the National Assembly to amend the 1999 constitution and grant financial autonomy to the judiciary. He cautioned that the current situation whereby the executive controls the finances of the judiciary poses a danger to the nation’s democracy.
Alegeh made his position known in a le
- By Ebele Orakpowith Agency report
Necessity, they say, is the mother of invention. This has proved true in Brazil, where some scientists have used the skin of the Tilapia fish to treat burn patients. Tilapia, also known as epuya in Yoruba language, is widely farmed in Brazil and so will be available always.
ACCORDING to the leader of the team of researchers, Dr. Edmar Maciel, a plastic surgeon and burn specialist, the three functional skin banks in Brazil cannot meet 99 per cent of the national
- Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has called on the leadership of the Senate to “immediately withdraw the unwarranted and unconstitutional ‘summon’ for Professor Itse Sagay, Chairman Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption to appear before the Senate committee on ethics, privileges and public petitions for reportedly describing the body as ‘childish and irresponsible’ and one ‘filled by people of questionable character’.
- A FCT High Court on Tuesday admitted as evidence a letter from the Nigerian Navy to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission claiming ownership of a property located at 2717 Cadastral Zone A06, Maitama district, Abuja, a property that is meant to be a safe house for the Nigerian Navy in line with international best practices.A safe house as gathered by our reporter is an apartment or a house designated for secret intelligence gathering or operations base.
The letter was tendered by defence c
- By Esther Onyegbula
A 42-year-old tailor, who was arrested in Lagos for raping a 13-year-old girl in Ajangbadi area of Lagos, has denied rape, saying he was in a relationship with the girl.
Lucky EmmanuelThe teenager, a Junior Secondary School, JSS, 1 student, was said to have been raped while she was hawking plantain.
Preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect, Lucky Emmanuel, is a divorcee. His wife, as gathered, moved out leaving their two children in his custody.
- By Clifford Ndujihe, Henry Umoru, Dapo Akinrefon, Emman Ovuakporie, Gbenga Oke, Erunke Joseph, Johnbosco Agbakwuru & Levinus Nwabughiogu
…Senate suspends Ndume for 6 months, clears Saraki, Melaye…Summons Sagay for insulting senators…Mixed reactions trail face-off
ABUJA—THE battle of wits between the Presidency and the Senate took a new twist, yesterday, as the Senate summoned the Chairman, Presidential Advisory Committee against Corruption, Professor Itse Sagay, SA
- Apart from Afenifere, the OPC and a number of noble and courageous elders and leadershardly anyone else from the south west has spoken up publicly for the Ifes and the Yoruba in this matter and that is a crying shame.
What happened to the voices of the APC Governors in Yorubaland? What happened to the voice of Vice President Yemi Osinbajo?
What happened to the voices of the respected Pa Bisi Akande and the great Jagaban of Borgu, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu?
We need to hear from all of these distintingu
- ByEmma Ujah & Peter Egwuatu
LAGOS— The Debt Management Office, DMO, yesterday, listed 2.1 billion (2.067.961,000 ) units of FGN savings bond series 1 on the Nigerian Stock Exchange, NSE, just as 100,000 units were traded after listing.
This is even as the Federal Government, yesterday, announced a 7.5 per cent yield on its $500 million euroband.
Speaking during the listing, Director-General of the DMO, Dr. Abraham Nwankwo, commended Nigerians for participating in the first issuan
- By Josef Omorotionmwan
THERE is a decline in the acceptability of the Igue Festival, particularly in our rural areas, where the festival was originally held in the highest esteem.
In the Benin Kingdom, the Igue Festival is such an important celebration that must not be allowed to die. If we must achieve the goal of reinvigorating, internationalising and turning the Igue into a major money spinner as a hub for tourist activities, the time has come to begin to examine the entire circumstances
- By Soni Daniel, Northern Region EditorAbuja: The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mr. Yakubu Dogara, yesterday, took a look at the ongoing controversy between the Senate and the Comptroller General of the Nigerian Customs Service, Colonel Hameed Alii, describing the development as mere distractions.Speaker House of Representatives, Hon. Yakubu Dogara fielding questions from State House Correspondents after closed door meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abu
- By Emman Ovuakporie & Johnbosco Agbakwuru
ABUJA—WORRIED by the poor condition of retirees in the country, Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara, has summoned Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun; her Labour counterpart, Senator Chris Ngige, and Minister of Budget and National Planning, Senator Udoma Udo Udoma.
Also asked to appear before the House plenary is the Head of Service of the Federation, Mrs. Winifred Oyo-Ita.
They are to appear before the House to explain w
- By Vincent Ujumadu
Awka— SCORES of women and youths in Umuoba Anam, Anambra East Local Government Area of Anambra State took to the streets nude in protest against their traditional ruler, Igwe G. A. Ekwealor, who was accused of supporting the activities of herdsmen in the area.
The protesters said their action was to appease the gods because their traditional ruler defiled their land by allowing the Fulani herdsmen into their community where they have been causing untold hardship for the
- By Ikechukwu Nnochiri
THE urgent need to modernise judicial practice and procedure in various courts across the country, dominated discourse at the 2017 Refresher Course for Judges and Kadis, held at the National Judicial Institute, NJI, in Abuja on Monday, March 13,2017.
