Lady Gaga was the most recent guest on James Corden's "Carpool Karaoke" segment on Tuesday, and let's just say it is a performance that will go down in "Carpool Karaoke" history.
The 30-year-old singer and the host of the "The Late Late Show with James Corden" drove down the busy streets of L.A. singing some of Gaga's biggest hits like, "Poker Face," "Bad Romance" and "Born This Way." The duo even threw in a version of O-Town's 2011 single, "Liquid Dreams."
And in true Gaga fashion,
- Canadian country star Dean Brody is a major success now, but when he was just starting out as a songwriter, he says there were a lot of failures.
"I think of my early songwriting days, I wrote some terrible songs, like shitty songs," the 41-year-old "Upside down" singer told the Huffington Post Canada in the video above."So... you learn from your mistakes until you get better... certainly as a songwriter, my failures have made me better."
The artist has certainly come a long way from performing
- Bob Dylan's recent win of the Nobel Prize in Literature has raised eyebrows and has come with mixed feelings within the literati community. There are persons who see the academy's decision to award Dylan this coveted prize as "misguided and questioned whether songwriting, however brilliant," deserves to be ranked at the same standard as literature.
In The New York Times article, "Bob Dylan Wins Nobel Prize, Redefining Boundaries of Literature," the writers commented that the selection of Dylan t
- Mike Downie, second from left; Pearl Wenjack, third from left; and Gord Downie, fifth from left, participate in WE Day Toronto on Oct. 19, 2016 at the Air Canada Centre. (Photo: Vito Amati)
Gord Downie was a special guest at WE Day Toronto. He wanted to be there to share his message with us. A few years ago Gord read an article that had been published in Macleans magazine in 1967, "The Lonely Death of Chanie Wenjack." Those of us at WE Day understood this and the call to action that comes with
- On a map, Toronto looks like a great city for a band to be based in -- Detroit, Chicago, New York, Philly, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and Boston are all within a day's drive. Unfortunately though, thousands of dollars in fees and a quagmire of paperwork stand between Canadian bands and US audiences.Canadian groups headed to America have two choices: Stump up $2000-$5000 in border fees and union dues and wait weeks for a permit, or go without and risk a two to five year personal ban from
- New details of an alleged groping incident involving singer Taylor Swift and former DJ David Mueller have recently been made public by a judge.According to Billboard, last week a judge decided to seal a photo of the 26-year-old at a June 2013 meet-and-greet where the former DJ allegedly groped her.
However, as the judge denied Swift's request to withhold other evidence in the case, the transcript of her July 26 deposition has been released.
In the transcript, it notes the "Blank Space" singer's
- A vibrant suburb in Toronto's east-end, Scarborough is home to some of the country's biggest talent.
With a reported population of 625,930 people according to the 2011 Census, the most popular communities in the suburb include those who speak Tamil, Cantonese and Tagalog. Oh, and who can forget all of the great food?
The athletes, musicians, artists and people in showbiz in the slideshow below were either born and/or raised in Scarborough, attended school there or fully rep the suburb wherever t
- Singer-songwriter Bob Dylan gives his first concert in Israel after his 20-year career in music, Sept. 6, 1987, in Tel Aviv. (Photo: AP Photo/Anat Givon)
I'm sure that the Swedish Academy that gave Bob Dylan this year's Nobel Prize in Literature didn't count on another Nobel literature winner dying on the same day.Dario Fo, the Italian playwright, actor-comedian and all around political blowhard, won the award in 1997 for what the Nobel committee said was his emulation of the gestures in the Mi
- It's hard to keep going sometimes. I know that sounds a bit ridiculous coming from a moderately successful, full-time comedian. Really, what do I have to complain about? I can travel earth working 20 to 40 minutes a night. For a long time I was the only black female doing stand up in Canada. Yes, the whole country. I did not fit in with my peers. The only thing that as kept me in this business is my passion for my job.
The truth is, I have always felt like an outsider in this industry -- and I a
- Us mere mortals would probably go home if we ripped our ear so badly it bled. Not Beyoncé.
On Saturday, the singer was performing at a benefit concert for Tidal when she experienced a small injury that would sideline most other artists: the 35-year-old Grammy winner tore her ear, but when it started bleeding, she didn't stop her incredible performance.According to Us Weekly, Bey had just ended her first song of the evening, "6 Inch," when her earring seemed to get caught on her long braid
- NASHVILLE - Country singer Randy Travis found his distinctive voice three years after a life-threatening stroke and sang "Amazing Grace'' during his induction Sunday into the Country Music Hall of Fame.
