Teenage rookie Lance Stroll believes that Felipe Massa being drafted in as his teammate at Williams, to replace Mercedes bound Valtteri Bottas, is the ideal solution for his rookie Formula 1 season.
Stroll told Journal de Montreal, “I am convinced that many racing fans are happy with the decision made by Felipe. I’ve known him for several months, actually since I accepted a role as a development driver last year.”
“It was the perfect solution to fill the seat after
- It would be fair to say that Marcus Ericsson has not set the Formula 1 world alight in his 56 grand prix starts to date, now this season he will be paired with highly rated Pascal Wehrlein, and the Swede is relishing the opportunity to measure up against the German in the Sauber team.
Ericsson told the official F1 website, “I think it’s great news for me and Sauber. Pascal is a very fast and respected driver with a great CV. I think we can really push each other and the team forward
- Bernie Ecclestone has cast doubt over his long-standing Formula One reign after the sport’s governing body approved the sale of its commercial rights to Liberty Media.
Chief executive Ecclestone, who turns 87 in October, has ruled Formula One for 40 years.
But American company Liberty may now choose to put their own team in place after clearing the final hurdle of their purchase, valued at more than £6bn, with a unanimous vote of approval from the FIA.
American Chase Carey, the 21st
- Red Bull consultant Helmut Marko says that Mercedes chose to avoid the brave path when deciding to choose Valtteri Bottas instead of Pascal Wehrlein to replace retired Nico Rosberg in the world champion team.
Wehrlein is the product of Mercedes’ junior driver programme, while Bottas is a high cost transfer from Williams.
Marko, who has run the Red Bull young driver programme which produced the likes of Sebastian Vettel and Daniel Ricciardo, told motorsport-magazin, “With us it would
- Formula One’s new owner Liberty Media is still hoping that competing teams will buy a stake in the sport once a takeover is completed and will reserve $400 million of shares for them, it said on Thursday.
“We think it’s important to offer the teams the chance to invest in F1 and further align our interests,” said Greg Maffei, Liberty’s president and Chief Executive, in a statement.
“We look forward to working with the teams to increase the appeal of this icon
- Formula One world champions Mercedes have recruited British teenager George Russell as the third member of their young driver programme, joining established F1 racers Pascal Wehrlein and Esteban Ocon.
Russell, 18, will compete in the GP3 feeder series this year with the ART team.
“George has shown impressive form in the junior categories and we’ve been keeping a close eye on him for a while now,” said Mercedes F1 head Toto Wolff on Thursday. “It’s still early days
- Renault Sport managing director and the French team’s former driver Kevin Magnussen are engaged in a war of words in the aftermath of the Dane’s departure from the French team to join Haas.
Abiteboul told Auto Hebdo recently, “I was disappointed with Magnussen. Disappointed with his performances and his behaviour. He is a talented race driver but lacks the discipline and very often he made excuses.”
Magnussen responded in an interview with Sky Sport, “I think
- "I’m working with people who are the best in the business," @GeorgeRussell63 💬f1.com/Russell-Merc
- Well would you look at the time: it’s “bail out Manor” o’clock. Again.
If the story of F1 in the 2010’s has been the dominance of two teams at the front end of the field, an underrated subplot has been its complete inability to sustain the teams at the back.
Nothing exemplifies that better than Manor’s current predicament, which is just further proof that the sport is in desperate need of change.
