By Emman Ovuakporie & Johnbosco AgbakwuruABUJA—THE House of Representatives may be forced to issue a Bench Warrant on the Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources and the Petroleum Products Pricing and Regulatory Agency, PPPRA, over what it described as unlawful dismissal and disengagement of one Nwachukwu Loretta and four other officers without fair hearing.
According to the House, the decision violates section 36 of the 1999 constitution as amended and as such cannot stand.
- Former Nigeria coach Samson Siasia is now in oil-rich Qatar in connection with a lucrative top coaching job.
“Siasia flew out to Qatar Friday (last week) afternoon. He is there to discuss a coaching post,” a top source informed.
SiasiaOver time, Siasia has been variously linked with overseas coaching posts. The former Super Eagles coach led Nigeria to win bronze at the Rio Olympics in August.
His contract as Nigeria Olympic team coach ended with that tournament.
It was further gather
- By Luka BinniyatKADUNA – The Islamic Movement in Nigeria, banned in Kaduna State three weeks ago by Governor Nasir el-Rufai, has accused the governor of being the jury and at the same the prosecutor in their case.
The IMN in a press statement yesterday in Kaduna, signed by its wanted spokesman, Ibrahim Musa, also said the banning of the group amounted to a crackdown on religious minority, insisting the governor had no power to ban a faith.
- As the November 24 date for the 2016 Nigeria Auto Journalists Awards (NAJA) draws nearer, the Nigeria auto journalists, organisers of the event have called on the public to vote for their favourite nominees on the Nigeria Auto Journalists Association website.
According to a statement released by the organisers, members of the public can log on to www.naja.com.ng and cast their vote as the votes casted will constitute 50% of the total votes to the winners. The other 50% wi
- Kick-off: 6pm
Everyone agrees that Japan are an irresistible force, as they have shown in stringing together 11 consecutive U-17 Women’s World Cup wins since their opening match in Costa Rica two years ago.
Yet while the Japanese are the reigning world champions, it should not be forgotten that they are not the continental title holders, having lost to Korea DPR in the final of the 2015 AFC U-16 Women’s Championship, which doubled up as the qualifying competition for Jordan 201
- There is a lot of excitement over the dramatic outburst of Aisha Buhari followed by chauvinistic reply of the President, all providing comic relief to the battered nation. The most interesting part of it was the kitchen and inner room position of the first lady, sorry, the wife of Mr President.
While some consider it as being too harsh and relegation of the status of women, others say it is a fact especially from the standpoint of comparative experience of both the President and his wife i
- Tournament number one seed in the men’s category, Spain’s Enrique Lopez-Perez is justifying his rating in this year’s Governor’s Cup Lagos Tennis Championship as he is cruising his way to winning the second leg (Futures 6) of the competition.On Thursday, Lopez-Perez, who won Futures 5 last weekend, had a smooth ride to the semi final as he defeated number 8 seed, Maciej Smola of Poland in straight set of 7-6,7-5 to set up a clash against Moez Echargui of Tunisia on Friday
- ‘O Allah, always lend to us the wisdom to do what is right by you, to ever speak truth to humanity and to act with justice in all our deeds.May we never waiver nor default in our utter worship of you.Masha Allah, we shall honour you forever, always praise you in the highest and tightly secure ourselves to your everlasting rope of love and mercy until end time.—Adewale Adeeyo, OON
Halal & Haram
Allah, (S.W.T) has set limits to everything we do. Those who are informed about Islam k
- …Seek import waivers
The Chairman of Association of Accredited Speed Limiters Vendors in Nigeria, Alhaji Ibrahim Askirama, has disclosed that over two million jobs can be created by companies dealing on vehicle speed limiting device in the country in the next two years.
Alhaji Askirama, who is also the Managing Disrector of Total Unique Services Limited, one of the accredited vendors for the distribution and installation of speed limiter in the country said that apart from saving lives, t
- Primary schools throughout Nigeria resumed for the first term of the current school year shortly after the Sallah holidays in September 2016, with many Nigerians eager to see the commencement of school feeding involving 5.5 million pupils nationwide.
School feeding was one of the major programmes for which N500 billion was budgeted for 2016. Before the resumption of schools, the Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, flanked by two All Progressive Congress (APC) governors had pronounced
- …I caught her with my brother in a hotel—Husband
…He was helping me book a room—WifeBy Bartholomew Madukwe
LAGOS—A trader, Mrs Funmilayo Okeeyi, has explained to an Igando Customary Court in Lagos, why she followed her husband’s brother to a hotel, which is now threatening her 31-year-old marriage to Mr. Kolawole Okeeyi.