In his opening address, the Chief Justice of Nigeria, CJN, Justice Walter Onnoghen, aside emphasising how imperative it was to make Justice more accessible and affordable to Nigerians, equally harped on the need for Judges to e
- By Chinedu Adonu
ENUGU—The leadership of the Movement for the Actualization of the Sovereign State of Biafra, MASSOB-BIM has disclosed that some traditional rulers have been enlisted in the pro-Biafra struggle.
Leader of MASSOB-BIM in Enugu North zone of Enugu State, Chief James Omeke revealed this to journalists during the mobilization and sensitization of new members from Igbo Etiti region, adding that the group intimated new members on why they believe that non-violence would
- The senior special assistant to the Delta state Governor on special Duties (public/ private partnership) Mr Besidone Samuel Eyengho has tackled the management of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) over alleged exclusion of the Itsekiri nation in the commission’s recent tender for projects to be executed in the region.
Eyengho an indigene of Ugborodo community in warri south west local government area of Delta state said that the Itsekiri people want to know why they were exclude
- Super Eagles coach, Gernot Rohr, said he will continue to look towards Europe in his quest to raise a formidable team for the FIFA 2018 World Cup.
Gernot RohrRohr was responding to suggestions that he should consider Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) players in the build up, to the World Cup and Africa Cup of Nations. The only home-based player in the Eagles camp during last week’s friendly against Senegal in London was Ikechukwu Ezenwa who plays for Ifeanyi Ubah.
- By Emmanuel Aziken, Henry Umoru, Dapo Akinrefon, Gbenga Oke, Joseph Erunke, Omeiza Ajayi & Dirisu Yakubu
Outpouring of condemnation yesterday trailed the Senate’s admission that it authorised the purchase of a single vehicle worth N370 million in the midst of the economic recession in the country.
Some of Nigeria’s leading opinion and civil society activists flayed the Senate’s decision as insensitive, parochial, selfish, self-serving and out of touch with
- Cameroon’s Africa Cup of Nations-winning coach Hugo Broos has threatened to quit over management and funding problems in the national team set-up.Broos, who led the team to the trophy in Gabon in February, said he is “seriously considering whether I should continue or not”.
He also said his players and staff have to work in “poor conditions” while Cameron Football Federation officials “sit in their chairs doing nothing”.
“I cannot accept this,&rdqu
- By Rotimi Ojomoyela, Josephine Agbonkhese, Chris Onuoha & Anino Aganbi
IT is no longer news that the spate of gender violence in Nigeria has risen to unprecedented levels across board. A non-governmental organization, NGO, in Lagos, the CLEEN Foundation reports one in every three respondents admitting to being a victim of domestic violence in a survey which also found a nationwide increase in domestic violence in three years from 21% in 2011 to 30% in 2013. A CLEEN Foundation&rsqu
- By Esther Onyegbula
Operatives of the Lagos State Police Command has arrested three suspected members of a kidnap gang in connection with series of abductions in Epe area of the state.
Recall that a female Police Sergeant attached to Ketu Division, identified simply as Bola, was abducted last month at Omu-Ijebu, a border town between Lagos and Ogun states, while a lawyer and owner of a farmland in Ogbodu community in Epe were also kidnapped.
The suspects— Tola Samuel, 26; Fekun Aboy, 23, a
- By Festus Ahon
ASABA—GOVERNOR Ifeanyi Okowa of Delta State, has charged the President of Dangote Group, Alhaji Aliko Dangote, to invest in the petro-chemical industry by taking advantage of the huge deposits of gas in the state.
Okowa, who gave the charge in Asaba during the commissioning of Chinedu & Sons ultra- modern office complex and Dangote Cement warehouse, said such investment would go a long way to provide jobs for the youths, which, according to him, will usher in enduring pe
- By Davies Iheamnachor
PORT HARCOURT— Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria, PENGASSAN and Nigerian Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers, NUPENG, have urged labour unions and civil society groups to commence a sustained fight for the passage of the Petroleum Industry Bill, PIB.
Chairman of NUPENG/PENGASSAN Joint Committee on the PIB, Mr. Chika Onuegbu, at a two-day workshop organised by the Rivers State Council of Trade Union Congress, TUC, in Port Harcourt,&nb
- By Elizabeth Uwandu
MATHEMATICIANS under the umbrella of Mathematical Analysis and Optimization Research Group, MANORG, has called for a collaboration with players in the industry to provide solutions to modern technological and industrial challenges.
Chairman, fourth annual international conference and workshop on Mathematics Analysis and Optimization: Theory and Application, ICAPTA 2017, Prof. Olajire Olaleru, said that the conference was to avail mathematicians and players in the industrys th
- By Providence Emmanuel
Lumen Christi International High School, Uromi, Edo State, has emerged the overall best performing school in the country by winning the Augustus Bandele Oyediran trophy for producing the best overall results in the 2016 West African Secondary School Certificate Examination, WASSCE.
