Within weeks of India taking Cyprus off its tax blacklist with retrospective effect from November 2013, President Nicos Anastasiades of the island nation today called for more bilateral trade and co-operation with it.
The post Cyprus keen on boosting bilateral trade: Nicos Anastasiades appeared first on The Financial Express.
- Temasek eyes to acquire 75% stake in Manipal Hospitals
- Work on replacing old girders and the Scherzer span on the over 100-year-old Pamban rail bridge here would begin in September and be completed within three months, a railways official said today.The post Girders, Scherzer span on 100-year old Pamban bridge to be replaced in September appeared first on The Financial Express.
- India's Rs 2,500 an hour aam aadmi flight takes off tomorrow
- Investors will be permitted to purchase mutual funds worth up to Rs 50,000 through digital wallets with the market regulator Sebi today approving the proposal.
- Sebi gives final clearance to options in commodities
- Tata Motors have announced readiness of SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) and EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) technologies for BSIV compliant engines, powering its range of commercial vehicles.EGR technology adopted by Tata Motors in 2010 will continue to power small-to-medium category of commercial vehicles with engine power requirements up to 180HP.EGR helps to reduce NOx emissions from the engine.
- Axis Bank reports 43% YoY drop in Q4 net at Rs 1,220 crore, but beats Street estimates
- The commerce and industry ministry is working on fixing the nuts and bolts of a policy to give preference to domestically manufactured goods in government procurement with a view to promoting Make in India.
- The benchmark BSE Sensex closed up 0.63 percent at a record closing high of 30,133.35.
- Sensex scales Mt 30K for first time; BSE m-cap soars to Rs 125 lakh crore
- Asia Pacific's energy, mining and utilities (EMU) sector focused merger and acquisition jumped three fold in the first quarter this year, with Australia emerging as the most popular target, says a Mergermarket report.The post Asia Pacific’s energy, mining, utilities M&A jumps 3-fold in Q1 appeared first on The Financial Express.
- As many as 800 Indian companies in the UK have generated 47.5 billion pounds in combined revenues last year and contributed significantly to post-Brexit Britain's economic growth, according to a new report.
- President Donald Trump has sent to the Senate Indian-American Vishal J Amin's name to be the US' new Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator.
- Messaging app WhatsApp is working on solutions to enable businesses to use its platform to connect with consumers and India will play a "crucial role" for the product, a company official said on Wednesday.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has underlined the need for a consolidated approach and adherence to strict timelines with regard to completion of infrastructure projects as he reviewed progress of sectors like roads, railways, airports and digital.
- A Special court on Wednesday reserved verdict in 2G spectrum allocation case involving former Minister A Raja, DMK MP Kanimozhi and others, for July 15.
- Vice President M. Hamid Ansari on Wednesday said upcoming technologies like manufacturing of robotics and improved cost-efficiency in renewable energy will reshape geopolitics.
The post Future technologies will reshape geopolitics: M. Hamid Ansari appeared first on The Financial Express.
- China is considering special import duties on sugar as part of an anti-dumping probe, according to two people familiar with the matter, in what would be a win for domestic producers seeking help battling cheap imports from Brazil and other major growers.
- The bank is attempting to show investors it can return to growth, after a sweeping restructuring under Chief Executive Bill Winters succeeded in cutting costs but also slashed revenues.
- Microsoft founder and billionaire philanthropist Bill Gates has lauded Prime Minister Narendra Modi for his Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan.
- The panel, comprising three judges of international repute, has also turned down India’s application for bifurcation of the issue of whether tax is covered under India-UK bilateral investment protection treaty.
- Jaitley said that as per the constitutional allocation of powers, the central government has no jurisdiction to impose tax on agricultural income.
- No plans to impose tax on agriculture income: Arun Jaitley
- Apple`s plans to replace OLED with micro-LED in 2017 Apple Watch 3 and iPhones has raised concerns in Samsung as Apple`s expected use of Samsung OLED screens for a new iPhone model this year may only be temporary.
- Singapore's industrial production rose faster than expected in March from a year earlier, thanks to a continued surge in the electronics sector, data showed on Wednesday, pointing to a possible upward revision in the city-state's first quarter GDP.The post Strong Singapore March factory output points to Q1 GDP revision appeared first on The Financial Express.
- Fiat Chrysler and Google for the first time will offer rides to the public in the self-driving vehicles they are building under an expanding partnership.
- Asian stocks extended gains for a fifth consecutive day on Wednesday, as renewed optimism about the world`s biggest economy brightened the outlook for risky assets while the euro held on to previous gains as political concerns in France ebbed.
- Finance minister Arun Jaitley is likely to limit the tax rate on services at 12 and and 18 percent.
