Katsina United are hoping to maintain their unbeaten run as they visit the Sanni Abacha Stadium today to tackle points chasing Kano Pillars.
Katsina United player, Tasiu Lawal said though they have respect for Kano Pillars, Katsina United will be out to get a good result. The coach Baldwin Bazuaye’s side last suffered defeat on January 25, in Maiduguri and have since gone five matches unscathed.
“We will face a tough match in Kano but we are up to the task,” Lawal told Go
- By Tonnie IrediaAbout a month ago the Police made some revelations about the December 10, 2016 rerun election in Rivers State. The revelations which were contained in the report of a panel set up the Inspector General of Police (IGP) among other things indicted 6 police personnel, 23 electoral officers and 2 administrative officers of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for unwholesome conduct during the election. In a previous article, we commended the police for at
- By Levinus Nwabughiogu
President Muhammadu Buhari, yesterday, called to speak with the Minister of Information, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, and his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, from London, one month after he left the country on medical vacation.
But the Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Malam Garba Shehu, missed his own call. He received a text message subsequently from his principal.
This is the first time the media team wo
- By Dele Sobowale
Decency, security and liberty alike demand that government officials shall be subjected to the same rules of conduct that are commands to the citizen. In a government of laws, existence of the government will be imperiled if it fails to observe the law scrupulously. Our government is the potent, the omnipresent teacher. For good or for ill, it teaches the whole people by its example. Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invi
- The journey of who wins the 2017 star prize of Diamond bank sponsored annual Vision of The Child, VoTC competition with the theme “Sisi-Eko@50: Ageing Gracefully or Na So So Pancake?kicked off last week with the announcement of the modalities by the organisers.
This edition is specially designed to celebrate the 50th birthday anniversary of Lagos, by showcasing the rich intellectual resources of its children and youths.Over 2000 children from primary and secondary schools, ages between 8 -
- By Denrele Animasaun
“However long the night, the dawn will break.” – Hausa proverb
Sod’s law states that “if something can go wrong, it generally will. Last week, was my sod’s law moment and boy, the gremlins came out in force! Admittedly, I was horrified but, with a sharp intake of breath, I embraced the moment and I moved forward because, there is hope for a better tomorrow.
I am a Nigerian after all. I am made of sterner stuff. The lesson I learnt wa
Battle for ‘forest oil deposit’: 23 bodies recovered, 18 villagers still missing – Akwa Ibom monarchAttackers were heavily armed, we could not fight back’Oku Iboku falsely laying claim to Okposong river – Cross River elder
By Emmanuel Una, Calabar & Chioma Onuegbu, Uyo
THERE appears to be no end in sight to the perennial communal war between the Oku Iboku people in Itu Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State and their counterparts in Ikot Offiong in Odukpani Local Government Area of Cross Rivers State.The two communities have been at war over boundary for decades.
- Overweight may not be your problem, but, then, that’s not the only reason for exercising.
On account, life can rather be hectic, we all need to have a little bit more energy than we already possess. Practising relaxation techniques help us relieve stress brought on by everyday living. That way, we get quick results from exercise characterised by great energy and wonderful well-being.
Of course, it won’t do to do all the right exercises and ignore to eat properly. Quality aside, we mu
- By Emmanuel Ajibulu
House of Representatives Committee on Petroleum Resources Downstream embarked on an oversight visit to Kaduna Refining and Petrochemical Company, KRPC, through a delegation led by the Committee Chairman, Honourable (Comrade) Joseph Akinlaja.
The oversight function came at a time the KRPC resumed crude oil pumping after a disruption that was caused by a pipeline fire at Aku, near Lokoja, Kogi State.
Idi Mukhtar, Managing Director of the company, disclosed thi
- Nigeria, despite many challenges is known for several things; her tasteful music, deep appreciation of football, extravagant weddings and jollof pride. In this interview, Imoteda, Head Chef, Heels in the Kitchen in her narrative of the Nigerian Fusion Food Tour said that Nigeria could earn foreign exchange from food export. According to Imoteda, what is least talked about is the wealth of incredible recipes and fresh produce the nation is endowed with. For her, it is time the government re
- By Femi AribisalaOn the last day, we shall be judged by the truths we rejectMany Christians reject central tenets of the faith Jesus delivered, while still claiming to be Christians.We have been socialised on the word of men, contrary to the word of God. Indeed, many have established no-go areas in their hearts and minds against the word of God.These no-go areas pertain to issues dear to us, about which we are not prepared to entertain anything contrary.
