The Queensland Police Service (QPS) has nabbed over 600 speeding motorists since late December thanks to its new trailer speed cameras.
Five of the mobile speed cameras were deployed across Queensland’s busiest roads on December 23 as part of the Christmas road safety campaign.
Since then, 647 high-end speeding motorists have been caught in a matter of weeks, including one driver who was detected travelling 161km/h in a 110km/h zone on the Bruce Highway at Mons on the Sunshine C
- The facelifted 2018 Ford Mustang was revealed earlier this week, but the Blue Oval may have been hiding an extra member of the family in the new pony car’s press shots.
In an image of the Mustang’s dash, another Mustang can be seen in the background, and it clearly has a ‘Boss 302’ decal on the front quarter panel, with the stripe extending across the lower section of the door.
While it is clear the photobomber is the previous-generation Mustang, which off
- Nissan has announced it will commence on-road demonstrations of autonomous vehicles on London’s public roads from February.
A modified Nissan Leaf will allow government officials, along with technical and safety experts, to experience and test the technology in a real-world environment.
The program will be Nissan’s first demonstrations of autonomous technology on European public roads, and is the next step in the Japanese company’s ‘Intelligent Mobility&ls
- The upcoming BMW X7 has been spied again during development testing, this time on the snowy roads of Sweden.
Like the vehicle spotted last year, BMW is giving little away when it comes to the new SUV’s styling, with plenty of swirly black-and-white camouflage and pre-production lighting packages concealing the X7’s lines.
Set to become the Bavarian brand’s SUV king when it arrives around 2018/2019, the X7 will prioritise luxury and comfort, and compete with the likes of t
CarAdvice podcast 36: Commodore limited editions, new Mustang, Ignis review, Jamie Whincup and HiLux v Colorado!Broadcasting from the Melbourne CarAdvice office this week, join Paul, Mandy and Mike Stevens where they keep you up to date with the biggest car news of the week, including 2017 MG GS pricing and specs, Lexus Sport Yacht concept unveiled, Holden Commodore limited-edition models, 2018 Ford Mustang revealed with new face and more power, 2017 Suzuki Ignis pricing and specs and New Suzuki Jimny Sierra to remain a hardcore ladder-frame 4×4.
Mike Costello reviews the cute 2017
CarAdvice podcast 36: Commodore limited-editions, 2018 Mustang revealed, Suzuki Ignis review, Jamie Whincup and HiLux and Colorado comparison!Broadcasting from the Melbourne CarAdvice office this week, join Paul, Mandy and Mike Stevens where they keep you up to date with the biggest car news of the week, including 2017 MG GS pricing and specs, Lexus Sport Yacht concept unveiled, Holden Commodore limited-edition models, 2018 Ford Mustang revealed with new face and more power, 2017 Suzuki Ignis pricing and specs and New Suzuki Jimny Sierra to remain a hardcore ladder-frame 4×4.
Mike Costello reviews the cute 2017
- Ride-hailing company Uber Technologies said it hired the man behind Google search to work closely with CEO Travis Kalanick and help grow the company's self-driving car program.
- Minutes after his inauguration, President Donald Trump signaled plans to withdraw the U.S.
- Alongside the naturally aspirated 5.0-litre V8 in the all-new Lexus LC500 coupe which arrives on Australian shores in May, buyers will also be able to opt for the LC500h (above, right), which features a Lexus next-generation hybrid power system.
Lexus claims the new system offers an enhanced driving experience with increased performance and efficiency through a new multi-stage hybrid system that marries elements of a traditional full hybrid powertrain – including a 3.5-litre V6 petrol eng
- Ford Motor said Friday that a change in how it accounts for pensions will result in a $2 billion hit to its 2016 net income, according to a document filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Ford, aiming to reduce emissions and operating costs, is teaming up with city officials in London to launch a year-long test of 20 Transit Custom plug-in hybrid vans.
- Swiss engineering firm ABB plans to build a $90-million randd center in Montréal, where Canadians will help develop some of the next-generation technologies for electric vehicles.
- httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6hjhFuQIboDodge has released a pair of teaser videos for the upcoming Challenger SRT Demon, which is expected to become the new flagship model in the muscle car’s range.