- Premji has been appointed chairman and managing director for a period of two years effective July 31, subject to member approval. Premji has been at the helm of Wipro since the late 1960s, and has turned a $2-million hydrogenated cooking fat company into an Indian IT powerhouse.
- The benchmark BSE Sensex crossed 30,000-mark by climbing almost 100 points in early session on Wednesday as sentiments rose on the back of counting of votes showing BJP set for big win.
- We are at the beginning of the transformation of Wipro. There’s secular growth and that gives me confidence. In Q1, we had specific headwinds in healthcare and retail. In general, our engine is firing well, but there are market uncertainties and it’s the same for the whole industry. We should be on track in the next four quarters, said Wipro CEO Abidali Neemuchwala.
- The market rally comes after a string of solid domestic quarterly results, while hopes for additional foreign inflows to India have increased on renewed optimism about the US economy and after the first round of an election in France went to the market's preferred candidate.
- In the battle for fees, banks should realise that maximising profits is a short-term game and a fair game could sow the seeds of long-term profits.
- Sensex at all-time high, crosses 30K; Nifty holds above 9,300
- The Donald Trump-Justin Trudeau conversation comes a day after the US Department of Commerce determined the need to impose countervailing duties of roughly $1 billion on Canadian softwood lumber exports to the US.
- US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross on Wednesday said there has been no serious discussions on India-US free trade agreement though the Trump administration has no inherent objection over the pact.
- “A bad bank is a difficult thing to do... Public-owned ARC is often called the bad bank. Private-owned ARC ultimately can be more effective,“ NITI Aayog vice-chairman Arvind Panagariya told `Bad Bank Not Feasible' a news conference on Tuesday.
- "English is over. There are only 200 million Indians who are proficient in English and they are already on the internet," Rajan Anandan, VP for Google's India and South-East Asian operations, told TOI while speaking about the next phase of internet usage growth in India.
- Government think tank NITI Aayog has suggested that farmers' income above a threshold be taxed to expand the taxpayer base and check the generation of black money through camouflaging of other income as agricultural income.
The post NITI favours taxing farm income above a threshold appeared first on The Financial Express.
- As ONGC Videsh’s (OVL) licence to explore Block 128 in the South China Sea is set to expire soon, the firm has commenced talks with the national oil company (NOC) of Vietnam, PetroVietnam, for a risk-sharing agreement to drill the hydrocarbon block.The post OVL looking for risk-sharing pact to drill hydrocarbon block in South China Sea appeared first on The Financial Express.
- Petroleum minister Dharmendra Pradhan's tweet on April 21 regarding home delivery of petroleum products may have taken many by surprise, but the actual implementation of the programme is likely to take some time.
The post Plan for home delivery of petro products to take time appeared first on The Financial Express.
- Reflecting progress in the government’s ‘One Nation, On Grid, One Price’ initiative, a uniform single price was discovered at the exchange for 28 days in the fiscal.
The post FY17 spot electricity market sees rise in volume, fall in rates appeared first on The Financial Express.
- The government may be planning to have power for all by 2019, but a report released on Tuesday said densely populated and low-income countries like India may find it difficult to meet their electricity energy needs with zero-carbon power in the short term.
The post Report: India may find it tough to meet its electricity needs appeared first on The Financial Express.
- Allaying the fears of businesses over numerous returns to be filed under the proposed Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime, revenue secretary Hasmukh Adhia on Tuesday clarified that a business will need to file only one return every month in addition to an annual return.
The post GST compliance burden: Revenue secretary allays Hasmukh Adhia fears appeared first on The Financial Express.
- The Tariff Authority for Major Ports (TAMP) is likely to relax its guidelines for the construction of three new berths at Haldia Port under the Kolkata Port Trust (KoPT) after the failure of the trust's bidding process last year.The post TAMP likely to relax guidelines for building new berths at Haldia Port appeared first on The Financial Express.
- A boardroom battle in Kolkata-based Usha Martin on Tuesday witnessed Prashant Jhawar, the chairman and one of the main promoters of the wire rope and speciality steel manufacturing firm, being removed by the board with the support of lenders.
- Unlike WeWork which takes up huge spaces, Awfis says it differentiates itself by being a 350-400 seater, neighbourhood co-working centre.
- Exelon Infrastructure, its promoter, six directors and 16 other entities from the capital markets for up to 5 years for indulging in fraudulent trade practices have been banned by Sebi.
- Mahindra and Mahindra Financial Services (Mahindra Finance) has reported a fall of 37 per cent in standalone net profit at Rs 234 crore for the last quarter ended March.
Follow @India_Economy_ on Twitter!