O, Canada -- I know it's cold out there.The key to embracing the winter months is to do something that can only be done when there's a chill in the air and snow on the ground.After a childhood of tobogganing, I successfully avoided winter sports for the bulk of my teenage years and well into middle age. But after a single visit to Mont-Tremblant's charming little village this time last year, I was hooked on winter.
And, no, not because the snow-makers shooting trillions of perfect flakes into th
- Travel is a lot like real estate: Timing and location are the keys to get maximum value. To help you get a better handle on vacation planning, the data experts at Cheapflights.ca crunched data from 4.5 million flight searches to 20 of the most popular destinations to find out when airfares from Canada are at their lowest and their highest -- and when the best prices tend to be available for booking.
All our number crunching about the best time to buy flights reveals some key findings:Some destin
- Vacationing anywhere in Hawaii can be amazing but, which island do you choose?
Hawaii is the only state in America that is completely located in an ocean and is made up entirely of islands.There are hundreds of islands that make up the state of Hawaii, but the eight main islands are Ni'ihau, Kaua'i, O'ahu, Moloka'i, Lāna'i, Kaho'olawe, Maui and the island of Hawai'i. The weather in Hawaii is always warm and tropical, so it is the perfect place to vacation at any time of the year.O'ahu
- Enjoying the great outdoors during the winter doesn't always have to include ski slopes and snow covered enchanted forests. Sometimes all you need are a few friends, a pair of sharp skates and a little time to spend gliding across an ice rink.To help you achieve this winter goal, we've put together the best destinations across the globe for travellers to sharpen their skating skills or just enjoy a cup of hot cocoa while watching from the side lines.So, pack a bag and head out to one of these fi
- ROME, Italy - The Italian capital is an important place for world gastronomy. Eating in quality restaurants in Rome should be an imperative. Unfortunately what is served in the center of the city could be considered an insult to the country's culinary tradition. To really visit Rome, you have to take the bus or walk a bit and discover real Rome restaurants!
Here are some of my favourite addresses in Rome.Rome restaurants - Portofluviale
The chic-hipster hangar of a restaurant between the distric
- You only have to re-watch your favourite road trip movie to know that road trips are about many things but most of all the journey. The where, who, why and how play into the big what, that is, what each participant learns, feels and experiences. Recently, Girls' Flight Out embarked on a road trip in northern California. Here's the lowdown and the highlights. Of course, we invite all you virtual hitchhikers out there to hop on our video and come along for the ride.The LowdownWhere: Napa Valley, S
- CANCUN, Mexico — Two Canadians were among at least five people killed Monday in a shooting attack at an electronic music festival in Mexico's Caribbean coast resort of Playa del Carmen, Mexican authorities said.
And Canadian government officials added that at least two other Canadians were wounded in the deadly incident at a popular night club.
The attorney general of Quintana Roo state said four of the dead appear to have been part of the security detail at the 10-day BPM electronic music
- Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "Do one thing every day that scares you." That phrase was never easy to fulfill until I started traveling. There wasn't much that scared me in my typical Toronto work, home, repeat routine. However, when I embarked on my first solo travel experience at 25, I unearthed a list of fears I never knew I had, and now, roughly a decade later, I find myself grappling with the same fears on every adventure I take.I've realized that fear is a completely acceptable emotion to f
- Canadians don't hide indoors when the snow starts to fall. Instead, we venture outdoors in search of adventure. And although many winter adventures happen at our dozens of world-renowned ski resorts, there are a long list of winter activities available for those who don't ski or snowboard. These five Canadian winter hikes are just a handful of the many that invite you to explore some of our country's most impressive natural scenery and wildlife with as little as a pair of snowshoes or hiking boo
- Recent frigid temperatures, relentless snowfall, and icy roads are enough to make any Canadian want to head south until April. But many of us in the Great White North stay put, enduring the winter blues through most trying months, because the thought of heading south for any amount of time sounds way too expensive.However, traveling south of the border until spring may not be as expensive as many Canadians think. The travel experts at FlightNetwork.com recently created a comprehensive list of th
- Although Canada may not be known as a cruise hot spot, there are ports across the country that will let you explore nearby places (and beyond) by water.Cruise adventures are not for everyone: they are generally pricey and you are limited to a strict itinerary by the cruise line. But for those of you who like to plan, travel in large groups or enjoy being out on the water, a cruise is a perfect way to hit many destinations at once.