The Grammy-winning baritone singer battled back from the stroke in 2013 to sing again during the medallion ceremony in Nashville, Tenn. He was inducted along with fiddler Charlie Daniels and record producer Fred Foster.
Fellow artists including Kris Kristofferson, Dolly Parton, Alan Jackson, Brad
- We can't make this stuff up.
Thanks to The Bee Gees' hit song "Stayin' Alive," a New York subway worker is alive.
Monique Brathwaite was electrocuted after falling on a third rail, which powers trains, after tripping on roadbed. Her coworker performed CPR to the beat of the 1977 tune, which ultimately saved Brathwaite's life.The Bee Gees in 1977.
The 35-year-old mom, who was hospitalized last week, told the New York Daily News that she has no memory about her fall or that her colleague David Mar
- Gord Downie of The Tragically Hip is doing his first sit-down interview since he revealed his brain cancer diagnosis in May.
The 52-year-old Canadian musician will speak to The National's Peter Mansbridge on Thursday on everything from his aggressive cancer, the band and his latest solo album, "Secret Path," which was inspired by an Ojibway boy who died in 1966 after running away from an Ontario residential school.
During the two-minute interview preview, the singer opens up about his ongoing st
- We've come to expect some kind of entertainment at weddings these days, but this uber-talented bridal party took it to the next — or should we say, Bey — level.
This past weekend, Canadian singer and dancer Melissa Molinaro got married, but it was her reception that has her guests, and the Internet, buzzing.The former "Making the Band" contestant performed an epic rendition of Beyoncé's "Upgrade U" alongside her bridesmaids/should-be-Beyoncé's-back-up-dancers.The group
- I feel like hipsters are getting knocked a lot more than they should. Sure, their counter-culture coolness and their millennial vantage point is irritating to some of the baby boomers out there, but who cares? Vintage is in, bubblegum pop music is out, and there is a large propensity for flannel from all directions. Even still, people like to point fingers at the weirdos who think they are "cool," but there are a lot of positives coming from hipsterdom, and often from places you'd least expect.
- James Corden isn't satisfied with modern day boy bands.
On Tuesday night, "The Late Late Show" host announced his desire to revive '90s-style boy bands. "I'm aware that boy bands haven't gone away, but now they just stand on stage in skinny jeans, wearing Vans sneakers," he said. "Some of them even have the audacity to pick up instruments. That's not what I want in a boy band."
Corden went on to say what he really wants is boy bands with "matching outfits, synchronized dancing and way over-budge
- This year's Polaris Music Prize winner Kaytranada has the stamp of approval from Madonna and the adoration of Janet Jackson fans — but he's still holding out for the love of Erykah Badu.
The Haitian-Canadian producer, 24, wasted little time after winning the Polaris prize for his album "99.9%'' before revealing his dream to collaborate with the soulful "On & On'' singer.
"Erykah Badu, please holler at me,'' the soft-spoken musician said as he spoke to reporters late Monday.
- Tragically Hip frontman Gord Downie has announced two solo shows for October, set to take place roughly two months after the iconic band wrapped its "Man Machine Poem'' tour with a live broadcast concert that drew millions of viewers.
Downie is set to play in Ottawa on Oct. 18 and Toronto on Oct. 21 to promote his solo project "Secret Path,'' an album with an accompanying graphic novel and animated film.
The project is inspired by the story of 12-year-old Chanie Wenjack, who died in 1966 after r
- We all know the words to the song, but can celebrities do "You Oughta Know" justice?
W magazine put the stars to the task, when they asked a few select actors and actresses at the 2016 Toronto Film Festival to re-interpret the classic Alanis Morissette song.
Celebs such as "Sex and the City's" Cynthia Nixon, "Orange is the new Black's" Uzo Aduba, former "Grey's Anatomy" star Sandra Oh, "The Birth of a Nation's" Coleman Domingo (doing a super sexy reading) and more read the famous lyrics and made
- A Canadian gin company is apologizing after "crossing an important line" in its use of Inuit imagery to sell liquor.
But Ungava Gin's admission doesn't quite capture the full measure of what's angered Inuit people.
Marketing material from Ungava's Facebook page.A campaign from the company included a video that featured a man chanting "Ungava" in a throat-singing style, and showed Inuit people paddling a canoe through a wintry landscape with polar bears and igloos.
