Times of India
Mumbai lawyer Afroz Shah to receive top UN environment award for Versova Beach clean-up
Times of India
NEW DELHI: The largest beach clean-up in the world would be a reward in itself. But for spearheading it, Mumbai-based lawyer Afroz Shah has been named as one of winners of the top environmental honour of the United Nations. Shah will be among those ...and more »
West Milford school trustees back pro-environment push
Workers mount the roof of the high school in this Oct. 25 photo. Board members are still unsure about a solar project on the high school roof after both buildings received new roofs in a $6 million project a few months ago. (Photo: Joe Sarno ...
- NFK members to get training in environment conservation
Times of India
Nagpur: The city kids on Sunday will have an opportunity to experience hands-on environmental conservation training. In the light of growing pollution and looming threat of climate change, Arranya Paryavaran Sanstha has organized a child development ...
- Dhaka Tribune
Will it save the environment?
Every day city dwellers dump a huge amount of plastic dusts such as water bottles, glasses, cups, pots, bags and packets that are not biodegradable. As a result, the plastic wastes are clogging the city's drains and poisoning the environment. But it ...
- Street Meat Is Pretty Bad For The Environment & Our Lungs, Oh Well
It's a New York City right of passage to bear the Eau du Street Meat scent after walking through a plume of scorched chicken grease on a Midtown sidewalk. The charcoal-cooked meats might be a city staple, but pollution caused by the grills has alarming ...
Pictures of the year: Environment
A salt lake which is separated by a road, shows parts of it in different colours due to algae, in Yuncheng, Shanxi Province, China, September 25, 2016. REUTERS/Wei Liang. Reuters / Tuesday, September 27, 2016. A salt lake which is separated by a road, ...
Land reclamation in Malaysia puts environment, endangered turtle at risk
A slew of artificial islands being constructed in the Strait of Malacca threaten nesting sites for the critically endangered hawksbill turtle. Land reclamation in Malaysia puts environment, endangered turtle at risk. With technology bringing ...
- New Scientist
Europe's green energy policy is a disaster for the environment
The European Union's proposals for revising its renewable energy policies are greenwashing and don't solve the serious flaws, say environmental groups. The EU gets 65 per cent of its renewable energy from biofuels – mainly wood – but it is failing to ...
- The Boston Globe
Time for corporate America to stand up for the environment
The Boston Globe
Sean Gallup/Getty Images. Protesters critical of Donald Trump, including one holding a sign labeling Trump climate policy advisor and global warming skeptic Myron Ebell as a criminal, gather for a demonstration near the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin on Nov.
US businesses push against Trump's attempts to dismiss climate changeThe Guardian
Trump to scrap Nasa climate research in crackdown on 'politicized sci
- Times Now (press release)
'Environment Of Trust Deficit Between The Centre And Non-BJP States'
Times Now (press release)
West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee, on Friday launched an all out attack against the Centre and has used the Indian Army to do so. Banerjee stayed inside the Kolkata Secretariat for close to 20 hours, protesting against the routine annual exercise carried ...and more »
Environment Associations Take Minister to Court
The environment associations Landvernd and Fjöregg are taking Icelandic Minister for the Environment Sigrún Magnúsdóttir to court for failing to declare certain areas in Skútustaðahreppur district, North Iceland, as protected, RÚV reports. Sigrún ...
- Government of Jamaica, Jamaica Information Service
JCPD Calls for Barrier-Free Environment
Government of Jamaica, Jamaica Information Service
Executive Director of the Jamaica Council for Persons with Disabilities (JCPD), Christine Hendricks, brings greetings at the National Church Service launching Disabilities Awareness Week 2014, at Calvary Baptist Church Montego Bay on Sunday, November ...and more »
- The Tidings
40th Catholic-Jewish Women's Conference addresses faith and the environment
“We have to be able to give up a few of the entitlements we like so much so that the whole community of creation may thrive and we can experience communion with both Creator and creation.” -Sister Toni Nash ...
- Justice eludes for more than three decades32 years after the disaster, about 340 tonnes of hazardous waste remains dumped on the premise of the Union Carbide factory
NASA to Explore Marine Environment Using Intelligent Underwater Drones
NASA to use underwater smart drones to explore the marine environment. (Image: REUTERS/Toby Melville). NASA scientists are developing artificial intelligence for underwater drones that could be used to understand Earth's marine environments as well as ...and more »
- Bhopal must never be forgotten, indeed must be fixedBhopal gas tragedy exposed how systems of corporate liability remain grossly inadequate in a world that uses high-risk technology
- Farmer groups raise concerns about solutions proposed at COP 22The impacts of climate change on agriculture will continue to have significant implications for rural development, sustainable development and food security
- Subterranean LeakThe CSE tests had found high levels of groundwater and soil contamination in and around the Union Carbide factory
- Bhopal Gas Disaster: a tragedy in continuum32 years after the disaster, about 340 tonnes of hazardous waste remains dumped on the premise of the Union Carbide factory
- Antimicrobial resistance increasing yet data remains sparseData on some animal-sourced foods, associated with a growing number of food-borne illness outbreaks, was limited
- Washington Times
Dakota Access protesters accused of destroying environment in order to save it
People dump illegal waste at the Dakota Access Pipeline protest encampment. (Photo from North Dakota Department of Health). more >. View Comments Print. By Valerie Richardson - The Washington Times - Thursday, December 1, 2016. In the name of ...and more »
- This Sunday, ride for environment conservation
Times of India
Nashik: Cycle enthusiasts in the city will ride a distance of 100km on Sunday in a bid to promote environment conservation and create awareness about it. Starting from Golf Ground, the riders will go via Ghoti, Darna dam, Bhagur, Deolali, MetroZone ...