Funmilayo claimed her husband’s family beat her comatose when she was pregnant with her fifth baby.
According to her, “my husba
- By Nwabueze Okonkwo & Chimaobi Nwaiwu
The Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, and its Directorate of State, DOS, yesterday described as a welcome development, the call by Southern Nigeria Peoples Assembly, SNPA, on President Muhammadu Buhari to release its leader and Director of Radio Biafra, Mr. Nnamdi Kanu, and other Biafra activists detained by the Federal Government.
Demonstrators from the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) group wave flags and hold a sign reading “Freedom for Biafr
- By Anayo Okoli
UMUAHIA—ABIA State chapter of All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), has lashed out at Governor Okezie Ikpeazu, accusing him of abandoning governance and spending more time outside the State.
The party lamented that it was “pained by the obvious abandonment of governance by the Okezie Ikpeazu-led government”, insisting that the governor has no direction and that nothing was moving in the State.
Briefing journalists at its secretariat, the State
- By Monsur Olowoopejo
AS part of measures to eliminate multiple taxes, Lagos State Government has unveiled plans to streamline collection of taxes and other revenues.
Commissioner for Finance, Dr. Mustapha Akinkunmi, who disclosed this at a Stakeholders’ Forum on Taxation and Revenue Generation in Ikeja, said the move is to ensure easy payment of taxes in the state.
He said, “The issue of multiple taxes must stop in Lagos State. This is one of the issues that residents of Lagos often
- The Olu Epe of Epe Kingdom, Oba Shefiu Olatunji Adewale, has said that the ongoing Kayokayo festival is an annual religious and cultural festival cum carnival observed by the descendants of Oba Kosoko, who inhabited the area notably referred to as Eko-Epe in Epe.
The festival which began last week in Epe will be rounded up tomorrow with boat ride symbolic of Prophet Noah ark.
The festival is celebrated during the first month of the Islamic calendar in commemoration of ‘Yaom-al Ashura&rsquo
- By Festus Ahon
ASABA—DELTA State Traditional Rulers Council has called on the state government to stop the creation of new kingdoms in the state and installation of unauthorized persons as traditional rulers without recourse to the law.
The monarchs, in their resolutions at their inaugural meeting in Asaba, also condemned the act in very strong terms, saying that the purported carving out of a kingdom from Akubene-mien, Bomadi Local Government Area of the state and installation of a king,
- By Patrick Omorodion
As the November 12 date for the must-win 2018 World Cup qualifier against Algeria approaches, the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF wants to ensure that the Super Eagles get the complement of a full house of supporters to ginger them to victory.
As a result, the NFF has swung into action to ensure that the Football Supporters Club currently factionalised go to Uyo as one body to support the Eagles as a divided house may cause distraction for the team and derail their World Cu
- By Dayo JohnsonTHIRTY-SIX days to the governorship election in Ondo state, the ruling Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, is still encumbered by legal battles that have unsettled major players.
The legal battle over the national leadership of the party has snowballed to the state creating confusion and uncertainty as the November 26 election approaches.
Disciples of the two warring leaders in the state are equally flexing muscles to outwit one another.
Governor Olusegun Mimiko is leading the Senator
- By Emma Amaize, Regional Editor, South- South & Perez BrisibeIT was not surprising that the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF, Engr, Babachir Lawal, at a fence-mending meeting, October 10 in Abuja, gave the Minister of State (Petroleum), Dr. Ibe Kachikwu, the imprimatur to take his position as leader of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in Delta State, being that he is the highest political office holder from the state.
The move was apparently aimed at saving the par
- Gernot Rohr has said he will not pick players he describes as “vacation players” who have failed to fight for first-team places after two invitations.
“Some players have been invited for two matches but have yet to push for a place in the first team and now we wish to invite fresh players to do what they could not do,” Rohr said.“The time is gone when a player comes for two matches, collects bonuses, allowances and ticket refund and does not measure up.
- By Innocent Anaba
A Federal High Court sitting in Lagos, yesterday, adjourned till December 8, 2016, to hear the suit by the Federal Government against Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nig. Limited and its subsidiary, Shell Western Supply and Trading Limited, over alleged crude oil theft.
Counsel to the Federal Government in the suit is Prof. Fabian Ajogwu, SAN.
The case was adjourned following the absence of the trial judge, Justice Mojisola Olatoregun.
The plaintiff has, meanwhile,
- Do you seek a Muslim life partner?