The promotion ran in Europe thr
- This is the best celebrity news we've heard all week, and it's only Wednesday.
Although Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake haven't been a couple for more than a decade, we still get a case of the swoons when the exes talk about each other.
Case in point: at the TIFF 2016 premiere of his Netflix concert documentary "Justin Timberlake + the Tennessee Kids," the singer said he would "absolutely" be interested in a collaboration with Ms. Spears, after reporters told him his famous ex said she woul
- It's one thing to take a musical artist out of his or her own genre, but if you are Céline Dion, it seems like you can handle just about anything.The Canadian singer and current headliner at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas was recently on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" to show off her powerhouse voice.The 48-year-old "The Power of Love" singer was asked by the host to sing her own version of famous rap and pop songs.And in true Dion form, she delivered.From Nelly's "Hot in Herre" to Britney Spear
- Is it too late now to say sorry? (A Justin Bieber lyric feels appropriate here.)
Katy Perry revealed on Twitter that she'd collaborate with arch-nemesis Taylor Swift, but with one big condition: the "Bad Blood" singer would have to apologize.
This revelation came about on the weekend while the 31-year-old singer was chatting with her fans. One Katy Kat asked her if she'd ever work with Swift, to which Perry replied, "if she says sorry, sure!"@HerWonkEye @katycatsophia @camilasviews if she says s
- TORONTO — Just weeks after fans bid what they feared could be a final goodbye to beloved Tragically Hip frontman Gord Downie, the terminally ill singer has revealed he will release a new solo album with an accompanying graphic novel and animated film inspired by the tragedy of Canada's residential school system.
"Secret Path'' tells the story of a 12-year-old First Nations boy in Ontario named Chanie Wenjack, who died in 1966 after running away from the Cecilia Jeffrey Indian Residential S
- A Calgary music festival is kicking off with a marathon performance.A team of 40 pianists is taking shifts approximately every 28 minutes to perform Erik Satie's 18-hour-long piece "Vexations" for the opening of the 2016 Honens Festival.
The event is an internationally acclaimed piano competition that takes place every three years in Calgary.
'An appetite for the absurd'Satie's piece, which was composed in 1883, consists of three lines of music played 840 times in succession.“Thank God I&r
- It's over!
Nearly three months after the world found out Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston were dating (never forget that kiss on the rocks), the couple have broken up, People.com confirms.
A source told the celebrity news outlet: "It was an amicable split."
The couple, who dated for three months after meeting at the 2016 Met Gala in May, had a whirlwind romance that included multiple trips around the world, the meeting of both celebs' parents and a "I (heart) T.S." shirt worn by the British actor
- It was an anthem during its time, but the Black Eyed Peas' "Where Is The Love" couldn't be more relevant today.The group reunited to remake their popular 2003 hit, but this time in the company of today's biggest celebrities and people who have faced heartache.The song, titled #WHERESTHELOVE featuring "The World," has cameo appearances by the likes of Usher, Justin Timberlake, Mary J. Blige, Diddy, Kris Jenner and The Game.Along with musical artists, the group also reached out to family members o
- NEW YORK — Rihanna is thanking Drake for his tribute to her at MTV's Video Music Awards.
Drake presented Rihanna with MTV's Video Vanguard Award on Sunday night, saying that he's been in love with her for years and has always looked up to her, even though she's younger than him.#VMA2016 night was one that I would never forget!! I have the most incredible people in my life! My family, friends, loved ones, my fans, my team!!! All gifted beautiful spirits! And I'm so grateful that God has pre
- Kanye West is flying. Or rather, he's leashed to a platform that is slowly soaring through Toronto's Air Canada Centre above a massive arena-sized mosh pit.
It is a spectacular and intimate piece of staging for West's Saint Pablo tour, one that simultaneously positions Kanye above the masses while also bringing them right up close to him, maybe closer than previously achieved at any concert of this size ever.In typical multilayered Kanye fashion, it acts as both a stage and a symbol of celebrity
- Imagine working out next to Teyana Taylor at the gym.
The actress, who is literally inspiring people to go the gym (or at least think about going to the gym), is currently on everyone's radar after appearing in rapper Kanye West's new music video "Fade."