"Check for seasonality and the itinerary – make sure you&rs
- Now that I am an innkeeper, I need to plan my travel wisely. The nice part is that there are predictable peak seasons in Stratford and the Theatre Festival runs from April until October. November and December are for family, but January through March are for me to seek inspiration in food through travel.Travel in the winter means that cold and flu bugs are on every counter, button, person and thing you touch on the way through. It is even more critical to fly smart at this time of year.Here are
- Jamaica is a gorgeous island that caters to everyone, whether you are an adventure seeker, a romantic or simply craving culture and looking for paradise.
Get ready to pack your bags because after this, you'll be wanting to get to Jamaica right away!1. Tropical Weather
Jamaica is located in the Caribbean Sea to the south of Cuba. Instead of being in the cold, you can sunbathe in warmer weather with a tropical feel of an average temperature of 81 degrees. There is so much to enjoy on the island a
- Shoveling one metre of snow (which arrived overnight) and scraping ice off of your car's window at 6 a.m., are difficult parts of winter in the Great White North. But there's one winter drawback that's impossible for many Canadians to get used to -- the food trucks disappearing.Many food truck companies attribute their need to hibernate until the warmer months of spring to smaller crowds of customers and difficulty keeping their vehicles functioning properly in the bitter cold.However, there are
- Last week, The New York Times declared Canada as the top place to visit in 2017.
Naturally, Canadians were blushing as red as the maple leaf with the recognition.
But hold on, other than mentioning our national parks, a handful of natural attractions, and Ottawa and Montreal, Canada was reduced to being described as "cosmopolitan cities, barely explored natural wonders and everything in between."
Hey man, there's a LOT to see and do here.
Especially off the beaten path, in smaller nooks and cran
- The thrill of the holiday season has passed, and cold Canadian temperatures seem much chillier. Many North American travellers are setting their sights on southern destinations, where the days are longer and beaches are dotted with brightly-coloured towels and umbrellas. However, crowded beaches and roads packed with golf carts cruising at a steady 32 Kilometres per hour aren't in every traveller's recipe for the perfect warm-weather escape.These five off-the-beaten-path Florida towns offer the
- Puerto Vallarta is a coastal city that's tough to leave. From strolling the cobblestone streets of Old Town to sipping margaritas at Playa Los Muertos and lounging by the pool at the Casa Karma Boutique Resort, you don't have to venture outside of the city centre to have an unforgettable getaway.But those who don't travel beyond the bustling oceanside city streets are missing out on some of Jalisco's most beautiful beaches, charming small towns and richest culture. These three nearby destination
- The apocalypse Winter has descended upon Metro Vancouver.
Snow, followed by slush and falling temperatures have turned streets into dangerous slick surfaces.
Hey @CityofVancouver the streets are skating rinks and really tough on the elderly. Hope you can get salt trucks out soon. #safetyfirst pic.twitter.com/knJeVdinHC— Margaret Doyle (@Magsedoyle) January 2, 2017The good citizens of the region are doing their best, arming themselves with hammers...
A man chips away at the ice on the sidew
- It's easy to book a flight to Cancun, or wherever your go-to destination may be, to escape the cold every year. But not all of the world's best warm-weather destinations are lined by the turquoise Gulf of Mexico or Caribbean Sea. Sri Lanka, floating off the southeastern tip of India, and splashed by salt water on all sides, is a tropical destination that isn't on everyone's travel radar, but it should be.These four reasons to visit the country formerly known as Ceylon will inspire you to skip th
- When it comes to stellar star-gazing, the destination you choose is all-important. Being far away from the glow of city lights is fundamental but there can also be considerable divergence between each remote destination.Would you prefer a cozy setting, wrapped up warm on a snowy mountain, or to lie in the desert on a balmy night? Perhaps ocean side with the sounds of the waves crashing to accompany the view?