The short clips, the first of several teaser videos in a series called ‘Cage’, show a metal cat being transformed into a demon, while the second mentions a weight reduction, suggesting that the Demon will be an evolution of the Challenger Hellcat while also being light
- Toyota, scolded by President Donald Trump over a planned plant in Mexico, relied on the country for less than 7 percent of its record North American output last year.
- The push to bring self-driving cars to American roads got a significant boost on Thursday when the nation's chief auto safety regulator essentially cleared Tesla's Autopilot system of fault in a fatal 2016 crash.
- Volkswagen Australia’s research suggests at least one-in-five Tiguan buyers will go for the hotted-up 162TSI Highline derivative.
The pseudo Golf GTI on stilts will arrive next week at a starting price of $48,490 plus on-road costs, around $54k drive-away, slotting it just below the 140TDI Highline.
Yet the Tiguan 162TSI is shaping up to be a top-seller within its line-up. VW Australia believes 25 per cent of initial Tiguan orders will be for this performance derivativ
- Suburban garages can be something of a puzzle.
Part everyday storage solution, part potential treasure trove, their big doors do a great job of hiding the riches within.
These doors spend the majority of their lives closed, but have you ever wondered what they could be hiding?
I’m sure I’m not the only person who has imagined whether the nice old lady at number six has some fantastic, classic metal squirreled away under a sheet behind the B&D. A languishing reminder of
- In late 2015, Audi Australia locally launched what was, at the time, the most potent and capable of its TT sportscar range, the 2016 Audi TT S Coupe, with heavier and slightly slower Roadster version right in its wheel tracks.
It wanted for $99,900 before on-roads and, despite losing 18kW somewhere on the boat trip across the big pond, was deemed to be “properly quick”, offering “tremendous grip, precise handling and solid sportiness” despite being quite pricey and lacki
- ‘Build and Buy’ internet shopping extended to all-new Subaru Impreza
- Local car sales just 7.4 per cent of market last year as Toyota, GMH set final run
- The 2017 Kia Rio has launched with a starting price of $16,990 as part of a three-grade range that sees the new B-segment car stretch to $22,990, seeing it match the existing car.
The fourth-generation Kia Rio brings a host of in-car technology advancements, as well as a more spacious cabin and cargo capacity. Despite those leaps, the light hatch retains the tried, tested and somewhat ageing 1.4-litre four-cylinder petrol engine with 74kW of power and 133Nm, matched to a four-speed automatic tr
- AS110 details emerge but Alpine still holds its hand close ahead of Geneva debut
- Open-top Huayra Roadster to debut at Geneva as Pagani’s show-stopping hypercar
- Sometimes we don’t just borrow cars from manufacturers, we buy them – and that’s exactly what we’ve done with our latest long-termer, the 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLX+.
This dual-cab, diesel-powered, four-wheel-drive ute is one of the best value mainstream models on the market. You can get the six-speed manual version for $35,990 drive-away, and the five-speed auto model we have here can be had at $38,490 drive-away. At the moment there’s even a $2000 factory bonus on
- The 2017 Alfa Romeo Stelvio First Edition has been revealed this week, based on the Ti model that sits below the hero Quadrifoglio variant.
Even without the Quadrofoglio’s aggressive body kit, wheels, tyres and quad-exhaust outlets, the Stelvio First Edition is clearly intended to win buyers chasing a sporting look for their SUV.
Standard kit on the First Edition include 20-inch alloy wheels, bi-xenon headlights with LED daytime-running lights, coloured brake calipers and lashin
- More customers picking high-riders for their city manners says Suzuki
- Range Rover Evoque, Disco Sport recall for possible improper engine harness install
- Aussie Alpinas can now be tricked-out with a Drexler Motorsport mechanical LSD
- Sinodinos upbeat about prospects for ‘high-value’ manufacturing, including suppliers
- A new charge card is now all that is needed for BMWi owners to access New Zealand’s largest network of charging stations. BMW’s ChargeNow network is operated by Charge Net NZ, providing customers more than Read More
- Expect to see LaFerrari Apertas in Aus as customers import their private cars
- Australian automotive firm Bapcor is firmly on route to a complete takeover of Hellaby Holdings by lifting its shareholding to 78.4% from 71.4%. According to BusinessDesk, Bapcor plans to sell Hellaby’s equipment, resources and footwear Read More
- This story first appeared in the January issue of AutoTalk – CLICK HERE to download the magazine FREE Motorcycle sales were down slightly in 2016 – not able to match the learner motorcycle boom of 2015 Read More
- This story first appeared in the January issue of AutoTalk – CLICK HERE to download the magazine FREE Up to $45 million could be added to arrival costs if vehicle imports are relocated from the Waitemata Read More
- Welcome to the CarAdvice.com News Desk, a regular video wrap of the latest happenings in the automotive world and Australia’s new-car market.