In the video, Taylor — who is oiled up and wearing a thong (because this is how you should be working out) — is dancing and exercising in an old-school gym.But not shown in Kanye's original video is TV host James Corden sitting on th
- Just weeks after she saw the Tragically Hip perform their final concert in Winnipeg, Joanne Schiewe, an avid fan of the Canuck band, died of the same brain cancer Hip frontman Gord Downie has.
The 36-year-old passed away after battling stage 4 glioblastoma on Monday night, according to a Facebook post by her partner, Jared Spier.
"For the past few months, I've helped as Jo's voice along her journey. It's been hard at times, but today was the hardest," Spier wrote.Joanne Schiewe died on Monday af
- A controversially named rock band's Calgary show is back on.Black Pussy was originally scheduled to play at the Palomino on Sept. 17, before the show was cancelled over concerns about the band's name.The Portland group, which is made up of five white men, has been accused of sexism and racism.
Now, the show is back on, albeit at a different venue."The members of Black Pussy are our friends. They assert that their band name is not intended to be derogatory," wrote Distortion, the local metal venu
- He's interrupted Taylor Swift during her acceptance speech, and announced his plans to run for President in 2020, and Kanye West created yet another memorable moment at the MTV Video Music Awards on Sunday by expressing humility in his own way.
"I am Kanye West, and that feels especially good to say this year," said West.
West — who earned two VMA nominations including one for "Video of the Year" for the controversial "Famous" — was reportedly given "free reign" to do whatever he ple
- The MTV Video Music Awards are a pop culture time capsule, and they always have been.Yes, the 2016 awards ceremony will go down in history as the night Beyoncé won eight moonman trophies, Drake professed his eternal love for Rihanna — who was rightfully feted as a music icon — Britney Spears returned to the stage, and Kanye West gave yet another memorable speech before introducing another controversial music video.Oh, and American swimmer Ryan Lochte's apparent lie about being
- Drake missed accepting his own award for Best Hip Hop Video becuase he was "stuck in traffic," but neither hell nor high water could keep him from Rihanna's shining moment at the 2016 MTV Video Music Awards Sunday night.The 29-year-old Toronto rapper stepped up on stage in a tux to present Rihanna with her lifetime achievement Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award, and snuck in a personal confession while he was there.Drake commenced with a minutes-long speech that could have doubled for a weddin
- We have officially reached peak Kimye.For the 2016 MTV Video Music Awards on Sunday, Kim Kardashian West and Kanye West made a grand entrance on the white carpet wearing ensembles that only Kimye could pull off.Kim, 35, looked like she came straight from the beach, sporting a form-fitting, sheer mesh dress, purposely worn off the shoulder to add to the sex appeal. The mother of North and Saint West opted for no bra underneath, freeing her nipples for the cameras.Adding to the whole, err, "damp"
- The 2016 MTV Video Music Awards (VMAs) have come and gone, and it was definitely a night to remember.From Beyoncé and Blue Ivy Carter's epic entrance to Rihanna's killer performances and, of course, Britney Spears' comeback, Sunday night's show was definitely one for the books.Naturally, one of the main highlights was the red carpet, which produced outrageous, head-turning looks that the VMAs have become notorious for.
Check out the best and worst dressed stars at the 2015 MTV VMAs below.
- Alessia Cara found her inner wild thing on stage at the 2016 MTV Video Music Awards pre-show in New York City on Sunday, but only after she emerged from a cloud of smoke.The 20-year-old native of Brampton, Ont. was the first performer of the night, and got the VMA pre-party started by walking up and out of a smoky subway stop on 34th Street, right by Penn Station.Cara — whose voice has a husky, raspy quality — appeared to embrace this creative parallel and kicked off her three-song m
- Beyoncé walked the MTV Video Music Awards white carpet flanked by notable black women — from model Winnie Harlow to young actor Quvenzhane Wallis. Her companions also included four prominent mothers.Their inclusion comes not from celebrity, but tragedy: their sons Mike Brown, Trayvon Martin, Eric Garner and Oscar Grant were black men who were killed in high-profile altercations in the U.S. All the cases but one involved police.The mothers of Mike Brown, Trayvon Martin, Eric Garner &
- Between working on her new album, performing at her Vegas residency and summer tour, not to mention launching a new fashion line, it's safe to say Céline Dion is keeping herself busy. But even the busiest people need to stop and enjoy lunch.On Tuesday, the Grammy-winning singer appeared at Montreal's famous Schwartz's treating diners to a free lunch in honour of her late husband and former Schwartz's co-owner René Angélil.