We've scoured our recommendations to bring you the very best places to stargaze across t
- Travel is more than rest and relaxation for me. It's how I learn, grow, and find inspiration for my sometimes dull life at home in Toronto. Every trip I take has a profound impact on me, but I want it to have a profound impact on the people and places I visit too. These five simple ways I travel consciously -- both environmentally and socially -- are easy for any traveler to implement and are guaranteed to make every holiday more beneficial for you and your destinations.
I Shop with PurposePhoto
- A pilot who allegedly passed out drunk in a plane cockpit at the Calgary airport faces two criminal charges.
The male pilot for Sunwing Airlines, whose name has not been released, was found to be "severely impaired by alcohol" early Saturday morning, Calgary police said in a press release.
The plane's crew noticed that the pilot was acting oddly before he lost consciousness.
At the time of the incident, 99 passengers and five other flight crew were already on board.
A Sunwing plane lands in Calg
- As baggage restrictions tighten, travellers are finding more creative ways to avoid fees. But even the lightest packers find it difficult to forego checking a bag when travelling to chilly winter destinations. These five expert packing tips will help you squeeze all of your winter clothes into a single carry-on, so you can spend your travel savings on lift tickets and hot toddies.
Most experienced travellers will advise you to keep layers to a minimum when travelling by air. The less you
- Arriving in Cartagena the day the government signed a historic peace deal with FARC (The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia) heightened both my excitement and anxiety about choosing Colombia for a winter getaway. A peace deal that had been rejected by Colombian voters months before, revised, and has since been approved unanimously by parliament. Luckily, the ceasefire that came into effect between the two groups while peace talks were underway had been extended to the end of the year, just
- As 2016 winds down, it's time to look ahead to what the New Year has in store. Changes coming in 2017 are set to transform every aspect of the travel experience -- from the way travellers book (on their mobile phones in response to deal alerts) to the airline they choose (including an upswing in low-cost options), to how far they can stretch their travel budget (the result of greater competition). All these innovations -- plus the desire for more meaningful travel -- will see some Canadians opt
- Indonesia is home to 17,000 islands, and Bali is just one of them. While the "Island of the Gods" is revered for its coral reefs, volcanic mountains and technicolor rice terraces, many travelers' tunnel vision causes them to miss out on the country's countless other island paradises. These six Indonesian destinations offer the authentic culture and exotic beauty you're seeking without the hoards of year-round tourists you'll find on the country's most popular tourist island.Komodo Island
- Many Canadians will make resolutions to travel more in 2017. And like every year, tens of thousands of us will venture across the border to the U.S., south to Mexico, or across the globe to faraway destinations like Thailand, Indonesia and Australia. However, not everyone will get the opportunity to pack their bags and escape for weeks, or even months, at a time in the new year.Those with slightly less nomadic lifestyles can still experience new cultures, taste exotic foods, and fill their Insta
- Ah, the holidays. When dreaming of a white Christmas becomes a little too real, enjoying your time off with loved ones in a tropical setting seems a tad more appealing. No destination seems more appropriate to while the days away than Bali; the Indonesian gem of an island can certainly be defined as paradise, regardless of your inclination while on vacation. The wonderfully diverse destination is, yes, undeniably beautiful, but is also the perfect place to spend Christmas break, surrounded by fa
- Tiny potions that say "drink me," accompanied by cookies that read "eat me" are served as stilt walkers tower above and mounds of fabric wrap around women to form elaborate dresses with voluminous trains. It's opening night at the Marrakech International Film Festival, a week-long celebration of global cinema patroned by Moroccan King Mohammed VI that beckons you to tumble down the rabbit hole.
Suzanne Clément, Montreal actress and jurist at the Marrakech Film Festival // Source: Christin
- Canadian employers, recruiters and postsecondary admissions staff are beginning to recognize the value of taking a gap year, but just taking time off from school or work doesn't quite cut it.
As the trend continues to gain traction in Canada, those who spend their time sifting through resumes and applications have recognized that some gap years are better spent than others.
Some approaches look better on a resume or application than others.
