Orders for the first Alpine ‘A120’ coupes are now being taken by the revived sports car brand.
Overnight, Alpine announced that it had begun taking orders, via a smartphone app available on both major platforms, for a limited run of 1,995 Premiere Edition models of its new mid-engine sports car.
Potential buyers will need to stump up 2000 euros ($2900) to select a build number and reserve their car. During the early stages of production, the company will keep buyers in touch with th
CarAdvice podcast 33: November car sales, CEO of Jet Charge, Mercedes AMG-E63 review and Sydney to Melbourne in the Audi S1!While Paul is driving Bentleys in Spain, Mike Costello and James Wong join Mandy for this week’s show.
We bring you the latest in car news, including the 2018 Holden Commodore reveal, Honda Civic sedan sells up a storm, Volkswagen Group Australia announces voluntary recall of 61,000 vehicles for diesel software fix, Opel Insignia Grand Sport is revealed for Europe, Mercedes-AMG sales at record levels, and Mazda is not working on a larger sports car.
Mike talks about Novembe
- Chinese car brands have come and gone in Australia for the better part of a decade, though only one — Great Wall Motors — could claim to have gained significant market share so far.
With the Australian market more fragmented than ever before, housing more than 60 brands competing for a tick under 1.2 million sales in the car, SUV and commercial segments, the job for these conquest brands to cut through isn’t getting easier.
Indeed, brands such as Chery, Geely and ZX are either
- “Awaken your soul.”
Maserati’s mission statement speaks of an undefinable, ethereal, almost otherworldly spirituality living – sleeping – within you. And it needs a wake-up call that only their cars can give you.
Putting aside any notion of whether you believe in the spiritual or even in the idea of each of us having a soul (this reviewer, for one, doesn’t), it’s a bold idea to assume a car, any car, can awaken what many believers think is the essence of
- Hyundai’s new luxury sub-brand, Genesis, has hired former Bugatti designer Alexander Selipanov as its chief designer at the Global Genesis Advanced Studio in Europe.
Selipanov, also known as Sasha, is responsible for the exterior design of the stunning Bugatti Vision Gran Turismo concept, and more recently the Bugatti Chiron hypercar.
He has also contributed to numerous design projects across the Volkswagen Group, including the Lamborghini Huracan project in 2010.Above: Bug
- httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQTQMNojy3QA start-up company from Israel is developing a new battery for electric vehicles that can be recharged in under five minutes – and it could be available as early as 2020, according to a new report.
In an article by US website The Drive, StoreDot’s upcoming battery packs should help to speed up the adoption of electric vehicles (EVs).
“The reason that adoption is slow is because charging is slow,” said Doron Myersdorf, CEO of
The 2017 Honda Civic Type R hatch will launch in Australia from the third quarter of next year priced at about $50,000, matching its rivals, the Ford Focus RS and Volkswagen Golf R.
Honda’s long-awaited hot hatch, the first Type R version sold here since 2011, is being touted as a massive return to form for a brand that admits it has been rather beige and listless of late.
Given the healthy state of Australia’s hot hatch market —
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) will stage a big unveiling at next month’s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, a new report suggests, instead of the following week’s Detroit motor show – the biggest motor show on America’s calendar.
The US’s Detroit Free Press reports that for the first time in seven years, the FCA Group will not reveal a new car or truck at America’s largest auto show, likely due to the next-generation Jeep Wrangler and Dodge Ram 15
- When someone throws you the keys to a Land Rover, your initial thoughts are ‘where shall I take it’?
In the case of the Land Rover Discovery 4, the answer is anywhere you like really.
The fourth-generation vehicle we’re driving, which features the brand’s familiar boxy shape, is a much awarded and capable 4WD and tourer. The incoming fifth generation has a new shape, looking more Range Rover than Landy and will hit the ground in 2017.
With that in mind, there has never b
- Toyota and Hyundai team up to woo SA on hydrogen future
- Engineering certificate no longer needed for off-roaders raised up to 75mm in NSW
- Mercedes-AMG’s entry grade powertrain now available in the GLC SUV
- Growing commercial vehicle fleet business prompts VW to establish specialist network
- Fifth-generation Lexus LS flagship sedan to be revealed at Detroit show
- The upcoming 2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class coupe is set to offer a sporty AMG E50 4Matic variant when it launches in Europe in the second half of 2017, according to a new report out of the UK.
Autocar reports that the AMG E50, which will likely sit below a hero E63 variant, will be one of the German marque’s first models to debut its new M256 in-line six-cylinder petrol engine.