Thus, when a man loves money and desires
- By Emma Una
Chief of the Army Staff, Lt General T Y Buratai, says, as a young army officer, he lived in a makeshift apartment, popularly known as ‘batcher’, between 1989 and 1990 owing to acute shortage of accommodation facing the Nigerian Army.
Chief of Army Staff, Lt-Gen. Tukur BurataiBuratai, who stated this in Calabar while commissioning seven blocks of flats containing 56 flats built by the 13 Brigade of the Nigerian Army in the Cross River
- By Udeme Clement
Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) has started repositioning to make the maritime sector friendly, thereby attracting more investors into the country.
The Director General of NIMASA, Dr. Dakuku Peterside, said this during a courtesy visit to the Comptroller General of Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), Hameed Ali.
“In NIMASA there is a new wave of change in the same direction with the Customs. We are focused on delivering on our mandate to promot
- By Nduka Ogwuda
The Tony Elumelu Foundation is an ‘Africa based and African funded philanthropic organisation dedicated to the promotion of excellence in business leadership and entrepreneurship and to enhancing the competitiveness of the private sector across Africa‘. It is a programme in which 1,000 entrepreneurs are selected based on the viability of their ideas, including market opportunity, financial understanding, scalability and leadership and entrepreneurial skills. The lucky
- By Daud Olatunji, Abeokuta
Governor Ibikunle Amosun of Ogun State, on Friday, stopped his convoy and personally coordinated the rescue of three accident victims along Akure-Ondo Road.
Amosun, who came across the accident scene, while returning from the swearing-in of Governor Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State in Akure, stopped his convoy and led efforts to recover the accident victims from the bush.
Gov Ibikunle AmosunThe accident involved a Volkswagen car with registr
- By Janet Adetu
“One good thing about music, when it bites you, you feel no pain”-Bob Marley.
“Where words fail music speaks” – Hans Christian Anderson.
“I think music in itself is healing. It is an explosive expression of humanity. It’s something we are all touched by. No matter what culture we’re from, every one love music”- Billy Joel.
How true these statements are, music calms and soothes when you are feeling down, lonely and uptight. It i
- By Jimitota Onoyume,
Port Harcourt – DESPITE the heavy presence of soldiers and policemen, the rerun election in Etche local government area of Rivers State, yesterday, still witnessed incidents of violence.
There was heavy shooting and reported hijacking of election materials. Three agents of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, were among ab
- The Alake and paramount ruler of Egbaland, Oba Adedotun Gbadebo, has commended national telecommunications operator, Globacom, for its support for the preservation of culture in the country.
He gave the commendation at a press conference held in his palace in Abeokuta, Ogun State, to announce the programme for the 2017 Lisabi Festival. The monarch noted that the data grand masters had through sponsorship of different festivals helped promote the country’s tourism potentials.
- By Jide Ajani•February1999: Presidential primaries in Jos, Plateau State: Olusegun Obasanjo’s victory as the presidential candidate shakes the party.
•Obasanjo ignores consensual approach to picking his running mate. Single-handedly picks Atiku Abubakar
•Obasanjo surreptitiously encourages governors-elect on PDP platform to become political leaders at state level
•Between May and June 1999: Obasanjo rejects the choice of Chuba Okadigbo as senate president and instead fo
- By Emeka Anaeto,Economy Editor
A wave of political pressures may have forced the emergence of a new order in the nation’s foreign exchange market even as currency speculators abandon their positions with losses going up to N45 billion and more.
Inter-bank interest rates have also spiked to all time high with potent threat to other interest rates including lending.
Nigeria’s local currency, Naira, appreciated to a 14-week high of N455/USD1 yesterday in the parallel market segmen
- By Chris Uwaje
If the nation is still searching for the alibi of the audacity and professional ability of Software Nigeria, to effectively deliver world class solutions for the economic advancement, constructive development, national security and global competitiveness of Nigeria, the search stops here with Treasury single account, TSA.