Welcome to Muslim SoulMates in Vanguard. A unique platform for single Muslims who wish to find their potential marriage partners on this page. We have designed it to help you find perfect soul mates every Friday.
We will also give counsel where necessary in order to keep with the halal standard. Our aim is to further develop couples that could be blessed, compatible, enduring following Islamic injunctions. It promises to be a rewarding service just as we will t
- By Emman Ovuakporie & Johnbosco Agbakwuru
ABUJA—THE House of Representatives, yesterday, lamented that most of the oil companies operating in the Niger Delta region lack the commitment to develop the communities in which they operate.
Consequently, the House has directed its Committees on the Niger Delta Development Commission, NDDC, Ministry of Niger Delta and Local Content to engage all the major oil ventures operating in the Niger Delta region and government agencies concerned to ag
- Like the Peugeot 301 and 508 which have become household names in Nigeria, Peugeot Automobiles has another joker for its Nigerian customers. The new 3008 which was unveiled at the just concluded Paris Motor show has sent tongue wagging with its array of innovations, especially with its transformation from multi-purpose vehicle to Sport Utility vehicle.
As if Peugeot has the Nigerian roads in mind, it has turned the 3008 to a class benchmark in all ramifications, be it off road capability, fuel e
- By Anayo Okoli
UMUAHIA—GREGORY University, Uturu, Abia State, a private university, will tomorrow pass out its first set of 72 graduates with four making first class.
Also, at the ceremony, the Vice President of Liberia, Joseph Boakai, would be among those to be conferred with an honorary degree by the university, including Chief Jack Liu of Startimes and an Israeli, Mr. Moshe Moale.
The founder of the university, Dr. Greg Ibe, would also be installed as the Chancellor of the u
- By Peter Okutu
ABAKALIKI—EBONYI State government, yesterday, said it has demoted four secondary school principals for what it described as ‘gross misconduct.’
The state Commissioner for Education, Professor John Eke, who stated this while addressing newsmen in his office in Abakaliki, added that the demoted principals demonstrated acts incon-sistent with their mandate.
He said the ministry was investigating the sex scandal rocking some schools across the state, adding that one
- By Abdulwahab Abdulah
Former first lady, Mrs Patience Jonathan has dragged Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) to court over alleged ‘campaign of calumny’ against her person perpetrated by the non governmental organisation.
In the suit filed before a Federal High Court sitting in Lagos, through a youth organisation—Union of Niger Delta Youth Organization for Equity, Justice and Good Governance suing for themselves and on behalf of Mrs Dame Patience Jonathan
- By Gladys Ezeagu
Burutu Local Government Area of Delta State, has awarded contracts for the construction of various people-oriented projects in the 20 wards that make up the council.
Chairman of the council, Chief Ebikeme Clark, who disclosed this in Warri, yesterday, explained that the construction of landing jetties, toilets, bore-holes and street lights, among others, in the 20 wards of the council was based on inputs from councilors representing the wards.
- •Ashafa advocates NDLEA Act amendment
By Kelechukwu Iruoma
THE United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, UNODC, in its Drug World Report 2016 reported that there has been a significant increase in the rate of drug abuse globally.
*Senator AshafaThe report, however, suggested that the number of people classified as suffering from drug use disorders has increased disproportionally for the first time in six years.
In the report, it was revealed that 49.5 percent of Africans between 15-64 years
- By Festus Ahon
ASABA—A political leader in Ndokwa/Ukwuani axis of Delta State, Rear-Admiral Mike Onah (retd), has called on political office holders to pay attention to the needs and aspirations of their constituents, saying that such a step would bridge the gap between them and their supporters.
Onah, who is also a chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, said that political office holders should always live up to the billing of their office through openness and accessibility, whic
- By Olasunkanmi Akoni
lAST Tuesday, Lagos State Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode held the Third Quarter 2016 Town Hall Meeting, the fifth in the series, at the Ultra Modern Indoor Sports Hall, Teslim Balogun Stadium, Surulere to render account of his administration’s tenure so far in the state.
AMBODEThe carnival-like event, which was a realignment of old horses in the progressives and the new generation, was witnessed by captains of industry, All Progressives Congress, APC, chieftains
- By Jimitota Onoyume & Perez Brisibe
PORT HARCOURT—ALL Progressives Congress, APC, in Rivers State has called on Justice Inyang Okoro of the Supreme Court, to retract his allegation of bribery levelled against Minister of Transportation, Mr Chibuike Amaechi, within seven days or risk law suit.