The article claims the E50 will see the 3.0-litre unit boosted by an electric turbocharger, with outputs of ar
- Strong initial sales for the Abarth 124 Spider helping improve brand awareness
- Silver medal for Aussie technician team at global commercial vehicle competition
- Macarthur Jaguar Land Rover’s David Sherlock crowned 2016 Global Technician of Year
- Four-variant line-up announced for Alfa Romeo’s critical Giulia sedan
- Classic range follows 3 Wheeler back to Morgan showrooms with price drop
- The rate Accident Compensation Commission levies are charged at are set to drop, from $86.50 a year to just $18 dollars. The move is aimed at encouraging their uptake, and also takes car of a Read More
- German carmaker Daimler is to become this year’s biggest and most profitable luxury car maker, its chief executive claims. “We will achieve it this year, four years ahead of time,” Daimler chief executive Dieter Zetsche Read More
- It’s time for the latest instalment of Deals on Wheels, which this week looks at six factory-backed special offers for all you weekend shoppers.
This isn’t a promotional campaign, just us trying to offer you some interesting suggestions if you’re in the market for some new wheels. Here we focus on workhorses.Ford Ranger XLT – $55,990
The top-selling Ford Ranger XLT is the ute of the moment, and Ford is advertising MY17 updated versions for $55,990 drive-away, essentially
- Welcome to the CarAdvice.com News Desk, a regular video wrap of the latest happenings in the automotive world and Australia’s new-car market.
Keeping you in the loop, Tegan Lawson presents a weekly video from the CarAdvice Garage, with everything you need to know about the week in news and reviews.
What happened in the week ending December 9, 2016? Catch our video above, and links to the full stories below.
THE WEEK IN NEWS:The 2018 Holden Commodore has been revea
- Sales not in Accord as Honda concedes it could pull nameplate
- Big three German premium brands could join forces for Australian EV network
- An undisguised next-generation Suzuki Swift hatch has surfaced online ahead of its expected launch early next year.
The photo above was posted on the Ferd Facebook page, although it’s not clear from who or where they sourced this picture.
Given the design of the headlights and grille, the next-generation small hatch seems to have drawn more than a little inspiration from the Jaguar F-Type. Combined with tighter surfacing, and blacked out A- and C-pillars for a floating roof look, the new
- Toyota New Zealand and MITO are both singing the praises of the Work Inspiration programme. The programme gives employers the chance to share different career paths with students, and highlight qualifications that can be achieved Read More
- A huge new dealership being built in the east Auckland suburb of Botany received a visit from transport minister Simon Bridges. Armstong Motor Group’s massive new site, which will house the company’s latest Mercedes-Benz franchise, Read More
- The Mercedes-AMG GLC63 Coupe has been spied undergoing cold weather testing in Europe.
As if there was any doubt that Mercedes-Benz was planning to drop AMG’s 4.0-litre twin-turbo V8 into the GLC Coupe, these photos should put those thoughts to bed.
Today’s prototype follows on from spy photos taken in May of the AMG GLC63 doing a spot of public road testing.Unlike the more practical GLC63, the Coupe variant seen here is wearing a bit more disguise. Regardless, we can tell that the
- Note e-Power could come to Australian Nissan range with home-grown components
- Loyal Nissan fans stockpiling final Patrol Legend Edition ahead of Y61 end date
- Mighty V8 SQ7 helping to restore faith in Audi diesels
- Two Ford Transit vans will be collecting Christmas cheer for many people in need and support Auckland City Mission’s “Become Someone’s Angel” appeal programme. Ford is loaning a Transit Cargo and a Transit Custom to Read More
- Hellaby Holdings Limited is continuing to advise it’s shareholders not to accept the Bapcor offer, as it believes it doesn’t reflect fair value for the company, and there are better options to pursue. The Takeovers Read More
- Conversion company Performax International has issued a recall for 214 of its Toyota Tundra utes from 2012 to 2016 over concerns a faulty wheel alignment could cause steering vibration.
The company reports that out-of-specification adjustments can be made to the tie rods during a wheel alignment, due to faulty tie rod extensions.
If such an adjustment is made, this could cause an unsafe thread engagement between the tie rod and the steering rack, which may cause steering vibratio
- The fifth-generation Lexus LS has been teased ahead of its official debut at next year’s Detroit motor show in January.
From the teaser image above we can see that Lexus’ new flagship sedan will stick with the brand’s signature spindle grille design, tick-shaped LED driving lights, and thin headlight arrangement.
What we can see of the front end and the alloy wheels seems to be a slightly toned version version of the design used for the 2015 Lexus LF-FC concept car.
Like the c
- At a time when car manufacturing plants are being wound down and closed in Australia, the Nissan Casting Plant has grown its business and secured its operation here for the foreseeable future.