The one year old Treasury Single Account (TSA) national project initiative is a digital knowledge infrastructure powered by developed by Systemspec developers an
- Abuja –Malam Garba Shehu, the Senior Special Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity, has narrated how he missed the President’s phone call on Saturday.
The presidential aide, who made this known on his Facebook page on Saturday, said the Buhari originated a call to him from his London abode after he (Buhari) had spoken with some members of the presidential media team.
He, however, revealed that he received a text message from the President after missing the ca
- The Nigerian Meteorological Agency (NiMet) has predicted moderate haze conditions with horizontal visibility range of two to five kilometres over the central states of the country on Sunday.
NiMet’s prediction is contained in a Weather Outlook released by the Central Forecast Office on Saturday in Abuja.
It also predicted that Zaria and Kaduna might have visibility less than or equal to 1000m with day and night temperatures of 34 to 39 and 18 to 24 degrees Celsius respectively.
- This group of boys numbering about 50, suspected to be political were arrested by security agents in Ulakwo Ward 13 for allegedly trying to disrupt the on- going legislative election in Etche. The boys were seen sitting on the ground on Saturday, surrounded by some military and policemen.
A Cross Section of suspected thugs arrested by the Nigerian Army at Olakwo II Etche during the Rivers Federal and State House of Assembly Re-run Election for Etche and Omuma Constituency being taken into custod
- Dutse – The Buji Local Government Council of Jigawa says it has procured 80 cartons of sweet to woo children into accepting to be administered the oral polio vaccine.
The Information Officer of the council, Alhaji Ali Safiyanu, disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Saturday in Dutse.
According to Safiyanu, 42,850 children are expected to be immunised in the area during the exercise, taking place from Feb.26 to March 2.
He said the council had received enou
- Three people were hurt Saturday when a car ploughed into pedestrians in the southern German city of Heidelberg, said police, who reported the driver was arrested.
“A man drove into groups of people, three hurt, the suspect arrested and wounded,” police wrote on Twitter, without saying whether the driver acted intentionally.
Germany has been on high alert since a Tunisian allegedly rammed a truck into a crowded Christmas market in Berlin in December, killing 12 people, before being sh
- Nerveless Fabinho chipped in a late penalty winner as Monaco beat Guingamp 2-1 away on Saturday to move clear at the top of the Ligue 1 table once again.
Kamil Glik gave the principality side the lead in Brittany and Fabinho netted with a “Panenka” from the spot with four minutes left before Etienne Didot pulled one back late on for the hosts.
It was a welcome return to winning ways for Monaco after their 5-3 defeat to Manchester City in the first leg of their Champions League last-1
- Chelsea surged 11 points clear at the top of the Premier League as Pedro inspired a 3-1 win over Swansea, while Leicester’s gloom deepened as the troubled champions plunged into the relegation zone on Saturday.
Antonio Conte’s leaders won for the 17th time in their last 20 league games to push them a step closer to the title.
Cesc Fabregas, restored to the team in place of Nemanja Matic, was making his 300th Premier League appearance and the former Arsenal star marked the milestone i
- The Vice Chancellor of Godfrey Okoye University, Enugu, Prof. Christian Anieke, says the institution has discovered fake or adulterated yam flour products in the Nigerian market.
Speaking on Saturday during the 4th Convocation of the institution, Anieke said that the discovery was made possible through the exploits of the institution in Biotechnology.
He said that the institution had a massive project of DNA analysis and sequencing of tropical fishes, plants and yam species in the community led
- Enugu – The Vice Chancellor of Godfrey Okoye University, Enugu, Prof. Christian Anieke, says the institution has discovered fake or adulterated yam flour products in the Nigerian market.
Speaking on Saturday during the 4th Convocation of the institution, Anieke said that the discovery was made possible through the exploits of the institution in Biotechnology.
He said that the institution had a massive project of DNA analysis and sequencing of tropical fishes, plants and yam species in the
- A leader of the All Progressives Congress APC in Delta State, High Chief Michael Johnny has condemned both Christians and Muslims praying for the death of President Muhammadu Buhari, describing such an act as ungodly and demonic.