The 48-year-old singer also signed autographs, took
- Thousands of Canadians are showing their love for Gord Downie in yet another way: by petitioning to give the musician the Order of Canada.
A Facebook page supporting a petition addressed to Governor General David Johnston said the honour would be "long overdue."
"From his songwriting to environmental activism, Gord Downie embodies what it means to be Canadian. Along with all The Tragically Hip band members, he's had a profound impact not just on the world of music, but on Canadian culture as wel
- Singing in a car with Britney Spears is something most of us dream of doing as teens, but on Thursday, James Corden will make this a reality.
Corden's latest "Carpool Karaoke" victim is none other than pop superstar Spears. In a teaser released before the full episode, "The Late Late Show with James Corden" host is seen picking up the "...Baby One More Time" mom-of-two and singing his heart out.The 34-year-old sings her hit single, "Toxic," and the 38-year-old host asks her if it was awkward tha
- The Tragically Hip performs in Kingston, Ont. on Saturday night. (Photo: Mike Homer/LiveNation)
The CBC's decision to air the Tragically Hip's farewell concert Saturday was a stroke of public broadcasting genius. Better than almost any event one could imagine, it demonstrated the power of a national public broadcaster to bring a nation together to celebrate its shared values, to honour its prodigies, to connect.
Preliminary ratings suggest that 11.7 million of us watched or listened to some or
- There aren't many bands in the world that could bring together an entire country to the degree that The Tragically Hip did on the final stop of its Man Machine Poem Tour.
Certainly, there are bands that are more famous, have sold more albums and put on bigger shows, but you'd be hard-pressed to find one that captured a country's attention -- at least 11.7 million of us, according to CBC -- like The Hip did that night in Kingston.
For several hours, everything seemed to stop. Nothing else seemed
- Photo: David Bastedo
On Saturday night, everywhere was Kingston, Ontario. Everywhere.I felt strange when I woke up. Part of me was questioning why The Tragically Hip's curtain call was impacting me so heavily. Then I spoke to a friend who told me he couldn't explain why he was moved to tears when he heard a Hip song through the speakers of a passing vehicle.Then I spoke to another friend who was compelled to drive from his home in Hamilton to Kingston the day before the show. He didn't even hav
- I don't normally respond to possibly controversial topics or pictures but tonight I felt I needed to.
I was relaxing while anxiously awaiting the live stream of what could possibly be The Tragically Hip's last concert when a touching picture of Justin Trudeau hugging Gord Downie popped up on my Instagram feed. I had instant tears when I saw this picture -- you can truly see the emotion in it.
Soon after the pic showed up on my Facebook news feed because it was shared by the Hip there. But when I
- The summer after grade 12, driving the family minivan, down Duckworth Street. Boots or Hearts. Harbour Drive, back through Water and George Street, if it was early enough. Pigeon Camera. Back up Portugal Cove Road, bouncing wildly over the Rennie's Mill River bridge. Blow at High Dough. Through Wedgewood Park to pick up the always-late friend. Lionized. Up Logy Bay Road into Middle Cove. Looking for a Place to Happen indeed.Back downtown. Fifty Mission Cap--- the always-late friend with the sign
- Yesterday on my Facebook page I made a comment about how so many Canadians would be in front of their televisions watching The Tragically Hip. A non-Canadian friend asked me to clarify and maybe write a blog post about it, specifically for the Canadianly-challenged. I instantly thought that I don't have enough to say about the topic, but upon further reflection, it turns out I do.
I woke up this morning in the South of France to the sound of The Hip coming from the living room. As I rolled out o
- KINGSTON, Ont. — The set list from Saturday night's Tragically Hip show in Kingston, Ont.:
(Photo: David Bastedo/LiveNation)
"50 Mission Cap"
"At The Hundredth Meridian"
"In A World Possessed By The Human Mind"
"Tired As F---"
"My Music At Work"
"Twist My Arm"
"The Last Of The Unplucked Gems"
- You may have already seen this Tragically Hip meme. But when Toronto city coun. tweeted it out Saturday night following the CBC broadcast of the band's final concert in Kingston, Ont., we had only one thought:Two planes, two cab rides and eight hours later we're finally home. Sadly we missed #TheHip live. #InGordWeTrust pic.twitter.com/u9X5HoiWRz— Kristyn Wong-Tam (@kristynwongtam) August 21, 2016Nailed it.