"Personally, I have always found details about what som
- Photo credit: Roderick Eime
The holiday season is here, and families just like mine are packing their layers into suitcases for another trip to Whistler, Sunshine VIllage, Lake Louise, Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, or one of Canada's more than 100 ski areas. This year, we chose Whistler, and while my husband and two sons are far more excited about terrain parks, bowls, and chest-deep powder than Santa Claus, I'm going through my annual pre-ski-trip blues.I'm dreading the parking space I'll find tha
- Christmas markets may have originated in Germany, but you don't have to travel to Nuremberg or Munich to enjoy the festive sights, sounds, and smells of a true holiday market. As soon as December is seen on the horizon, markets and bazaars begin to pop up across the Great White North's favorite cities and small towns. These five Canadian Christmas markets are complete with homemade gifts, tasty seasonal eats, and warm holiday drinks to keep you fueled for checking every name off your Christmas s
- I love visiting new places and discovering hidden gems. Port Credit is a neighbourhood in Mississauga, approximately 25 kilometers from Toronto or about a 35-minute drive from downtown Toronto. You can also take a train from Toronto to Port Credit or Uber as transportation to this lovely lakeside area.In Port Credit, you can enjoy shopping, music and dining on the waterfront. They also have a wide selection of restaurants and a very friendly community. I found it easy to walk around and wander a
- It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, everywhere you fly.
With the rush of holiday travel just around the corner, airports around the globe are doing their best to to get passengers in the festive spirit with decorations, illuminated trees and whimsical treats. Look for everything from ice skating rinks to carollers to Christmas trees at Cheapflights.ca's picks for best decked out airports around the world:Vancouver International Airport, VancouverImage: Vancouver International Airport
- I challenge you to walk away from Mont-Saint-Michel and not look back. You will find it an impossible feat.
The medieval icon dares you to depart. It commands your gaze from miles away and once you arrive ensnares your imagination after you've migrated within its walls. When I exited, I continued to turn back to get another glimpse of this beguiling mass of granite, gold and gall that had first caught my attention 12 years ago when I read about it in a magazine.
Mont-Saint-Michel is one of those
- Christmas is expensive, and many of us are depleting our travel funds to put presents under the tree. But the memories of a holiday season spent in style on a not-so-faraway island can be much more fulfilling than another holiday-themed sweater or the five-pack of underwear in your stocking. It's not too late to forego your old holiday traditions and opt for your first annual trip to the islands instead.These five islands are easy to reach from the Great White North, affordable, and guaranteed t
- In a couple short days, we are headed for the sun to Hawaii for the holidays to visit my sister and her family. My parents will be there too and I am SO excited for some R&R, good family time, and of course, sunshine! I know the holidays are a busy time for a lot of you, and often mean jetting off.Whether by car, plane or maybe even train, traveling can be a surefire way to get off the wagon with your regular healthy routine. From disrupted sleep to airport and airplane food, gas station st
- I have been travelling a lot lately, and I realized that just because I am in a new place, does not mean that my style has to go out the door. In fact, it is possible to look and feel great when you're travelling with a few easy tips.Recently, I was lucky enough to speak with Bradley O'Brien, Executive Vice President of Design and Product Development for Tommy Bahama. Bradley shared her insights on the top travel style trends for both women and men.
Here are Bradley's style tips on how you can l
- Despite Facebook photos of smiling faces and carefully decorated cookies, many holiday celebrations are riddled with family feuds and boring traditions. That's not the case for New Year's Eve. This celebration of a new beginning is something everyone can agree on -- it's time to have some fun. These four Canadian destinations are places where you can celebrate 2017 in an unforgettable way.Niagara Falls, OntarioPhoto credit: HiEtec
Niagara Falls always goes above and beyond when entertaining visi
- The holiday season is officially in full swing, and no celebrations are anticipated more than those held on New Year's Eve. Stuffed with Christmas ham and outfitted with fresh socks, party seekers from around the globe search for the most extravagant ways to ring in the new year. Known as the "World in a City," Vancouver's rich diversity creates some unique ways to celebrate all of the good of 2016, and anticipate the adventures offered by another year. These five New Year's Eve celebrations wil
- If you're currently suffering from the seasonal blues, fear not, the best remedy is to channel some summertime sunshine and head to a patio. But not just any patio.When "Winter Is Coming," these spots do not fret about the chilly air -- they are armed with amenities and offer guests plenty of coziness such as wool blankets, robes, roaring fireplaces, and patio heaters. And let's not forget about specialty cocktails and comforting treats that are sure to warm you from the inside out.The following
- I've travelled to 24 countries thus far and 60% of those trips were done solo. I couldn't be happier for making that conscious choice. Not to say I don't love travelling with friends, it's just an entirely different experience.