The school emerged winner with best aggregate, determined on the results of best 50 candidates based on their grades in English Language, Mathematics and a Science subject, to cling the prestigi
- By Kingsley Omonobi
Abuja—A dismissed officer of the Department of State Services, DSS, 35-year-old Abdulrasheed Maigari, with his gang members that included a B.Sc. holder from South-Eastern university, Kelvin Emeka, have been arrested by Police Intelligence Response Team, led by ACP Abba Kyari, following the abduction of Alhaji Isa Salami, Chairman of Gateway Insurance and former Chairman, Peugeot Automobile of Nigeria, PAN.
Maigari confessed to be one of the gang members that robbed a b
- SPEAKER, Delta State House of Assembly, Mr. Monday Igbuya, representing Sapele Local Government Area and House of Representatives member, representing Ethiope Federal constituency, Lovette Idisi, have passed a confidence vote on the Delta State Governor Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa.
The lawmakers who made the assertions at an enlarged meeting of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Delta Central senatorial district, said Okowa’s developmental projects and the Smart Agenda were noteworthy.
- By Dayo Adesulu
It defies imagination that in the 21st Century, there is a community where students are receiving their lectures in a poultry house. However, this is the sad situation at Itori Ewekoro in Ogun State where about 1,000 students learn under a dilapidated building used by poultry farmers in the past. This was the case until Oando Plc came to the rescue.
Before the visit of Oando Foundation, the oil company’s charity organisation to the primary school recently, the dilapid
- By Paul Olayemi
Sapele—The gunmen that kidnapped Mrs Oghenekevwe Odebala last week in Sapele, Delta State, are reportedly demanding for N10 million.
The Chairman of Sapele Local Government Area, Delta State, Mr. Ejaife Odebala, elder brother to the victim’s husband is, however, calling for her unconditional release.
Mrs Oghenekevwe Odebalor, was, last Wednesday night, kidnapped by unidentified gunmen, while driving home from a friend’s house around Kingsley Esiso Road in Sapele
- By Abdulwahab Abdulah
lagos—Over 13,000 investors in Nospecto Oil and Gas Ltd.; have protested the continuous delay in hearing of their case, which, they said, has been pending before the Supreme Court for more than five years.
Some members of the investors who matched to a national television office in Lagos have appealed to the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen to intervene in their case and direct the expeditious hearing of the case.
courtSpeaking during the protest, the
- By Peter Osalor
THE United States of America is no doubt a great nation but the history of America wouldn’t be complete without the mention of great men like Vanderbilt, Carnegie, Ford, Morgan, and Rockefeller whose entrepreneurial exploits and footprints are still visible to date.
In the 80s, we heard names like the Abiolas, Ojoras, Okoyas, Dantatas, Iwuanyanwus, and the rest. Nigeria is indeed blessed with great minds and entrepreneurs but unfortunately, most Nigerian businesses do not t
- By Gab Ejuwa
Delta State Caretaker Committee of the All Progressives Congress, APC, yesterday, in Okpara Waterside, Ethiope East Local Government Area of the state has charged leaders and stakeholders of the party to sensitize members ahead of membership drive of the party as its congress draws close.
The state caretaker committee chairman, Mr. Nathaniel Omo-Onyeke, the Delta Central, Vice Chairman, Prince Sam Kowho, Delta South, Vice Chairman, Mr. Mario Omawumi and Mr. Collins Mukoro, Assistant
- By Abdulwahab Abdullah & Jane Echewodo
lagos—Justice Lateefa Okunnu of a Lagos State High Court sitting in Ikeja yesterday issued a bench warrant against the witnesses in the trial of a former Managing Director of the defunct Finbank Plc, Mr. Okey Nwosu, who was charged with N10.9 billion fraud.
The witnesses includes Mr Yakubu of the Central Bank of Nigeria and Miss Judith Agwu, who were the company Secretary of First City Monument Bank.
The witnesses had failed to produce the documen
- By Chioma Onuegbu
Uyo—COMMUNITY leaders in Eket Local Government Area, Akwa Ibom State, met yesterday to brainstorm on recent security challenges occasioned by the activities of herdsmen operating in their communities. They called on the state government to intervene in the situation.
The community leaders in their separate remarks at the meeting condemned the continuous harassment of innocent citizens and residents especially women by the herdsmen.
Armed Fulani-herdsmenThey noted that the
- By Rotimi Ojomoyela
The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in Ekiti State has described former governor of the State and Minister of Mines and Steel Development, Dr Kayode Fayemi as a bad loser and day-dreamer, always seeking power through the back-door.
The party added that; “This time around, he will never achieve his diabolical plot of perverting the will of the Ekiti people, which was clearly expressed in the 2014 governorship election in the state.”
Reacting to a publication in whic
- By Nkiruka Nnorom
MAKING use of relevant information, reaching and implementing decisions quickly, simplifying operational models, as well as building up an organisational culture, among others have been identified as factors that would enable business leaders achieve better success in their organisations.
This was the view expressed by speakers at the inaugural edition of the Chartered Global Management Accountants, CGMA Speaks Series, in Lagos and was organised by the Chartered Institute of Ma
Follow @GeneralNews_NGR on Twitter!