Kicking off 2017 by entering administration for the second time
ICYMI: @Ericsson_Marcus l👀ks ahead to #F1 2017 New owners = ✅ New teammate = ✅ Fit and confident = ✅ Q&A >>… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…ICYMI: @Ericsson_Marcus l👀ks ahead to #F1 2017New owners = ✅ New teammate = ✅ Fit and confident = ✅Q&A >>… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…
- "You came like a torpedo..." 👀 "Well that's racing!" 😅 #F1AtoZ https://t.co/iMWl7FwqIe
- Ecclestone casts doubt over his F1 future
#TBT: When Benetton unveiled its 2001 #F1 car in St Mark's Square in Venice! 🏛🇮🇹 Spot a young @JensonButton,… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…#TBT: When Benetton unveiled its 2001 #F1 car in St Mark's Square in Venice! 🏛🇮🇹Spot a young @JensonButton,… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…
- .@GeorgeRussell63 joins @MercedesAMGF1 junior programme f1.com/Russell-Merc
"My aim is to beat Pascal - I expect it to be a tough fight" - @Ericsson_Marcus 💬 Exclusive Q&A >>… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…"My aim is to beat Pascal -I expect it to be a tough fight" - @Ericsson_Marcus 💬Exclusive Q&A >>… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…
- Magnussen feels he has been 'unlucky' in F1 up to now
Happy Birthday, @JensonButton 🎂🎉 (📸 2000) The 2009 #F1 World Champion is 37 today! 🎁 https://t.co/p5GZzDGoELHappy Birthday, @JensonButton 🎂🎉 (📸 2000)The 2009 #F1 World Champion is 37 today! 🎁 https://t.co/p5GZzDGoEL
- Felipe Massa cut short the briefest ever retirement to return to the team he ‘left’ at the end of 2016 to replace Mercedes bound Valtteri Bottas, and with it revealing to team chief Claire Williams that in fact he did not want to quit Formula 1.
Word is the Brazilian who earned around $4.5-million a year at Williams, in 2015 and 2016, is now going to bank $6-million for his services alongside well financed teenage rookie Lance Stroll in 2017.
In the wake of Massa’s confi
- Pirelli have been granted an extra preseason wet weather test this year, in an effort to improve the performance of the tyres which were not popular Formula 1 drivers in 2016.
The prospect of standing starts for wet races has also compounded the importance of providing a tyre that is up to the task.
Pirelli has lobbied for an extra wet tyre test and following a meeting on Tuesday of the F1 Commission meeting, in Geneva, their request was granted. They will run an extra single car wet test befor
- Willi Weber, who was once a permanent figure at the side of Michael Schumacher especially during the Formula 1 legends’ early career, has accused the Schumacher family of hiding facts.
Weber told Bunte magazine, “For a while now, I have been saying that the Schumacher family is not telling the whole truth about his condition.”
“It’s time to pour pure wine for his millions of fans. But I’m biting on granite, because for a long time my advice is no longer heard
- The Finnish government has never before appointed anyone as an Ambassador for Sport, but it did so at a Sport Gala, held in Helsinki on Tuesday 17 January.
The recipient was none other than Kimi Raikkonen, who received the honour from Prime Minister Juha Sipila. Kimi’s presence at the gala had been kept secret right up until the last moment.
“I’m not that used to making formal speeches,” said Raikkonen. “But I would like to wish all the best to the winners in every
- Mercedes motorsport chief Toto Wolff has admitted that Valtteri Bottas was not the first driver to jump to mind when a replacement for retired Nico Rosberg became an issue, as he considered promoting Pascal Wehrlein.
Wolff explained to La Gazzetta dello Sport the process with regards to finding the right driver for the team, “First off, it was necessary to evaluate all the options we had on the driver market and of course we needed an experienced and fast driver.”
- Former McLaren, Renault and Caterham driver Heikki Kovalainen revealed that he shot of an email to Claire Williams requesting her to consider him to replace Mercedes bound Valtteri Bottas in the team.
Kovalainen told MTV, “I sent Claire an email, but they obviously had other plans. Probably many other drivers sent the same message…”
In his 111 F1 race starts, Kovalainen won a single grand prix when he powered to victory driving a McLaren in Hungary, in 2008. Last year he was
- Wolff: Mercedes keeping 2018 driver options open
- ICYMI: Unforgettable Villeneuve 🇨🇦The story of Gilles' fairytale first #F1 winf1.com/Gilles-Win
- Triple Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton supported Mercedes’ decision to hire Valtteri Bottas early on and the team can hope for fewer fireworks between their drivers this season, boss Toto Wolff said on Wednesday.
Bottas has joined from Williams to take the place of Germany’s Nico Rosberg, who retired in December days after winning his first title. The Finn’s arrival was announced on Monday.