- BBC News
Trump's environment plans could spark opposition - BBC News
Proposals by the Trump administration to roll back US environmental regulations are likely to foment opposition, say analysts. The President-elect is likely to ...and more »
- via India Environment Portal | News, reports, documents, blogs, data, analysis on environment & development | India, South AsiaBhubaneswar: 15000 tribal students make human formation of red ribbon to mark the World AIDs Day in Bhubaneswar on Thursday (PTI)Union Health Minister J P Nadda on Thursday said around two decades
- via India Environment Portal | News, reports, documents, blogs, data, analysis on environment & development | India, South AsiaScientists have developed a new technology that uses nuclear waste to generate clean electricity in a nuclear-powered battery. Researchers from the University of Bristol in the UK have grown a man-made
- via India Environment Portal | News, reports, documents, blogs, data, analysis on environment & development | India, South AsiaSound levels at three major spots in the city are up to 75 decibel, above the maximum permissible limit of 50 decibel, according to a study.The Kochi chapter of the Indian Medical Association, which
- Rectified plan for taluka to be placed before TCP Board next week for approval; wildlife sanctuaries, forests and green cover restored on land planPANJIM: The State government is finally set to notify
- The Bombay high court on Thursday said Shivaji Park has become "a dumping ground" for celebrations even as it chided the state government for not implementing its orders on curbing noise. The park is a
- The garbage dump is causing serious health issues for people staying in the areas and may even have led to deaths.The Gujarat High Court on Wednesday issued notices to the state government, Ahmedabad
- AGRA: The National Green Tribunal on Wednesday stayed all sorts of construction activity on the river bed near the heritage ghats of Vrindavan till the next date of hearing, i.e. December 20.The tribunal
- JAIPUR: Naveen Jain, chief of state's unit of the National Health Mission (NHM), said at a meeting of stakeholders on the problem of malnutrition in Rajasthan that the programme of community-based management
- Cases of chikungunya and dengue-like viral diseases have made a comeback in the city, despite the onset of winter. In the last 15 days, the top five private hospitals have witnessed 10 such cases.Earlier,
- The consortium of IITs in Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee, was entrusted with the task of finalising a holistic Ganga River Basin Management (GRBM) programme.Multiplicity
- Moody's has upgraded the outlook for India's power sector to stable from negative in view of surge in domestic coal production and likely improvement in discoms' financial health due to UDAY scheme.
- The first 1,000-MWe reactor of Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project that commenced commercial power generation on October 22, 2013 has earned a profit of Rs. 1,000 crore (prior to tax) for the Nuclear Power
- The failure of the monsoons in the state for the second consecutive year has, besides driving farmers into despair, plunged the major urban centres - including the capital city Bengaluru - into a major
India's negotiating position on Montreal Protocol for protection of ozone layer in Rwanda approvedThe Union Cabinet has given its ex-post facto approval to the negotiating position adopted by the Government of India at the recent Meeting of Parties (MoP) to the Montreal Protocol of the Vienna Convention
- Hyderabad: Municipal commissioners will be given magisterial powers to penalise those throwing garbage, plastic and construction waste on the roads, illegally installing posters, banners or flexis, scrawling
- The government has decided to issue computerized health cards to 2.5 crore residents of the state and health data of every individual will be linked with unique identification issued by the Unique Identification
- MUMBAI: The much-delayed Mumbai Trans Harbour Link -a 22-km road bridge connecting the island city with Navi Mumbai -can finally take off with the Bombay high court granting MMRDA permission to cut mangroves
- BELAGAVI: The Karnataka government on Thursday signalled its willingness to go ahead with the controversial steel flyover project and explored options to get the stay imposed by a national green court
- The smog is extremely hazardous for those having a history of respiratory illness and heart patients are specially advised to take special careThe uncomfortable level of air pollution around Delhi
- Students explain how their device works when connected to the engine of a vehicleFour mechanical engineering students from Nashik have invented a device which is an indicator for the vehicle driver
- Once the project is completed, NHAI will return the site to the civic body.Standing 50 metres above the ground, waste collected at the Ghazipur landfill site will be used for road expansion projects
- With air pollution likely to once again reach severe limits in the coming days, Delhi deputy chief minister Manish Sisodia on Wednesday ordered immediate implementation of the six new measures to fight
- The city breathed easy on Thursday as the air quality marginally improved over Wednesday, when the air quality index (AQI) was recorded at 320. On Thursday, System of Air Quality Weather Forecasting and
- The global market based mechanism are aimed at making essential contributions towards aviation sector's goal of carbon neutral growth from 2020 onward.Government today said it has opposed capping of
- Azure Power has started the construction of its 100-megawatt (MW) solar power plant in Andhra Pradesh and expects to complete it during the second quarter of 2017.The solar energy company has secured
- Around 70 north-bound trains, including Rajdhani services, were delayed, while around 30 others were rescheduled due to fog.New Delhi: For the second consecutive day, road, rail, and air traffic was
- RANCHI: A state level data compiled by the Jharkhand State Aids Control Society (JSACS) reveals four in every 100 new HIV positive cases are pregnant women. Fifty pregnant women were tested HIV positive