Johnny, who is also Chairman of Egbema Gbaramatu Communities Development Foundation, said: “It is shameful and unfortunate that Christians and Muslims in Nigeria who claimed to be children of God could pray for the death of their fellow human.
BuhariIn the Bi
- Kogi State Governor, Alh. Yahaya Bello has urged Nigeria and South Africa to “lock themselves down in bilateral engagement” in order to find “a lasting solution to the alleged xenophobic attack on Nigerians in South Africa”.
The Governor made the call through a statement by his Director General on Media and Publicity, Kingsley Fanwo in Lokoja, Friday, saying the two African giants cannot afford strained relations.
Governor Yahaya Bello of Kogi State“Reports of xenop
- By Bunmi Sofola
LAGOS is definitely an exciting place,” said this charming lady I recently sat next to at a birthday bash. “My husband has just been transferred to Lagos from the Abeokuta branch of his office and I dreaded the things that could happen to my social life in Lagos. I needn’t have worried,” she said enthusiastically.
“Before now, outings in our town house had been strictly for couples. Single girls seldom show up at social functions alone and whenever w
- By Abdallah el-KurebeSOKOTO – The Inspector General of Police (IGP) Ibrahim Idris has said that Nigeria was under policed because the police was under funded, a development, according to him had impeded the improvement of security in the country.
He made the statement in Sokoto when Government Secondary School, Farfaru Old Boys Association (FOBA) honoured him and seven others.
Idris disclosed that the Force was working with the National Assembly for better allocation. “The Polic
- By Omeiza AjayiABUJA – A political pressure group within the Gombe state chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Inuwa Organization Network, has described Saturday’s local government election in the state as fraudulent, demanding for its cancellation.
The group described what happened in the state as a “heavily compromised arrangement by the State Independent Electoral Commission SIEC in the hands of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the state”.
A statement si
- Two medical specialists have identified lack of medical equipment and dearth of trained specialists as major reasons forcing many medical experts to travel abroad for more training.
They stated this in Lagos that after the training overseas, such persons settled there for plush jobs.
Prof. Akinyinka Omigbodun and Dr Olutola Olutosin spoke in separate interviews on the sidelines of the inauguration of the Permanent Secretariat of the West African College of Surgeons (WACS) at Yaba, Lagos.
- bY Soni Daniel, Northern Region Editor,Abuja – Apparently shocked by the escalation of attacks in Southern Kaduna despite increased security measures put in place by the government, Acting President, Prof Yemi Osinbajo has summoned the Inspector General of Police to the Aso Rock Villa for explanations.
A top source in the Presidency, who is privy to the summons of the police leadership, told Sunday Vanguard that the Presidency was unhappy with the fresh killing of 21 persons in the trouble
- Musawa (Katsina State) – Sen. Abu Ibrahim (APC- Katsina) on Saturday in Musawa, his home town, organised marathon prayer sessions for President Muhammadu Buhari, who is on medical vacation in London.
The prayers, which were offered in batches, were led by reputable Islamic scholars from 11 local government areas in the senatorial district with thousands of residents in attendance.President Buhari
Ibrahim, who is the Senate Committee Chairman on Police Affairs, said President Buhari needed
- Mr Femi Adesina, Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to the President, on Saturday, said he spoke with President Muhammadu Buhari who is currently on medical vacation in London.
Adesina confirmed this development on his twitter handle on Saturday in Abuja.
The presidential spokesman said Buhari acknowledged his (Adesina) efforts“ for holding out against mischief makers”.
Adesina said on his twitter handle: “Spoke with President Muhammadu Buhari a short while ago. Glad to hea
- Dr Tolulope Otuneye, a General Medical practitioner at the National Hospital, Abuja, has described bedwetting among adults as a “genetic medical sickness’’.
Otuneye told newsmen in Abuja on Saturday that bedwetting during sleep is also referring to as `nocturnal enuresis’.
According to him, this is a medical condition known to occur more among children ostensibly from an immature bladder.
He, however, noted that the phenomenon among adult, indicated an underlying health c
- Apple Inc. said it’s investigating a customer’s claim that her iPhone7 began making strange noises and puffed white smoke without warning this week.