It's hard to describe the depth of value of seeing the world through your eyes and your eyes only. But I'll try.
Independence grows on you.You do the things you want to do, when you want to do them without consulting anyone else. This freedom makes you more con
- With the joys of the holiday season, comes the love-hate relationship with Christmas shopping. There's nothing more discouraging than visiting your local mall only to be pushed and shoved for the latest gadget. If you still haven't booked your holiday vacation and have gifts to cross off your list, we're here to help. Endorsed for their popular souks, these six cities are a great choice for travellers who want to escape the traditional Christmas shopping and explore some of the oldest markets in
- I love uncovering hidden gems and when someone told me about how Winnipeg has so many amazing restaurants, a flourishing art scene, a fabulous shopping district and one of the most famous museums in Canada, I know I needed to visit.
Winnipeg is the largest city in Manitoba and also the capital. The city was named after Lake Winnipeg and was at one time a major trading post for aboriginal peoples, the Europeans and the French.
Now, it is a city that has many fun and interesting things to see and
- Wine tastings and tours might be a summer pastime, but when it comes to icewines, think winter.Ontario's Niagara region is a large producer of the country's icewines, and according to Wine Country Ontario, the province's selection is considered to be some of the best icewine in the world.
Jillian Nero of travel agency Niagara Canada notes January is also icewine month in Niagara — so it may be a good time to start booking those tours and tastings during the holiday season.Icewine, often ca
- U.S. Vice-President Joe Biden arrived in Ottawa on Thursday for an official visit to meet with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
But one thing, or person, will be missing while Joe's biden (get it?) his time in the capital: his tag-team partner Barack Obama.Watch the video above to see how Biden is keeping his buddy up to date on the visit.
- Miami is a city of vibrant diversity: the opulence of soaring, marble-floored 5-diamond hotels are juxtaposed beside Spring Break-loving, neon-clad partiers slurping Ocean Drive's famous fishbowl margaritas.But there is so much more to South Beach and beyond when it comes to exploring Florida's most southern city; famously fabulous for both its sizzling culture and residents (WAGS Miami, anyone?), Art Basel Miami Beach, which just wrapped up a few short days ago, is arguably one of the biggest -
- The capital of Bavaria is known for its beer festival, Oktoberfest. Every year people drink hundreds of litres of good beer, eat kilometres of sausage and scarf down thousands of roast chickens. But does Munich, during the rest of the year, resemble the city that we see in the news each year? Well, a little bit, yes...
Eating in Munich is all about the classics. There's sausage, chicken, pork, beer, of course. But when you go looking for something "different", you find other classics, too: excel
- Spending a winter month in a warm-weather destination is a dream for many Canadians. But enjoying several weeks away from the frigid temperatures and feet of snow of the Great White North doesn't have to break the bank. These four Central American towns, loaded with natural beauty, culture, and budget-friendly places to call home, will encourage you to take a little more time off work this winter.
Caye Caulker, BelizePhoto credit: James Willamor
Belize is becoming an increasingly popular long-te
- The winter blues sets in shortly after the cheer of the holidays has passed. But you can beat those feelings of hatred for shoveling snow, icy windshields and slippery roads by escaping to the exotic beaches of Central America. These five Costa Rican beaches, complete with lanky palm trees, jungle backdrops, sugary sands, and laid-back tropical vibes, are guaranteed to make you forget what sub-zero temperatures feel like.Playa GrandePhoto credit: Angelique
Just a short walk north of Tamarindo is