“We had a chat with Lewis before Christmas… and he said he thoug
- FIA approves sale of F1 to Liberty Media
- .@danielricciardo... this one is for you! 👞🍾😬#F1AtoZ https://t.co/gOxvLAAwRF
2017 #F1 LAUNCH DATES 🗓 Feb 21: @RenaultSportF1 Feb 22: @ForceIndiaF1 Feb 23: @MercedesAMGF1 Feb 24:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…2017 #F1 LAUNCH DATES 🗓Feb 21: @RenaultSportF1 Feb 22: @ForceIndiaF1 Feb 23: @MercedesAMGF1 Feb 24:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…
#OTD IN 1940: 2-time #F1 winner Pedro Rodriguez is born in Mexico 🇲🇽 The @mexicogp circuit is named after Pedro an… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…#OTD IN 1940: 2-time #F1 winner Pedro Rodriguez is born in Mexico 🇲🇽The @mexicogp circuit is named after Pedro an… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…
- Haas keeping options open on 2017 brake supplier
- Liberty takeover continues apace
Gilles Villeneuve - his maiden #F1 win remembered "This is the happiest day of my life" 🏆 🇨🇦 '78 >>… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…Gilles Villeneuve - his maiden #F1 win remembered"This is the happiest day of my life" 🏆🇨🇦 '78 >>… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…
Happy Birthday, Gilles Villeneuve 🇨🇦 "I will drive flat out all the time, I love racing!" 💬 The Canadian would ha… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…Happy Birthday, Gilles Villeneuve 🇨🇦"I will drive flat out all the time, I love racing!" 💬The Canadian would ha… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…
- Liberty shareholders approve F1 takeover
- WATCH: From 1️⃣0️⃣ to 1️⃣! The BEST overtakes of 2016 👀youtu.be/i5DMrBU4oWA
.@MassaFelipe19 joins an illustrious list of #F1 winners who have cancelled their retirement plans >>… twitter.com/i/web/status/8….@MassaFelipe19 joins an illustrious list of #F1 winners who have cancelled their retirement plans >>… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…
- No description available... More »
- F1 News Liberty Media take big step toward final acquisition of F1 A one-year deal for Bottas? Formula1blog.com Podcast #508 It's official: Bottas to Merc, Massa to Williams, Wehrlein to Sauber Could Ferrari follow Audi, VW out of racing over EPA... More »
- The FIA has requested all circuits on the Formula 1 calendar undergo upgrades to cater for the new faster 2017 specification cars More »
- Liberty Media's plans to take control of Formula 1 took a further step forward on Tuesday as stockholders voted in favor of its proposed bid, and approved a name change to “Formula One Group". The American media company, which already had a... More »
- Ahead of the season opener in Australia for the 2017 Formula 1 season, the Albert Park Circuit will be changed to accommodate the faster F1 cars. The Australian Circuit is set to see an increase of mid-corner speeds between 20 and 50 km/h on... More »
- Cyril Abiteboul was disappointed by the performance of Kevin Magnussen during the 2016 Formula 1 season. Magnussen rejoined the F1 grid in 2016 with Renault Sport F1 Team, after he was demoted to reserve driver with McLaren Honda Racing in 2015 to... More »
- The Renault Sport F1 Team will not have a new team principal, with some of the remaining members of the outfit sharing the responsibilities, according to Cyril Abiteboul. On Wednesday, it was confirmed that Fred Vasseur would resign from his role... More »
- Rosberg looking forward to watching Bottas/Hamilton battle
- F1 News A one-year deal for Bottas? Formula1blog.com Podcast #508 It's official: Bottas to Merc, Massa to Williams, Wehrlein to Sauber Could Ferrari follow Audi, VW out of racing over EPA fines? Vasseur: Hulkenberg ‘major hurdle' in leaving... More »
- XPB Images
Honda will be supplying a second customer from 2018, and given the power unit contracts of its rivals currently, the logical customer of choice is Sauber. Indeed the Swiss outfit has not renewed its engine contract with... More »
- New Mercedes driver Valtteri Bottas says he is "hungry" for success at the team following his switch from Williams for the 2017 season. More »
- 6️⃣8️⃣ days to go until... 6️⃣8️⃣th #F1 season 🙌Who will be king in 2017? https://t.co/HKoNn5CmPv
- XPB Images
Nico Rosberg chimed in for the first time since Valtteri Bottas' nomination as his replacement at Mercedes. The 2016 world champion spoke during a Facebook live session at a presentation in Geneva for Mercedes AMG F1 partner... More »