Keeping you in the loop, Tegan Lawson presents a weekly video from the CarAdvice Garage, with everything you need to know about the week in news and reviews.
What happened in the week ending January 20, 2017? Catch our video above, and links to the full stories below.
THE WEEK IN NEWSThe details of three Holden Commod
- Vehicle financier Marac Finance has a new boss, with Heartland Bank – Marac’s parent – naming Air New Zealand deputy finance boss David Mackrell as its new chief financial officer. The incoming CFO will start Read More
- Australia was a key driver in Mazda’s decision to enter a joint-venture (JV) arrangement with Isuzu Ute to collaborate on the next-generation BT-50 and D-Max ute/pickup trucks, due around 2020.
As announced in July, the two Japanese companies ditched existing ute JVs (Mazda with Ford, Isuzu with General Motors, which we already know plans to move upmarket with the next Colorado) and buddied up to better amortise costs.
The basic agreement will see Isuzu produce the next generati
- The Cox Automotive Australia merger has been officially finalised and will see the new company work with a majority of Australian new and used car dealers. The merger covers CarsGuide, Dealer Solutions, Manheim and Sell Read More
- The next-generation Mercedes-Benz GLA has been spied this week, despite the facelifted current-generation model debuting in Detroit only a week ago.
While this test mule looks very similar to the A-Class prototype that has been spotted over the past year, this vehicle is believed to be a GLA due to its higher ride height, chunkier wheel and tyre package along with what looks to be a slightly wider track.
Like the current generation, the new GLA should share its underpinnings with the
- McLaren has previewed the successor to its 650S supercar, scheduled to be revealed on March 7 at the Geneva motor show.
The second-generation of the company’s ‘Super Series‘ range is claimed to be twice as aerodynamically efficient as the current 650S, along with 15 per cent better cooling efficiency.
In the single image released this week, the new McLaren appears to have a thin LED tail-light akin to the P1 hypercar and recent ‘Sports Series‘ models, along wi
- More than a dozen automakers this week recalled another 652,000 vehicles with Takata airbag inflators in the U.S.
- Robot cars will be put through their paces by researchers and federal regulators at 10 test tracks designated by the U.S. as official sites for validating the technology.
- Koons of Silver Spring has launched Total Confidence Pricing, which includes a 30-day guarantee on the price buyers paid for a new vehicle.
- After a bit of back-and-forth between the Ford F-150 and Chevrolet Silverado, in December, the F-150 reclaimed its spot as the winner of the Twitter engagement race among pickups in December, according to ListenFirst Media.
- Billionaire investor Carl Icahn, after nearly a year of posturing with Federal-Mogul's shareholders, will take full ownership of the diversified auto parts supplier in a roughly $300 million deal.
- California sent a warning shot in a potential showdown with the incoming Trump administration, with the state's clean-air regulators digging in on mandates for an ever-greater number of electric and fuel-cell cars.
- IBM's Watson has struck again. The machine learning program, which has emerged as a popular tool for agencies and marketers, is powering a new highly targeted digital campaign for Toyota that uses an algorithm to generate ad scripts.
- I’m both excited and nervous about the arrival of the autonomous car.
Seeing firsthand at CES 2017 just how dedicated the automotive industry and the big-name tech brands are to making cars that won’t need to be driven, was an eye-opener for me.
It sounds like a future world full of promise: people won’t need to worry about driving their car home if they’re too tired or too drunk to drive. They won’t need to concentrate on the road if they have something else
- I heard a quote in a film the other day, “it only takes one unicorn to exist for all the stories to be true”. Worth noting too, that the rest of the film, Barbie Princess Farirytopia was poorly animated, seizure inducing drek, but the line stuck with me.
It is a poignant statement about something that isn’t proven to exist and yet seems so possible, who’s very existence changes the game as we know it.
The thinking can be related to cars, where one particular unicorn
Follow @Automotive_AU_ on Twitter!