Chairman of the party, Mr Davies Ikanya, in a statement by his media aide, alleged that the bribery allegation by the apex court justice against Amaechi violated the Corrupt Practices and other Re
- Sokoto State Arabic and Islamic Education Board, has disbursed N20 million as grant to proprietors of some Islamic Schools, clerics and Islamic organisations in the state.
Alhaji Ahmad Baba-Altine, the Executive Secretary of the board, made the disclosure recently in a chat with newsmen in Sokoto.
He said that Gov. Aminu Tambuwal approved the grant two weeks ago.
He said that the money would assist the beneficiaries in running their schools and organisations.
“The grant is in addition to t
- Whether they are dating or not, popular Nigerian music acts Falz and Simi share very amazing chemistry. Not only that, they also find the most
- Nigeria’s Super Eagles have moved four places up in the October world football rankings released by FIFA yesterday.
With two straight wins against Tanzania in the Africa Cup of Nations qualifier and Zambia in the FIFA World Cup qualifier, the Super Eagles jumped from their 64th placing previously to berth at the 60th spot.
They occupy the 11th position on the African rankings, where Cote’d Ivoire still maintains its number one position. Senegal, Algeria, Tunisia, Ghana, Egypt, Congo,
- By Donu KogbaraKen Saro-Wiwa Junior, the eldest son of the Ogoni author and activist whose 1995 execution sent shockwaves around the world, passed away, aged only 47, on Tuesday. And I am more devastated than mere words can ever express.
I had Issues with his Dad, Ken Senior, but was appalled when Abacha brutally killed him. Meanwhile, I had no reservations whatsoever about Ken Junior, who was very clever, very kind-hearted, very civilized, very principled, very responsible, very mature (even as
- By Chinonso Alozie
Owerri—Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo State and his Abia State counterpart, Governor Okezie Ikpeazu, have declared that the oil-producing states should be given adequate attention.
They made their position known in Owerri, during the Niger Delta Development Forum, NDDF, powered by the Partnership Initiative for Niger Delta, PIND.
Governor Rochas Okorocha who was represented by his Deputy, Eze Madumere, said the region was in dire need of assistance to help it find
- By Daud Olatunji
FOLLOWING the demise of the Akarigbo and paramount ruler of Remoland, Oba Michael Adeniyi Sonariwo, the office of the Chairman of Ogun State Council of Obas became vacant.
Governor of Ogun State, Senator Ibikunle AmosunConsequently, the state governor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun inaugurated the Olu of Ilaro and paramount ruler of Yewaland, Oba Kehinde Olugbenle, as the new chairman of the state Council of Obas.
But, the state governor while inaugurating the new chairman
- By Emeka Mamah
ENUGU—There are strong indications that the ongoing investigations by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, into the N450 million campaign funds involving former governor of Enugu State, Mr. Sullivan Chime, and two former Chairmen of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in the state, Chief Charles Egumgbe and Ikeje Asogwa among others, would linger for some time following disagreements betwen the suspects in their statements.
ChimeEFCC sources said that the Enu
- By Innocent Anaba
A Federal High Court sitting in Lagos, has adjourned till October 26, to hear the suit by 16 senior officers of the Nigerian Police
- By Gbenga Olarinoye
This year’s Olojo Festival may have come and gone but not the indelible imprints it has left in the minds of the people,
- By Chinenyeh Ozor
Enugu State Electricity Distribution Company (EEDC) staff attached to Nsukka metropolis of the company was yesterday electrocuted in the University town of Nsukka
- The wife of the President, Aisha Buhari has dedicated an award she received at the Belgian capital, Brussels, to the Nigerian military men and women.
- By Godfrey Bivbere & Ifeyinwa Obi
Twenty-nine senior officers of the Nigeria Customs Service have been dismissed for various acts of gross misconduct.The dismissed officers
- By Olasunkanmi Akoni and Monsur Olowoopejo
Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State and the National Security Adviser, NSA, Major-General Babagana Monguno (retd), have stressed the need
- By Festus Ahon & Ochuko Akuopha
ASABA—Delta State Police Command has arrested two suspected child traffickers for alleged theft of a five-year-old female pupil of Skyset
- – Paul Pogba’s double helped Man Utd to an Europa League win
– Anthony Martial and Lingard scored in a 4 – 1 win for United
- – The Senate says the fear of plane crashes in Nigeria is real due to foreign exchange crisis
– Senator Akpabio blames problems faced by the
- Super Cool Cats boss Ice Prince has finally unveiled the track list of his third studio album ‘Jos To The World’.J2TW album is set to
Follow @GeneralNews_NGR on Twitter!