A new contract to supply vital EV engine castings for Nissan worldwide has not only ensured the plant will continue to operate – it has seen it return to three shifts, seven days a week.
Since winning the EV contract, production at the plant has increased by 25 per cent over the past month. November
- Vehicle manufacturers celebrating the arrival of a new model is almost an everyday occurrence. They even quite often release a limited-edition model to mark the occasion. It is much rarer, though, to celebrate the end of a model.
But that is exactly what Nissan has done with its iconic Y61 Patrol. Its reign in Australia is about to come to an end, 20 years after it was first launched here and six years after its successor, the Y62 Patrol, was launched.
The last diesel-powered Y61 Patrol to
- Located 600km north of Adelaide, Arkaroola is a 610 square kilometre wilderness sanctuary in the spectacular northern Flinders Ranges.
It is a rugged landscape of mountains, towering granite peaks, ancient seabeds, magnificent gorges and scattered water holes that create little oases in an otherwise dry landscape.
It is also a tough, testing and spectacular 4WD location and where Nissan chose to farewell its iconic Y61 Patrol after being sold here for the past 20 years.
It is not exactly the de
- In the cutthroat world of automotive design, the ability to see a concept model through to production virtually unchanged is akin to the Holy Grail – something the all-new Lexus LC500 has just pulled off.
The LC500 was a celebrated showstopper at this year’s North American International Auto Show, but the sleek, low-slung coupe was based on Lexus’ LF-LC, a show car that was first unveiled in 2012 and seen as a window into the future of design at Japan’s foremost luxury c
- The “fastest seven-seat diesel SUV in the world,” as its maker claims, has hit Aussie terra firma and I’m surely not the only observer to view the concept around the 2017 Audi SQ7 TDI with a degree of logic-driven skepticism.
Even the concept is tricky to pin down: does the new large-SUV tree-topper from Ingolstadt favour performance? Or sportiness? Or both? And why would you need lots of either, or both, in a device intrinsically purposed for hauling half of the under-nines s
- The 2017 Audi SQ7 has arrived Down Under, with Audi Australia claiming that its performance-focused flagship large SUV holds the mantle of “the most-powerful diesel SUV in the country” and “fastest seven-seat diesel SUV in the world.”
Available as a single configuration, the SQ7 4.0 TDI quattro, to give it its full name, has just gone on sale for $153,616 before on-road cost. That’s $56,761 more expensive than the entry Q7 3.0 TDI 160kW and $48,761 pricier than the
- Initial specifications for the Australia-bound 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia have been announced this week ahead of the all-new sedan’s local launch in February.
Alfa Romeo’s competitor to the likes of the Mercedes-Benz C-Class and BMW 3 Series will be offered in four trim levels, with four different powertrains and the highest adult occupant protection score ever achieved in Euro NCAP crash testing history.
The four-tier line-up will consist of the Giulia, Giulia Super, Giulia Veloce
- German regulators are investigating whether Porsche illegally manipulated fuel economy data on its vehicles, potentially opening a new front in parent Volkswagen's emissions-cheating scandal.
- httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AtXzca-zSYThe hardcore Mercedes-AMG GT R has joined the supercar elite this week, lapping the famed Nurburgring Nordschleife circuit in 7 minutes and 10 seconds.
In a video released by Sport Auto, the bright green GT R is seen flinging through the challenging race track, driven by Christian Gebhardt.
Powered by an uprated version of the 4.0-litre twin-turbo V8 in the AMG GT S, the GT R produces 430kW of power and 700Nm of torque.All that grunt
- Several BMW Group models have been recalled this week, including the 2012 BMW 5 Series GT, 7 Series and Rolls-Royce Phantom, over concerns a faulty sensor could cause the front airbags and seat belt pretensioners to not deploy.
In affected models, the crash data may not be evaluated correctly by the central safety sensor if the vehicle is involved in a frontal or rear-end collision.
BMW says if the pretensioners or the front airbags do not deploy, it could increase the risk of injury to oc
- UPDATE: The Rolls-Royce model affected was listed incorrectly on the government recalls website. It was the Ghost Series I affected, not the Phantom.
Several BMW Group models have been recalled this week, including the 2012 BMW 5 Series GT, 7 Series and Rolls-Royce Ghost Series I, over concerns a faulty sensor could cause the front airbags and seat belt pretensioners to not deploy.
In affected models, the crash data may not be evaluated correctly by the central safety sensor if the vehicle
- Light sedan market shrinks as Mitsubishi withdraws its booted Mirage from sale
- No diesel but big growth planned for new CR-V, according to Honda
Follow @Automotive_AU_ on Twitter!