An 18-year-old Arizona woman posted video of the smoking smartphone on a social media page. The phone, an iPhone 7 Plus model, is seen sitting on the woman’s bathroom sink with white smoke emanating from the device.
The woman, Brianna Olivas, said she was awakened on Tuesday morning by squealing sounds the phone was making as it la
- The Executive Director, Action Health Incorporated, Mrs Adenike Esiet, has advised parents and teachers to teach children sexuality education at an appropriate age to reduce early moral decadence. Esiet gave the advice at a media roundtable and launch of a book on school curriculum by Nigerian Academy of Science (NAS).
The curriculum is titled: “Family Live and HIV Education (FLHE) in Nigeria’’.
She told journalists on the sidelines of the project which is focusing on the Issue
- The Speaker of the Edo House of Assembly, Mr Justin Okonoboh, on Friday evening escaped an attack at Igueben Local Government Area of the state.
Okonoboh (APC Igueben constituency) made this known when he briefed newsmen in Benin on Saturday.
He thanked his backup driver for shading him from the assassins.
“On my way back from my constituency at about 5.00 p.m. on Friday where I went to settle some land issues, my aide in the escort van called me from his phone that we should be on the ale
- The Bishop of San Diego has attacked U.S. President Donald Trump, telling his audience of social justice warriors that they should disrupt Trump’s efforts to fulfil his campaign promises.
In a 20-minute address to the U.S. regional meeting of the World Meeting of Popular Movements, Bishop Robert McElroy said that “President Trump was the candidate of disruption. He was the disrupter.”
“Well, now we must all become disrupters,” he said.
Acknowledging that the United
- By Anthony Ogbonna
President Muhammadu Buhari has again called his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, saying he is still resting.
President Buhari called Adesina at 2:43 P.M Saturday from his London base where he had gone for vacation.
In a statement made available to newsmen by Adesina, it said:
President BuhariAt exactly 2.43 p.m today, Saturday, February 25, 2017, my phone rang. Who was at the other end? Tunde Sabiu, personal assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari.&ld
- The Secretary to Government of the Federation (SGF), Mr Babachir Lawal, has said that President Muhammadu Buhari is laying a solid foundation for the future generation through his leadership style.
Lawal spoke at a roundtable with top government officials in Owerri on Saturday.
The SGF was in Owerri on Friday where he was conferred with a Fellowship at the 5th Convocation of Imo State Polytechnic, Umuagwo.
He said Buhari’s administration was not witch-hunting anybody, but wanted to en
- The Rivers state Governor, Nyesom Wike has on Friday, ordered the arrest of 15 mechanics caught polluting the air by burning used tyres and condemned engine oil.
Governor Wike gave the order for the arrest while he was driving back from a funeral at Oyigbo. On getting to the area, Governor Wike saw thick black smoke oozing from the burning tyres as set by the mechanics.
Wike orders arrest of 15 mechanics polluting air by burning tyres, oilWike then directed the state fire service to put out the
- Kwami (Gombe ) – Some residents of Gombe and Kwami Local Government areas of Gombe state say they had lost confidence in local government elections, as such voting in Saturdays’ election in the state, is not their priority.
The council polls in those areas, reports that most people were busy engaging in other activities as against going to cast their votes.
In some of the polling units, only election officials were seen wailing away their time as there were no voters.
Malam Ali Bomoi
- Port Harcourt – A group of boys numbering about 50, suspected to be political thugs have been arrested by security agents in Ulakwo Ward 13 for allegedly trying to disrupt the on- going legislative election in Etche.
The boys were seen sitting on the ground on Saturday, surrounded by some military and policemen.
They were alleged to have been arrested from different units of the Ward.
Reacting to the incident, the Resident Electoral Commissioner in charge of Rivers, Mr Ikoiwak Aniedi urged
- …says Police will not be allowed to hijack electoral materials
Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike has stated that the All Progressives Congress ( APC) has failed Nigeria, declaring that Rivers State is one of the very few functional states in the country.
The governor stressed that due to APC’s failed governance style, all the development structures of the country have collapsed, compelling APC to rely on security and INEC to rig elections.
Speaking during the PDP Campaign fo
Follow @GeneralNews_NGR on Twitter!